Motoring Discussion > After the S60 Buying / Selling
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 228

After the S60 - WillDeBeest
Regular readers will be familiar with my green Volvo S60 D5, chosen new in 2002 as my last (as it turned out) company car and bought two years later, when I left the job it went with, for a shade over £11,000. It’s still with us, still a pleasure to sit in, to listen to (both the engine and the superb factory audio system) and – mostly – to drive. But time hasn’t forgotten it, and it’s getting a little tired. A large injection of cash might smarten the interior, replace the damaged mirror housing and fix the obstructive low-speed gearchange, but I think I’m ready to move on.

What to? Well, first bear in mind that its drivemate is now our 2009 Mercedes E220 estate, which does long-distance family bus duties superbly, and is now my regular drive-to-work car as well. Mrs Beest uses the Volvo for some of her various jobs, although not to her main one, which she reaches by public transport.

In truth, in choosing an ideal pair of cars, we probably wouldn’t start from here, but the Mercedes will continue for the foreseeable future, as it seems to be ageing well and nothing we could replace it with would match it for space or long-distance ability. We go to France each year but otherwise we don’t do that many long family trips now, but I do carry a lot of young (and some old) cricketers and their kit in the season, so I appreciate it then. It’s a bit big for just me, though, and it’s not especially light on fuel, so the new car will be the one I drive 25 miles each way to work, while needing to be good for two – and occasionally three – at other times. A true four-seater would be useful, of course, but we can afford to be a little playful here.

So I’d like something that

• is a size smaller than the S60;

• is significantly more economical than the Mercedes;

• has a boot that will take a couple of cricket bags; and

• has a bit of feelgood- or fun-factor that will keep me from missing the Volvo.

Although it will be part-funded by my employer’s car allowance, this imposes no constraints on my choice. Most of my work travel is abroad, and I almost never drive on business in the UK. No-one cared when I started this job that the Volvo was five years old, and several of my London-based colleagues get the allowance but don’t have a car at all.

So I’ve started the process of auditioning candidates. I’ll report here on each one, but of course you’re all welcome to chip in and spend my money for me.
 Candidate 1: BMW 2 coupé - WillDeBeest
Well, I did say that practicality wasn’t top of the list! This, if we’re honest, is marginal as a three-seater, and has no hope of taking four if one of them is me driving. But I don’t care – this is a gorgeous little car.

The one I drove was an M Sport with the 8-speed automatic. Eek, we think, 18-inch wheels plus sports suspension plus Berkshire roads equals horror show. Well, no: it feels firm, certainly, but somehow it manages to round off the bumps without smothering them entirely, and there’s no trace of the high-frequency jiggling that made me come to hate our Toyota Verso. And the other side is that it feels superbly controlled on almost any kind of road. It stormed up the twisty hill that once caused Mrs Beest to veto a Volvo V70 for its vagueness – so much so that when it reached the top I found the speedo reading 10mph more than I’d expected to see.

It’s very good to sit in and see out of. The ‘sports’ seats are superb – nicely bolstered and high enough to support even me behind the shoulders; a definite tick on the option list – or even a reason to start with an M Sport model. The steering wheel is also satisfyingly fat and tactile, although I had to set it higher than I’d have liked to keep it from obscuring the instruments – but after a half-hour drive I didn’t feel unhappy with the position I’d chosen. Beestling Minor in the back said he was comfortable too, and happy with both the seats and the ride quality.

There was a little more noise at motorway speed than I’d expected, although probably no more than the Volvo; it’s just that the Mercedes is very quiet. Not unpleasant, though, and I could imagine enjoying a long solo drive in a 220i. I might even get used to the indicator switch, which has a number of tricks including a lane-change flash and a touch-and-release, but which still requires more thought to operate than the Volvo’s perfectly-weighted conventional stalk.

But that’s about the only ergonomic flaw I could find. I didn’t get into trying to master the climate control or the audio system, but the major controls just work, and the automatic lived up to the expectations generated by everything I’d read. That’s certainly another option to choose. In fact, if you were to tell me that the demo car was to be mine for the next four years, I wouldn’t be at all unhappy – except that it’s black.

I now need to try some others and see if there’s anything that ticks more practicality boxes while retaining the 220i’s undoubted feelgood factor. They say don’t buy the first car (or house, or wife…) that you see – but I really, really liked this car. Who’d have thought it?
 Candidate 1: BMW 2 coupé - DP
Sounds good WdB. What's that four pot turbo engine like? I've heard mixed opinions.

That 8 speed auto is the transmission of the moment, in my opinion. Fabulous gearbox. It's finally persuaded me to go two pedal next time around.

BMW indicators are rubbish. You don't get used to them. :-)
 Candidate 1: BMW 2 coup�© - WillDeBeest
I liked the engine, DP - although I'd need to get to know it for longer to be sure. I chose a route that was mostly pretty boring, to tell the truth, reasoning that I'd be able to judge the car better if I was on familiar territory. There was more traffic than I'd hoped for, which didn't help, but I had a clear run up that twisty hill and it took it very nicely. I certainly never felt the engine was lacking - but the gearbox may have played a discreet part in that.

What have you heard about the engine?

I don't have a firm view on which engine I'd want, to be honest. I have so little opportunity round here to point a car at a clear road that, so long as it can keep up on the motorway, it might make most sense to go for a 218d and spend the difference on making the interior as comfortable as possible. As a citizen of the M3 - as I am of the M4 - I expect you know the feeling.
 Candidate 1: BMW 2 coup���© - legacylad
I may have posted previously about this but a friend of mine has recently acquired a 235i. Now I appreciate the gorgeous 6 cyl engine is not the engine you want, but it really is a fabulous car. And the oyster red seats are great! In the grand scheme of things, the performance vs economy equation is amazing. On a gentle, which to him means not licence losing territory, he returns 35 mpg. And he claims low 40s when there is traffic holding him up. The fit and finish are superb, it rides amazingly well for such a car, and he says as an all round car it is leagues better than previous TTRS & S3.
And you get used to the indicators. Never had a problem with those on my 330. And if you are going to keep for a few years, and run once the warranty has expired, buy petrol. That is the advice given by my BMW technician friend. If something goes wrong on the diesel, it costs lots! and yes, that 8 speed auto is a peach.
 Candidate 1: BMW 2 coupÃƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½ÃƒÂ¯Ã‚Â¿Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿ - Runfer D'Hills
A Panda and lots of change ! ;-)

Ok, I'm not quite serious, but I'm in Italy at the moment and have a hired Panda. I've rather fallen for it. Got it last Saturday morning at Malpensa when they had just received a delivery of new ones. 3km on the clock when I got it, more than 500 now. Black with red and grey seats. It has an engine which is petrol but I don't know what size. Goes very well, or at least it sounds as if it does.

It reminds me of a terrier, eager to please, a bit daft, certainly a bit ugly but sort of joyful at the same time.

I want to adopt it.
 Candidate 1: BMW 2 coupÃƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½ÃƒÂ¯Ã‚Â¿Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿ - legacylad
I'll have you know my Lakeland X terrier is not ugly. Not even a bit ugly. Damn sight more attractive than a stupid Panda with black eyes, black nose, black sticky out lugs and a permanent mournful expression.
 Candidate 1: BMW 2 coup���© - DP
>> What have you heard about the engine?

That it delivers the goods, but in a very "meh" way. Mind you, a lot of people out there think a BMW with less than six cylinders has no right to exist.

Absolutely understand the comfort sentiment. The diesel engines are gruff, but so impressive in terms of the numbers (both on paper and in the real world) they deliver. My humble 320d goes very well indeed when you want it to.
 Candidate 1: BMW 2 coupÃƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½ÃƒÂ¯Ã‚Â¿Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿ - idle_chatterer
>>
>> That it delivers the goods, but in a very "meh" way. Mind you, a lot
>> of people out there think a BMW with less than six cylinders has no right
>> to exist.
>>

Indeed +1

A Volvo probably needs 5 Cylinders too
Last edited by: idle_chatterer on Thu 19 Feb 15 at 22:02
 After the S60 - Avant
This sort of thing is always fun - we do a lot of it on the HJ forum too - especially when you know that the person asking, as in your case, is going to come to a good reasoned decision.

You could get the same range of engines in the 4-door 1-series, or is that just too ugly?

The other one I can think of that ticks all your boxes is the Golf GTI or even the R. I very nearly went for a GTI (from Windrush at Maidenhead which I think is near you and was excellent) but then decided we still needed a wagon (hence the third Octavia vRS estate). I might still be tempted again one day.

And of course there's the SEAT Leon Cupra - same choice of engines as the Golf I think - which comes in 3 or 5 doors or as the ST estate.

In each of these cases I personally would go for petrol rather than diesel.

Edit - I forgot to mention the Volvo V40 which I'm sure you've thought about but would probably fail the cricket bag test.
Last edited by: Avant on Thu 19 Feb 15 at 00:43
It's not the 1's looks that put me off, Avant; oddly, it's a practical consideration. The 1 and 2 are essentially the same, but the 2 has a longer wheelbase (by about 50mm, I think) that just tips the rear seat over into usability. We tried a 1 in the showroom; designing it to make room for a driver and LL's six cylinders takes all the space that the rear passengers might have had and most of the boot too. So although it may be easier to load than a 2, it won't hold enough to be useful to us.
And yes, RTJ, an A3 5-door will be Candidate 3. Might as well take what practically is on offer, and Mrs Beest appreciates a bit of extra length - it would let her use either this or the big car to carry her work equipment.

Seat? Not sure. The faster Leons do look good value in terms of performance per pound, but pure performance isn't much use where I live and drive, and (in pictures at least) the cabin doesn't look the most cheerful or welcoming, which is what I'm after to ease the slow hours on the M4.
I have the same misgiving about all but the top-model Skodas, and we sat in a Scirocco at Windrush yesterday; I'd always known it was ugly outside, but it's pretty horrible inside too.
I'll have a look if I'm passing - there's probably a dealer in Reading.
 After the S60 - sooty123
How about a Vauxhall?
 After the S60 - Zero
>> How about a Vauxhall?

yeah Perfik.

An Astra fits the bill.
If the company allowance required me to put its name on the side and a ladder on the roof, I'd be straight in there. As it is...
 After the S60 - Victorbox
>> If the company allowance required me to put its name on the side and a
>> ladder on the roof, I'd be straight in there. As it is...

..... your in Merc and Volvo territory so clearly a different class of person. Hopefully you enjoy your superiority?
 After the S60 - VxFan
>> An Astra fits the bill.

Gets my vote.
 After the S60 - Duncan
>> >> An Astra fits the bill.
>>
>> Gets my vote.
>>

Gets my veto.
 After the S60 - Victorbox
>> How about a Vauxhall?

Beat me to it! How about the new Viva coming out soon?
I had to look that up! I know you two are one-eyed GM fanboys but even one eye works better if you open it. Viva: no thanks, my biscuits are all safely stored already.

And no, the products I choose to spend my money on don't make me a superior person, nor will I take it personally if any of you disagree with my preferences. But spending this much on a product I don't like would just make me an idiot, wouldn't it?
 After the S60 - rtj70
>> And yes, RTJ, an A3 5-door will be Candidate 3

I prefer the look of the saloon. But I would because I have one. A bit more expensive than the hatchback.

Sports seats are comfortable - maybe not quite as good as those in my previous car, the Passat CC. And they aren't climate - not even an option.
 Candidate 2: Volkswagen Golf GTI / GTD / GTE - WillDeBeest
Funny you should mention that, Avant. The Golf was the paper favourite from the start: sensible size and shape, smart but not flashy, and with a useful amount of room in back seat and boot.

In GTE form it works even better, especially since my drive to work is within its 50km pure-electric range and my workplace has promised that EV charging points are coming soon. Can't have one of those until September, I discovered yesterday, but we tried three current versions for size and will be driving a GTI - automatic but it's what they have as a demo - on Saturday.
 Candidate 2: Volkswagen Golf GTI / GTD / GTE - Zero
I was about to say, from the outset, on paper your requirements are a golf sized vehicle. If you like quality materials on the interior it has to be a golf. (or an A3)

I do like the Leon ST - a lot.

Go try one.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 19 Feb 15 at 08:12
 Candidate 2: Volkswagen Golf GTI / GTD / GTE - Crankcase
Had one of those local dealer emails yesterday from Marshalls Seat in Cambridge - probably because I expressed an interest a year or two ago.

Anyway, they are doing "up to £5300 off" on various pre-reg Leons at the minute. No idea if that's a local dealer special or a UK thing but might be worth a look if (anyone) is in the market for such a beast.

www.marshallweb.co.uk/seat/new-car-offers/pre-reg-leon/

Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 19 Feb 15 at 10:26
 Candidate 2: Volkswagen Golf GTI / GTD / GTE - rtj70
>> it has to be a golf. (or an A3)
>> I do like the Leon ST - a lot.

I'm not a fan of the Golf styling. I think the Leon and A3 look better. I've driven both a Golf GTD (and a GT 150PS diesel) and Leon FR 184PS diesel. Both are very nice cars - bot to sit in and drive.

But after trying the A3.... I much preferred it. It might cost me more each month but I don't care. And not doing high mileage the petrol 1.4T meant I could keep BIK low. In fact the 1.4T with DSG gearbox is cheaper than if I'd opted for a 150PS diesel manual.

I'd definitely be trying the Golf, A3 and Leon.
 Candidate 2: Volkswagen Golf GTI / GTD / GTE - Citroënian
The Audi has better in car entertainment than the Volkswagen which in turn has better than the Seat.

The iDrive thing is a much better approach than the touch screens - you have to take your eye off the road and focus on your finger to do anything with a touch screen.
 Candidate 2: Volkswagen Golf GTI / GTD / GTE - Runfer D'Hills
There's a a thing called a Seat Exeo ST which apparently a clever way of getting a previous model Audi A4 Avant without paying the premium. Prof Brian Cox has one, or he did anyway, I've seen him in it. He's quite a clever guy.
Yes, but it's based on a design that was around when I was choosing the S60; I even tested one for a day. Part of what impressed me about the little BMW was how modern it felt compared with what I'm used to. I already have an early-2000s car.

My dad was a clever bloke. He bought Maestros.
You're going to have some form of BMW aren't you? It's written in the white spaces. ;-)

X3? Roomy but fuel efficient. Should have enough head clearance.
He is definitely building up a justification for a rear wheel drive small BMW.

When I chose the Passat in 2001 I looked at the BMW 3 and 5 series. The latter was available at one point at cheap company car lease rates. Comparing the two models of the time they were miles apart in terms of quality. 3 series did not feel special. The 5 series certainly did.

When I was looking again earlier last year I did the same. The 5 series (and an A6) felt special. The 3 series had caught up but not quite as good. So I'd think a current/recent 2 series is nice too.

I do like the inside of my A3 though. Understated and a bit minimalistic. Not as minimalistic as the new TT but close. I suspect the next A4 will be to my liking too - I dislike the inside of the current A4/A5.
He is definitely building up a justification for a rear wheel drive small BMW.
Not sure that's true, RTJ. It's the only thing I've tried so far and I happened to like it. Golf on Saturday, so the whole picture may change.

Interior is important, though - I agree with you there. Sat in a 2AT and a 535d estate as well, and both felt similarly special. I've done similar showroom tests on current MB models and the only one that's really tickled my fancy is an SL350; some are really horrid. I liked the Golf interior, especially in the check fabric. We'll see.
 Candidate 2: Volkswagen Golf GTI / GTD / GTE - DP
The thing with the 3-series is that it doesn't shout "excellent". The interior quality isn't as good as an A4's, and it somehow doesn't make you feel as special as a Mercedes.

But once you drive one for three years, then get in something else of equivalent price, you realise how good it is. Which is why I've chosen another.
 Candidate 2: Volkswagen Golf GTI / GTD / GTE - commerdriver
>> The Audi has better in car entertainment than the Volkswagen which in turn has better
>> than the Seat.
>>
>> The iDrive thing is a much better approach than the touch screens - you have
>> to take your eye off the road and focus on your finger to do anything
>> with a touch screen.
>>

I like the ICE in the Golf, touch screen if you are stopped or the passenger is playing DJ, multiple input sources etc. Touch screen does not need to be used if you are driving alone as the display on the dash allows track/station selection via steering wheel buttons. At that level of car it will all come down to personal choice you will not go wrong with any of the A3/GTD/1 or 2 series.

Take as the example like RTJ70, I also chose between Golf and A3 among others, I prefer the Golf (in my case GTD) he prefers the A3, personal choices no wrong options
Last edited by: commerdriver on Thu 19 Feb 15 at 17:35
I liked the Golf GTD as well. A lot nicer to drive than the GT 150PS diesel. It felt much nicer. And yet should be similar. Rejected after a 48 hour test drive because the seats were not to my wife's liking. She didn't find the under thigh support comfortable.

I wouldn't have got an A3 Sportback. I don't think I like the proportions of a hatchback these days. And I had a mark 4 Golf GTi and liked it. I prefer the A3 as a saloon.

I ruled out the Mazda6 because of the quality and design of the interior. The revised one will be interesting to see. Some of the changes relate to the negatives I sent as feedback. Not suggesting they reacted to me. They have made it more like the interior of the Mazda3.
Can't go to the tip in a saloon. Well, you can, but people point and smirk.

;-)
 Candidate 2: Volkswagen Golf GTI / GTD / GTE - Armel Coussine
>> you can, but people point and smirk.

>> ;-)

They point and smirk at me all the time. It's only fair though, because I do a lot of pointing and smirking myself.

Anyway my magnificent world car is a sort of hatchback whose rear seats sort of fold down. It's very good for ferrying scrap iron and wet plasterboard the 12 miles or so to the cheery and efficient local authority dump. Skips replaced as and when necessary, works a treat, good scam for the drivers too.

My multi-tasking motor sounds better with the seats up and rear shelf in place. But it's churlish to carp at an innocent Mexico-German world car when you're using it as a lorry.
 Candidate 2: Volkswagen Golf GTI / GTD / GTE - Paul Robinson
30 replies and no mention of an Alfa yet ...
 Candidate 2: Volkswagen Golf GTI / GTD / GTE - MD
I wonder why?
True, but at 50 miles a day commute he'd need a new cambelt every month on an Alfa !
Before even a cambelt I'd need a can opener so I could get into the thing. Tried Alfa; didn't fit.
Could always go for a Spyder I guess?

Flies would ricochet off your head though I suppose. Might spoil the effect.
 Candidate 2: Volkswagen Golf GTI / GTD / GTE - Armel Coussine
>> a can opener so I could get into the thing. Tried Alfa; didn't fit.

Pies WDB, or a rare case of gigantism?

English men are just the wrong shape for Alfas. Motoring hacks used to say they demanded a chimpanzee physique with long arms and short legs.

Of course a car person would know how to splay his legs or make some accommodation. But there are philistines who want everything to be perfect.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 19 Feb 15 at 20:33
 Candidate 2: Volkswagen Golf GTI / GTD / GTE - legacylad
My pals daughter is taking delivery of a new GTD early March. She drives 25k pa, mostly motorway, and it will replace a 3yo similar model. She looked at the alternatives and discarded them, although I would have been tempted by a 125d if running it from new for three years.
I myself was tempted by a 135i, very tempted, plenty around fairly new, but keep returning to the GTI. Better residuals over 6 years, and I have fond memories of my Mk 1 GTI which is an indulgent memory trip. Problem is, i would like a specific spec, which means new. So no bargains there.
Taking out a year old R soon, but not sure if the extra performance is worth the extra running costs, and I suspect it is not homologated to tow a trailer, which is a deal breaker. No point me running an estate car if I cannot fit a mixer in the back, so a Warmish 5 door hatch with easy access for the ancients is looking the best compromise at the moment.
 Candidate 2: Volkswagen Golf GTI / GTD / GTE - Alastairw
There were a lot of good leasing/ PCP deals on the Golf R a year or so ago, so I imagine there will be lots coming on to the used market soon. All they all that shade of blue?
Lapis Blue does seem very popular on the R, and is the colour of the one I intend to test drive. Personally, I like the a Carbon Grey on the GTI. And it has to be the tartan seats...why anyone would choose to spend four figures on leather is beyond me.
 Candidate 2: Volkswagen Golf GTI / GTD / GTE - idle_chatterer
>> Lapis Blue does seem very popular on the R, and is the colour of the
>> one I intend to test drive. Personally, I like the a Carbon Grey on the
>> GTI. And it has to be the tartan seats...why anyone would choose to spend four
>> figures on leather is beyond me.
>>

Saw a Golf VII GTi in Carbon Grey with lime green aftermarket alloys the other day, there is certainly no accounting for taste....

Left field and possibly heretic - can't you get the 210PS GTi engine in a (ahem) Jetta ? Second hand in the UK where saloons are unpopular I'll bet these are bargains ? The boot is huge for the cricket bags. In other markets (believe it or not) these hold a premium over hatchbacks....
 Candidate 2: Volkswagen Golf GTI / GTD / GTE - Avant
".... can't you get the 210PS GTi engine in a (ahem) Jetta?"

Not according to the What Car tables, although the 1.4 TSI 150 bhp engine is supposed to go pretty well.

For the GTI engine, you'd have to go to the Octavia vRS or the outgoing Audi A4 - which are just about as big as the S60.

I don't think anyone's mentioned the Focus ST yet: it might suit you, WDB, but I tried one and found it a bit too aggressive. The advantage of the GTI and other cars with that engine and drivetrain is that it's equally good at pootling speeds as it is when you use the performance. And pootle is what we all have to do 90 % of the time.
Last edited by: Avant on Fri 20 Feb 15 at 10:10
Jetta could work, but it's almost as big as an Octavia (or an S60) and seems to have been made with all the dull bits of the Golf and none of the fun. That led me on to looking at the Golf GT TSI, since I'm unlikely to get much use out of the top 20% of a GTI's performance and the GT seems to have the same sports seats - if without the tartan. I could have one with three doors, too, as a tiny gesture towards midlife crisis irresponsibility.
 Candidate 2: Volkswagen Golf GTI / GTD / GTE - Focusless
>> That led me on to looking at the Golf GT TSI

With the 150ps engine? I'd also look at the A3 Sportback with that motor, which is about £1k cheaper in Sport trim and a class lower in emissions (and marginally quicker), although I think it has fewer bells and whistles. But apologies if you've already discounted the A3 - haven't read the whole thread.
>> Jetta could work, but it's almost as big as an Octavia (or an S60) and
>> seems to have been made with all the dull bits of the Golf and none
>> of the fun.

Jettas are for old men, really old men. They cut the hatch off to put a permanent back shelf in place for the national trust blanket and cap.
Whereas shonky old Lancer estates are for...?

;-)
>> Whereas shonky old Lancer estates are for...?

Very Very muddy and wet golden retrievers.
 Candidate 2: Volkswagen Golf GTI / GTD / GTE - Stuartli
>>Jettas are for old men, really old men. They cut the hatch off to put a permanent back shelf in place for the national trust blanket and cap.>>

How very dare you.....!!!!!

My Jetta Sport 170 1.4-litre TSi is virtually as quick as a Golf GTi and is a great Q-car - other drivers are very often caught out by what appears to be a straightforward saloon.
 Candidate 2: Volkswagen Golf GTI / GTD / GTE - Manatee
>> >>Jettas are for old men, really old men. They cut the hatch off to put
>> a permanent back shelf in place for the national trust blanket and cap.>>
>>
>> How very dare you.....!!!!!

Are you saying you aren't an old man?

What do you keep on the back shelf, as a matter of interest :)

>> What do you keep on the back shelf, as a matter of interest :)

I have no back shelf, there is a dog there instead.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 21 Feb 15 at 17:22
>> I have no back shelf, there is a dog there instead.

Not you, Stuartli...who objects to being called old...
And doesn't let his dog drive.
I have no back shelf, there is a dog there instead.

Oh, yes!

>> My Jetta Sport 170 1.4-litre TSi is virtually as quick as a Golf GTi

Isn't that another way of saying its slower?
>> My Jetta Sport 170 1.4-litre TSi is virtually as quick as a Golf GTi and is a great Q-car - other
>> drivers are very often caught out by what appears to be a straightforward saloon.

Made in Mexico though.
...and your point about Mexico is...? Let's not go MD on this. A US friend has a Jetta and it seems very solid and smooth. And apparently that's the cheapified version for North America, not that it really shows.
>> ".... can't you get the 210PS GTi engine in a (ahem) Jetta?"
>>
>> Not according to the What Car tables, although the 1.4 TSI 150 bhp engine is
>> supposed to go pretty well.
>>

Ah ha, it is available with the 155KW (211PS) engine in Australia, hadn't thought that the UK would be denied it but would accept it's rather a long way to go to get one for someone up north.... Similar to the Passat where you can still get a V6 petrol over here I suppose.
Was the Passat B7 in Australia the European or cheaper American version? Just curious. No doubt you're getting a new Passat but again I was wondering if it was the European B8 model.

At present none of the new MQB based Passat B8 models will have petrol engines in the UK. The GTE will but I'm not sure if we'll have a non-hybrid petrol.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 22 Feb 15 at 13:31
>> Was the Passat B7 in Australia the European or cheaper American version? Just curious. No
>> doubt you're getting a new Passat but again I was wondering if it was the
>> European B8 model.
>>
>> At present none of the new MQB based Passat B8 models will have petrol engines
>> in the UK. The GTE will but I'm not sure if we'll have a non-hybrid
>> petrol.
>>

We tend to get new VAG models (and indeed other manufacturers' except perhaps Japanese ones) at least 6 months after European launches. So it's still the B7 Passat over here albeit on 'runout' - actually I see that the 2.0TSi and the V6 have recently been dropped so I guess the B8 is imminent (but not pre-announced like they usually do).

We don't get the American Passat derivative but we do bizarrely get both the Euro and Japanese/American Honda Accords sold side by side - I think one is slightly larger than the other ? We also get the Camry from Toyota, again - slightly larger than the Avensis.

V6s and V8s are gradually in decline but there is no current appetite for small capacity turbos, petrol is (after all) about 55p/l. Hybrids seem popular though and stop/start is becoming more common albeit on 2.5L NA engines.

Many cars are used to transport cricket bags ;-) Maybe that's why small sedans (Saloons) are still popular (Focus, Mazda 3, Corolla, Jetta, Fiesta & Yaris even).
Pies WDB, or a rare case of gigantism?

That would be telling. I should probably defer to NoFM for an independent opinion.
Now I'm in a position to start making comparisons, having driven only my second Golf GTI. The first was a 1999ish Mk4, whose 150hp didn't make it feel much more lively than the Saab 9-3 that was my regular drive at the time.

I liked the Mk4's seats, though, and the Mk7's are similarly comfortable. In other respects, it's a whole different kettle of ball games.

The demo car, a white five-door, had a black leather interior, a DSG transmission and 19-inch wheels. I'll have comments to make on all three options as I go along.

First impressions: easy to get comfortable, plenty of room for feet (even the three-pedal version does well here) but the wheel didn't come as far back as I might have liked. Good view out, too, although the pointy door mirrors sacrifice some function for style.

Moving off, into moderate Saturday morning traffic, was smooth and easy; if the DSG tends to be hesitant I didn't notice it. The stop-start seemed more intrusive than the BMW's version, making quite a cranky racket each time it restarted. As for the other controversial feature, the electric parking brake was superbly unobtrusive and integrated with the DSG; it just worked.

OK, out of the traffic and on to a bit of M4. It goes - even with moderate throttle inputs it picks up rapidly and feels very secure. The westbound entry at J7 has a tight curve that opens out into a shortish sliproad, so acceleration is important here to make a smooth, safe join. No problem, but this is where I started to notice the noise.

There's nice noise - apparently mechanically enhanced in the GTI - in the raspy exhaust, but those oversized wheels and tyres make quite a racket on the coarse surface of that bit of M4. What I thought was wind noise turned out to be tyre noise echoing back from the central reservation and the acoustic fencing at the sides of the road; not entirely the car's fault, but it would be less intrusive if the tyres made less of it to begin with. As it is, the overall effect is noisier and less relaxing than the 220i.

It was a happier story on a better motorway surface, and I had a play with the DSG's S and paddle mode on the twisty hill road that the 220i did so well. The GTI did well here too, although in a more overtly 'sporty' style, picking lower gears and popping the exhaust into the corners.

At the top of the hill, still in S mode, I slowed for a right turn and heard the exhaust rather gratuitously popping as the DSG appeared to change down sequentially. This I think I would soon get tired of.

I was already tired of the 19-inch wheels by the time we returned to Maidenhead; not just the noise but the sharp-edged feel they give to every irregularity. The GTI feels as if it's set up to be firm but smooth, like the 220i, but the big wheels spoil everything.

So I'm left feeling - what? That I like the Golf as a design, and that the right one would undoubtedly be an easy and comfortable machine to live with. But the GTI? I don't think so; it's plenty quick enough, but that comes with a jiggly ride and the gimmicky exhaust noises that really don't suit what ought to be a more grown-up car.
Next step here: consider the GT TSI - and maybe the equivalent A3.
The Golf GTI and GTD come as standard on 18" wheels. And optional are adaptive dampers. The GTD I had on 19" wheels as a demo with adaptive dampers was very comfortable. On 18" rims it would be better still.
No idea whether yesterday's Golf had adaptive dampers; I suspect not or Blokey would have mentioned it. He said they tend to fit their demos with 19s because it makes them look better (not to me; they look too big for a car that size) and easier to sell on. Bit depressing that a feature that spoils the car is more appealing that one that enhances it.

He was quite encouraging about the GT, but said a three-door would have to be a factory order as three-door buyers go for the Scirocco instead.

The GTI was fine on good surfaces, of course. Perhaps there are more of those in the Northwest than I found around Maidenhead.
I see no point whatsoever fitting 19'' wheels on the GTI. For me the PPack & DCC ( dynamic chassis control) would be must have options. And I could fit my Michelin Alpins on the standard rims. Chris Harris rates this spec very highly. ( sorry no link)
Hadn't heard of Chris Harris but found a video he'd done on the 18"-manual-adaptive combination - none of which yesterday's car had. He also mentions a Dynaudio sound system as one of the few options worth taking; that sounds more cosseting already.

A thought: presumably the manual would come without the silly blipping noises too. Does a modern car really need to pretend it has a carburettor? What next - a starting handle?
The blipping on the DSG serves a purpose and matches the rpm to save the clutch pack and reduce loads on the gears. The crackling noises serve no purpose other than embarrassing the driver.
 After the S60 - Avant
Beware of 3-door cars: apart from the awkwardness of getting people in and out of the back, most car parks seem to have been designed for the narrower cars of yesteryear, so that the long doors are a pain.

I agree with Focusless - depending on how much kit you want, the A3 1.4 150 bhp can be cheaper than the Golf GT. But I think that's candidate no 3 anyway!
 After the S60 - Runfer D'Hills
It's difficult isn't it? You can't have a Jetta because you're not old enough, you can't have an A3 because you'd just look like a male hen, you can't have a 1 series because they're for girls, you could have a Golf GTi but you might be too old for one of those. You could have a Skoda but your wife likely won't drive it and you'll never see your Merc again.

I can't really help you here.

;-)
Beware of 3-door cars...

Fair point, but one I'm not especially concerned about because
  • I'm seldom going to require anyone to sit behind me.

• getting out of the back of a 5-door Golf or similar is hardly easy, because the foot-level gap is so small. Beestling Minor and I both found it easier to get out of the 3-door, where the front seat slides well clear.

• my workplace car park has usefully wide spaces anyway. Not the only place I'll be parking, of course, but the most usual one.

• I sit further back in the car than most (see AC's pies question) so geometry favours me in that I don't have to open the door quite so far to get out. The high sill of the 220i was more of a challenge but I'd get used to that.

I really want 'sports' seats. The BMW's were fantastic - noticeably better than the standard SE seats - and I like the Golf's too. Going to spend a fair amount of time in this car, so I may as well be comfortable.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Fri 20 Feb 15 at 18:08
 After the S60 - rtj70
Unlike some on here I like leather seats. This is the only the second car I've had with them admittedly but not the last. I also like heated seats :-)

I like cars from German car companies (I include SEAT, Skoda, Mini, etc here) because of the customisation possible. Japanese companies make you trade up to higher models to get some options.
 After the S60 - Armel Coussine
I like leather seats having been raised in days when even quite humble cars had them. Most of the best cars I've owned had them. Leather if done well is classy looking, durable and repairable up to a point. You can get cleaning stuff for it that doesn't polish your clothes if you follow the instructions.

Not all though. My much loved, soon-trashed 1948 lhd Light 15 Citroen had very comfortable, durable and simple fabric seats, seat design being a talent long cultivated by proper Citroen engineers.
I prefer leather seats too on balance, especially as at weekends we are often muddy when using the car and even the beige leather in my current car just wipes clean.

Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me either way though.

The most comfortable seats I've ever had were in my humble Mondeo Ghia X. The worst for discomfort, and I'm going to get some flak here no doubt, were in my Volvo 940 and those in a Citroen Xantia. I'm a fairly average size and shape but those chairs put me in kinks on a long run.
>> Citroen Xantia. I'm a fairly average size and shape but those chairs put me in kinks on a long run.

A failure perhaps to make full use of the comprehensive, if obscure, flimsy and counterintuitive, seat adjustments Humph? Probably had the suspension set all wrong too. Some people deserve Mondeos. Citroens are too brainy for them. Ptui, bof!

:o}
I've never had a car with those "memory" seat thingies. I'd love one though because I really hate it when someone else drives my car and moves everything. Takes me at least a week of fiddling to get it all back to where it should be. I'm very fussy about that sort of thing, to the point of obsession. The Xantia though was simply incapable of being adjusted to suit me.
 After the S60 - No FM2R
"Memory" stuff is brilliant.

My phaeton remembered seat, mirror, steering wheel, Cd/Radio and A/C settings according to the keyfob being carried by the driver.

So much irritation avoided. An extra worth paying for.
 After the S60 - sooty123
>> "Memory" stuff is brilliant.
>>
>> My phaeton remembered seat, mirror, steering wheel, Cd/Radio and A/C settings according to the keyfob
>> being carried by the driver.
>>
>> So much irritation avoided. An extra worth paying for.
>>

Never had it in any car, I would imagine if you had multiple drivers it would be handy. Only me drives mine so would be a bit of waste.
 After the S60 - sooty123
I'm surprised your merc's not got memory seats. I had a drive of a xantia although not far, not much adjustment but they were very comfy to sit in I remember that.
The clue is in the "not far" Sooty...

Seat comfort or lack of it really shows through when you use a car for long distances. My wife's Qashqai is quite nice to sit in for an hour or two but eventually the softness of the seats and the resultant lack of support gets uncomfortable.
 After the S60 - sooty123
Well I suppose your right, unusual (for me) to find a car very comfy in short trips but then uncomfortable for long trips.
I'm surprised your merc's not got memory seats.

So am I. Mine has. [cackle]
Pleased for you of course...

:-p
 After the S60 - legacylad
My old 330 has three memory settings on the drivers seat. I only use one of them. Surprise! And no one else is allowed to drive Herman.
Lovely grey leather seats, and soooo comfortable.
As a point of interest, how old is too old to drive a GTI? I had my Mk1 GTI in my early twenties, when I was too young. Followed by an RS2000 which I road rallied. Too young again because I could not afford to repair it should it get rolled on an event, which meant I was not competitive, which meant I got no sponsors, and back to where I started.
Would an old bloke like me look daft in a GTI? With a gingerish Lakeland hanging his head out of the window ? And towing a trailer with a cement mixer?
Not that I give a stuff
No of course it'd be fine LL. And very good fun too.

I want a Panda so don't take any notice of me.

;-)
I'm just waiting for BBD to say he would like a cougar.
Probably more fun than a panda
So, how was Italy?
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 20 Feb 15 at 22:40
Cold, it snowed. It was ok though, Pandas are alright in the snow.
 After the S60 - Bromptonaut
>> >> Citroen Xantia. I'm a fairly average size and shape but those chairs put me
>> in kinks on a long run.

Even as a Citroenista I've some sympathy here. The Xantia's seats seemed short in the cushion and thus lacking support behind the knee, certainly so after the superbly supportive items in the BX. And I'm only 5' 9" or so with a 32" inseam.

Learned to mitigate it with seat height and reach tweaks but it was never quite the armchair comfort of the BX.
 After the S60 - rtj70
>> The most comfortable seats I've ever had were in my humble Mondeo Ghia X.

Most uncomfortable seats for me were in my humble Mondeo Ghia. Was the Ghia X that much different?
Hated the seats in the Mondeo (Ghia something, I think) I tried in 2002 (it made the longlist that led to the S60.) Perhaps you have to sit in them all day to find them comfortable.
X y'see. Can't explain it to the uninitiated...

:-)
 After the S60 - Gromit
Subaru XV

Now WdB, before you shout "fanboy!", here's the logic:

Golf sized boot
Uses Legacy/outback seats which I've found comfortable on runs up to 10 hours
Dealer fit leather in the one I drove better than standard VAG/BM finish
SUV shape more comfortable for taller passengers
Boxer diesel hassle the torque but not particularly gruff
Low centre of gravity and 4WD

Manual only, though, as a diesel and you may want to enquire about swapping the standard black alloys for something more understated...
No. Don't want or need an SUV or anything approximating to one. 4WD is dead weight in 100% of the use I would put this car to.

Now can I shout 'fanboy'?
};---)
Yeah, but no, but, yeah, but...

Like it or not, SUVs ( Qashqais and the like ) hold their value very well, are fairly practical, affordable and surprisingly ok to drive.

Good headroom too. And girls like them so you get to drive the Merc more.
 After the S60 - Clk Sec
>> Don't want or need an SUV or anything approximating to one. 4WD is dead weight in 100% of the use I would put this car to.

I've never owned a 4WD, but I might try one when I eventually get around to replacing my current LHB. I'm no more likely to go 'off-road' than I am to fly to the moon, but for that extra bit of grip in icy conditions, it just might be worthwhile.
So buy one! I don't want one. This is going to be mostly a one-up, minimal luggage car. We have a family bus. I want something small and pointy and no pseudo-off-road mummy wagon need apply, OK?
}:---)
Brera

Just saying.
 After the S60 - DP
What about a Toyota GT86 / Subaru BRZ? Supposed to be one of the best handling cars you can buy right now. Not sure what they are like on the motorway, mind.
 After the S60 - Zero
or how many cricket bags you can throw in the boot.
 After the S60 - Auntie Lockbrakes
A1 Sportback. Small and pointy. Fabulously grippy on funky 17 inch alloys. 140hp is all the power you need with a kerbweight of barely 1100Kg...
Small Audi though.

Girl's car.
The Golf and 220i are at the limit of usable rear seat space, so I can't imagine even a 5-door A1 having any space there at all. (Remember we're a tall family.)

As for the Toyota / Subaru coupé, I read up on it when it first appeared and it's trying to be a full-on low-geared sportscar - a weekend toy that doesn't even try to double as a cosseting commuter's tool. Not for me, even if I could get into one.
 After the S60 - PeterS
Based on my Avis experiences the A1, while a very nice car, will definitely be too small. The Golf and the MB A Class seemed fairly similar size-wise, though my favourite mid-sized car from the Avis fleet was the petrol A Class. They didn't have any 2 series, though the 1 and 4 were pleasant enough cars to drive and sit in.

If rear space is an important consideration, is there any merit in perhaps looking at a nearly new BMW, either 3 or 4 series, instead of the 2? BMW ex management cars tend to be well specced, and there always seem to be plenty in the dealer network... BMW really do seem to have managed to make some very economical cars - x18/20d of all sizes seem far better than the equivalent Audi or Merc. Having said that, the petrol Audi and Golfs also exceeded 40mpg every time I had one.
What exactly are girls cars? Female neighbours have a white A1, a yellow Mini soft top, RAV4, A class Merc, Polo & Golf Tdi.
My ex ex has a 10yo Lexus IS Sportcross ( which I recommended she buy) and the ex a VW CC. Maybe that's where I went wrong. They're not girls !!!!
Major consideration, no, but that doesn't mean we can disregard it altogether, as I suspect we'd have to to consider the A1. It needs to be able to take three adult-sized bodies (Beestling Major, not yet 14, is 1.80m, his brother 1.65m before he's 12, their mother 1.77m - and then there's me.) Clearly we'll use the LEC when we're all going, but I'd perversely welcome a little impracticality in the second car. (Mrs Beest isn't getting that bit, incidentally - scornful talk of 'floozies' and 'popsies' and it's not even my birthday.) A little sense of occasion on getting into a car is never a bad thing.

But yes, a last-in-line 3 coupé might work as well as a 2: not much bigger or heavier on fuel, even in petrol auto form, which is my preferred BMW combination. As you say, there are plenty about.
 After the S60 - PeterS
Golf sized, and both practical and yet impractical at the same time ;-)

tinyurl.com/l3fbd4j

Good grief! Just as I thought Mercedes design couldn't get any worse - that's grotesque. The back end looks like it's wearing a full nappy. Who is MB trying to impress with these horrors?
 After the S60 - PeterS
Well, I think they're going for the 'youth' vote!! Takes us back to an earlier thread - maybe MB is actually the new Audi... ;-)

Edited to add, I quite like it's bigger brother the CLS Shooting brake...
Last edited by: PeterS on Sun 22 Feb 15 at 18:18
 After the S60 - No FM2R
I think the current Mercs look great.
>> practical and yet impractical at the same time ;-)

Yes, there's no end to the ingenious wheezes thought up to keep drum brakes fully tweaked, balanced and efficient. Most quickly fail through clogging up with brake dust and powdered rust. The self-adjusting cam thingies soon seize and the brakes start to work crookedly, in a way to which proper drivers quickly adapt. While guiltily adding to the endless list a mental note to do something about it.
Ready to open number four, AC?
};---)
Aren't I making sense WDB? My fault no doubt.

Just sipping number two actually. Don't encourage me.
>> Aren't I

How terribly English an expression. "Are I not" presumably? As opposed to the the Scottish vernacular "Amn't I?" Which derives from "Am I not?"

As you were, just musing. We learned it from you lot.
>> As you were, just musing. We learned it from you lot.

You didn't learn the full Dark Arts did you? 'Amn't' is frightfully sweet. Titter.

The English long ago seized the wheel of the runaway language truck. If they say aren't, then aren't it is.
 After the S60 - Lygonos
So you want something special?

But you want a German mid-size like all the other sheep?

OK ;-)
>> a German mid-size like all the other sheep?

>> OK ;-)

Er, which Grosser Mercedes do you fancy most Lygonos? Actually there was a nice sixties one in some French movie or other... but those nasties had some damn big spectacular motors in their day no kidding.

That way evil lies. I pass. Oo-er...
Fair comment, Lygo, but in my ovine defence...

• ...what else is there? French and Italian are disqualified on grounds of space and comfort. I fancy a Citroen but reviews of the C4 put me off even looking. One of the DS range, perhaps? Would I fit?

• ...Something Japanese? Lexus CT is a bit different but again the reviews have been awful. Suppose I could try one; the journos have been wrong before, and if it really is that bad it would be fun to write about it here.

• ...Fords have cheesy interiors and are hardly distinctive. I don't like Honda; I've had a Toyota and it wasn't much fun; Nissan makes nothing I want.

• ...Volvo V40 seemed the natural choice when it first appeared but I've not warmed to the showroom models I've sat in. Seems tight for foot and head space, which is bizarre for a Volvo, and the boot is small and awkward too. It ought to be Candidate 4, though, just to be sure.
  • ...Niche brands: Subaru, Suzuki, Chrysler, Jeep. I'm sure they have their merits but I can't see what I'd get from one. I'm a sybarite at heart, and I want the car that I'll most enjoy getting into, not the one that has the world's finest wishbones and an interior made from takeaway containers. Shallow? Maybe - but so are the containers.

It won't be me-too black, though. I have that much individuality left.
Still stinging from Lygo's accusation, I wondered what might offer some non-German specialness and thought of this:

tinyurl.com/AutoTraderSwedish
(Postcode isn't mine.)

Hardly sporting but bound to be comfortable. Might have to put the bag on the back seat if I want rays on the way to the ground, but...
 After the S60 - Manatee
I tend to use amn't I. I learnt it from Ivor Cutler. "Gee amn't I lucky" is a track on Velvet Donkey, a record I commend highly.

More grammatical like than aren't I, Shirley?

After the S60 - PeterS
Another one to throw into the mix, having just spoken to my Father who is looking at replacing my Mothers 5 year old Golf 2.0 TDi. Well, it will need a cambelt soon, and it sounds like a wheel bearing might be on its way out... ;-)

They're looking at the 1.4T A3 Sportback, but have just noticed that the Seat Leon is quite a bit cheaper. Not interested in another Golf - makes it harder to justify the change I think :-)
 After the S60 - Citroënian
That CLA is making my eyes hurt. What were Mercedes thinking?!
 Candidate 4: Volvo V40 - WillDeBeest
Perhaps a little premature since I've yet to look at one properly but I shouldn't discount Volvo's Golf rival without even trying it.

Recent smaller Volvos (and I include the current S60 in this) have disappointed me in terms of space and ergonomics - the combination of manual transmission and poorly sited electric parking brake in particular, but also space in the footwell and for my head. But I remember having similar misgivings about headroom (never foot room, though) about the original S60, which vanished after a few minutes of the first test drive.

I ought to be itching to get into a V40 and I'm not. Perhaps our resident V40 driver can persuade me.
Sat in all three showroom V40s after playing with the C70 outside. Misgivings about headroom persist, although the R-design model with its top-stitched seats is certainly appealing; the basic manual model less so.

Plan is to demo a V40 and a suitable C70 on the same day, as that's the only way to be sure how comfortable either will be. I still suspect I'm going to decide I prefer the Golf to the V40, which makes me a little sad.
 Candidate 4: Volvo V40 - R.P.
My V40 is an auto with R Design interior....it is a nice car inside. Easy to get comfortable - memory seats.. the handbrake is the old-fashioned.
Part 1 of this morning's demo double-header was a loop around Maidenhead in the dealer's only test V40, an automatic D3 SE with the Cross Country styling additions. This one had the older five-cylinder D3 engine, which suits it well and makes a proper Volvo noise; no longer available new, though.

Space is OK. Beestling Major last weekend managed to fit behind my seat, so it goes one better than my basic requirement by working as an occasional four-seater. But I remain to be convinced by the car itself. The engine is good, and the whole thing rides and steers well enough - or as far as I could tell on an undemanding test route. But - and I can't quite believe I'm writing this about a Volvo - I wasn't comfortable; the seat in this SE was just too small and flat to support me properly, and the cushion left too much of my legs to fend for themselves in free space. Nor did it go low enough to make me feel I was sitting - rather than perching on - it, which meant my head was short of space too.

So I don't want one of those, but the interior of the R-design model in the showroom is much more appealing, with nicer and more Volvoey - if still rather high - seats and a more enveloping feel. But I'm still unconvinced that I'd want one of these in a world that contains the Golf GTI. After all - and I can hear Gmac warming up - is a Volvo that a tall driver has to squeeze into really a Volvo at all?
 Candidate 5 (yes, really): Volvo C70 - WillDeBeest
I admit this one does seem a bit loopy, being about as long as the S60 and, with all its folding roof workings and the stiffening to compensate for them, a good 200kg heavier; and all, in D3 manual form, with no more power or torque to shift it all. And the roof, when folded, almost fills the boot, so Saturday drives to cricket matches would have to be roof-up or with the bag on the back seat.

But my inner sybarite doesn't want to know that. He's thinking of the goodies Volvo stacked into the end-of-line Solstice edition - the soft leather upholstery and the Premium Audio system - and looking at how far the prices have fallen from their £30,000-plus starting point. I could have an Approved 2012 car for something in the mid-teens. And I've been looking happily at hardtop coupés, so even if the roof went down only occasionally it wouldn't really matter.

What more sensible midlife-crisiswagen could there be than a diesel-engined Volvo? This idea has really got hold of me. Go on, talk me out of it!
 Candidate 5 (yes, really): Volvo C70 - Runfer D'Hills
Not at all, the Volvo convertible would be a nice thing no doubt.

You could also get some grey faux snakeskin ( preferably slightly too pointy ) slip on shoes and some marginally too tight slacks to wear while driving it. Just the ticket to complete the middle aged lounge lizard effect...

;-))
Thanks Humph. Yes, I was wondering about getting my hair dyed too, but decided I'd have to find some more first. Less for the wind to mess up - although there's the sun to worry about.
Tuck what remains under a jaunty baseball cap.
Would these shoes do? More ostrich than snake but it's the thought that counts.
www.charlesclinkard.co.uk/mens-c9/shoes-c10/paco-milan-paco-milan-alicante-leather-slip-on-mens-shoes-p4595/s68168?gclid=CIuH2sXK_cMCFQyWtAod4yYAZw
Sadly the sizes stop at 46, so I'll have to express my reptilian soul in another way.
Ideal one would have thought. You could always cut little holes in the front of them to allow room for your toes.
Incidentally, there's a guy near here, ( well it is Cheshire ) who wears shoes like that and slightly too tight slacks. His chosen vehicle is a Hyundai Coupe though. I've often wondered where he goes in those shoes.
Some more styling cues...

;-)

polyliving.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/lounge-lizard-1.jpg
I recognize those glasses - but where's the folding bike?
};---)
In the boot of the cabriolet presumably...
Unlikely if the roof is down:
www.automotiveaddicts.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/2011-volvo-c70-trunk-1.jpg
Ah well, never mind, still plenty of room for back up stocks of Brut and medallions.
Incidentally, a decade ago I worked with a similar chap: permanent tan, gold chains around neck and on shoes, too-dark hair. He must have been about the age I am now. He came to work in a little red Nissan coupé - NX100, was it?
 Candidate 5 (yes, really): Volvo C70 - Armel Coussine
>> grey faux snakeskin ( preferably slightly too pointy ) slip on shoes

I had some of those back in the day. Chisel-toed, from the Beller or Carnaby Street or Cecil Gee Shaftesbury Avenue, can't remember. Very svelte they were... not very durable though. Flash neo-spiv gear seemed cool at the time. Tsk.
 Candidate 5 (yes, really): Volvo C70 - Citroënian
Hope I don't get laughed out of here, but i had a hire Peugeot RCZ the other week.

I was surprised just how good it was. Certainly, I'd take a Munich wagen before it but the RCZ is a genuinely different and fun car.

We've got an RCZ here...

;-)
 Candidate 5 (yes, really): Volvo C70 - sooty123
Any good to take for a spin?
Not sure I'd want to get that close.
 Candidate 5 (yes, really): Volvo C70 - sooty123
Really ? I'd take one out for spin. I think it looks a pretty good car, bit of looker I think. Probably normal modern rubbish French interior, but it looks like a good drive.
Does it seat three?
Might do, I gather it's quite wide.
Just as well. Had a look and if the third occupant has legs, he'll have to travel lying down.
 Candidate 5 (yes, really): Volvo C70 - Boxsterboy
We had an RCZ at work for 3 years (replaced by the SLK diesel - see other thread). Nice drive and yes, different. But hard suspension and numerous engine management warning light issues ....
Tried a C70 for size on my way home this afternoon. Didn't drive it - it was an automatic with the ropey old four-cylinder diesel, so not close enough to what I'd want to buy - but it's certainly nice to sit in. I'd ideally like a extra inch of headroom but I reckon I'd manage just fine.

The roof mechanism is a thing of near-balletic beauty. This was a 2008 car and it still worked perfectly, which bodes well for 2011-13 cars I'm looking for.
An SLK is about as big a folding hard-top as I would dare go. Anything bigger is just too compromised in too many ways (weight, stiffness, future reliability). How about a CLK convertible? About as sporty as a C70 (i.e not very).
 Candidate 5 (yes, really): Volvo C70 - legacylad
Re C70 folding roofs. A friend of mine in the car trade did warn me off them. A very complicated mechanism by all accounts, but in all honesty I am not sure how much truth there was in the matter. Whereas the 3 series folding fabric roof is tried & tested.
As an aside, I use Renovo products to keep mine pristine. Lots of Mini soft tops around my part of the world with disgusting filthy mould covered roofs. No excuse for letting them get into that condition.
One of the girls in our office had an Astra "Twin Top". That's the one with a folding metal roof. She had a load of trouble with that. I'll refrain from the obvious comment...

;-)
So will I.

Truth is, the folding roof is incidental to me. Everything else I'm looking at is a hardtop; it's just that the C70 doesn't come in any other form. It does, of course, come with a hefty weight and performance penalty - and the potential for expensive long-term trouble, although buying in the Approved Used market ought to mitigate that.

A friend at work has a CLK convertible, and it's still a nice piece of kit even at ten years old. But the last CLK was made in 2009 and I'm looking for something more recent. Besides, as German coupés go, I'm already convinced by BMW's offering - much less fussy than the ugly E coupé MB offers today.
 Candidate 5 (yes, really): Volvo C70 - swiss tony
>> A friend at work has a CLK convertible, and it's still a nice piece of kit even at ten years old. But the last CLK was made in 2009 and I'm looking for something more recent. Besides, as German coupés go, I'm already convinced by BMW's offering - much less fussy than the ugly E coupé MB offers today.
>>

E coupe/cab is in fact a renamed facelifted CLK.
Owes more to the C class than the E class...
Still ugly, outside and in, whatever's underneath. Don't want one.
Self-folding metal roofs are a damn silly idea. Hideous extra weight and the ever-present risk of something getting strained or bent and the thing sticking half-open or half-closed.

Cars are better with integral roofs - more aerodynamic and safer in the event of a roll, while adding stiffness to the structure.

If you really want alfresco motoring, a barchetta is the thing. Lightweight canvas top for when it rains. But dumbos are fascinated by ingenious machinery and don't think of the downside.
 Candidate 5 (yes, really): Volvo C70 - No FM2R
Don't think i am very high on your list today AC, I love Doctor Who, always have done, and I much prefer a metal roof over a fabric roof, and I've had several of both.

Double qualified as a dumbo, I guess.
>> Double qualified as a dumbo, I guess.

No, no, I'm sure you had your reasons. Horses for courses. Generational sort of thing. Doubtless you retain an affection for the good Doctor from a time before taste, or even reason, came into your judgements or calculations. That would be quite understandable. We all love some utterly crappy things in our heart of hearts.

So I forgive you FMR. Don't do it again though. (At least you aren't one of the old lechers on this site who drool over the 'kooky but cute' string of 'assistants').
>> I forgive you FMR

Not sure I forgive you for defending folding metal roofs though. Perhaps you've been lucky and careful, and anyway you sound quite rich. But I have a visceral distaste for anything heavy or unnecessarily elaborate (and therefore potentially fragile).

What's happened to simplicity and efficiency? They don't matter to you whippersnappers because you imagine technology can conquer anything. In reality without them you're just wasting money, instead of spending it to good effect. All that mechanical complexity threatens trouble and expense. If you want to be warm and dry, take the Phaeton. If you want proper sporting pleasure, get a barchetta or stripped saloon.
Ok, now I could afford both, but that hasn't always been the case - its often been one or the other. I've had several cloth top cars and whilst they've been great with the roof down in summer, they have been miserable in the winter.

At best they were simply cold. At worst rainwater and snow ran down the inside onto my leg. And of course there was no security.

A hard "soft top", if you see what I mean, is the best of both. As close as poss to a hard top in inclement weather or when parked somewhere a bit iffy, but all the glory of a convertible in the sun.
>> Ok, now I could afford both, but that hasn't always been the case - its often been one or the other.

Efficiency isn't about cost, it's about performance. Without which, the automobile is just white goods. The other thing it's about is aesthetics. However svelte the outline when the roof's in place and properly secured, you know the thing has weighty, fragile Heath Robinson mechanisms concealed for the moment.

The thing has an ugly soul, unlike an early-fifties 160bhp 1.5 litre V12 cart rear axle Ferrari Barchetta which has a certain barmy purity.

I'm an old geezer. Different attitudes. Conservative. Correct.

>> Still ugly, outside and in, whatever's underneath. Don't want one.
>>

Agree. An Audi A5 convertible it is then!
Yeah but, FWD and a cambelt, at least the Merc has a North-South engine and the power going to the correct wheels.

Your call of course...

;-)
 Candidate 5 (yes, really): Volvo C70 - legacylad
What's wrong with an M4 convertible?
Beestlings and I sat in a 2010 C70 in Maidenhead today. We fit, better than I thought; no hope of getting anyone behind me, but three-up is enough. I'm concerned that my head touches the lining when the roof is closed, but we're going to drive it anyway on Thursday to find out for certain. This won't be the one we buy - it's five years old, has the old four-cylinder Ford diesel, yet is hugely overpriced at £15,000 - but it looks and feels good, even if it sounds rough. And it'll tell me if we can keep it on our list.

Saw a gorgeous Le Mans Blue 325i coupé-convertible yesterday. But that, as far as I can tell, has no luggage space at all when the roof is down. 325i coupé will climb the list, though, if the C70 is ruled out on Thursday.
Back in the test-drive saddle this morning, albeit for a rather brief trundle around Maidenhead. No problem, shouldn't take too long to scrub the C70 off the list as heavy, slow and impractical.

Oh dear, didn't quite work that way. OK, I won't be buying this one, a 2010 automatic with the old Ford 136hp four-cylinder diesel - and certainly not at the price this dealer is asking - but it's a thoroughly likeable car, well planted on the road, easy to see out of and to manoeuvre in traffic, and with proper (and, in this case, powered) Volvo seats that squeeze, snuggle and support in all the right places and right to the top of my back.

It could do with an extra inch of headroom, but that bothered me less than I thought it might. And it really needs the five-cylinder engine, partly for the sound but mainly to drag that hefty body along a bit more enthusiastically.

It's still a long shot, to be honest. Mrs Beest will take a lot of convincing, but driving one would be the best way to achieve that. I can't help feeling it's a pity it was offered only as a folding hardtop when it would have worked so well - and been 200kg lighter, and had that extra headroom - as a fixed hardtop coupé. The folding roof - beautiful as the action is - is its least appealing feature to me. I have to decide whether I'd ever open it and, if not, whether it's worth dragging all that hardware around. Probably not but heart and head have never seen eye to eye.
}:---)
I do get the fresh air thing. I've had a few convertibles over the years and enjoyed them but none since my hair turned grey and there was a danger of looking a bit, well, I don't know really, overstated maybe...

Might a compromise be a car with a sunroof? Or do they tend to give head clearance issues to people with your condition?

;-)
>they tend to give head clearance issues to people with your condition?

And it'd ruin your hairstyle.
That's the main consideration, of course, NoFM. But the C70 is really a contender because it's a Volvo, not because it's a convertible. (Perhaps I should look for one with a broken roof mechanism at a knockdown price...) And the roof has, literally, to be all or nothing; sunroofs are a disaster for headroom.
 After the S60 - Avant
"Whereas the 3 series folding fabric roof is tried & tested."

It is indeed, but at some point the 3-series went down the folding hardtop route. I still think the soft-top looks better than the hardtop when closed. Audi have stuck to the canvas hood - but I'd imagine that WdB has spotted that convertibles aren't ideal for tall teenage Beestlings in the back, with their bottom half cramped and the top half blown about by the wind.

For me in your position, WdB, it would still be a GTI every time. The hybrid GTE is tempting, but if it's anything like the Audi A3 e-tron, the boot loses about a third of its capacity to the batteries, and might fail the cricket bag test.

A GTE estate would be great, but VW's marketing strategy is unfathomable as always. There's now a GTD estate, and an R estate, but not GTI.
I have been trying to find out about the pirates version of the Golf estate. Two dealers I contacted told me that prices were not yet available, as did VW Customer Care at Head Office. Strangely, DtD have the DSG equipped version priced on their website. Unfortunately, after trawling the net, it would appear from motoring articles that a manual version will not be available. I could have been very tempted by a manual, but as I intend to keep my next car for several years, I would not touch a DSG equipped car with a barge pole.
I shall keep my tinder dry just in case VW sell one with a manual. Otherwise it's back to a 5 door GTI.
Octavia VRS estate? Go like fertiliser off a hot shovel apparently. Kinda like them, cambelts and FWD though...
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 28 Feb 15 at 18:43
I long ago gave up trying to find either a 328 or 330 Touring. Must haves were coral red leather, sunroof, auto box, non bling wheels and adaptive headlights would be nice.
Picky yes. But it's my hard earned so I ain't going to compromise.
 After the S60 - Avant
"Octavia VRS estate? Go like fertiliser off a hot shovel apparently. Kinda like them, cambelts and FWD though..."

I can confirm that, Runfer - especially the manual. But it's not that much smaller than the E-class (the hatch is as long as the estate) so probably bigger than WdB needs.

There isn't a Fabia vRS any more: the last one was only available as an automatic (DSG) and didn't sell well - those two facts being connected and obviously so to anyone unless they wear a suit and work in marketing.
Last edited by: Avant on Sun 1 Mar 15 at 12:34
I think we'd wandered on to LL's requirement for a successor to his BMW softie, Avant. But you're right that the Octavia is appealingly rapid and capacious, if lacking (for me) in that last drop of feelgood factor in its interior. I have wondered about putting it on my list - although as a hatch rather than an estate.
 After the S60 - ....
...and not really all that quick, not when a Volvo D3 can show one the way home on a German autobahn (been there got the T-Shirt).
There'd only ever be one Beestling in the back, Avant. The space behind me - in 220i, C70 or even Golf - is effectively unusable, so it's just as well we've got a dirty big LEC to get all four of us about.

I have been noticing folding-hardtop 3s on the M4 this week. Not sure I'd be tempted, though, when the coupé is so well sorted, lighter, less to go wrong and most probably cheaper too. But I do like Volvos - and five-cylinder Volvo engines too. And Volvo audio, Volvo seats, even Volvo leather. And a C70 would have a proper indicator stick, not that too-clever-by-half BMW thing.

I realize now I've never driven an open car, and the last one I travelled in was probably a mate's MR2 about 12 years ago. That had me uttering its name in French as he hared round blind corners with my head protruding above the windscreen. Maybe I'm not cut out for wind-in-where-the-hair-used-to-be driving. But I need to find out.
>> I realize now I've never driven an open car,

I have, but only once that I can remember, a Mercedes 190SL on a coldish night from London to Colchester and back. Unless you count the Dyane with the fabric roof rolled right back.

I agree too that a convertible or old sporting car with the canvas roof up is noisy, draughty and leaky in wet weather. Open cars are torsionally floppier than proper full monocoques, so the suspension can't work to its best effect. But if you want an open car, lightweight barchetta is the way to go. You'll have something else for wet or wintry weather, won't you?

:o}

Footnote: best sporting jalopies I've been allowed to drive were a Lancia B20 coupé and a Porsche 911S. Not for long enough to learn how to really make them fly, but long enough to get up a decent speed and pass people.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 1 Mar 15 at 14:35
You could of course get the Volvo fettled, keep it going for a bit longer and also get a Westfield/Caterham...

You are not a number...

;-)
Cobblers AC ( with respect)
Drove back to my place in t'Dales late this afternoon after a decent long walk with friends on the edge of the Lake District. Three up, we were all dampish, sleet turned to heavy snow but my canvas roof was 100% water tight. Nice comfortable ride on the 18" rims, air con kept all glass clear, listened to the Beach Boys and a grand day out for all concerned.
The only time my soft top lets in a drop of water, and I mean a few drops at most, is when I vigorously pressure wash it.
And the body doesn't flex much either. And the noise generated by the straight six when cracking on is more than acceptable. Although I chose not to today. Discretion was advised given the snow covered roads.
Glad I had the cold weather tyres on! I'm not a driving God.
OK, OK! I'm just remembering tatty old sidescreens and roofs from forties and even thirties cars. I agree that by the sixties a classy Jaguar or similar roof would have two layers with padding in between, and wouldn't be leaky.

Actually an SLK followed me out of the supermarket car park yesterday, and lo and behold I saw its roof going up, unfolding and clunking into place in my rv mirror at the traffic lights into the road. It was a nice day but windy and not too warm. The geezer had second thoughts.
I do remember my pals Frog Eye Sprite letting in some water, but it was pretty bashed around and beingin our late teens, he could not afford one in good condition. I do not recall my old Spitfire letting in much water.
Snowing again here, and more forecast over the next two days. Dumped Herman on my sloping drive after driving home yesterday. Not much clearance in my garage and won't risk gunning it up the drive in 3" of snow and losing a mirror or two on entering the garage slightly askew.
 After the S60 - Boxsterboy
>> Three up, we were all dampish,
>> sleet turned to heavy snow but my canvas roof was 100% water tight. Nice comfortable
>> ride on the 18" rims, air con kept all glass clear, listened to the Beach
>> Boys.
>>

No, no and thrice NO! The Beach Boys can NEVER be heard when there is 'sleet turning to heavy snow' (unless it's their Christmas song). Their songs can only ever be played:
1. In a car.
2. When it is sunny and warm.

End of.
I agree
Mitigating circumstances are that one of my passengers is a BB nut. Has been for decades. When on tour in the UK he will see three consecutive concerts, travelling all over the UK. There is no cure. I try to humour him.
I'm more of a Tom Petyt person if we must visit that era. I prefer radio talk to music.
whoops ! See AT for navy Westie !
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 2 Mar 15 at 20:36
Nice. But only 42 miles on a 2013? And what's that mark on the n/s door?
Lovely colour though
 After the S60 - ....
What you need WDB is a BMW 2 series coupe, that's what you want to hear so go for it.
He'd have to cut a hole in the roof though. Not majorly cool.
 After the S60 - ....
They do a convertible and he only drives in the SE so he can drive with an umbrella up when it's raining.
When I had my Westfield, I may have mentioned this before, but I used to get dead flies sticking to my forehead if the conditions were right. Could foresee similar issues for WDB.
 After the S60 - ....
You need a helmet then in which case, grow a pair, ditch two wheels and, go fast rather than mince around the countryside in your tweeds !
 After the S60 - ....
You want some serious advise from someone who owned the same car as you (a couple of years younger 54 plate):
1. Keep your car, spend a few quid on it and keep it.
2. Forget Volvo. The new cars are not what you know. I have a 2011 S60 and it is carp in comparison to what you have. So much so, I am considering swapping mine for a 2012 SAAB.
Fair point, Gmac - apart from the two wheels part, obviously.
};---)

I could easily spend £6-800 on fettling the S60 and still have a slightly battered, 12.5-year-old-car, albeit one I still enjoy driving when the conditions are right. Admittedly only a few months' lease payments on a new one, but I feel I have to draw the line somewhere and that there's fun to be had along the way.
The circumstances that have kept the purse strings tight since 2010 are changing - thanks not to Mr Osborne but to a promotion for me and a new income for Mrs Beest - mean that we have the disposable to address what we've been putting off and a chance to set ourselves up for the next few years before we need to consider a successor to the LEC as well.

Of course you can never make a rational argument for buying a car; it will lose value and lots of it. But this feels like the least bad time to do so, and if old S60s are that sought-after, perhaps it'll help me get a decent price for mine.
I doubt the C70 is for us; I can't get excited about the V40, although I'm going to try one too on Thursday in case it surprises me. I would like a Golf - provided it's a manual with standard wheels and no silly noises - and I've really liked the BMWs I've looked at. I haven't bothered with Audi yet, obvious as the A3 ought to be. Some more investigating to be done yet, so no hassty decisions, I promise.
 After the S60 - ....
I'd be hugely surprised if a V40 will hit the sweet spot for you given the space requirement.
I know a Volvo in Kent have a T6 in., not for me given the interior condition and age but maybe if you hang on, a T6 n V60 or V70 form may come along for you.
Space in the R-design manual one we tried in the showroom was better than we feared: 1.79m or Beestling fitted behind 1.97m of me - not with much space to spare, but it wasn't possible at all in the C70. Poorly designed boot, though - high lip to which a false loading floor is the wrong solution - and spectacularly poor rearward visibility, at least in a showroom. Who knows, I may fall for it out on the road but I'm not expecting to.
 After the S60 - ....
What do you really want?

We know you are ten feet tall and your children are 8 feet plus so, are we kidding ourselves anything "normal" will fit the bill ? Should we just go straight to the SUV section ?

Tollbar in Coventry have an XC60 with a T6 motor in...
We have a family bus; we don't need a mummy wagon too.
 After the S60 - ....
What are you going to fit in ?
If you are seriously 7' tall a Golf GTi is going to feel pretty squashed for space. Could be you get the family bus and SWMBO get's the toy?
I'm fortunate I'm just under 6' tall so I can have a motorbike and a sports car while SWMBO can have a bus and bike,
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 29 Mar 15 at 00:03
I've driven the GTI and the little BMW and I fit just fine, so long as no-one needs to sit behind me - which they won't. 1.97m is only 6'5" in furlongs and fortnights, although it does mean my head brushes the lining in the C70, which will probably rule it out in the end - if only because of Humph's flies-on-forehead concern when the roof is down.
 After the S60 - R.P.
Agree with the boot space on the V40. Mine has a spare so taking the false floor out doesn't help at all. The front seats are fine. Mine has carried 5 adults and is OK...bu wouldn't want to do it over a long distance.

The rear visibility is rubbish, especially on emerging from junctions and with standard privacy glass. Mainly down to thick pillars.

This is more than made up for by an excellent seating position and seats. My back is so much better since I sold the 3 Series. 5'11" with regular legs. R Design seats.

Good car all in all, the T5 is a gem of an engine. I don't really like the auto box though.

PS
I really love the engine !
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 2 Apr 15 at 15:09
Changed the dog's names to Ronnie and Reggie yet?
 After the S60 - R.P.
:-)....it arrived home late yesterday evening, it was dark and raining, not had an oppertunity to look at it yet in detail let alone ride/drive in it. Later on perhaps....photo will follow. Even I, who doesn't do cool, must concede it looks the part.
It'll have an engine no doubt? What manner of one?

( sorry WDB about the drift )

;-)
 After the S60 - R.P.
1.6 Diesel. Does a lot to a gallon
It will, no doubt. That's a good thing then.

The little blue light on top might rip the mpg back a bit though.
Not so much drift as tailspin. What on earth are you talking about?
}@---(
His new little van.
What! He's bought Vantage? Hope it's a soft top. Good man.
I'm jealous.
 After the S60 - R.P.
:-(....not quite.
 Candidate 6: BMW 325d coupé - WillDeBeest
Yes, at it again today. This one I liked.

3-year-old car for similar money to the LEC, which was also three years old when we bought it. Gorgeous shade of blue, a non-black leather interior with BMW's excellent sports seats (with heat and memory) and some appealing extras too.

Easy to get comfortable, and without the 220i's problem of the wheel obscuring the instruments. Mixed route of busy town traffic and flowing but busy motorway showed it in a very good light. The engine had the flexibility to pootle almost to a standstill and still pull away in third, while 60 in sixth is 1800rpm, or just at the bottom end of peak torque; in both cases, it was very easy to make satisfactory, relaxing progress.

Didn't have time to venture into the countryside, so can't comment on the B-road bends that ought to be its forte, but I think it would do just fine. As with the 220i, this is an M-sport on 18-inch wheels (255 at the back - ouch!) but the ride is very acceptable, even at low speed on some very poor surfaces. I was prepared for the indicator switch this time; had a practice before we set off and did fine with it. It's still a solution to a problem I don't have - as is the LEC's irksome all-in-one stalk - but I could live with it.

I was solo this time, so couldn't put my usual live model in the back, but I've been one of four adults in a 3 coupé of the same period and it will certainly take three as we require. Access is OK; for me in the front the long door actually helps, as the opening is closer to my seated position. Didn't try cricket bags in the boot but there's plenty of room there, and the seats fold should I ever forget to take the LEC to the timber yard.

You can probably tell I liked this car. The test route was quite a good model for my M4 commute - albeit without the standstill queues like last Friday - and I tried to imagine it was six-thirty on a November evening and I was on my weary way home, since this is what will probably account for 9,000 of my next car's 12,000 a year. I'm a little surprised to like the manual so much, having been impressed by the 220i's automatic, but that low-down flexibility makes all the difference, and I still prefer a manual for crisp changes of speed. No shortage of space in the footwell, either; my size 13s were just fine. Liked the updated audio system too; should make the queues more tolerable.

But, a 325d? Not a popular model here, to judge from my trawl of the archives. The six cylinders make a pleasing noise - deeper and more muted than the S60's five, and with no hint of diesel rattle. Some suggest the 330d version of the same engine makes more sense (as with the E280-E320 difference I considered in 2012, before settling for an E220.) But, given that this one has pretty much the spec I'd have written out myself, is plenty fast enough for the places I'm likely to drive it, and the computer was showing an average of 44.5mpg, presumably not all my doing - well, I have to admit I'm seriously tempted.

Big diesel for 10-12,000 a year? Well, that's what we've done for the past five years and it seems to be working. Yes, there's a DPF in this one, but our journeys are seldom short, and this and the LEC would continue to get regular 20-mile runs at a decent speed. Would you?
 Candidate 6: BMW 325d coupé - No FM2R
>Would you?

Probably not, but that's because I don't like diesels. The car itself is a fine car.

As a matter of interest, considering your mileage, difference in type of fuel prices, premium to buy and/or service, MPG, etc. etc. how does the financial case between diesel and petrol work out for you?
 Candidate 6: BMW 325d coupé - WillDeBeest
Generally not enough to worry about. Similarly with manual and automatic, it's more about the car. Some cars - Mercedes estates as one glaring example - simply work best as diesel autos, so that's what I bought. A Golf GTI - still a contender, incidentally - would lose some of its identity and fun factor as a GTD, and needs to be a manual for me.

Suppose 10,000 miles pa. Petrol car does 8 miles a litre, petrol is £1.12 a litre, so 14p a mile or £1,400 a year. Diesel in same car does 10, even 11 miles to a litre but fuel is £1.21, so 11p a mile or £1,100 a year. In most cases a saving of £1,200 over four years is lost in the purchase-price noise of colours, mileages and options.

In the case of the BMW, I liked the four-cylinder turbo-petrol 220i, but didn't really notice any character; not necessarily a bad thing, as too much character can be worse than too little. It felt lively in quite a small car. The six-cylinder diesel in the 325d suits the extra gravitas of the bigger car. It feels happy to cruise when that's all that's required, with the reassurance in reserve of that shove-in-the-back oomph good turbo-diesels do so well.

Economy-wise, I suspect the 325d would better the lowish-40s of the S60, and comfortably best the E220's 37. A Golf GTI should also get into the 40s, which would be good enough.

In my experience, my diesel cars have cost no more in routine servicing than a petrol version would have done. And this particular car has two years left on a pre-paid service package, which would be handy.

That wasn't much of an answer, was it? You can probably tell from the fact that I'm considering both that I'm not too bothered either way. If I can avoid a four-cylinder diesel, I will - but as the LEC shows, even that can be a perfectly civilized way to travel.
 Candidate 6: BMW 325d coupé - Runfer D'Hills
Sounds like more than a bit of a plan WDB. Lovely car I'm sure. Only very slight aside is that we've found on very odd occasions that it's no bad thing for the "fleet" to be unexpectedly interchangeable. If you're not bothered about that then fine, but maybe, just maybe, I'd lob in the thought of a 3 Touring...

Ignoring that, I'd maybe go for it. At least the work commute would be more than pleasing enough with that car.
 Candidate 6: BMW 325d coup�© - WillDeBeest
Fair point, Humph, and it's one area where the Golf scores over the BMW. Mrs Beest manages to put her bulky teaching kit in the boot and back seat of the S60 but wouldn't get it into a coupé, even one of similar overall dimensions. Of course, she'd have the LEC, in which it rattles around. She does teach the odd Sunday morning, which is a time I'm driving and training young cricketers, but she's trying to get away from that; that's the only clash I can think of, and I think the cricketers and I could fit ourselves and our kit into the coupé once in a while if necessary.

I'm sure the 3 estate - and the saloon for that matter - are all but indistinguishable from the coupé in terms of driving manners. But neither has quite the requisite midlife crisis quality I'm after; they're both cars I considered - in earlier incarnations - before I decided on the S60, so it would have less of the feeling I'm after of moving on and starting something new. That said, I'll probably end up buying one.
 Candidate 6: BMW 325d coup���© - legacylad
During a lull in trade on Saturday I had a chat with a customer about his car. A 58 plate 525d Touring. Looks lovely in a dark metallic grey, fully specced, with panoramic roof. Not sure about the cream leather interior though. He thinks it is the puppies privates and really likes it.
 Candidate 6: BMW 325d - tyre surprise - WillDeBeest
Thought I'd better price up tyre replacements before proceeding further. The car has four new Bridgestone somethings - I forgot to ask if they're run-flat - but with 225/40 on the front and 255/35 on the back I thought I ought to know what I might be letting myself in for. Michelins in similar sizes at nearly £250 each put me off Sport versions of the LEC; my Avantgarde is a more manageable £130 a tyre.

So it was with bated breath that I tapped the details in at blackcircles.com; and with an exclamation of moderate surprise that I found Pilot Sport 3 at £105ish front and £150ish rear. So surprised that I thought I'd better check somewhere else, but Best Buy Tyres comes up very similar. Run-flat fronts are about £40 more, rears £50, which is getting expensive but not unbearable.

As a further check, I repriced the Primacy 3s I bought for the LEC last summer and found them about £20 lower now - £110 instead of £130 - so it looks like tyre prices have dipped a bit, presumably because raw materials are cheaper with the fall in oil prices.
 After the S60 - No FM2R
No point buying a Volvo, can't get comfort in a Volvo!

www.bbc.com/autos/story/20150504-month-in-tech-lap-of-luxury-in-a-volvo
I'm sure it's fascinating, NoFM, but apparently I'm not foreign enough to read it. I'd better call Housekeeping to mop up the froth from the Small Minds contingent.
};---)
 After the S60 - VxFan
I "think" this is the article Mark is referring to

tinyurl.com/klexuwp (www.canadianmanufacturing.com)
 After the S60 - No FM2R
Thanks Dave.
 And the winner is... - WillDeBeest
...the 325d. A few paperworky things to do before I collect it on Friday but the 'sold' sign was in its windscreen when I arrived this afternoon to confirm the arrangements.

Reviewing my original wish list, it ticks three boxes out of four. It's really no smaller than the S60, but that extends to the inside too; it would be a respectable four-seater with anyone but me driving - and it could even (just) be me in the back. And the boot will certainly take cricket bags, without folding the seats - although it offers that option too.

On paper at least, it out-MPGs the LEC by about 10, which is promising - should cost me less in fuel than a GTI anyway.

Which leaves feelgood. I wrote in the One Last Time thread that I'll miss the sound of five cylinders, but one way to ease that is to have six. You certainly wouldn't mistake it for a four-cylinder diesel; even the LEC's thick insulation can't hide the rattle completely, but this is a very different machine.
Inside it has BMW sports seats similar to those that impressed me in the 220i, but with more room to create a comfortable driving position. Cream leather too, and softer and smoother than the rhino hide in the LEC. Memory, of course; how did marriages survive without it? And the outside isn't grey, so I'll know which one is mine.
And what may turn out to be my favourite feature, the top-of-the-line Harman Kardon audio system, should keep me from pining for the S60's HU-803, even when progress is slow on the M4.

It feels like a good balance: fast and firm when I have the opportunity to enjoy it, but smooth and civilized when I just need to be cosseted on the way home from work. And yes, as Beestling Minor has been gleefully pointing out, it has just a hint of the midlife crisis about it. I'm sure Humph has just the shoes I'll need to go with it.
 And the winner is... - legacylad
Six is always better than five. And eight better than 6. No tittering at the back....
Someone I know has recently changed his 2 door M3 for a four door M5. Sounds wonderful. Looks lovely in metallic blue. No idea how old it is because it's on private plates.
BMW model numbers now confuse me. The new 330 is actually a four pot with twin turbos. Previously badged a 328. Which years ago was a straight six. And a Mercedes 250 is actually a 2.2 I think. Probably not even a V6.
Indeed, LL. For badges to match engine sizes, even my four-cylinder 220 ought strictly to be a 210, as should Humph's newer 250. You can have a six-cylinder E but it's a 3.0 badged 350 (or 280 or 320 for the previous model; anything but 300.)

BMW takes it even further. The same 2.0d four comes with (I think) four different badges, from 316d up to the 325d that replaced the one I'm buying. The top one has more power than the six in mine - although that's at the bottom of another ladder that runs up to 335d. All achieved with programming, different ancillaries and the occasional extra turbo.

No badge on this car, though. Probably just as well.
 And the winner is... - legacylad
As of this month there is a new model 340 Touring, which replaces the 335. Straight six 3.0. MPG officially in excess of 41mpg combined. Probably 30 in the real world. More & more performance with more & more mpg. I suppose there is a market for it, but 99% of the time a 2.0 petrol would fulfil my needs. Or even a VAG 1.4 TFSI if I was honest with myself.
Must be getting old....
 And the winner is... - Pezzer
WillDeBeest, sorry come late to this thread but I hope you enjoy the car. I have a 07 plate 325i Coupe which I have had for a couple of years now. I am very pleased with it and am currently looking around for a slightly newer one, preferably a 330i. I find it quite capable and is certainly more than a 2+2 and as you say it can swallow a couple of cricket bags. Surprisingly my rear seats fold down which reveals a useful amount of space albeit with a slightly limited aperture but I have managed to transport a folded single mattress to the tip in it.

Thanks, Pezzer. I was late seeing your comment too.

The car passed its first cricket bag test yesterday - and did a better job of carrying the bags than we did with using their contents. I confess I then took it a gratuitously long and twisty way home - taking in the winding hill climb on which I'd tried the other candidates but not this one as it came from further afield - and enjoyed it very much. It seldom went above fourth gear and spent a lot of time in third, yet was still showing more than 40 on the fuel computer by the end.

Tomorrow it will take me to work for the first time, so we'll see if it does drudgery as well as bright summer evenings.
Latest Forum Posts