Motoring Discussion > Tomtom/downloads/SD card question..... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 4

Tomtom/downloads/SD card question..... - Haywain
As this is a question about a satnav, I'm not sure if it should appear in Technical, Motoring, Non-motoring or even computing but ......... here goes.....

I've got a Tomtom Start 25 which has proved to be an excellent piece of kit, though I find that downloading updates not only takes a while, but the download frequently grinds to a halt. I note that the on-board memory is almost full and, whenever a computer drive gets anywhere near this full, I know I need to extend the memory. I've got a microSD card at the ready and I wonder if this will alleviate the capacity problem.

I wonder if anyone on here has used an additional SD card in a Tomtom and how you go about using it. If I simply push the card into the memory slot, will the satnav sort itself out - or do I have to tell it what to do? How does it cope with some data on the internal drive, and some on the card?

Any advice will be gratefully received.
 Tomtom/downloads/SD card question..... - No FM2R
I don't know. But it appears that the SatNav will sort itself out.

Perhaps this will help....

uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2634/~/which-memory-card-can-i-use-to-install-maps%3F

uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9893
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 2 Mar 15 at 15:38
 Tomtom/downloads/SD card question..... - Manatee
It should sort itself out, and I would definitely give it a go with the SD card. It's quite possible that as the amount of data in the standard map set grows it will exceed the capacity of the device, it did with one of ours. And as you say, being full slows everything down as it doesn't have much room to decompress, copy and delete the downloaded elements.

I must say I have found neither the TomTom or Garmin PC applications at all intuitive, but TomTom was if anything the worse of the two - but that was a while back so the current version might be better!
 Tomtom/downloads/SD card question..... - rtj70
The last time I messed around with maps on a TomTom with an additional SD Card, I think the map folder needed to be installed on the SD Card using TomTom Home. But I'm not sure what version of the TomTom software runs on your Go 25.

I know on earlier versions, the unit treated the card as a separate file system. It would use maps installed on either the internal memory or external. I've moved the map of the Canary Islands to the external SD Card for sure using Windows.
 Tomtom/downloads/SD card question..... - Haywain
Thanks for the comments. Having previously checked the compatibility link, I had a 16GB microSDHC card ready and had seen the 'MyDrive' procedure. I have experienced Tomtom's idea of 'support' before and their instructions frequently seem to have been written by someone who's not tried to do the operation for themselves. I just wondered if anyone on here had any personal experience.

I installed the new card, and downloaded the latest map version, although it all appears to have gone onto the internal memory. I guess it'll just squeal when it runs out of space and wants to encroach onto the card as well. If anything, I would have said that the download went quicker than usual.
Latest Forum Posts