Motoring Discussion > M1 three dead in crash with coach Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 12

M1 three dead in crash with coach - Manatee
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-31469329

Car said to have been stationary on hard shoulder. Northbound M1 near Flitwick.
 M1 three dead in crash with coach - bathtub tom
There's no hard shoulder as you pass J12 Northbound, it's 4-lane working. The inside lane becomes a hard shoulder/4th lane just beyond, depending on signage.

Wonder if confusion caused it?
 M1 three dead in crash with coach - Bromptonaut
Latest reports are that (unsurprisingly) the coach driver has been arrested.
 M1 three dead in crash with coach - Zero
>> Latest reports are that (unsurprisingly) the coach driver has been arrested.

He's going to need a good excuse for that one. (based on initial reports)
 M1 three dead in crash with coach - henry k
Bedfordshire Police said the double-decker coach collided with the Audi while it was stationary on the hard shoulder.
 M1 three dead in crash with coach - Pat
Why didn't they get out of the car, over the barrier and stand up the bank? Such good advice but so often never taken.

Could it be one message for redundant matrix signs?

Pat
>> Why didn't they get out of the car, over the barrier and stand up the
>> bank? Such good advice but so often never taken.
>>
>> Could it be one message for redundant matrix signs?
>>
>> Pat

While it hadn't happened here 'out of car, onto the verge and wear hi-viz' is one of those public information messages that does seem to have caught. We were commenting on it with Miss B's young man and his Dad while supporting their JoGLE last summer.
 M1 three dead in crash with coach - Zero
>> Why didn't they get out of the car, over the barrier and stand up the
>> bank? Such good advice but so often never taken.
>>
>> Could it be one message for redundant matrix signs?

I would have thought "Obstruction in the road" warning the coach driver would have been better. It was probably telling him not to drink or drive, or the next 50 miles could be done in 50 minutes.
 M1 three dead in crash with coach - BiggerBadderDave
"Why didn't they get out of the car, over the barrier and stand up the bank? Such good advice but so often never taken."

Absolutely. I'd get get my family over that barrier asap. I might add that you should always keep a big umbrella in the boot.
 M1 three dead in crash with coach - Haywain
"Why didn't they get out of the car, over the barrier and stand up the bank?"

Do we know how long they'd been there? Maybe they had only just stopped and hadn't had time to get out?
 M1 three dead in crash with coach - Ted

When we broke down with the caravan on tow a few years ago, if we'd jumped over the Armco we'd have been splatterated all over the slip road from the M55 to the M6.
 M1 three dead in crash with coach - BobbyG
There is a small stretch of the M8 through Glasgow just after the Springburn junction that there is no hard shoulder and the motorway is actually a bridge over the road below.

Never forget the time driving home one evening in the dark, raining and there was a broken down motorbike on the inside lane with the rider on the other side of the crash barrier.

I hope the guy knew that he was actually just balanced on the edge of a bridge with a largeish fall underneath him onto the road below!

Would hate to think of what the reflex reaction would have been if a vehicle had came along the inside lane close to where he was!
My Father told a story of someone who tried to escape to safety after a crash by hopping over the parapet of Barton Bridge.
Latest Forum Posts