Motoring Discussion > Hyundai ix35 ix-onic - Ix35 any thoughts Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Citroënian Replies: 25

Hyundai ix35 ix-onic - Ix35 any thoughts - Citroënian
Evening all,

It has been some time since my last confession...or appearance on here! Good to see a lot of familiar names from way back in the days before texting really took off.

Been through a few cars over the years, but am now looking to chop in my 1 series for a nearly new ix35 (SE Nav 1.7 diesel).

Has anyone got much experience of these things? It has about 4 years warranty left on it, do we know if these are pretty much comprehensive (in practice I mean,I've read the site and exclusions etc

Any advice, as ever, much appreciated.
 Hyundai ix35 ix-onic - Ix35 any thoughts - Runfer D'Hills
Not a clue I'm afraid. Looks alright though. I think BobbyG has one.

Welcome back anyway ! There's not many of us left and it's all got a bit inbred but it's still mostly fun. I'm clinging on to what remains of my sanity but watch out for the others especially if there's a full moon.

;-)
 Hyundai ix35 ix-onic - Ix35 any thoughts - BobbyG
Hi there and welcome back.

I have the AWD 2.0crdi "old style" version. Horrific fuel economy (average between 35 and 39) but my colleague has a 1.7 and averages about 45 ish.

Not sure what the spec of yours is and what toys it has - I know they dropped a lot of the standard eqpt with the new model - so I have panoramic roof, 4 heated seats, sat nav etc.

One thing I do find, it crashes and bumps into potholes - it never just "absorbs" . Not sure if that is anything to do with my version and whether its beefed up in any way to take the AWD.

If you have any specific questions, fire away and I will try and answer.
Thanks - the SE NAV seems pretty good spec, half leather, four heated seats, premium hifi, nav, rear camera etc. would have loved the sunroof but not too bothered about the chrome etc on the higher models.

The ones I have been in have been ok on poor roads, but I'm probably comparing it to the mx5 which is a comparatively bumpy ride.

Has anything gone wrong with it in the time you've had it?

Oh- I've driven a couple on the continent that I think were 4WD- does yours have a tendency to strongly self centre on the steering? Almost to the point where it takes some effort to not go in a straight line? Weird question in know, but I did about 600miles twice in hired ones and it was a pronounced feature. The shortish test drive I did in a SE yesterday and today (both 2WD) seemed to not have the problem. Maybe it was a tyre thing on the others?

The mileage does seem to be below the brochure from what I read, but 45mpg would do me on something so seemingly big. The 2.0 would be nice, but I've no need for the extra power (I think!)
Only thing that has gone wrong was the reversing camera which was replaced under warranty. A known issue apparently.

Mines does self centre but more so at slow speed - I reckon it must have some sort of speed sensitive steering.

That seems to be the same spec as mine apart from the sunroof but you get the front DRLs as well.

Some other stuff which may or may not be relevant

mirrors don't auto fold in - you need to press the button
auto headlights only come on when it is nearly dark - way past the point that I would normally put them on (this can't be adjusted)
lights don't come on automatically in heavy rain (unlike my Seat Altea)
boot is quite shallow - its great for a dog as there is no lip as such but you won't fit too many suitcases in it.
my car has a full size alloy spare wheel under the boot floor - must be a good weight that is getting lugged around all the time. On the plus side there is enough space around the wheel for all your odds and sods - deicer, scraper, jacket, tyre compressor etc etc
comes with 2 remote control keys
ipod connection is good
various dealer service plans available
regular free software updates for the media system (not maps)
depend on age of vehicle you may have free map upgrades, failing that it is £129 for 4 updates from the dealer
and you need to buy one of these -hyundai-ix35.sgpetch.co.uk/pages/accessories/detail/model=300/category=ROOT-extras/accessory=Ice+%26+Sun+Screen+/id=10138 covers windscreen and both side windows great accessory

Hyundai ix35 ix-onic - Ix35 any thoughts - Old Navy
One thing which may save you grief, mine had keyless entry / start. The rear hatch will unlock if the "key" is within about a couple of metres of the rear hatch, so it always appears to be unlocked when you open it with the key on your person, (almost always). The only way to check that the rear hatch locks is to not have the key in your pocket. Other than that an 0K motor, poor fuel consumption, sunroof prone to sticking / juddering.
And FWIW, if my car had to get written off tomorrow or stolen or whatever , I would seriously consider replacing it with one of the last "old style" Qashqais in the 1.6 diesel variety. They came with full spec, £30 road tax and achievable early to mid 50s mpg.

Although I have heard their door mirrors are expensive to replace if you are a very careless driver!
 Hyundai ix35 ix-onic - Ix35 any thoughts - Runfer D'Hills
Have you now?
Yeah read it on some forum - it was the guy's wife, he was raging with her incompetence but felt he couldn't say as she wears the trousers in that house.....
Thanks Chaps. Have gone for a 1.7TDi SE NAV. Ended up buying unseen from the other end of the country (what japes!) but the deal was good, and the car right for what I want.

Now hoping the previous keeper hasn't been ferrying sheep around in it.

BG- really appreciate the points, I can live with 45mpg it's an improvement on the Beemer.

Tried my ipod 160gb in another SE NAV and it worked really well as you say. No keyless go and so hopefully not an issue for me. Will check out the media upgrades and maps- I've got a TT5000 which I usually use anyhow, the screen will be more useful as a reversing camera.

Going to be a week or so before I get the car, will update once I get have it. Have a 250mile journey home from the dealer so should have a chance to get to know it.

Cheers all
Citroenian, what end of the country are you / the car in?
BG - I'm in Yorkshire, the car's in Edinburgh (-ish)

The car has only done 6,000 miles and is 13 months old so I'm fairly confident that it should be in good order.
Last edited by: Citroënian on Sun 15 Feb 15 at 08:01
Got mine from Arnold's in Portobello in Edinburgh - ex Thrifty Car Hire
BG - Mine is over in Stirling/Falkirk, not far away!
 Hyundai ix35 ix-onic - Ix35 any thoughts - Old Navy
>> BG - Mine is over in Stirling/Falkirk, not far away!
>>

I hope you know which, they are about 15 miles apart. :)
I've got a phone number and a tomtom and some optimism! When I first googled the dealer it put it as in the middle of Kielder forest..even I know that isn't right
SDM?
 Hyundai ix35 ix-onic - Ix35 any thoughts - BiggerBadderDave
Yes Bobby. Size Doesn't Matter.
 Hyundai ix35 ix-onic - Ix35 any thoughts - Auristocrat
Will be replaced by the end of the year with a new model.
Yes apparently new one to be shown at Geneva motorshow....
www.hyundai.co.uk/coming-soon/tucson
 Hyundai ix35 ix-onic - Ix35 any thoughts - Zero
the wheels look like swastikas
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 17 Feb 15 at 21:06
 Hyundai ix35 ix-onic - Ix35 any thoughts - legacylad
Similar to the Austin 18" rims on the GTI
Strange name for a Golf wheel....
 Hyundai ix35 ix-onic - Ix35 any thoughts - rtj70
I prefer the Nogaro wheels on the GTD.
 Hyundai ix35 ix-onic - Ix35 any thoughts - Manatee
>> the wheels look like swastikas

You just reminded me of the possibly apocryphal story of the late John Gardiner's comment to Audi, when he was engaged on making the Auto Union replicas, "all you've got to do is sign the cheques and tell us how big you want the swastikas painted", related here in his obituary.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1564185/John-Gardiner.html
Looks a lot more modern - the interior is very like the Sportage

Outside I'm not sure, it looks a bit Mondeo-ey at the front, back end has some Tiguan cues and the wheels make the car look quite small (maybe it is....

Still, I guess you can't ever really tell until you see it in the metal
Latest Forum Posts