Motoring Discussion > All diesel cars to get Adblue Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 34

All diesel cars to get Adblue - Old Navy
Adblue will be available from a Halfords near you from April. There is an article about it in this weeks Auto Express.

www.gilbarco.com/eu/content/are-you-ready
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 12 Feb 15 at 22:48
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - Lygonos
Could always make your own Adblue boiling your pee til it's 32% urea....
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - Pat
That article is dated October 2013

Pat
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - Dave_
Most new diesel cars have had AdBlue for the last year or so... The look of bamboozlement on the drivers' faces when I show them the filler. Sheesh.

EDIT: My 2007 lorry has it. Use is approx. 3 litres AdBlue per 100 litres diesel. Your mileage may vary.

We tell car drivers they'll get between 4,000 and 8,000 miles per fill.
Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Fri 13 Feb 15 at 06:42
>> Most new diesel cars have had AdBlue for the last year or so...

It was news to me, and as you say, to a lot of diesel car drivers. My 2014 diesel does not use it but only has a lawnmower sized engine.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 13 Feb 15 at 08:31
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - IJWS14
Mine (2 year old passat) does not but the manual has a section on it, I looked for the filler and mine does not have one.

Some of the new Passats do.
>> That article is dated October 2013
>>
>> Pat
>>

It was a quick easy one to find as the AE article was not online as I posted.
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - Focusless
>> Adblue

Diesel exhaust fluid (DEF), commonly referred to as AdBlue in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, and standardised as ISO 22241 is an aqueous urea solution made with 32.5% high-purity urea (AUS 32) and 67.5% deionized water. DEF is used as a consumable in selective catalytic reduction (SCR) in order to lower NOx concentration in the diesel exhaust emissions from diesel engines.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust_fluid
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - RichardW
Available on most garage forecourts now. I dread to think how much the dealer will charge to fill it up at service time.... Apparently on the Citroen system is monitors the level - gives a warning when it gets low, then if it runs out, shuts the engine down and won't allow a re-start. Cue lots of diesels stopped on the hard shoulder because they've run out of additive!
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - Zero

>> shuts the engine down and won't allow a re-start. Cue lots of diesels stopped on
>> the hard shoulder because they've run out of additive!

No problem, as its urea, at least you are carrying a spare litre or so around with you.
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - MD
LITRE!!!
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - CGNorwich
I've put Adblue in my petrol car.
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - Slidingpillar
I was always told, the human bladder holds approximately 400ml. Perhaps Zero's other job is that of a racehorse...
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - Bromptonaut
No need for it in our Berlingo but there were information leaflets about Adblue on the counter last time it went in for a service.

Renault truck dealer on the Weedon Road sells it in bulk - 5000 litres anybody?
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - sherlock47

>>>No need for it in our Berlingo but there were information leaflets about Adblue on the counter last time it went in for a service. <<<

Are you sure that your new Berlingo (or is it a petrol?) does not use an additive? Upto recently the diesel 1.6 used an eolys injection systenm that was supposed to last 75k. Best described as looking like a colostomy bag.

My 2006 Picasso 16 Hdi 90 had no dpf and was more fuel efficient than the current e hDi 90!

They have now installed a new type of system but not sure what it is? Possibly Adblue compatible?
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - Bromptonaut

>> Are you sure that your new Berlingo (or is it a petrol?) does not use
>> an additive? Upto recently the diesel 1.6 used an eolys injection systenm that was supposed
>> to last 75k. Best described as looking like a colostomy bag.

It may well use an additive for the DPF to enable the soot to be burned off (regeneration) It's not adblue which as I understand it is catalyst designed to reduce NOx levels.
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - Manatee
www.citroen-owners-club.co.uk/citroen/topic/21849-bye-bye-eolys-fluid-hello-adblue/

Although the reaction with adblue is catalysed, adblue itself is consumed in the reaction hence the volume required.

As you say the process is to reduce NOx (good pun there).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust_fluid

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_catalytic_reduction
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - sherlock47
M

Thanks for those adblue links - it is all clear now?
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - rtj70
I did wonder what the SCR was with regards the new 190PS diesel engine in the Passat. It also explains how the 190PS SCR engine has lower CO2 emissions - I know AdBlue is there to reduce NOx.
I assume there would be a small increase in CO2 from using adblue - the Ox stripped off the N ends up as CO2, attached to carbon supplied by the urea.

A problem with running diesel engines too lean is the NOx levels. However - if using adblue to (almost) eliminate NOx, then perhaps the engine can run sufficiently leaner in the first place, enough to more than offset the CO2 contribution from SCR - giving a net reduction in CO2, soot, and fuel consumption?

I admit to not having read all the Wiki stuff, so that could be rubbish.
>> I was always told, the human bladder holds approximately 400ml. Perhaps Zero's other job is
>> that of a racehorse...

Well thats clearly rubbish, I'll easily drink 2 litres of beer on an evening session . Ok I'll accept that some of it may well be in the refinery, or in the distribution network before it gets to the pump.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 13 Feb 15 at 10:16
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - Mike Hannon
Didn't Gilbarco used to make petrol pumps?
What's the difference between this stuff and the liquid you had to put in Citroens and Peugeots a few years ago? A system that, in my friends' experience, gave many problems and lined dealers' pockets.
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - R.P.
Buy a petrol car.
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - Cliff Pope
>> Buy a petrol car.
>>

It sounds suspiciously like Redex, added as "shots" on the garage forecourt from a thing looking like a fire extinguisher.
why do they not just sell diesel with the adblue already added?
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - Alastairw
I suspect it would separate in the tank, either floating on top of the diesel or sinking to the bottom.
>> I suspect it would separate in the tank, either floating on top of the diesel
>> or sinking to the bottom.
>>

Will cause huge problems if you are the sort of idiot that puts the wrong stuff in your fuel tank and stick Adblue in the diesel by mistake

From the Adblue site

"If you put DEF into the wrong tank (your diesel tank) it can cause serious problems for you. Essentially, it would mean you were putting water into your diesel tank. Water can cause severe problems within the engine, like causing the fuel injector tips to explode, or cause sudden cooling in the engine. So, if you did accidentally put DEF into the wrong tank, what can you do? Unfortunately, you will likely have to drain the tank, put in a new filter, and bleed the system."

www.goblue.com.au/the-facts-qa.html
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 13 Feb 15 at 22:51
>>why do they not just sell diesel with the adblue already added?

The urea solution needs to be injected in the exhaust, not the cylinders.
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - rtj70
>> >>why do they not just sell diesel with the adblue already added?

>> The urea solution needs to be injected in the exhaust, not the cylinders.

That's my understanding too.

An update on MPG for my 1.4T Audi... around town it's similar to the Passat CC 170PS diesel. Probably a little down on MPG. But cheaper fuel. For longer runs I've not done so many. Got within 5mpg of best Passat/A3 MPG. Again petrol is cheaper.

Am I glad I got an Audi A3 - I like it a lot.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 13 Feb 15 at 22:41
Apart form the inconvenience of your car being set up so that it wont run
if the Adblue runs out there is also a small but significant cost. Adblue costs around £1.50 a litre and VAG estimate one and a half litres should last around 620 miles for a car although its usage will depend on how much the engine is under load.

If you run out or the garage doesn't have the stuff you can put it in yourself. It's a bit of a faff though.To refill the tank, a fill adaptor must be screwed onto the AdBlue refill container, which can then be screwed onto the filler neck of the AdBlue tank. By applying pressure to the bottle, the valve in the fill adaptor opens allowing the AdBlueto fill the tank.

I would think its going to be another reason why people wont be buying diesel cars in future
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - Dave_
>> >>why do they not just sell diesel with the adblue already added?
>>
>> The urea solution needs to be injected in the exhaust, not the cylinders.

Misfuelling with AdBlue is a significant problem; even though the pumps look completely different, the prices are different, the nozzles are different sizes, the tank necks are different sizes, most trucks have big labels on each tank, and one product is slimy and noxious whilst the other looks like water and smells like pee, it's not unusual to find AdBlue contamination in the diesel system.

Our 13 plate Isuzu 7.5t truck went into the garage with running issues, the diagnosis was that quite a lot of AdBlue had been added to the fuel system... on an EGR vehicle which doesn't use AdBlue and therefore doesn't have a tank for it. Can't get the staff.

On a separate note, don't splash it down your trousers or on your shoes. It dries leaving white dusty crystals which pong to high heaven.
Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Fri 13 Feb 15 at 23:18
You may well see the return of the 2-stroke on the back of very clever independent engineers like Bert Fruin.

He lived and worked 1/2 a mile from where I lived as a young man. This is a man who put 4 NSU Quickly engines into an MV Augusta frame linked obviously on one crank! He was a underrated Genius. I met him a couple of times, but at that age we knew the square root of **ger all. Oh! to have sat with him and understood. Give me his knowledge in lieu of a big win..
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - bathtub tom
>>You may well see the return of the 2-stroke

I doubt it. IIRC Ford were playing around with a 2-T engine in the Fiesta many years ago. A company in Australia were doing the engine development work. It was looking very promising, but then emissions regulations got in the way. There was no way you could push a 2-T exhaust through a catalytic converter without causing problems.
 All diesel cars to get Adblue - Armel Coussine
>> There was no way you could push a 2-T exhaust through a catalytic converter without causing problems.

Er... remove the innards from the converter, damn stupid Heath Robinson American thing no use to man or beast, no further problems after that.
>> I'll easily drink 2 litres of beer on an evening session

Home after an hour then
Latest Forum Posts