Motoring Discussion > KIA - Is BMW copying?
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 31

KIA - Is BMW copying? - movilogo
www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows/bmw-2-series-gran-tourer-revealed-ahead-geneva-0

Looks surprisingly similar to Kia Carens!!

KIA - Is BMW copying? - Old Navy
Most cars these days are variations of a few standard shapes and sizes. Mainly differentiated by marketing. I doubt if the BMW does anything you can't do with a Carens.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 17 Feb 15 at 10:35
BMW must be getting desperate. First they introduced FWD cars. Then they started copying so called budget brands like Kia :o)

Budget brand, have you seen KIA prices recently?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 17 Feb 15 at 10:46
 KIA - Is BMW copying? - Shiny
BMW models are generally very undesirable to me these days.
 KIA - Is BMW copying? - Bromptonaut
>> BMW models are generally very undesirable to me these days.

Don't think I've seen a BMW I like since the 2002.
 KIA - Is BMW copying? - Focusless
>> >> BMW models are generally very undesirable to me these days.
>>
>> Don't think I've seen a BMW I like since the 2002.

Did you see the JC driving the i8 last Top Gear? He liked it a lot, and it does look pretty nice IMO.
 KIA - Is BMW copying? - MD
>> >> BMW models are generally very undesirable to me these days.
>>
>> Don't think I've seen a BMW I like since the 2002.
>>
Tii
 KIA - Is BMW copying? - Armel Coussine

>> Tii

Heh heh... I had that thought too MD.
 KIA - Is BMW copying? - Zero
Hmmm 2002 turbo- I had one for a few months, not mine it was kind of on loan (long story) in around 1976. The full beans, L/H drive, chin spoiler, white with blue decals....

Hmmmm. Turbo lag? oh yes in spades but what a car!
 KIA - Is BMW copying? - Bromptonaut
Can you translate Tii or me - unless of course it's a variant of the 2002 I vaguely lusted after as a late teenager.
As you say. Lust, lust you say....MY LUST was bigger than yours........:-0)

Variant yes, but not a clue what it stood for, but it hit the spot for a spotty yoof.

iirc the Tii was in italics. Happy days......
>> have you seen KIA prices recently?
Unfortunately I have. I was thinking of getting a Sportage but it has become too pricey!
Last edited by: movilogo on Tue 17 Feb 15 at 12:49
 KIA - Is BMW copying? - R.P.
Horrible...
 KIA - Is BMW copying? - WillDeBeest
I doubt the exterior is a copy of anything; you wouldn't see that shape and think, that's how I want my new model to look, would you?

Interior looks nice, though; can't imagine finding that in a Kia. It's the interiors that are drawing me to BMW these days; they seem to be keeping things simple while others (notably Mercedes) resort to bling and overdesign.
Next door has just bought a new Merc B Class, nice looking especially in the spec she has....I had a sit down in it and what WDB says is dead right. Horrid interior...looks like a 70s computer console...
 KIA - Is BMW copying? - Fursty Ferret
>> Next door has just bought a new Merc B Class, nice looking especially in the
>> spec she has....I had a sit down in it and what WDB says is dead
>> right. Horrid interior...looks like a 70s computer console...
>>

I've never understood the "Merc" thing.

* They reek inside (leather? pleather? whatever, it pongs and they all smell the same)
* Not that comfortable
* Not that economical
* Leather too slippery
* Not enough cup holders
* Foot operated parking brake
* Steering wheel too big
* Antiquated controls - have you seen the size of the lever for doing the cruise control?)
* Stupid fiddly heating controls
* Everything is a something-tronic or stupid-matic. I mean, really, it's 2015...

Now, I like pushing buttons - more so if they're illuminated; after all, it's why I bought the Insignia - but Mercedes have a combination of tiny buttons in strange places with odd abbreviations and confusing icons.

I spent 40 minutes in the passenger seat of an E-class the other day and could only figure out what half the stuff did.
You should have left the Hobgoblin at home. :-0)
Buttons ? The Volvo has a shed-full...all quite logical when you get used to them, especially on the floating console....all have a particular shape, easy to feel for
 KIA - Is BMW copying? - Crankcase
>> Buttons ? The Volvo has a shed-full...all quite logical when you get used to them,
>> especially on the floating console....all have a particular shape, easy to feel for
>>

Which do you push then, out of interest? Can't say I ever push anything much on that vast array.
Heated front screen this morning....er and that's it. I occasionally toggle the media buttons !
 KIA - Is BMW copying? - Kevin
>Heated front screen this morning....er and that's it.

Doesn't it come on automatically Rob? Mine switches on if the outside temp is below 4C when you start her. Doesn't come on if she's warm though so it must check either cabin or coolant temp as well.
HRW comes on automatically --- guess I'll have to read the manual !
 KIA - Is BMW copying? - DP
>> I've never understood the "Merc" thing.
>>
>> * They reek inside (leather? pleather? whatever, it pongs and they all smell the same)
>> * Not that comfortable
>> * Not that economical
>> * Leather too slippery
>> * Not enough cup holders
>> * Foot operated parking brake
>> * Steering wheel too big
>> * Antiquated controls - have you seen the size of the lever for doing the
>> cruise control?)
>> * Stupid fiddly heating controls
>> * Everything is a something-tronic or stupid-matic. I mean, really, it's 2015...

I had a 63 plate C250 CDi Sport as a loaner from work for a few days last year. It had Alcantara trim, so can't comment on the leather, but aside from the foot operated parking brake (a ridiculous contraption that should have been ditched years ago) I loved it. Small, chunky steering wheel, lovely seats, lovely responsive, taut handling, loads of grunt, marvellous automatic transmission, and I thought it looked great on its AMG alloys. Got a pic somewhere - will try and find it.
Here we go. Mediocre photos, but to give you an idea.

i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv196/DP_75/mb2_zpsd72d6a34.jpg
i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv196/DP_75/mb1_zps6ed31c03.jpg

Cheers
DP
 KIA - Is BMW copying? - Duncan
>> Here we go. Mediocre photos, but to give you an idea.
>>
>> i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv196/DP_75/mb2_zpsd72d6a34.jpg
>> i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv196/DP_75/mb1_zps6ed31c03.jpg
>>
>> Cheers
>> DP

Somebody keyed it?

>>
>> Somebody keyed it?
>>

hehe yes it looks that way now you mention it. It's actually a crease in the panels.

One of the all round nicest cars I have ever driven. Felt really good generally. Would happily own one.
>> Next door has just bought a new Merc B Class, nice looking especially in the
>> spec she has....I had a sit down in it and what WDB says is dead
>> right. Horrid interior...looks like a 70s computer console...
>>
And likely to have LED's to blind a blind man.

>> And likely to have LED's to blind a blind man.
>>

At least you won't be able to claim that you can't see it in bright poor visibility, even if the driver can't figure out how to get the light switch from auto to on.
As for copying, when a new car is released I would not be surprised if all the other manufacturers stripped one to the last but and bolt, costed everything, and assessed it against their similar cars.
>> As for copying, when a new car is released I would not be surprised if
>> all the other manufacturers stripped one to the last but and bolt, costed everything, and
>> assessed it against their similar cars.

This was famously done by Ford with the BMC Mini when launched, who went on to conclude that BMC must have been losing money on every unit built. A fact BMC later confirmed officially. £30 a car IIRC.
 KIA - Is BMW copying? - sooty123
>> As for copying, when a new car is released I would not be surprised if
>> all the other manufacturers stripped one to the last but and bolt, costed everything, and
>> assessed it against their similar cars.
>>

When number cruncher posted on here, pretty sure he'd done exactly that. I've read on PH that others have done that as well, normally hired in for the weekend taken away and then rebuild it before taken back to the hire car company.
Latest Forum Posts