Motoring Discussion > Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 86

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - Bromptonaut
Our older Berlingo, known as Enrico, hit 150,000 miles today so it seemed appropriate to pen a proper report.

It’s a 1.9D first registered in March 2005 and owned by us since new. Bought to replace a 1991/H BX 1.9TGD estate that had failed its MoT. Initial intention was for it to be second car to my 2000/X Xantia and was bought on a 3yr/27k miles PCP with a review to replacing both in 2008.

Due to problems with the Xantia in July 2005 it got ‘bumped up’ the running order and was used for the family camping holiday in France. So successful was it that the Xantia never went abroad again and was demoted to station hack and bike carrier. As a result Berlingo went way over the mileage for the PCP and we bought it outright in 2008.

Overall picture is of a comfortable and reliable load lugger that has worn extremely well.

Performance – It’s a 1.9D with a power output of 61bhp so never going to set the world on fire. On the other hand lots of torque and a well matched gearbox mean it keeps up in traffic or on Alpine passes, even fully laden. It can though run out of puff on French m/way inclines (which are steeper than in UK) requiring resort to the ‘vehicules lent’ lane. On level it will happily cruise at 130kph if you leave your foot on the floor, accept the impact on fuel consumption and engine noise. On the other hand if kept just under 3k rpm, which corresponds to a tad under 70mph in top, it’s relaxed and comfortable. That’s fine for us, we won’t drive more than 600miles in a day anyway and a few extra mph on max speed doesn't give a matching increase in progress.

Averages around 40-45mpg on a run, less round town. Not too bad for breeze block aerodynamics and engine that has to work hard. If we’d bought it for role it ended up in we might have gone for the 2.0Hdi 90 offered for an extra £1k which would have done 40+ average.

Equipment and Comfort– It came in ‘Desire’ trim which gave a part glazed roof with two capacious overhead lockers each with a permanently live 12v connector. Very useful for keeping phones, i-pods, mini play-stations etc fully charged, particularly when camping where we never had an electric connection. Desire also added tables on rear of front seats, fold down armrests at front, a CD player, integrated roof rails and front fogs.

The seats are trimmed in a blue cloth which, while prone to marking from water spills, has worn very well and cleans easily with proprietary shampoo. No sign of any fraying or sag to any of seats. Three hour sectors are fine comfort wise, though as kids have grown up they’ve found the rear seat padding a little unyielding – cured with a cushion.

The doors on the overhead lockers were a weak spot, refusing to stay shut after around 7 years use, and would have been £100 each to replace. Now secured closed with Velcro. No other trim problems and it was and remains free of rattles and squeaks.

Front seats adjust only fore/aft and for rake but combined with height adjust for steering wheel all four of us can drive it comfortably.

Air con was an extra we turned down on basis of original planned use. In fact it’s not been missed greatly due to combination of excellent ventilation and low solar gain from silver paint.

In Use – This is where it wins. It’s roamed as far north as the Butt of Lewis and south to the Costa Brava as well as Switzerland and Germany. Although a foot shorter than the Xantia it absorbed our large Khyam tent, two (and sometimes three) teenagers, camping kit and clothing for a three week holiday with ease and still had space for beer/wine inbound to UK. Dog guard (a pig to fit) was installed to ensure luggage stayed in boot under all conditions. Roof load limit is 100kg but in deference to its ‘high vehicle’ status the 400l roof box carried mostly light weight stuff; alloy folding chairs and stools, picnic table etc.

Servicing and Reliability – Service interval is 10k and has been strictly adhered to with some services early in anticipation of long trips. The recent 150k item was the seventeenth in service record. Initially done in Citroen dealer network then by local French Car indy but last was DIY. On it’s third set of brake discs, fifth pads and probably fourth exhaust – they tend to suffer metal fatigue at pipe/rear box join before the box/baffles give up. Tyres do about 30k with new ones going on rear. Local Formula One fast fit usually has good deal on either Michelin or BF Goodrich - £60/£70 fitted and balanced.

The first cambelt started to fray at around 60k due to a failed idler but to its credit belt stayed in place. The fraying made it noisy so quickly came to attention. It was in turn replaced at 140k.

By a country mile it’s the most reliable car I've ever owned. Notwithstanding slight issues in cold weather it’s never not started and failed to complete just two journeys. First when clutch failed at around 110k and about 6 months later when corroded alternator terminal caused loss of all electrical power. Nobody but me to blame for clutch, I’d been warned at service it was on its last legs. Alternator is a design thing – low set at front of car. Indy though reckoned it should have been capable of at least a temporary repair at roadside.

It’s done last 10k miles in 9 months and we’re happily splitting long distance jobs between it and the newer car to keep latter’s mileage in bounds of warranty. Out to North Devon before Xmas, Plymouth just after and 2*returns to Liverpool for new Uni term. Was up Birmingham today and Liverpool again tomorrow

It will be run into the ground.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - WillDeBeest
Sorry to pick on you, Bromp, and I know the old brick has served you well, but you can't have this both ways:
Averages around 40-45mpg on a run, less round town.

It achieves 40-45 at its best, perhaps, but the average is brought down by the lower value in traffic.

I remember getting quite excited by the first Berlingo I sat in, in 1997. This was in the days of the universal sunroof, and finding something I could actually fit into was a big day.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - Runfer D'Hills
It likes brakes doesn't it? My Merc only had its first pads and discs at 96k, those in turn are hardly worn at 120k. Tyres do 40k both ends and mpg shows a long term average of 50.3 mpg on the computery thing. Constantly overladen with heavy work kit and regularly in and out of London too so the brakes do get used. No cam belt either.

Oh and it can get up hills quite well...

;-)
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - John Boy
What kind of masochist do you have to be to post a long term vehicle report on this forum?

:-)
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - Zero
He also forgot to mention its only running on one cylinder for the first 5 minutes.
Oh and mine hasn't broken down yet. Um, and nor did the Qashqai which preceded it, or the Mondeo which preceded that and went on to 200,000 with functional glovebox lids...

But I'm sure the Berlingo is indeed a very good car.

Whistles and shuffles off stage left...

;-)
>> Whistles and shuffles off stage left...
>>
>> ;-)

Some French cars are reliable, unlike the Espace...

Whistles and exits stage right :-P
Touché !

;-)
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - Zero
>> Oh and mine hasn't broken down yet. Um, and nor did the Qashqai which preceded
>> it, or the Mondeo which preceded that and went on to 200,000 with functional glovebox
>> lids...
>>
>> But I'm sure the Berlingo is indeed a very good car.
>>
>> Whistles and shuffles off stage left...
>>
>> ;-)

Mind, I'm sure the Lingo is not rifling through his wallet stealing several hundred pounds a month in BiK payments...........
That hurt you know.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - Old Navy

>>
>> Mind, I'm sure the Lingo is not rifling through his wallet stealing several hundred pounds
>> a month in BiK payments...........
>>

BiK can't be a bad deal for a fully funded car or people would not have them.
It is, mainly because it means you don't actually have to buy them or maintain them or suffer the depreciation etc.

Still hurts though.

>>
>> Still hurts though.
>>

Oh you poor soul, my heart bleeds for you. :)
Just making hay while the sun shines ON ! It'll be dark enough soon...
I am sure there is a creative accountant somewhere who can offset a little BiK. :)
Bromp has a little bike.
On second thoughts, pay the BiK, it helps fund my pension. :)
>> Bromp has a little bike.

Oy!!!!
>> >> Bromp has a little bike.
>>
>> Oy!!!!

Missed edit. You should see it at it's full size and listen to reports on what can do.
I don't want to think about that, I've just eaten.
>> BiK can't be a bad deal for a fully funded car or people would not
>> have them.

Exactly what I was about to say.

OTOH I'd have got a new one every three years and wouldn't have been watching the odometer click up to 150k just by the Long Buckby Wharf junction on the A5 this afternoon.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - Dave_
>> My Merc only had its first pads and discs at 96k

Bodes well for mine then, they were nowhere near half worn at the 30k service six months ago.

Now on 42k, showing 3700m to next service, but it'll turn 3 years old in 3 weeks' time. Is it worth getting it serviced early just in case any warranty work shows up? It had a £500 water pump under warranty last time...
I think brake life is determined mostly by the driver rather than the car. Some drivers can't leave them alone, or don't have the anticipation to lose speed naturally (or not to gain it in the first place.)
>> I think brake life is determined mostly by the driver rather than the car. Some
>> drivers can't leave them alone, or don't have the anticipation to lose speed naturally (or
>> not to gain it in the first place.)

Urban v inter urban driving is the real differentiator. Although it was the family car the 'lingo was Mrs B's commuter mount from 2005 until 2013. Teaching first in a neighbouring town then as peripatetic supply anywhere from Daventry to Aylesbury and out to Corby and travelling in peak is always going to be stop start.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 20 Feb 15 at 08:13
Maybe so but - especially with a manual transmission - there's no need to be constantly shifting from accelerator to brake as some seem to. You can let the gap in front stretch a little, trundle in first with the clutch fully up, then declutch as the gap shrinks and bring the car to a stop with a gentle squeeze on the pedal. You won't wear out any brakes that way.

It's the reason I actually prefer my manual to my auto in heavy traffic, since the auto's trundle speed is higher and the only way to slow it is with the brakes - although it is now past 70,000 on its original set.
>> Maybe so but - especially with a manual transmission - there's no need to be
>> constantly shifting from accelerator to brake as some seem to. You can let the gap
>> in front stretch a little, trundle in first with the clutch fully up, then declutch
>> as the gap shrinks and bring the car to a stop with a gentle squeeze
>> on the pedal. You won't wear out any brakes that way.

Exactly my technique. But probably not Mrs B's.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - B9 service info - movilogo
>> ince the auto's trundle speed is higher and the only way to slow it is with the brakes

In slow traffic, it is possible to let the car come to natural stop by shifting lever from D to N while it is creeping. Sometimes only feather touch on brake is required to make it complete stop you misjudged the distance.

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - B9 service info - WillDeBeest
...as one would depress the clutch in a manual, Movi. But I'm not sure I'd want to add stress and wear to an expensive component - the transmission - to spare the relatively cheap front brakes. I do use N but only after I've come to a stop, and if I think I'm going to be stationary for some time.

It's a bit like those (mostly from a previous generation) who shift laboriously down through a manual box on a motorway off-slip 'to save the brakes'.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Tue 24 Feb 15 at 12:26
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - B9 service info - PeterS
I *think* mine creeps in 2nd not first? I thought in ordinary use it pulled away in second anyway.... Will have to check tomorrow whether manually selecting first using the paddles makes it creep more slowly!

>> Averages around 40-45mpg on a run, less round town.
>>
>> It achieves 40-45 at its best, perhaps, but the average is brought down by the
>> lower value in traffic.

I know what I meant!!

On it's best long runs it might get nearer to 50mpg. 40-45 is a reasonable average between those instances and the four up into headwind with a roofbox on cases where i struggles to do 40mpg. The average for a cross section of round town runs is lower....

The overall average......
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - MD
I'll buy yer a pint if you make it to North Devon.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - BobbyG
www.autoexpress.co.uk/citroen/berlingo/90500/citroen-berlingo-2015-upgraded-tech-and-improved-space

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - sooty123
We've just got the berlingo van at work, the locking system is annoying and completely baffling various buttons for unlocking the doors and the back/sliding doors. Does have a good radio, but had a new clutch at 12k miles.
>> We've just got the berlingo van at work, the locking system is annoying and completely
>> baffling various buttons for unlocking the doors and the back/sliding doors.

Eh,? Both ours, the 05 1.9D subject of this review and the 2013 1.6Hdi/115, just have lock or unlock buttons on the remote fob. Doors can be locked from inside or set to 'automatic' where they lock/unlock at 5mph plus, on the newer one some sort of child lock I've never bothered with.

Perhaps the vans are different.

>> Does have a good
>> radio, but had a new clutch at 12k miles.

The radio in newer one is brill. Was reminded today when Lad drove home from Liverpool with his g/f in front seat and me in back that while it sounds good in front the rear speakers on the 05 version are a bit crummy.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 20 Feb 15 at 21:16
>> Perhaps the vans are different.

It's the locks inside, there are two more buttons inside, two for various door options, both baffling. They open or unlock some sort of door.

I meant the radio could BT and connect to a wider range of channels. Living in the middle of nowhere a couple of channels is pretty good going.
>> It's the locks inside, there are two more buttons inside, two for various door options,
>> both baffling. They open or unlock some sort of door.

One controls the child locks on the rear doors. The other has two functions (a) simply pushing it instantly locks all four doors (b) press and hold down selects a taxi type autolock where the doors lock at 5mph and unlock again below that speed.

>> I meant the radio could BT and connect to a wider range of channels.
>> Living in the middle of nowhere a couple of channels is pretty good going.

Mine doesn't do that. I can though connect an MP3 source via an auxiliary socket in the passenger side glove box.
>> >> It's the locks inside, there are two more buttons inside, two for various door
>> options,
>> >> both baffling. They open or unlock some sort of door.
>>
>> One controls the child locks on the rear doors. The other has two functions (a)
>> simply pushing it instantly locks all four doors (b) press and hold down selects a
>> taxi type autolock where the doors lock at 5mph and unlock again below that speed.

There aren't any child locks, it's a van. I don't think the other one does that. I just tend to leave them both alone, probably broken. Mind you I've found french cars to be, for me, poorly laid out. We get quite a few as hire cars, never really got on with them.
I never use them either. Kids are way past age where child locks are needed and I don't feel need for autolock while moving. Might use instant lock once in a blue moon if I felt insecure in an inner city.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - Boxsterboy
I don't know what you paid for the Berlingo after the PCP faff, but given this reliability, the use you've had from it and the aim to run it into the ground, this tale must be the very definition of economy motoring.

Oh, and why 'Enrico'? I know the thing was built in Spain (I think) but it's not a very French name, is it?
>> I don't know what you paid for the Berlingo after the PCP faff, but given
>> this reliability, the use you've had from it and the aim to run it into
>> the ground, this tale must be the very definition of economy motoring.

The only cheaper way would have been to buy well AND at low cost in the 2yo/24k mile market.

>> Oh, and why 'Enrico'? I know the thing was built in Spain (I think) but
>> it's not a very French name, is it?

When we got the second one, a 1.6Hdi/115, in 2013 the last three letters of its registration were FLR. My daughter insisted that meant its name was Fleur, as in Fleur Weasley (nee Delacour) in the Harry Potter books.

She also decided mine needed a name.

Enrico Berlingo tripped off my tongue for some reason but I couldn't think why. A bit of brain dredging eventually led me to seventies European politics. The leader of the Italian Communists, who became a democratic 'Euro Communist', was named Enrico Berlinguer.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enrico_Berlinguer

In spite of the utterly esoteric origin the name stuck.

And in case anybody thinks this is an 'Ahhh kids' thing my daughter was a 20yr old undergraduate at the time.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - B9 service info - sherlock47
This manual has not been available on line for quite some time. I guess that it could disappear at any time - so download your copy now. Thanks to the Berlingo Forum. www.berlingoforum.co.uk/thread-371.html

Here you can download service manual for B9 with DV6 engine. But with following conditions:

1.This manual is only for personal usage.
2. Do not show it to psa dealers or psa representatives

www.mediafire.com/?z91yqo1t9wnf1om

This archive contains .mht-files with all necessary information about B9, some tips and tricks, diagnostic codes, etc.

Download and unzip it to your HDD.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Tue 24 Feb 15 at 07:09
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - B9 service info - Bromptonaut
Thanks Sherlock!!
Disgraced itself again this week. Set off on Tuesday for a volunteers meeting at work. Aware from joining M1/J16 link road on that gear selection was getting awkward and by time I got to Franklin's Gardens I couldn't get any gear.

Recovered* to Indy who diagnosed clutch pressure plate as broken up taking fork and guide bush with it. £596.69 including £25 for the MoT it was already booked in for.

Ouch.

I'd expect a lot more than 3yrs/50k miles from a clutch and am kicking myself for not pushing point that previous one was noisy (squeaking release bearing) immediately after installation. It quietened down after 5k or so.

*Complaint winging its way to Britannia rescue over 90mins wait in urban street on ordinary weekday. How long on Bank Holiday on Wrynose Pass or even up a back jigger between here and Banbury?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 26 Mar 15 at 20:05
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - B9 service info - RichardW
Bad luck Bromp.... I'd only ever fit a Valeo or LUK clutch to ensure best life. Do you know what was fitted at the first replacement?
>> Bad luck Bromp.... I'd only ever fit a Valeo or LUK clutch to ensure best
>> life. Do you know what was fitted at the first replacement?

Valeo I think. Had some discussion with garage prop and his wife (who ran the office etc) at time but agreed to let the squeek settle down which it appeared to do. With new one now in place it's apparent that 2012 replacement was failing for some time - vibration etc - but hindsight's a wonderful tool.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - ....
Our experience is Citroën is crap.
The first car was fantastic, 45,000kms, no worries other than a loose crankshaft bolt.
The second car which was leased on the basis no problems and a lovely family car was a disaster. Broke down three times in three years, twice had to be recovered to the main dealers on the back of a trailer.
The last was the final straw for my wife, total gearbox failure which resulted in total hardware reflash in October last year. No confidence in the vehicle since then so not driven, Binned and replaced with a Toyota Auris estate hybrid.
>> Our experience is Citroën is crap.

YMMV. Two BX, Xantia and two Berlingos (plus a Pug 205) over last 25yrs.

Not perfect and the Xantia went through odd periods of being a workshop queen but I'd rather have a car with character.

Any Toyota (or Nissan) I have driven has suffered from the 'if it were a sandwich it'd be professed cheese on sliced white' syndrome.

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - CGNorwich
I must say that visiting La Palma I was struck how popular the Berlingo is there. I would say in fact that and its Peugeot relative were the most popular cars on the island. I guess they must be pretty reliable since the island is the steepest in the world and the roads are some of the bendiest I have driven on. Hard on brakes and clutches. You very seldom get above third gear.
Wow, I'd say someone took that on the chin.

What does YMMV mean ?

I didn't say Toyota was the be all and end all of motoring. But to launch an attack means someone knows somethign we don't.

P.S. I can share Toyoto is not motoring nirvana, I managed to kill the hybrid when switching from summer to winter tyres. Fact is, I could fix the Toyota on the drive way. The Citroën was toast. Nothing could shift it short of a low-loader back to the main dealer for 7 days work. Imagine that coming out of your own pocket.
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 28 Mar 15 at 22:25
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - CGNorwich
your mileage may vary
>> your mileage may vary
>>
From 0 to 1 in the case of Citroën
Wow, I'd say someone took that on the chin.

Call that touchy? Try Vauxhall (that's Opel to you - although they all take the badges off so you probably wouldn't know.)
};---)
Shhh! I worked on their ordering system a while ago in Rüsselsheim. Wouldn't want to say too much...
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - Gromit
I'll readily admit I have a soft spot for small Fiats - I think they have character, too, in a way that (say) a Yaris or Micra doesn't. I had two Renaults also, which I thought were very well designed but blighted by dreadful mechanical engineering and assembly.

But I'll also readily admit that, having had two Subarus and a Honda, there's no comparison between Japanese motor engineering and build quality and Fiat/Renault. Everything on the Japanese cars makes sense, serviceable parts are accessible, and it all shows the hallmark of being designed and built to best practice, not the cheapest way possible.

A Berlingo or Partner would fit the bill as our eventual FRV replacement perfectly, but I know that when it comes to it I'll need convincing not to go Japanese again.

(I've already accepted the car will be called Pat, and Gromit Jr already has the black and white toy cat to match...)
>>>But I'll also readily admit that, having had two Subarus and a Honda, there's no comparison between Japanese motor engineering and build quality and Fiat/Renault. Everything on the Japanese cars makes sense, serviceable parts are accessible, and it all shows the hallmark of being designed and built to best practice, not the cheapest way possible.

After two months in a Toyota I find small things which really surprise in a non-delight way.
1. The car will drive away itself with no one in the drivers seat. Switch the ignition on and select Park. Walk around to the passenger seat, climb in, knock the gearstick into drive and off we go. No need for pressure on the brake pedal, drivers seat belt plugged in nothing, it just goes.
2. Build quality: There's a plastic tray underneath the glovebox which has the integrity of a margarine container lid. It's flimsy, it's shiny, and it stays in place for less time than a Suzuki GSX-R 750 L1 wing mirror nut cover cap.
All this fanboy worship of Japanese quality has, quite frankly, got me stumped. First Japanese car and I just don't get the hero worship that I read on forums.
The door mirrors cannot be set to fold when the doors are locked. There's no auto-lights or auto-wipers. The rear view mirror does not auto-dip. My wife loves driving the car but I'm struggling to see where the money has gone. This is 20 year old hybrid tech.
>> First Japanese car and I just don't get the hero worship that I read on forums.
>> The door mirrors cannot be set to fold when the doors are locked. There's no
>> auto-lights or auto-wipers. The rear view mirror does not auto-dip. My wife loves driving the
>> car but I'm struggling to see where the money has gone.
>>

You must have a poverty spec one, my Yaris has all that except the mirror bit, and cruise control.
EDIT-

Folding mirror bit.
>> >> First Japanese car and I just don't get the hero worship that I read
>> on forums.
>> >> The door mirrors cannot be set to fold when the doors are locked. There's
>> no
>> >> auto-lights or auto-wipers. The rear view mirror does not auto-dip. My wife loves driving
>> the
>> >> car but I'm struggling to see where the money has gone.
>> >>
>>
>> You must have a poverty spec one, my Yaris has all that except the mirror
>> bit, and cruise control.
>>
It's the Edition Plus in Germany which is pretty similar to Icon plus in the UK, one down from top spec with most options with the exception of SatNav.

I had it detailed a couple of days ago. Toyota need to look at their distribution centre. Our car had quite a bit of paint contaminant (metal oxidised into the paintwork) and orange peel effect on the rear quarter panel. The aluminium roof bars are also showing signs of oxidisation on the drivers side after two months. It's going back in this week to get checked out as it failed to 'start' twice in the last two weeks. There are two known issues with the interior light going open circuit when it dims and the hazard warning light switch also known to cause a drain on the start up battery. I had to hook it up to a trickle charger for a couple of minutes to reset the battery into giving the Ready message to move off. OK when you're at home or have access to power, not so handy on a ferry.

It's a lease car, if it's reliable it will stay, if not it will be handed back and we'll move on to the next car.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - Gromit
I've never owned a Toyota, and only drive two (a Landcrusier and Hiace!)

I'd get it checked. You shouldn't be able to move any automatic out of park - or between drive, neutral and reverese - without having your foot on the brake. You can't in the Legacy, or the BMW I had before it.

The trim is a disappointment. On the Honda, the silver paint has worn off the centre of the H on the steering wheel and the opening lip on the centre console hatch. That's it at 90,000 miles/9 years. Nothing at all has worn, broken or squeaks in the Subaru's cabin at 105,000 miles/8 years. I'd be rather put out if it were otherwise...

Neither of mine does the auto-anything tricks like auto-folding mirrors, self-closing windows etc. either. But as I intend to run them into the ground, I'm happy to trade that off for the bits that are on them working well. And both designs on my driveway are more than 10 year old anyway.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - No FM2R
>>I'd get it checked. You shouldn't be able to move any automatic out of park - or between drive, neutral and reverese - without having your foot on the brake. You can't in the Legacy, or the BMW I had before it.

Ditto two Landcruisers and some other Japanese thing.
P, certainly, but my MB auto will let me move from R to N to D with only the parking brake applied. Don't know if it would work with no brakes at all; never tried.

YMMV... two Berlingos ... but I'd rather have a car with character.

Indeed, we've got the van version at work, not sure I'd say they had 'character'.

I think I'd more likely think them as

'if it were a
>> sandwich it'd be professed cheese on sliced white' syndrome.
>>
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - R.P.
Off to look at a 03 Berlingo tomorrow evening on behalf of a friend, looks like a bargain - we'll see,
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - legacylad
Why is it that whenever I see one I think of Postman Pat, no matter what the colour?
>> Why is it that whenever I see one I think of Postman Pat, no matter
>> what the colour?

Ha Ha. Mrs B's cousin had a Pug Partner in red. She got so many Postman Pat jokes that she bought a Jess the cat toy to live on the parcel shelf.
I've got to say that one of these has been pencilled in as a replacement for the Ka when that goes to meet its maker, Mrs RP fancies a new MX5 when they're launched so we may have to re-consider the mix of the fleet again !
You get a motorhome and a Berlingo and she gets a new MX5?

OooooKaaaaaayy...
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - Skip
>> You get a motorhome and a Berlingo and she gets a new MX5?
>>
>> OooooKaaaaaayy...
>>

And a scooter !
The Scoot's on borrowed time.
Scooter
Once of my least favoured characters in the Muppets
Went to look tonight. Superficially clean. No oil warning light at all. Took an age for the glow plug lights to go out, clutch was heavy with a definite step through its limited travel...ran away
>> Went to look tonight. Superficially clean. No oil warning light at all. Took an age
>> for the glow plug lights to go out, clutch was heavy with a definite step
>> through its limited travel...ran away

If it's a facelift model (bigger headlights etc) should show an oil level on startup, electronic dipstick showing 'blocks' or flashing cursors if low.

A 1.9IDI will have, by modern standards a long glow plug delay - the top end is very similar to the venerable XUD. On an HDi though they're almost subliminal.

Clutch is cable operated and cable in RHD versions goes 'all around the Wrekin' from pedal to bell housing but while not as light as a hydraulic unit it shouldn't 'step'. That and short travel are warnings!!
Thanks. I was looking at it for a friend whose broke and his car blew a turbo the other week. I don't want him buying a money pit.
A pal of mine bought his daughters 3yo Golf 2.0 Tdi yesterday. He has for sale his '03 307 Hdi 110 which he bought new. I think. Mileage around 75k I think. It's got 11 months MoT and he had a new belt fitted at MOT time because he did not want the new owner to have any problems. Think he wants £1400 for it.
Personally I know nothing of Pugs, apart from the fact I have never owned one. If interested on behalf of your friend, let me know.
Thanks. His problem is that he needs a big tall car as he has bad knees (!) and he also has a very large Standard Poodle ! I'll mention this to him tomorrow when I see him anyway !
Ok . My pal, aged 73, has good knees. And no dog. Although semi retired, he carries all his carpenters tools in the back. Funnily enough he told me he might have to decline some future work because he doesnt want the boot of his 'new' Golf collecting wood shavings.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - Avant
I can't have been keeping up: I thought Mrs RP still had an MX-5. Or maybe she now wants to replace it with the new model?

There's something about the look of the Berlingo that reminds me of the late 1940s Jowett Bradford. But most of you are too young to remember the Bradford - although as a Javelin owner Ted will know what I'm talking about!
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - Armel Coussine
>> Jowett Bradford. But most of you are too young to remember the Bradford - although as a Javelin owner Ted will know what I'm talking about!

I'm not. Got lifts in a few Bradfords in my hitching days, and came to like them a lot. Roomy, economical and a nice water-cooled flat twin engine (never mind the hardboard body panels, easy to repair).

Never owned one although I owned two flat-twin Citroens, both air cooled of course. Horizontally opposed engines are smooth, unburstable and frugal, especially with mingy little carburettors.

Bradford would be a bit prole for Ted with his multi-cylinder limo...
...most of you are too young...

Priceless. Made my morning.
}:---)
>> Got lifts in a few Bradfords in my hitching days, and came to like them a lot.

One of them, I now remember, started firing on only one cylinder. That really did make it slow.

The driver pulled onto the verge, jumped out and freed the stuck valve that was causing the misfire. I seem to remember that the valve stems and springs were exposed, so it only took him a couple of minutes.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - Ted

I had a 1948 Bradford van...swapped it for a 1953 Bradford prototype which never went into production. All steel body, separate chassis and nothing in common with the earlier ones.

I owned it in the mid to late 70s and passed it on to another club member. It is the only one in the UK. A few in Oz and NZ. Only a dozen or so made...most exported. The UK one is an estate car.

www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/jowett_cd.htm

The earlier Bradfords had aluminium bodies...never hardboard. The valves were external but had easily removable covers.

www.flickr.com/photos/65918877@N00/7746633792/
>> www.flickr.com/photos/65918877@N00/7746633792/

Some nice pix there Ted, but no close-up of a Jowett flat twin. I'll take your word for the aluminium panels although what I remember was something more like cardboard.

I just remember the new Bradford from the time, but never saw one on the road. Hardly surprising if they only made a couple of dozen of them... of course the Javelin and Jupiter were doing well at the time, although not as well as they deserved (despite whippy two-bearing crankshaft - I think - which was a weak point).

Look after yours. Haven't seen one for ages.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 31 Mar 15 at 00:34
MX5 went in lieu of the Volvo V50 - she sold that and we have the V40 and the Ka now.
Ka is for Sale. Being replaced with a MINI Countryvan...(note van not man). Mrs RP picked it up today. Very few and far between, not made anymore. Most are white the one's she's got is black. Fully specc'd up sans a rear seat.
Sort of a Black Maria for, well, small people?
:-Q
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 150k Mile Report - Auntie Lockbrakes
Back to the OP... it's at this age and mileage when I chicken out of running an older car and look to trade-in. I get nervous that this is the start of a series of unexpected repair bills!

Many motorists' biggest fear is to be stranded at the side of the road, I am sure!
Latest Forum Posts