Motoring Discussion > New fuel rates from HMRC Company Cars
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 13

New fuel rates from HMRC - movilogo
They reduced the rate at which you can claim mileage for company cars.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/advisory-fuel-rates/current-rates

I shall lose 3p/mile :-(

New fuel rates from HMRC - hjd
"Advisory Fuel Fates"
Do they not have any proof-readers at HMRC?
 New fuel rates from HMRC - Mr Moo
Bit of a pain that these are now set for 3 months just as fuel prices are edging up again! My company Qashqai is a 1.5 diesel, so I get 9p per mile, rather than 11p before. According to the HMRC website re how the rates are calculated, I need to achieve 55mpg to break even.

That's probably doable on a gentle motorway run, but a lot of my work journeys are cross country and things get pretty borderline on the economy front. Their figures show the actual cost of fuel per mile at 9.5p per mile, so why this has been rounded down to 9p, I don't know!

Whine over. I'll just have to take it steady and assume that the advisory rates will edge up again over time.
 New fuel rates from HMRC - Bromptonaut
>> "Advisory Fuel Fates"
>> Do they not have any proof-readers at HMRC?

If you read by look/say - recognising letter patterns as words rather than pronouncing each letter individually - proof reading is astonishingly difficult.
 New fuel rates from HMRC - Tigger
>> If you read by look/say - recognising letter patterns as words rather than pronouncing each
>> letter individually - proof reading is astonishingly difficult.
>>
Indeed. I had to resort to reading the words backwards (technique I was taught on a writing course) before I spotted the error!
I've never thought about how I read - but proof-reading comes easily to me. The mistakes tend to leap out at me!
 New fuel rates from HMRC - movilogo
If you have time and energy, you can claim the tax on difference.

e.g. for my car I can claim 13p/mile. Usual allowance (for personal car) is 45 p/mile.

So, technically I can claim back the "tax" on (45-13) * (no of business miles).

New fuel rates from HMRC - Bill Payer
>> If you have time and energy, you can claim the tax on difference.
>>

The rates discussed in this thread are for company car drivers - you can't reclaim the difference as you could if it was your own car
 New fuel rates from HMRC - Stuartli
??I've never thought about how I read - but proof-reading comes easily to me. The mistakes tend to leap out at me!>>

But it's more often than not the opposite if you are "proof reading" your own words. Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees...!!
 New fuel rates from HMRC - No FM2R
Proof reading is easy, its just a timing issue;

Simply either email it or print it and issue it and you will immediately see tons of mistakes become obvious whereas previously they were impossible to detect.

My typos have a cloaking device and it is only deactivated 1 nanosecond after it is no longer possible to make any changes.
 New fuel rates from HMRC - jc2
Why do you always see the error as you hit "ENTER".
 New fuel rates from HMRC - Crankcase
>> My typos have a cloaking device and it is only deactivated 1 nanosecond after it
>> is no longer possible to make any changes.

Clearly.

:)

New fuel rates from HMRC - Bromptonaut
>> My typos have a cloaking device and it is only deactivated 1 nanosecond after it
>> is no longer possible to make any changes.

Did you put that on other people's account too while you were an HJ mod?
I reported the typo and they have now corrected it. Good to see proper use of taxpayers' money!
Latest Forum Posts