Motoring Discussion > Subaru Forester III - The Subaru holy grail: diesel & automatic! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 10

Subaru Forester III (from 2008) - The Subaru holy grail: diesel & automatic! - Auntie Lockbrakes
Did I see somewhere last week that Subaru have announced they are mating a CVT gearbox to the diesel engine available in the Forester?

Isn't this what customers have been asking for for years?! Surprised no mention on here - or is Subaru just too niche in the UK now?!
 Subaru Forester III (from 2008) - The Subaru holy grail: diesel & automatic! - madf
The Mark1 diesel engine breaks crankshafts and has major EGR issues..
Subaru lost the plot a decade ago in the UK and have basically neglected the market.
I would not buy a modern Subaru diesel - you get screwed if anything goes wrong out of warranty.
 Subaru Forester III (from 2008) - The Subaru holy grail: diesel & automatic! - Falkirk Bairn
About 18 months ago a beefed up CVT was fitted to the 2.0 turbo petrol Forester, I assume this is the same gearbox fitted to the diesel as in Outback.

Subaru have fallen down on sales - from say 10,000 cars per y 10 years ago to a low of 2,000. Now running around 3,000.

Impreza 1.5 is £18K for a small petrol!!. BRZ outsold by sister Toyota GT86 multiple times, XV does not hack it...the only real seller is the Forester. Failing diesels under 100K does not help.

HIGH prices and limited dealer cover has killed their uK sales....in the USA they are a lot cheaper (2/3 rds UK) and cheap petrol means the thirst for petrol is less important.
 Subaru Forester III (from 2008) - The Subaru holy grail: diesel & automatic! - Zero
Subarus have always been over rated, over priced and underwhelming. They haven't changed, its just that people have woken up to that fact.
 Subaru Forester III (from 2008) - The Subaru holy grail: diesel & automatic! - Boxsterboy
My father in law is a Subaru fan. He is on his countless-knows what Forester (I doubt he knows how many he has had himself) but then he is one of those people who insists on a new car every 3 years, regardless.

I like the idea of a Forester diesel auto, but in my book a CVT doesn't count as an auto.

I like boxer engines - their low CoG, the smoothness, etc. - but I dread to think of the amount of money Subaru must have spent on developing it for the European market, giving the small number of sales. I know it would have compromised their 'integrity' but surely it would have been simpler and cheaper to drop a transverse Toyota diesel in?
 Subaru Forester III (from 2008) - The Subaru holy grail: diesel & automatic! - Lygonos
>> in my book a CVT doesn't count as an auto.

The one in my Kizashi seems pretty decent.

I've not seen much evidence of Subaru's Lineartronic (CVT) having any significant reliability issues even in the high-milers in the US.

In recent reviews it appears Subaru have constantly updated it and the latest versions generally get 'good' rather than 'ok for a CVT' levels of praise.

Subaru Forester III (from 2008) - The Subaru holy grail: diesel & automatic! - Runfer D'Hills
I always think CVT sounds like a disease ! I've never knowingly driven a vehicle so equipped so I've no opinion worth having, but instinctively I don't think anyway,that I'd like it. Might be wrong. I was about Marmite.
 Subaru Forester III (from 2008) - The Subaru holy grail: diesel & automatic! - Lygonos
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC43i7Xlqqw

It appears Subaru have tuned the CVT to mimic a typical automatic (either 6 or 8 speed depending upon driving mode) at least on the XT.

Subaru Forester III (from 2008) - The Subaru holy grail: diesel & automatic! - WillDeBeest
Isn't that what MB did for the A160 I had for a day once? Quite vile. And not in a good way.
 Subaru Forester III (from 2008) - The Subaru holy grail: diesel & automatic! - Mapmaker
I drove a CVT Jazz a few times. Nothing to write home about...
I've driven a manual Jazz for a couple of days while the Swift had a (dealer induced) scratch dealt with on its bumper.

Nothing special other than the "80's Renault" habit of smacking my face into the windscreen whenever I used the brakes.
Latest Forum Posts