Motoring Discussion > Unmarked HGV'S Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ateca chris Replies: 31

Unmarked HGV'S - Ateca chris
tinyurl.com/kdpb2vg

Unmarked HGV'S - Dave_
They've been doing this for over a year on the M6 between Birmingham and Manchester.

They're easy to spot; two people in an unsignwritten solo tractor unit with no 56mph limiter.
 Unmarked HGV'S - henry k
>> They've been doing this for over a year on the M6 between Birmingham and Manchester.
>>
>> They're easy to spot; two people in an unsignwritten solo tractor unit with no 56mph
>> limiter.
>>
Not too many HGVs bob tailing. I do not recall the last one I saw.

The well known Angus Nairn
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=13596
 Unmarked HGV'S - Pat
They have been doing it for the last five years an all motorways to target HGV's.

They use unmarked units WITH a plain trailer, either a box trailer or curtainsider, so not so easy to spot!

The units are 'loaned' to the Police by the main dealers and are demonstrator models.

Volvo, Scania, MAN and Mercedes seem to be the regular ones.

The only thing new about this is they seem to be targeting car drivers, but I can't see them driving past a lorry driver without a seat belt on and ignoring it, can you?

Pat
 Unmarked HGV'S - MD
The whole phone/driving thing is becoming a plague.
 Unmarked HGV'S - Fursty Ferret
>> The whole phone/driving thing is becoming a plague.
>>

No excuses. Professional driver on the phone? 30 day ban.
 Unmarked HGV'S - Duncan
I fail to understand why any professional driver, whether it be car, van or lorry hasn't bought themselves either a wired earpiece or a Jabra like device.

20 quid, job done. Why are they so resistant?
 Unmarked HGV'S - Zero
>> I fail to understand why any professional driver, whether it be car, van or lorry
>> hasn't bought themselves either a wired earpiece or a Jabra like device.
>>
>> 20 quid, job done. Why are they so resistant?

There will always be a time when you don't have the earpiece in your ear, or with you, or the battery will be flat, or or or or

The only sure fire thing is default passive. Ie when your phone enters the car bluetooth connects to it and is always active when the car is running. Car docking.

Its about the only thing bluetooth is good for.
 Unmarked HGV'S - mikeyb

>> The only sure fire thing is default passive. Ie when your phone enters the car
>> bluetooth connects to it and is always active when the car is running. Car docking.
>>
>> Its about the only thing bluetooth is good for.
>>

Its becoming a lot more standard these days.

I had 3 different hire cars this week - the lowliest being a fairly basic astra and even that had bluetooth

Unmarked HGV'S - Old Navy
No excuse these days, even my little Yaris roller skate has Bluetooth, it downloads contacts, has speed dials, and does loads more stuff that I don't use. The phone integration is excellent.

Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 7 Feb 15 at 09:54
 Unmarked HGV'S - PeterS
The only hire car I had last year, out of what must have been over 30 cars, that didn't have bluetooth was a basic VW Polo. But that didn't even have remote central locking either!!
 Unmarked HGV'S - Dave_
New Polos and Beetles come with a dealer-fit Bluetooth add-on. Or should, anyway :)
 Unmarked HGV'S - R.P.
Its about the only thing bluetooth is good for.

You're almost right....it's very good at tethering a mobile to an iPad...
 Unmarked HGV'S - Zero
>> Its about the only thing bluetooth is good for.
>>
>> You're almost right....it's very good at tethering a mobile to an iPad...

not really, range is an issue and why tether bluetooth when you can tether wifi?
 Unmarked HGV'S - henry k
>>Its about the only thing bluetooth is good for.

i am happy that my car has bluetooth except for one aspect.
I seem to get calls immediately just after I have parked and locked the doors.
I then need to switch off bluetooth to answer the call.
Need an upgrade that knows I am out of the car and it is locked so override the link.
 Unmarked HGV'S - R.P.
Funnily enough henry I was thinking about that. Reading the Volvo's Bluetooth smallprint, I find that when certain conditions are met, it will cause the phone not to ring and to go to voicemail...reducing the driver's workload....
 Unmarked HGV'S - Simon
Bluetooth and hands free kits aren't much use if you are browising ebay whilst driving...
 Unmarked HGV'S - Tigger
I passed one LGV on the M40 who was clearly reading a paperback. Easy to spot something was amiss as he kept wandering into the hard shoulder
 Unmarked HGV'S - Simon
Oops double post...
Last edited by: Simon on Sat 7 Feb 15 at 10:34
 Unmarked HGV'S - Runfer D'Hills
Did you go over a bump while typing that Simon?

;-)
 Unmarked HGV'S - bathtub tom
>>I seem to get calls immediately just after I have parked and locked the doors.
I then need to switch off bluetooth to answer the call.

Mine doesn't do that, 'phone gives a tone as soon as it's out of range of the car, or the car's switched off.

I was parked up the other day on the 'phone vie bluetooth and the car wouldn't start until I terminated the call, at which point the connection was re-established automatically. Can't find that in the handbook.
 Unmarked HGV'S - Dave_
>> I was parked up the other day on the 'phone vie bluetooth and the car
>> wouldn't start until I terminated the call, at which point the connection was re-established automatically.
>> Can't find that in the handbook.

I deliver and hand over all kinds of cars BT, and I've never come across that one. Could it have been that you didn't have the clutch pressed down as your usual routine was disturbed by taking the call? Most cars now have a clutch pedal* interlock to prevent inadvertent starting in gear.

In my experience, virtually everything since 59 reg has Bluetooth built in.

*Brake pedal on automatics.
 Unmarked HGV'S - bathtub tom
>>Could it have been that you didn't have the clutch pressed down as your usual routine was disturbed by taking the call?

That was my first thought and I made several attempts, repeatedly pressing the clutch hard down. I was surprised at the immediate re-connection once the engine was running.
 Unmarked HGV'S - BobbyG
I had the works van in for MOT and I was sitting in the viewing room. Phone went a few times but everytime I answered there was no one on the other end.

Of course, until the MOT tester came over and told me there was some guy in the van's speakers shouting at me to sort my b***** phone!!
 Unmarked HGV'S - sooty123
>> >>Its about the only thing bluetooth is good for.

It's must be annoying having the phone going whilst driving, it does me. Any reasonable length of journey and I switch it off until I've finished driving.
 Unmarked HGV'S - mikeyb
>> >> >>Its about the only thing bluetooth is good for.
>>
>> It's must be annoying having the phone going whilst driving, it does me. Any reasonable
>> length of journey and I switch it off until I've finished driving.
>>

Opposite for me - if I'm stuck in the car for a couple of hours its good use of my time to make some calls
 Unmarked HGV'S - VxFan
>> i am happy that my car has bluetooth except for one aspect.
>> I seem to get calls immediately just after I have parked and locked the doors.
>> I then need to switch off bluetooth to answer the call.
>> Need an upgrade that knows I am out of the car and it is locked
>> so override the link.

I have a portable Bluetooth device that clips to the sun visor. If I answer the phone via the button on the Bluetooth device it takes the call through it. If however I answer the phone via the handset it takes the call through that instead. A menu also comes up on the phone screen offering to switch between phone, Bluetooth or the phones loudspeaker.
 Unmarked HGV'S - henry k
Thanks pat.
I will remember the clues if I ever again venture so far north as the midlands.
 Unmarked HGV'S - Dave_
>> The units are 'loaned' to the Police by the main dealers and are demonstrator models.

I've seen reports on fb groups of de-limited tractor units being used, I can't see dealers tweaking their demo trucks.
 Unmarked HGV'S - jc2
Essex Police supposedly own one-it's used on "A" roads not just "M".
 Unmarked HGV'S - Pat
>> I can't see dealers tweaking their demo trucks<<

Really?? Wouldn't you want the model you let a customer have as a demonstrator to go extremely well? Funny how the 12 bulk buy ones you buy as a result of that demonstrator never perform quite as well, isn't it!

FF the penalties for a professional driver using a phone are actually higher than that already, they have altered this year.

All this discussion about Bluetooth is irrelevant. It isn't the phone calls causing the problem, it's texting and updating Facebook.

The view from a lorry cab into a car reveals an awful lot and I think some will be shocked at the findings if it actually turns out to be car drivers they unmarked vehicle is targeting:)

Pat
 Unmarked HGV'S - MD
The elbows on the wheel checking reams of delivery paperwork p me off.
Latest Forum Posts