Motoring Discussion > Expensive hobby. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 11

Expensive hobby. - R.P.
Took the bike for a second attempt on the MoT today...popped into Tesco for a brew (which was awful)...picked up a copy of Car magazine...interesting topics for me included the Jaguar XE - a test of the Discovery Sport and a write up on the new MX5...all potential driveway fodder....£4.50 !!!!

I subscribed for many many years - only dropped it when my income went south when I retired, often wondered why I bought it after all the great writers moved on in different ways. Sadly no better than any other motor magazine I've looked at of late. Shame
 Expensive hobby. - CGNorwich
As with all magazine subscription is a lot cheaper - only £30 p.a. There is something nice about a brand new magazine dropping through the door every month.
 Expensive hobby. - No FM2R
>>There is something nice about a brand new magazine dropping through the door every month.

I so agree. And I still enjoy "real" newspapers at the weekend.
 Expensive hobby. - spamcan61
I purchase Spamcan Junior's Top Gear magazine subscription using Clubcard points, even cheaper :-)

www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/browse.aspx?Ntt=&N=4294958889+4294966464&No=0
 Expensive hobby. - madf
I gave up on Car magazine when Setright and Bishop stopped writing... for reasons obvious to anyone who ever read them..and that will be incomprehensible to anyone who did not.

Beekeeping is MUCH more expensive. A fully equipped beehive sans bees can be anything from c£200 to £400, suit and tools anything from £50 to £200 and food/chemicals etc can cost up to £200pa. A I am mean - and an OAP - I make most of my own and won £100 towards a new hive in a competition.

And if you want an electric machine to separate honey from combs, think a Miele type washing machine at £500 plus...although if fit you can use a cheap manual one for £200 -and develop muscles in your arms.

Then you have membership of the British Beekeepers Assocaiation £30 pa which includes insurance and a monthly magazine (CAR was infiniltely more readable) and storage in the winter. I use our garage but many others buy beesheds.. tinyurl.com/lgh9azr

Unsurprisingly many new beekeepers - as opposed to elderly ones who started when things were much cheaper...- tend to be more affluent than the average...
Last edited by: madf on Sat 28 Feb 15 at 18:44
 Expensive hobby. - Runfer D'Hills
The most expensive hobby I ( used to ) have was smoking. Ten quid a day more or less now. Makes what I spend on mountain bikes and biking seem almost reasonable.
 Expensive hobby. - Armel Coussine
'Drinking is my hobby, Armel', my Jock neighbour in the Grove said to me once as we watched the Carnival clamouring past from our neighbouring balconies, passing a rum bottle back and forth from time to time.

But drinking and smoking aren't hobbies really, they are addictions. Naturally one prefers to think the next glass, snout, joint or toot is a conscious choice. But one is fooling oneself. There's very little volition involved once the ball is well and truly rolling. It just happens.

The human comedy, fnarr fnarr...

:o/
 Expensive hobby. - legacylad
Wives. When solicitors get involved. Jeez I hope they're not addictive.
Just booked a rafting trip. Cannot get much further away from them than the bottom of the GC.
 Expensive hobby. - WillDeBeest
...the bottom of the GC.
Garbage Can?
};---)

My mental picture of your marital past gets a little more lurid each time you mention it, LL.
 Expensive hobby. - No FM2R
"Grand Canyon" I expect.
 Expensive hobby. - Dave_
>> As with all magazines subscription is a lot cheaper

Buying last month's edition for a quid from Loughborough Saturday market is cheaper still ;)
 Expensive hobby. - MD
Or pinching it from the Doctor's surgery.
Latest Forum Posts