Motoring Discussion > What to do? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 71

What to do? - Runfer D'Hills
My wife's Qashqai is going in for an MOT shortly. I'll be astonished if it doesn't pass. She hasn't used it much at all this year due to health problems ( thankfully improving slowly ) and any times I've driven it I can't detect any problems. It's in very good condition despite her best efforts to cure that and has only done 45,000 miles. It'll be 7 years old in March and we bought when it was 2 years old. It's a 1.6 petrol manual, gives good, or at least reasonable economy and has proven mechanically sound.

She likes it very much and while, like anyone, she'd not object to a new car, she freely admits it'd almost certainly be something similar or indeed the same she'd end up choosing.

We could afford to update it but the dilemma is really why to bother. It does everything she wants it to and we no longer feel all that precious about it as the cost of buying it has long been forgotten in the household finances.

What would you do. Stick or twist?
 What to do? - Skip
Given all that you have said above I would say stick.

If it starts to give trouble then move it on quick before you start spending any dosh on it.
 What to do? - Fullchat
We all like getting new or newer cars. But it really is a mugs game. If you are in the new car market you are throwing away 20% VAT every time you drive off the forecourt.
If you are really not that bothered about changing, the vehicle is costing you and owes you nothing then hang on to it. Get it through an MOT first and then see how you feel. You have nothing to loose.
 What to do? - Zero

>> She likes it very much and while, like anyone, she'd not object to a new
>> car, she freely admits it'd almost certainly be something similar or indeed the same she'd
>> end up choosing.

I don't see why you posted a question about it. You already have the answer.
 What to do? - legacylad
Twist
Treat her to a nice new Macan. Ex demo if you must.
Only I don't think you can get one with a 1.6 petrol engine. I might take it off your hands in a few years when I get fed up with the GTI
I was thinking more along the lines of a Panda. We could get 4.5 of them for the price of a Macan.

;-)
 What to do? - Old Navy

>> Treat her to a nice new Macan. Ex demo if you must.
>>

I didn't know your name was Barbie. :)

tinyurl.com/kegqq79
 What to do? - Manatee
>> Twist
>> Treat her to a nice new Macan. Ex demo if you must.

I haven't looked, but I think you might struggle for a bargain on one of those. A friend of mine ordered one in I think September, and it won't be delivered until May.

On the other hand, the residuals should be good!
 What to do? - Avant
Take her for a test drive in a Panda: the moment of truth is how she feels when she gets back in the Cashcow.

The Panda is as good as any when it comes to superminis, so that'll give her an idea of whether 'small and nippy' is better then 'higher up and easier to get in and out of'.
 What to do? - Robin O'Reliant
Stick.

You've got a known quantity, it owes you nothing and aside from the obvious running costs you're motoring for free. As she is not hankering after change for changes sake why risk the expense of "Upgrading" and possibly ending up with a money pit? Be different if she fancied a total change of vehicle style, but otherwise...
 What to do? - RattleandSmoke
The Panda is high up anyway, not possibly as high up as a Nissan Quasasksksksi thing but very easy to get into than most cars. I have a lot less back problems since getting the Panda five years ago.

Personally though I would just keep the Nissan, and spend the money you save on a good holiday if your wife is up to it. At 7 years it is getting to the age where things may start going wrong but you will have a much better idea after the MOT and hopefully service.
I'm still trying to work out what to do with half a Panda.
After some discussion, apparently a whole Fiat 500 might be acceptable.
 What to do? - Zero
you can't put bikes on the roof of a fiat 500. you can't fit a muddy dog in the boot of a 500.
 What to do? - Crankcase
The fact you've even asked the question means you've already decided it's time for a new toy. The longer you leave it the more it will eat at you like a canker, waking you in the dark watches, sweat forming on your brow at inconvenient moments, stomach churning as you go about your daily business.

Why put yourself through all that when you know what the end result will be anyway? You could have a new something on your drive by this time next week and have all the longer to enjoy that, before going through it all again only too soon.

Just saying.

>> After some discussion, apparently a whole Fiat 500 might be acceptable.
>>

Minus a mirror or two, of course...

;-)
 What to do? - Cliff Pope
You must have money to burn. Why on earth get rid of a car that works perfectly and does everything you want, in order to spend a lot of depreciation on another car?
 What to do? - Clk Sec
>> Why on earth get rid of a car that works perfectly and does everything you want, in order to spend a lot of depreciation on another car?

Could it be tarnishing the image. I mean, parking a seven year old SUV next to an LEC, and a MB LEC at that - well, it just doesn't seem right, does it?
;-)
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sat 21 Feb 15 at 15:45
 What to do? - WillDeBeest
Shouldn't be a problem in Cheshire, CLK; the electric gates ought to keep out any prying proletarian eyes.
 What to do? - sooty123
>> You must have money to burn. Why on earth get rid of a car that
>> works perfectly and does everything you want, in order to spend a lot of depreciation
>> on another car?
>>

Not at RDH, but some people like new things and are happy to pay the price to get it. One bloke I worked with changed cars often, in the 3 years I worked with him I think he went through about 12 maybe 15 cars. He wasn't on a mega wage, maybe £30k, not even remotely bothered about how much it all cost him. He just liked cars and driving lots of different ones.
The bikes and dog are quite well catered for by the large estate car or whatever succeeds it. However, a 500 would in due course, be an ideal car for my son to learn on in a couple of years time when of the novelty of it to his mother had worn off...

And they are significantly narrower than Qashqais. Which might in the long term, prove an added bonus.

Dunno. Just musing really.
 What to do? - Bromptonaut
>> However, a 500 would in due course, be an ideal car for
>> my son to learn on in a couple of years time when of the novelty
>> of it to his mother had worn off...

Is there any real advantage to your son in learning in a 500 rather than a by the two years older Cashcow? While the larger vehicle can be mildly intimidating at first it's a leap that needs to be made sooner or later.
Look, I'm trying to justify this here. You're not helping.

;-)

( I learned in a Volvo 240 by the way )
 What to do? - Zero
>> Look, I'm trying to justify this here. You're not helping.
>>
>> ;-)

The only justification to change you need.

www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=3407765

www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=5061800
Ha ha !
 What to do? - Armel Coussine
Expensive things they are, with Heath Robinson mechanisms.

Who was that IoM rally driver who rattled both door mirrors against terrifying stone walls during his eye-popping circuit? Paddy Hopkirk? No, not him, foreign cat, but someone like that.
 What to do? - WillDeBeest
That reminds me of someone who was part of the same graduate intake as me many years ago. Within six months of starting he had a new Ford XR-something, a 'starter home' (remember them? This was the very end of the 80s property bubble) an expensive wedding to an expensive wife and - believe it or not - a St Bernard. All on borrowed money, of course.

It didn't end well: the expensive wife ran off with a fitness coach, he couldn't make the payments on car or houselet and he ended up doing a runner to the Middle East to try to leave it behind. I don't know what became of the dog. But he seems to have survived; I just found him on LinkedIn, with some recommendations that suggest he sorted himself out and became more useful than he was when I knew him.
 What to do? - Mike H
>> You must have money to burn. Why on earth get rid of a car that
>> works perfectly and does everything you want, in order to spend a lot of depreciation
>> on another car?
>>
+1. By a strange coincidence I was pondering earlier today why anyone would want to replace a perfectly good car if it was still running well and needing no money spent on it other than the regular stuff you'd spend on any car. Heart might say yes, but the head decision in this case has surely got to be a clear "no".
 What to do? - CGNorwich
"By a strange coincidence I was pondering earlier today why anyone would want to replace a perfectly good car if it was still running well and needing no money spent on it other than the regular stuff you'd spend on any car. Heart might say yes, but the head decision in this case has surely got to be a clear "no" ".

If you adopt that philosophy we'd all be running around in fifteen year old cars, wearing patched up cardigans and never going out for a meal or to the pub because its cheaper to cook it yourself or buy a few cans of beer.

Money is for spending. If you can't afford something that's different but if you want a new car and can afford it then you should get it. No point in trying to make an economic argument for everything you do in life. Might be dead tomorrow. And it is a motoring forum, not a good housekeeping site. ;-)
 What to do? - spamcan61
>>
>> If you adopt that philosophy we'd all be running around in fifteen year old cars,
>> wearing patched up cardigans and never going out for a meal or to the pub
>> because its cheaper to cook it yourself or buy a few cans of beer.
>>
Alternative viewpoint: not peeing away money on pointless car changes leaves more money to spend down the pub / on holiday etc.
 What to do? - Mike H
>> If you adopt that philosophy we'd all be running around in fifteen year old cars,
>> wearing patched up cardigans and never going out for a meal or to the pub
>> because its cheaper to cook it yourself or buy a few cans of beer.
>>

But a car purchase is on a slightly different scale of expenditure - in fact, I'd rather have an old banger, releasing cash for more of the luxuries of life, like holidays, meals out etc.

>> Money is for spending. If you can't afford something that's different but if you want
>> a new car and can afford it then you should get it. No point in
>> trying to make an economic argument for everything you do in life. Might be dead
>> tomorrow. And it is a motoring forum, not a good housekeeping site. ;-)
>>

He he, well, I'm running an "old banger" which is 11.5 years old, has covered 223,000 miles and has pretty much full depreciated (although webuyany car has kindly offered me £149 less a £50 transaction fee). But it has character, space, comfort, performance and plenty of driving pleasure. And I'm not sure whether I'm feeling smug because it's costing less to run than a small family hatchback, or just consoling myself with those thoughts because I can't honestly afford another car atm. Unfortunately I've nearly always been in the position of changing cars from necessity, not just on a whim, for financial reasons. Why? Because over the years I've prioritised spending on holidays and other luxuries rather than cars.

So I'm actually agreeing that money is for spending - but for me, not on cars. Seems to be getting worse as I'm getting older :-(
 What to do? - sooty123
> Money is for spending. If you can't afford something that's different but if you want
>> a new car and can afford it then you should get it. No point in
>> trying to make an economic argument for everything you do in life. Might be dead
>> tomorrow. And it is a motoring forum, not a good housekeeping site. ;-)
>>

Some people just aren't wired that way. I know of someone who got a good job in the pub sector retired on a very good pension. He also got 250k inheiretance, never touches either of them. He started working part time then ended up doing 7 days a week until he was nearly 70. He still work several days a week as does the wife who got sent out to work part time as well. Goes years without a holiday, just for run of the mill cars are all run into the ground. God knows how much they have in the bank, £500k probably.
 What to do? - Cliff Pope

>>
>>

I've never had a car that was that young. My three are 23, 47 and 48.
I'd no more spend money on a depreciating car than on a house.
 What to do? - Zero

>> I've never had a car that was that young. My three are 23, 47 and
>> 48.
>> I'd no more spend money on a depreciating car than on a house.

Accept of course, a house does not depreciate.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 23 Feb 15 at 01:07
 What to do? - swiss tony
>> Accept of course, a house does not depreciate.
>>

Should that not be Except?

I accept it may have been typed in a hurry...
;-)
 What to do? - Zero

>> I accept it may have been typed in a hurry...
>> ;-)

But you accept that a house does not depreciate?
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 23 Feb 15 at 01:07
 What to do? - swiss tony
> But you accept that a house does not depreciate?
>>

No I don't.
Most houses will of course go up in value, however, if built on a cliff for instance it can go down.
Both in value, and the cliff!

There are other times property values lower, ie if not maintained.
Last edited by: swiss tony on Sun 22 Feb 15 at 13:11
 What to do? - CGNorwich

>> I've never had a car that was that young. My three are 23, 47 and
>> 48.
>> I'd no more spend money on a depreciating car than on a house.
>>

Well that's what you want to do. Others prefer newer reliable vehicles and I don't really understand why there is this big hang up with the fact that cars depreciate in value over thier working life. In actual fact cars are one of the few modern things that have much of a secondhand value apart from houses. Tried selling an old carpet, computer or TV?

What to do? - Victorbox
Stick! I was convinced my 9 year old and 127,000 mile Zafira would fail its MOT at the beginning of this month, but it sailed through a main dealer service and MOT without comment.
I know, it's difficult isn't it? We both ( as in my current wife and I ) have something of a habit of buying new or relatively new cars suited to our needs and just running them into the ground. Or at least in more recent years we have. I've wasted so much money on cars in my youth by buying things way beyond my needs and changing them often. I don't regret that awfully much in truth as I enjoyed some of them very much but as the years advance I become more inert about such things. It's quite hard buying cars. You have to talk to the sort of people who sell cars for a start. Not that they're all bad I suppose.
 What to do? - No FM2R
Just make sure that any decision is regarded and remembered as *her* decision.

Otherwise it tends not to go well.

For a long time.

Even after you've got rid of the "wrong" car and purchased an "approved" car.

One tends to be invited to regret and apologise repeatedly over the years and to accept it as irrefutable proof that she knows better. Or at least that you don't.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 21 Feb 15 at 18:22
I've just been informed that Jukes are nice. Who would have thought it? White ones especially apparently.
 What to do? - Zero
Ok, now I happen to know that you admire Jukes, and as it happens small Fiats.

Out of the closet you. this is for you!
I'll have you know that I/we owned a "Sergio Tachini" Mk 1 Panda !

Lime green seats you know.

Kinda cool.

A bit.

Ok, not very.
 What to do? - PeterS
www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C573737 ??

Keep the Nissan and RDH junior can relive your youth in a Panda ;-)
Last edited by: PeterS on Sat 21 Feb 15 at 18:39
I have a suspicion he might not see it quite that way...

;-)
 What to do? - PeterS
I'm tempted to buy it myself! My first car was a Fiat Uno, in that exact shade of red as far as I can see :)
 What to do? - legacylad
Jukes? As in their Dodge Charger? Very left field but go for it. Not sure about the paint job though in Cheshire.
 What to do? - Bill Payer
>> I've just been informed that Jukes are nice.
>>

Wait a bit for the forthcoming Honda HR-V.
Oh ok, will research, thanks.
 What to do? - Manatee
>> Oh ok, will research, thanks.

Are you just not rising, or did that go over your head?

The HRV was always referred to by the dealers as the "HRT".

Not that it would stop me if I wanted one. I quite enjoy driving the Roomster.
 What to do? - R.P.
I quite enjoy driving the Roomster.

We stopped by the local Skoda dealer today to look at Yetis --- glad to see that the quirky Roomie was still in production and a nice black example graced their forecourt with pretty black alloys to boot. I wouldn't buy another mainly for emotional reasons but would highly recommend them. There was a very pretty little Yeti there with the 1.8TSI engine - 160bhp...
Ur ye gunna?
 What to do? - Zero
>> I quite enjoy driving the Roomster.
>>
>>
>> We stopped by the local Skoda dealer today to look at Yetis --- glad to
>> see that the quirky Roomie was still in production and a nice black example graced
>> their forecourt with pretty black alloys to boot. I wouldn't buy another mainly for emotional
>> reasons but would highly recommend them. There was a very pretty little Yeti there with
>> the 1.8TSI engine - 160bhp...

When I sit down and analyse my actual future motoring needs and requirements (as apposed to wants) the Vroomster ticks each and every box. I don't need a car that looks good, but I don't want a car that looks that bad!
 What to do? - R.P.
Black one with privacy glass looked fine as did my old Scout..

www.lightcliffe.co.uk/skoda/Used-Car-Details/used-skoda-roomster-12-tsi-105bhp-black-edition-mpv-black-magic-pearl-effect-metallic-manual-petrol-ID_549604729002.aspx?COGManufacturer=Skoda&COGModel=Roomster

Nice to see petrol cars making a comeback
Actually that looks ok Rob. Funny how colours can make a huge difference. The wee Panda I had this week was black. I grew very attached to it. One of my MTB pals has one ( a new Panda that is ) and uses it as bike transport with roof kit. The bikes cost him more than the car ! ( he is a bit bonkers )
 What to do? - R.P.
By the way the Volvo is here to stay..!
 What to do? - sooty123
I don't need a car that
>> looks good, but I don't want a car that looks that bad!
>>

Like say a Lancer ;-)

Seriously, I know someone with one. The looks will grow on you, very practical inside. If your in the market for something similar you could do alot worse.
 What to do? - R.P.
Agreed Sooty...When I had mine it was partnered with a then new Golf GTi. Perfect equilibrium..
 What to do? - Old Navy
Disposable income is for spending, all this head or heart stuff is a load of rubbish. That is for people who live on credit.
We never borrow money to buy cars.
 What to do? - Old Navy
Good move, nor do we. Cars or anything else, if you have to borrow to buy it you can't afford it.
>> Good move, nor do we. Cars or anything else, if you have to borrow to
>> buy it you can't afford it.
>>
I wouldn't own a house if I thought like that.
 What to do? - Old Navy
I was going to give a house as an exception, but some people get in over their heads with a big mortgage. When I bought my first house it was a three X one income maximum loan and we thought that was tough, but interest rates were in double digits.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 21 Feb 15 at 19:26
 What to do? - Zero
Nor would ON.
 What to do? - Old Navy
But ON retired early, mortgage and debt free. :))))
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 21 Feb 15 at 19:28
There's good debt and there's bad debt. Debt you can comfortably afford to repay is no problem, it's when you stretch your finances to the maximum that you can put yourself into trouble.
Show a bit of class chaps. Aren't there supposed to be furious bailiffs at one's funeral, trying vainly to extort money from bewildered, broke legatees without raising their voices or resorting to actual violence? That's what mine will be like barring miracles.

Herself says I have a tendency to glamorize myself. But who - however brilliant - could exaggerate the glamour of one such as your humble servant? It would take true genius which alas is in declining supply in today's world.
 What to do? - CGNorwich
To die without unmaxed out credit cards show a singular lack of imagination and forethought
 What to do? - Zero
>> To die without unmaxed out credit cards show a singular lack of imagination and forethought

Make sure they are no joint credit cards.
>> a singular lack of imagination and forethought

But also, remember, a singular lack of consideration for heirs who may find themselves in negative credit and being harassed for the bread up front right now in me'and squire or else,,, by chancers willing or eager to pursue bad debt hopelessly into the grave, with everyone running like rabbits...

Heh heh. You godda larf inch'a...
 What to do? - Zero
>> But ON retired early, mortgage and debt free. :))))

You are not the only one. But to get there I had to borrow and pay back along the way, as did you.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 21 Feb 15 at 20:13
Latest Forum Posts