Motoring Discussion > VOSA- Fail. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 15

VOSA- Fail. - R.P.
Bike in today for its MoT - a week early but I may need intent week. Arrived at the test centre early- bike was taken from me...call back in an hour. Off to Tesco for dreadful coffee..

Went back MoT not done unable to link to the VOSA computer. No real problem for me apart for a twenty mile round trip and a salt caked bike. Bike now booked in for next week. What would be the position if I'd booked in an untested bike and had to ride home...RTA doesn't cover that eventuality...
 VOSA- Fail. - sooty123
I think the police would be reasonable with you, that's not a great deal you could do to stay legal if your test ran out.
 VOSA- Fail. - Clk Sec
If I found myself in that situation, I would be asking the test centre staff to provide me with a note stating that they were unable to link to the VOSA computer and, therefore, unable to carry out the MOT that had been booked with them in advance.

Could be a lot of faff if you were stopped, but you might find a sympathetic ear.
 VOSA- Fail. - sherlock47
I thought that there was a protocol for the garage to conduct the test when the system was 'down.' Do a full test and put in the results retrospectively.

Do we have a MoT tester on here now?

The police will have not have the opportunity to extend a sympathetic ear when fixed ANPR issues and auto ticket :(
 VOSA- Fail. - Fullchat
Exemption to, from and whilst under road test. If it had, say a bald tyre, there would be no exemption from prosecution at any stage.
 VOSA- Fail. - sherlock47
Took some finding, and possibly out of date now?

MOT Computerisation
Contingency Procedures

can be found in Section N of www.mottesters.co.uk/images/special_notices/tg_int.pdf

and

www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/tgs0n000101.htm - this is undated but from the gov.uk site!
 VOSA- Fail. - Harleyman
I've just spoken to a close friend who's a bike tester.

In this scenario, he would carry out the test and issue a certificate manually; the documentation is provided for emergencies of this type. Once the test has been done, the owner may go on his way with a copy of the certificate.

Once the system is back up and running, the testing station must input the details and notify the owner who must then return to the testing station to exchange the manual certificate for a computer-printed one. This has to be done within a timescale; my friend could not remember exactly what this was but did say that if it's not done ASAP he, as the tester, would get his knuckles rapped.

The normal criteria for riding to the testing station (and back, in the event of a fail) would still apply.
 VOSA- Fail. - R.P.
Thanks HM, I'm booked in with the same workshop next week - I'll ask them whilst I'm waiting. It's not my usual place, maybe I should have gone there in retrospect. At least there the staff turn up for work on bikes and look like bikers not photocopy repair men ! (no offence to photocopy repair men, but they were very clean and tidy !)
 VOSA- Fail. - Zero

>> bikers not photocopy repair men ! (no offence to photocopy repair men, but they were
>> very clean and tidy !)

You have clearly not been up to you armpits in toner then.
 VOSA- Fail. - R.P.
I mean pre-toner immersion !
 VOSA- Fail. - Old Navy
I once viewed an industrial unit that was availiable for rent. It had been used for toner cartridge refilling, it was the ultimate black hole. I don't think it would ever be clean again.
 VOSA- Fail. - R.P.
Passed today - "jocked" with the sales chap that this should be a freebie...no chance.
 VOSA- Fail. - Runfer D'Hills
Scottish was he?

;-)
 VOSA- Fail. - R.P.
b***** auto spell on this thing ! He was so boringly bland he could have been from any nation. He reminded me of the muppet scientist. Another dealer I won't be darkening their door. Seems bike dealers are going the same way as car-dealers...
 VOSA- Fail. - Cliff Pope
>> Scottish was he?
>>
>> ;-)
>>

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/jock

Look at Etymology 3 :)
 VOSA- Fail. - Runfer D'Hills
Blimey, I sincerely hope he wasn't doing "that" in the Testing station !

;-))
Latest Forum Posts