Motoring Discussion > NIP/Driving Licence Woes Legal Questions
Thread Author: Badwolf Replies: 22

NIP/Driving Licence Woes - Badwolf
Morning all,

My wife is in a bit of pickle, entirely of her own making. She received an NIP a few days ago for driving at 36mph in a 30mph zone. The car is registered and insured in her married name, but her driving licence is still in her maiden name. I've lost count of the amount of times I've reminded her that she really should send her licence off to be changed. She's still got the old-style paper licence too, another reason to get it changed!

Anyway, what should she do? Would it be in her interests to send her licence off to be changed as soon as possible? Or would it be unlikely to come back before PC Plod wants it to be sent to them? Should she resign herself to a £1000 fine?

Please don't reply telling me what we already know - of course she should have sent it off sooner. We've been married for nearly five years, so it's not as though she's not had the chance!

Thanks in advance :-)
 NIP/Driving Licence Woes - R.P.
Still at the same address ?
Yes.
 NIP/Driving Licence Woes - Harleyman
I would suggest that a fine is highly unlikely. Yes, she should have changed her name on her driving licence, but thousands haven't.

In fact I am willing to bet that she won't even be compelled to change it even after the points have been added if the address hasn't altered since she got the paper licence.

Our car is in Mrs. HM's maiden name since it was her old car that we scrapped to get the discount to buy it; but her licence, because she's renewed it being a vocational driver, is in her married name.

Nothing to worry about.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sat 7 Feb 15 at 11:29
 NIP/Driving Licence Woes - Manatee
Ask at the police station?

Isn't there a change of details section on the paper licence? Complete and sign that before producing.

I agree with HM probably nowt to worry about. Lots of women use two surnames, for different purposes.

Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 7 Feb 15 at 11:36
 NIP/Driving Licence Woes - Runfer D'Hills
Or at at least ask if she could possibly go to a relatively local prison to make visiting a bit easier?

;-)
 NIP/Driving Licence Woes - Duncan
Or at least ask if she could possibly go to remote prison to make visiting out of the question?

:- l
It was a camera van that got her, so there is no producer. I'm presuming that once the camera partnership has received her signed form to acknowledge that she was the driver at the time, they will require her to send in her licence? Or will the points just be added to a central database, given that the paper counterpart is being phased out soon?
From www.northyorkshire.police.uk/11051

"What should I do if my name/address details have changed but my DVLA driving licence has not been updated yet?

To avoid exceeding the fixed penalty time limit you should send North Eastern Fixed Penalty Office the completed payment form, payment and your paper driving licence plus photo card where issued to comply with the fixed penalty. You must where applicable, complete the section on your licence for change of address with a signature and date. No further information or forms are required once your licence has been updated with the required penalty points, it will be returned to you and you will then need to contact the DVLA directly to obtain a replacement licence."
Incidentally, I think the upper limit for a SAC is 10% + either 6 or 9 mph - either way she could be offered a course instead of points.
Thanks Manatee, both very helpful posts. I'm hoping that she's offered a SAC as she's had an SP30 before (ten years ago) so she obviously hasn't learnt. Plus, she's a terrible driver so a SAC may do some good...
 NIP/Driving Licence Woes - Bromptonaut
I agree with HM. Plenty of married women continue to be known professionally or in other irles by their maiden name. Only an issue if there's a suggestion that alternative names were being used to conceal something.
 NIP/Driving Licence Woes - Zero
She can call herself what she likes as long as its not done for fraudulant advantage. It is still a valid name and no offence has been committed. unless the address details are wrong) She is licensed, she is insured so she is legal on the road in every way.

As for the SAC, yes she will be offered one of those.

This is no drama, crisis or pickle
>> This is no drama, crisis or pickle

It is when you've got your missus stressing out and panicking! ;-)
 NIP/Driving Licence Woes - No FM2R
Out of interest, which name is her car insurance in?

Her married name, same as the name the car is registered in. I've often thought that this could lead to problems if stopped by the police as her driving licence is in one name and her insurance is in another which could lead to the car being seized, albeit temporarily.
 NIP/Driving Licence Woes - No FM2R
I'd get the licence changed simply to avoid the inevitable confusion.
 NIP/Driving Licence Woes - Dave_
As Zero says, your wife can call herself what she likes. My daughter uses her mum's new married surname in daily life but has my surname on official documents for college etc.

If she fills in the change of name section on her licence before she sends it off, she'll be fine. The threat of a £1000 fine is only for those folk who break many laws at the same time and drive uninsured wrecks around with abandon.
 NIP/Driving Licence Woes - Zero
>> As Zero says, your wife can call herself what she likes.

Of course the husband cant
call the wife anything he likes
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 7 Feb 15 at 14:18
 NIP/Driving Licence Woes - bathtub tom
>>Of course the husband cant
call the wife anything he likes

Yes he can, out of her earshot!
 NIP/Driving Licence Woes - Robin O'Reliant
He certainly can't call her a terrible driver, unless he has a thing about sleeping in the shed.
 NIP/Driving Licence Woes - Auntie Lockbrakes
Earshot?! Most wives seem to be able to lip-read...
 NIP/Driving Licence Woes - Old Navy
Mines a mind reader. :(
Latest Forum Posts