Motoring Discussion > Survey result Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 18

Survey result - Old Navy
This is from the Sunday Post. It is from a survey of lease car drivers but I expect we have all experienced some of these behaviours.

“Does this mean road etiquette is dead in the UK?”

The serious point to this is that it shows the frustrations British drivers face every day which could lead on to more serious incidents if tempers aren’t controlled.

The top 20 annoyances about other road users are:

1 Lack of courtesy

2 People using a mobile phone while driving

3 Driving too slowly in the middle or fast lane

4 Cyclists ignoring red lights

5 Tractors that don’t pull over

6 Bad parking

7 Tailgating

8 Throwing cigarette ends out of the window

9 People who don’t indicate

10 Loud music. Have you noticed the louder the music, the worse it is?

11 Not moving up in a traffic jam, letting other cars in

12 Not dipping headlights

13 Seeing other drivers picking their nose!

14 Drivers who block the road when an emergency vehicle is trying to get through

15 Motorbikes filtering through a traffic jam

16 Wheel spinning

17 Unreadable number plates

18 Spitting out of the window

19 People who keep changing lanes in traffic jams

20 Drivers who slow down to look at an accident

And the more unusual gripes:

“Baby on board signs. Do they want a medal?”

“Personalised number plates. I get it, you’ve got money.”

“Oncoming drivers who flash you. I’m not psychic.”

“Fog lights. It’s not foggy. There’s no fog.”

“I hate people who turn right. Stop it, you’re in my way.”
 Survey result - Slidingpillar
“Baby on board signs. Do they want a medal?”

I always at a sign that says, "Baby on board", and say, "it's driving". There are two justifications for it though, emergency services know to look (should be an offence to display when there isn't a baby on-board) and a warning that the driver may drive extremely badly with the distraction.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Sun 1 Mar 15 at 09:39
 Survey result - Old Navy
There is a local car which has a " Grandparents of twins " yellow sign displayed. Must be a warning of extended intensive babysitting.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 1 Mar 15 at 09:56
 Survey result - Duncan
>> I always at a sign that says, "Baby on board", and say, "it's driving". There
>> are two justifications for it though, emergency services know to look
>>

Nonsense.

It doesn't mean a thing nowadays. It should be a offence to display such a sign.
 Survey result - Slidingpillar
It doesn't mean a thing nowadays
Couldn't agree more. While the justification is there, the fact is the sign is utterly devalued by its repeated over use. My post was a bit tongue in cheek.
 Survey result - Duncan
>> The top 20 annoyances about other road users are:
>>
>> 3 Driving too slowly in the middle or fast lane

3a. Other road users who don't realise that there no such thing as a 'fast lane'.
 Survey result - Zero
> “I hate people who turn right. Stop it, you’re in my way.”

Yes! Very Annoying, right turns should be banned.
 Survey result - RattleandSmoke
.*******

My biggest pet hate though is people that don't indicate at roundabouts.
 Survey result - Armel Coussine
>> My biggest pet hate though is people that don't indicate at roundabouts.

Some people are fussy about indicating at roundabouts, but with a simple 4-way roundabout you signal right if you're turning right, left if you're turning left and not at all if you are going straight on. With very big roundabouts with multiple exits, you may signal right on the way round the thing and left when you reach your exit.

A lot of drivers are crap at roundabouts - perhaps we all are from time to time - so it's a good idea to keep a cautious eye on any other car in or approaching the hazard. Some cars will do the most extraordinary things in a jerky, sudden way. They are scared of roundabouts and can't actually drive properly. We've all done that sort of thing in our day. Takes time to learn to drive properly in places with traffic.

Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 1 Mar 15 at 14:12
 Survey result - R.P.
You're absolutely right. I despair of drivers at roundabouts when in my truck, all very well reading the road ahead but when drivers are oblivious to their own intentions.....

Slightly different on the bike though where you can nip into gaps avoiding fag ends of course :-)
The things that matter in the list are manoeuvres that are dangerous, and manoeuvres that are unnecessarily obstructive (turning right may be obstructive, but it can't be helped if right is where the driver needs to turn). The others are simply makeweight. Changing lanes in traffic jams is merely annoying, but neither dangerous nor obstructive.

I really don't see anything wrong with chucking a dog-end out of the window, anyway after making sure a motorcyclist isn't just overtaking. Or spitting out of the window come to that. Smoking and spitting may be distasteful but they are trivial and needn't affect anyone else. Dog-ends aren't rubbish like Wimpy boxes and the like, they're dust, or soon will be. Even so I don't always chuck them out. But it's tiresome having to empty the ashtray (which is very badly placed in my car, too far below the driver's line of sight).

That should make non-smoking, disciplined drivers feel decently superior to me. They're welcome to.

Survey result - No FM2R
>>Dog-ends aren't rubbish like Wimpy boxes and the like, they're dust, or soon will be

Up to 10 years, apparently.

Survey result - R.P.
Stopping at traffic lights on the bike and looking at the gutter reveal where a hideous dog end count. Anti social at best downright criminal at worst. Get one of these hit you on a bike or jam itself in an air filter on a car and you really are in trouble. Probably OK in cities but don't do it in the countryside.
>> Anti social at best downright criminal at worst. Get one of these hit you on a bike or jam itself in an air filter on a car

Yes, smoking is anti-social unless the microsociety consists entirely of smokers. But 'downright criminal'? Do me a favour Rob. I did say I looked in the mirror for motorcyclists or other overtakers before chucking a dogend out of the window.

It may well be that filter tips, which are made of some awful plasticky stuff, take 10 years to biodegrade fully if they are left undisturbed. But on the road they are blown about, ground to dust under car wheels and swept away by the council's special sweeping vehicles, even in the country actually although not very often. In any case the earth is infinitely accommodating and generous, and no sane person thinks twice about stuffing a dogend into an ornamental box hedge or reasonably verdant flowerbed.

In parks there are petty officials to catch you at it and make you pick them up. What I find hard to understand is why people appoint themselves to this role here. Something to do with anti-smoking wonkery most likely... modern Scheisse.

One can only applaud their aggressive sense of social responsibility of course. But it makes me feel more tired and more bored than a normal person could possibly imagine.
 Survey result - CGNorwich
I was driving my tractor down the A11 the other day. The traffic was at a crawl at first so I had to keep changing lanes and I was amusing myself with my country and western turned up to max and indulging in a bit of nasal mining. I had the odd fag and was idly throwing the fag ends out of the window. The wretched things make me cough so I had to spit out of the window from time to time

Eventually we all speeded. I like to keep as close to the vehicle front as possible in the outside lanes so they can see me and I keep my headlights on all the time for the same reason.

I was chugging along and didn't notices the police cars sirens cos of the music and anyway I was looking at the pile-up in the other carriageway when the mobile rang and I decided to pull over cos I had a fag in one hand and the mobile in the other and that's not safe.

Didn't bother signalling, why should, and I and hit this idiot motorcyclist filtering through the traffic. Just left my my tractor where it was. Should be OK though its covered in mud and nobody can read the plates. Its a personalised job. F U 2
 Survey result - Haywain
"I was driving my tractor down the A11 ............"

Wrong county, mate, you should have said "I was steering my trawler off Inner Cromer Knoll ........."
 Survey result - TheManWithNoName
I dislike the driver who stops to let 1 car out of a side road but in the process causes the ten or so vehicles behind him to brake, stop and start again all using extra fuel, delay, noise, wear and tear.

Had the leading car driver used his mirrors, he would have known they'd all be past the waiting car in a matter of seconds. It's one thing being kind and letting someone out when you're in stop/start traffic but we don'y need some self righteous knight of the road holding the majority up.
>> It's one thing being kind and letting someone out when you're in stop/start traffic but we don'y need some self righteous knight of the road holding the majority up.

Agree with the nameless one. Be considerate and courteous, but don't be sodding thick.
>> Be considerate and courteous, but don't be sodding thick.

Difficult not to be sometimes. After you Cecil after you Claude can end with a stupid crash, in theory anyway.

Had one today at a 3-way roundabout, both hesitated then both went for it. When that happens the one with the nose ahead has the road. The geezer didn't run into me and I booted it round him. But it could have happened. How tiring that would have been.
Latest Forum Posts