Motoring Discussion > Van advice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 6

Van advice - BobbyG
Long story short, our charity collects used furniture to sell in our shops and currently has the use of two box Luton vans, one is VW based and not sure the other.

Thinking of getting our own van - is the "Luton box" still the way to go for furniture removals or are there different , more practical options available now. With Lutons you kind of need a taillift of some sort which adds weight, complexity, servicing etc not to mention the fact that everything is getting lifted up.

Now see more and more vans that seem to have decent heights but from ground level as opposed to a box on top of the chassis. I would guess one downside would be this must give some sort of wheelarch intrusion but might not be an issue with us.

The plus side of the Luton is it is big enough to allow us to do a few collections at once due to the size but the reality maybe is that we don't actually do that too often.

Any thoughts?
 Van advice - Harleyman
High-top front wheel drive LWB van like a Fiat Ducato, Citroen C25 would do you fine. They've all got single-wheel rear axles these days so wheelarch intrusion isn't the problem it used to be. Set of ramps and a sack trolley and you'll easily get the heaviest washing machine in the back; which I'd presume is about the most difficult thing you'd handle usually.

One other advantage of not having a tail-lift is that you can't injure yourself with it, either by falling off it or trapping fingers. Advantage of not having the Luton body is you're less likely to biff it if you forget it's there. I'd also suggest that it might work out cheaper for you too; don't see nearly as many Luton vans for sale these days, mostly for the reasons I've mentioned.
 Van advice - BobbyG
Cheers Harley - probably carry a lot more furniture than white goods - so talking 3 piece suites, wardrobes, tables and chairs etc.

I know in the Luton the guys will sometimes stack a suite on its side to make the most of the space but I am guessing a Luton must have about 8 feet or so usable height?

Not sure what the usable height of the high tops are and whether there would be enough usable floor space to, say, load up a 3 piece suite, table and six chairs, maybe a double bed and mattress all at the one time?
 Van advice - BobbyG
vans.autotrader.co.uk/used-vans/renault/master/2011-renault-master-big-volume-24m3-14ft-9in-4-5m-maxi-mover-lo-loader-low-floor-luton-box-van-diesel-lincoln-vfpa-8ad788df4b278042014b2a92367b5e8d

Something like this would be ideal but very pricey!

Van advice - Harleyman
>> Not sure what the usable height of the high tops are and whether there would
>> be enough usable floor space to, say, load up a 3 piece suite, table and
>> six chairs, maybe a double bed and mattress all at the one time?
>>

Should be easy; you need full-height barn-type doors which most of this type should already have. Most are well above 6 foot high, so you can load a bed on its end easily. If the floor isn't boarded out, use decent plywood, not that MDF rubbish, and do it, reduces damage. You can do the same with the sides but this reduces the load space. Make sure you don't mask any usable lashing points on the sides, you'll need them.

Back in my younger (and fitter) days, I used to do a fair bit of agency driving work for a rather up-market furnisher in Nottingham, and in that game you quickly learn how to load a van right. Here's how you do it; bed base and mattress go in first, on their ends, covered with blankets (the old army type are best) and tied to the side; settee next on t'other side, right side up with the two armchairs upside down on top of it. Six chairs doubled down the middle, table in last; should be plenty of space for it if the bed's stowed upright. If you're shifting dressing tables, ALWAYS remove the mirror for obvious reasons.

Get some decent webbing to lash the stuff in; speak to your local friendly removals man and find out where he gets his from, probably an upholstery supplier. Another tip; if he's willing, ask him for advice on how to shift suites etc without damaging the furniture, the house it's in or yourself. There's a lot more to it than you think.

Some of you might think this is stating the blooming obvious but I've seen folk try to do their own removals without previous experience, and the results can be depressingly predictable.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Mon 23 Feb 15 at 21:02
 Van advice - legacylad
I had a LWB HiRoof VW Transporter. Bought as an ex demo on P reg, ran faultlessly with its old school 2.4 5cyl engine until I sold the business ten years later. Used as a mobile warehouse, fully loaded with parrot cages, rabbit hutches, 6ft tall bird tables. Sold within hours of advertising it so the odds of finding one are slim to nil. No idea on the reliability of newer models.
 Van advice - Ted

For ratchet straps look at the website of The Ratchet Shop. I have some of the small ratchets which are quite long and have a 800KG breaking capacity.

I use them for lifting my flat four engines onto the bench for working on. They'll be fine for lashing furniture. I have the black endless ones but the ones with the hooks may be better for your work. They cost bobbins...cheaper than rope !

www.theratchetshop.com/ratchet-straps/mini-ratchets/800kg-ratchet-straps.html
Latest Forum Posts