Motoring Discussion > Driving uninsured for SIX months Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 12

Driving uninsured for SIX months - Mapmaker
I hear tell of an acquaintance whose new company car was uninsured for six months as nobody thought to tell the insurance company that his car had changed.

ANPR?
 Driving uninsured for SIX months - jc2
Must have had some form of insurance to get it taxed!!!!!!!!!!!.Might not have been insured to him but that would not show on ANPR.
Last edited by: jc2 on Wed 7 Jul 10 at 10:21
 Driving uninsured for SIX months - Skoda
>> ANPR?

Personal responsibility?
Presumably the original dealer had taxed it?
 Driving uninsured for SIX months - IJWS14
If mine had not been added to the list by the company and I was stopped I could produce a certificate!

Now would they seize the car if I had a certificate from a company policy showing any driver but the car was not on the database?

Surely as the driver I have done all I can to ensure it is insured - I have asked for and been given a certificate of insurance by my employer who provides the car and insurance!

Anyway - they can have the car if they want to crush it - it is not mine, only problem is that I would be given one of the pool Avensises
 Driving uninsured for SIX months - FotheringtonTomas
>> Anyway - they can have the car if they want to crush it - it is not mine,
>> only problem is that I would be given one of the pool Avensises.

You would have been driving without insurance, whether you knew it or not. Your licence would be endorsed, wouldn't it?
 Driving uninsured for SIX months - mikeyb
Dealer would have taxed it when new - my leased car came with 12 months in the window and no evidence of insurance on my part. Quite surprised that the lease co have never asked me to demonstarte its insured.
Are you suggesting that every compay car/van/lorry driver demands written confirmation that their vehicle has been declared to the insurance company from the insurance co?

Fleet managers are not going to be happy!
 Driving uninsured for SIX months - FotheringtonTomas
As far as I know, driving without insurance is an absolute offence, and the driver would be prosecuted. The "fleet manager" or whoever could possibly be "had" for "allowing and permitting".
 Driving uninsured for SIX months - Bill Payer
>> I hear tell of an acquaintance whose new company car was uninsured for six months
>> as nobody thought to tell the insurance company that his car had changed.
>>
What size of company?

Our insurance used to cover any vehicle being driven on company business, never mind cars that we owned or leased. I'd be surprised if the insurance company denied cover if psuh came to shove.

My impression was that the only reason they needed to know about cars was to put them on the askMID database. Certainly there's no registration details on the certificate copies that we had.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Wed 7 Jul 10 at 19:34

>> My impression was that the only reason they needed to know about cars was to
>> put them on the askMID database. Certainly there's no registration details on the certificate copies
>> that we had.
>>

The other reason is that premium depends on numbers to all have to be declared.
 Driving uninsured for SIX months - Bill Payer
>> The other reason is that premium depends on numbers to all have to be declared.
>>
It could be that things have changed but I'm sure ours didn't, although there must have been some reference point when the premium was set. It covered employees own cars when used on company business and hire cars, and they were both random activities. I wasn't very close to it, but the premium seemed to be based on the amount paid out in claims the previous year, plus a margin for the risk.
This was for a biggish multi-national company so it was probably done differently to smaller fleets.

Anyway, in the case in the OP, it's likely it was a replacement car, so the numbers remain unchanged.
A smallish affair. a few dozen employees, a handful of company cars and a balance sheet value of nearly half a bn.
Latest Forum Posts