Motoring Discussion > Cheap device opens locked cars Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 8

Cheap device opens locked cars - Crankcase
Ok, usual source (poorly written I'm afraid). But if it's true, it won't be just in Cambridge, that's for sure.

Any reports of similar near you? Or is this just a bit of misunderstanding somewhere? Can it really be this easy?

www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Fobs-robbers-new-hi-tech-car-crime-spree-hits/story-26076738-detail/story.html

If it is true, then other than a camera on the inside of the vehicle producing some crappy footage of a man in a mask that gets thrown out in court anyway, I don't know what you could do.
 Cheap device opens locked cars - WillDeBeest
Perhaps Cambridge's car thieves are smarter than the national average.
};---)
 Cheap device opens locked cars - Zero
The article is mostly cobblers.

The "emp" device is a mini tesla coil, said to provide enough energy to activate the solenoid on the cars locking. A car is a natural faraday cage - a structure so designed to prevent EMI getting through.

They don't work.

The blocker is probably the thing at work here, which is just hacking based on social engineering. We are now programmed to walk away turning our backs flipping a button in our pockets, most cars don't even bleep when locked now.

I remember when remote locking first came about, one would stand by the car, look at it, press the button, lights would flash, beeps would emit and you would then check the door handle to make sure its locked. We are so conditioned to assume the car is locked when the button is pressed that the blocker is a sure fire way of getting into your car.
 Cheap device opens locked cars - madf
I have a far simpler device which will open any car.

It's a 7lb hammer...
Last edited by: madf on Wed 25 Feb 15 at 09:25
 Cheap device opens locked cars - VxFan
>> I have a far simpler device which will open any car.
>>
>> It's a 7lb hammer...

Bet it won't work on these.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1389825/Obamas-Beast-Cadillac-flown-US-London-drive-Mall.html
impeccablegentleman.com/cars/2014/8/5/mercedes-s-guard-the-bombproof-merc
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 25 Feb 15 at 10:33
 Cheap device opens locked cars - Fullchat
I have something more subtle - a spring loaded center punch :)
 Cheap device opens locked cars - Zero
>> I have something more subtle - a spring loaded center punch :)

Good evening young sir, what you doing out and about at this time of night, lets do a quick search.

Spring loaded centre punch? you have a reasonable excuse for such a thing in your pocket young sir?

going equipped is it?
 Cheap device opens locked cars - Crankcase
Thanks Zero - useful to know about the emp thing.

This is assuming that I value your advice more than the local reporter of course. Let me see....
 Cheap device opens locked cars - Mapmaker
It's mostly just an ad for Tracker, isn't it?

(As plausible as the viral story about B&Q and 50 shades of rope.)
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Wed 25 Feb 15 at 10:50
Latest Forum Posts