Motoring Discussion > Mercedes Benz SLK - Love it. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 30

Mercedes Benz SLK - Love it. - R.P.
Our Solicitor at the office has just bought one. Had a sit in it this morning and will have to wait for a drive. Lovely car. I love the "air scarf" feature and the superbly tactile switchgear....it's a diesel...I almost want one.
 Mercedes Benz SLK - Love it. - Runfer D'Hills
Check out the "sniff petrol" review Rob. Qute funny.

I like them by the way. I've only had 3 Mercs in my life but I'm beginning to think this one won't be my last. Something about them.
 Mercedes Benz SLK - Love it. - Zero

>> I'm beginning to think this one won't be my last. Something about them.

Men of a certain age. National Trust and Tartan blanket next i think.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 25 Feb 15 at 19:41
Thought you had to have something Japanese for that? Or is it Swedish, I'm never sure?
 Mercedes Benz SLK - Love it. - legacylad
Friends of mine had his n hers SLKs. She recently part exd hers for a VW Tiguan/Touran. He has recently retired and fancies a change, it s just over 3 yo, so it will be going soon. It's the Kompressor version.
If interested, let me know
Another friend of mine has an SL350. That is several leagues better than the SLK.
 Mercedes Benz SLK - Love it. - Armel Coussine
Yes, it's a pretty thing, but I agree with legacy's buddy: pretty is one thing, oomph is another. The V8 can't be too big for me, en principe, but one would have to try the different versions. If one had tens of thousands of pounds to toss around like ON in Union Street on Friday night.
 Mercedes Benz SLK - Love it. - Old Navy
>> If one had tens of thousands of pounds
>> to toss around like ON in Union Street on Friday night.
>>

I'm not sure where Union street is unless you mean the one in Aberdeen. I don't think I spent a total of more than a couple of weeks in Plymouth during my time in the RN.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 25 Feb 15 at 20:30
>> I'm not sure where Union street is unless you mean the one in Aberdeen. I don't think I spent a total of more than a couple of weeks in Plymouth during my time in the RN.

I meant the one in Plymouth. Sorry ON, we've been here before I think.

When I was at school there we were fascinated by Union Street because of the 'available women' who went there for the sailors. I have to say that they didn't look winsome to me, hard-bitten more like. But I was only 15, not a matelot just ashore after six months at sea in the Persian Gulf or wherever...
 Mercedes Benz SLK - Love it. - Old Navy
You didn't attend the "Grab a granny" functions then. :)
>> You didn't attend the "Grab a granny" functions then. :)

No one told me about those, but they weren't my sort of thing in those days. I think BBD would be keen though.

Actually Herself is a grandmother, just as I myself am a faffing old git these days. On the whole she carries it off better than I do. Still winsome. Washing her hair at this very moment.
 Mercedes Benz SLK - Love it. - commerdriver
I assumed for you, Naval / Scottish he was referring to the one in Glasgow
 Mercedes Benz SLK - Love it. - WillDeBeest
I've only done stationary test drives on either, but the SLK (a diesel) seemed tacky, while - as LL says - the SL350 is magnificent. It had me storming up to the Col du Tourmalet, as we did, in our more stately MB, in 2013.

One day. Don't fancy the SLK, although I expect it's nicer once it's moving.
 Mercedes Benz SLK - Love it. - Bill Payer
>> Our Solicitor at the office has just bought one.

I know you probably used "bought" in a general sense, but loads of these are leased at what seem like pretty good deals - they were going for around £200/mth.
How much would one reasonably expect to be paid for soliciting these days?

;-)
I will write you a cheque for £100 if you find a buyer for my 330, at a mutually agreeable price. And two tins of Kiwi polish.
Bought that Macan yet? Or do you still have a Panda fixation?
 Mercedes Benz SLK - Love it. - henry k
My son had a 350, the previous shape, for a few years. In addition to the air scarf/ heated steering wheel it had ALL the extras (about £10K ) except the AMG nose, AMG wheels and bespoke luggage.
It came without the phone or iPod connections. Strange priorities.
I enjoyed driving it but was not brave enough to exploit its power and handling.
Certainly well put together. It was a good buy and we thought it was well under priced. Not what I would describe as a hairdressers car. I too loved it.
It is now sold and I am not insured on his V8 M3 so my options are my X Type or a Y2000 1.3 Yaris.
My pal with the SL 350 has a 51plate 3.0 petrol X type as his daily runner. I think that is a V6 as well
He has irons in many fires. He chopped his 63 reg Mini for it. He will have paid cash. He knows how I think though....when I was drooling over it he told me that he was only after a new Sat Nav when he got it..
 Mercedes Benz SLK - Love it. - henry k
>> My pal .. has a 51plate 3.0 petrol X type as his daily runner.
>> I think that is a V6 as well
>>
Yes a V6 with a bit more grunt than my 2.5 V6 AWD
Will his 51plate 3.0 petrol X drive be AWD then?
Too lazy to investigate at the moment! Just curious. It's probably worth peanuts.
It will be 4WD LL, thirstier than Lud but a sweet enough drive. An estate would skip around the Dales well enough with olds on board. Cheap too now.

I don't need a Panda, but I'd quite like one. Not sure what I'd do with it mind. Teach son to drive in a couple of years time maybe.

I went to Inverness on Monday and came back yesterday. The E was far better on a snow covered A9 than it had a right to be. I stuck about 200 yards aft of one of those jacked up Volvo V70 4WD things which was running at a steady 50 or so on the snow, I kind arrogantly thought if he crashes then I'll slow down ! But it was fine, nary a flicker from the TC, it just plodded on.
If I ever bought a Jag it would be an XK. Preferably an R. But should I ever be in the position to buy one of those I would buy a Cayman.
I think I am destined to be perpetually unlucky with Ernie. Probably a woman!
Practical as a 3.0 V6 X type estate sounds, a 5 door GTI is looking ever more likely. Just biding my time to see if any in the spec I require appear as part ex's in early March.
Guy I know has a Golf R32. He likes it. Sounds nice. Goes a bit.
Test driving a year old R next week. Being chopped in for a new one at a local dealer. Only four cylinders unlike the R32, but goes well according to what I have read.
 Mercedes Benz SLK - Love it. - Boxsterboy
One of our guys at work has an SLK250CDI. Nice car ruined by an excessively course engine (all Merc 4-Cylinder diesels are the same. The 4-cylinder diesel in my Transporter is smoother).

A few years ago I spent a long weekend in Germany driving an SLK 200 (petrol) from Stuttgart to Leipzig etc. The roof was down the whole week-end, including stretches on the autobahn at 130 mph. Now that was fun! So much nicer with a better engine, and I normally like diesels.
Yeah but those 4 cyl MB diesels are brilliant in snow. Just ask our resident driving God.
Tee hee
They are.

;-)
 Mercedes Benz SLK - Love it. - Lygonos
>> a 5 door GTI is looking ever more likely

I fear you've missed the boat on VW leasing off the Golf R at knock down rates.

Mate just got his 5 door - 295hp, 4wd, 28-29mpg realistically - 0-62 in 5.3s

Paying £199/mth over 2 years (I think was £1200 up front)

That's about £6000 to hit around in a new Golf R for 2 years - I presume depreciation alone would be double that.

*Edit* - similar to this deal, but he got it (very) slightly cheaper as his brother-in-law if a VAG sales chappie - his £199/mth includes VAT and servicing.

www.hotukdeals.com/deals/golf-r-tsi-300bhp-personal-lease-178-79-month-inc-vat-6692-17-centralvehicleleasing-2013734
Last edited by: Lygonos on Thu 26 Feb 15 at 00:14
 Mercedes Benz SLK - Love it. - Stuartli
My daughter has an SLK - loves it.

The last time I was in one was when I occupied the front passenger seat and Stirling Moss was at the wheel (not for the first time over the years)...:-) Sublime driving skills.
Had a drive in it tonight after work, urban, fast A class, bendy old school A class...mostly superbly graded and surfaced roads, a few pot holes in the town.

Easy to get comfy in it, superbly built interior, as previously mentioned, all the switchgear was beautiful. Instruments not to my taste, BMW and Mazda manage to make them so much clearer and simpler can't beat the Beemer's.

Comfortable no compromise seats. Start up and the diesel rumbled in a very old fashioned way. Much prefer a petrol motor myself in a car like this. My BIL"s Z4 with a proper six cylinder sounds so much better....especially, I imagine, with the roof down. Hell even the MX5's 2 litre four sounded good.

Performance was fine, gearbox was as smooth as a chocolate frog. Compared to my wife's old MX5 2.0 (2009) - this felt a little dull and unresponsive....when the new MX5 launches in the summer it will cost just below £20k....this spec'd up Merc was over £40k....seriously worth buying two MX5s...!
Two MX5s ?

Ooookaaay...

successfulhealthcoach.com/wp-content/woo_custom/17-129457719_564c8c91ac.jpg

;-)
Latest Forum Posts