Motoring Discussion > Ram Raid. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 20

Ram Raid. - Zero
I drove past this place last week, and saw this beasty in the window, and promptly turned round to gawp at it through the window

And then this happens.

twitter.com/getsurrey/status/573178040446001152?s=03

They wanted 25 grand for it
 Ram Raid. - Zero
opps I missed out a one. 125 grand.
 Ram Raid. - Slidingpillar
Details here:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-31733829

There's a big market in shells for these cars, but you do need to get a MSA log book to compete in this country. Registration plate is interesting, suggests car has history and is not a recent build/restoration. So would be worth a lot more than thieves will get.

Guess it is going overseas now, probably stolen to order too.
 Ram Raid. - No FM2R
A lovely car, and I'd love to have it, but £125k? Unbelievable. I cannot imagine that I would be prepared to pay more than £5k for such a vehicle, and probably not that.

I don't doubt its worth, but I cannot imagine how rich you would have to be to throw away £125k on a boys toy, and if you were that rich why you would want a toy like that.

Equally, for that value, I'd have wanted a bit more than a sheet of glass protecting it from the outside world and thieves.

All said and done, I guess its insured. I hope he had an "agreed value".
 Ram Raid. - Boxsterboy
Is that the old Mitsubishi garage in Ripley?

As nice as Mk1 Mexico is, £125,000 seems a little steep. A guy in our village has an immaculate road-legal Mk1 Mexico (without the flared arches and spotlights). Very nice - next time I see him I'll tell him to make sure it's properly insured!
 Ram Raid. - Zero
>> Is that the old Mitsubishi garage in Ripley?

the very same
 Ram Raid. - swiss tony
>> As nice as Mk1 Mexico is, £125,000 seems a little steep.

But that wasn't a Mexico.
It stopped being one when they replaced the engine.
That's if it was ever a genuine one... not many real type 49 shells left. most have been reshelled into basic (but modified) shells.
 Ram Raid. - Zero
>> >> As nice as Mk1 Mexico is, £125,000 seems a little steep.
>>
>> But that wasn't a Mexico.
>> It stopped being one when they replaced the engine.
>> That's if it was ever a genuine one... not many real type 49 shells left.
>> most have been reshelled into basic (but modified) shells.

I had my doubts about the authenticity of that car, but I assumed it carried all the required attribution to justify that price tag.
There is a tread on Pistonheads about this. The engine is described as a 5 litre TVR V8 race engine. If one assumes the gearbox, back axle, suspension and brakes are appropriate to the weight and power, it would be a pretty special car, but I have my doubts the quoted value is reasonable. One could only tell that at a well publicised auction I think.
 Ram Raid. - Zero
but what does 125 grand buy you these days?

similar year

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201501140150691

Ram Raid. - Armel Coussine
>> but what does 125 grand buy you these days?

Quite a lot of respectable 'classics', but not many respectable vintage cars. I do wish caption writers would learn the meanings of these terms, instead of subverting and corrupting the Automobile language. I'm sure my teeth aren't alone in being set on edge.
Quite a lot of respectable 'classics', but not many respectable vintage cars.

Au contraire mon ami, you can get some rather nice vintage cars for that money. True you won't find a Bugatti, Bentley or Alfa Romeo for that money, but you've pretty well got the pick of Morgan three wheelers (and pre-war four wheeler) for much less than that money, some rather nice ACs, and quite a lot of other nice cars including Lagondas. Indeed, shop around and you can even get some 'Brighton' (pre 1905) cars for that money.

Most expensive Austin 7 I found on a quick trawl was a racer at £25000 but you can still get a nice road car for less than £10000.
 Ram Raid. - Zero

>> Most expensive Austin 7 I found on a quick trawl was a racer at £25000
>> but you can still get a nice road car for less than £10000.

There is nothing nice about an Austin 7. My father had one, the ruddy thing was horrid.
 Ram Raid. - Bromptonaut
>> There is nothing nice about an Austin 7. My father had one, the ruddy thing
>> was horrid.

Former colleague of mine had one, or a derivative, as a hobby car.

A bit of Googling suggests it's a 1936 Austin Nippy and that he's still driving it.
 Ram Raid. - Runfer D'Hills
I was about to type that I'd not have thought there was much of a market for shonky old cars in Surrey but then again...
 Ram Raid. - Zero
>> I was about to type that I'd not have thought there was much of a
>> market for shonky old cars in Surrey but then again...

Well you see on the whole we manage to keep the door mirrors on them down here.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 5 Mar 15 at 16:23
>> Au contraire mon ami, you can get some rather nice vintage cars for that money. True you won't find a Bugatti, Bentley or Alfa Romeo for that money, but you've pretty well got the pick of Morgan three wheelers (and pre-war four wheeler) for much less than that money, some rather nice ACs, and quite a lot of other nice cars including Lagondas.

How really usable are they though? I agree Morgans are the real thing, and the company is still making vintage cars to prove it.

Still Sp, it's a long time since I looked at the small-ads in Motor Sport, Autosport etc. Perhaps tasty vintage and PVT cars are a bargain these days... but I doubt it.

And although it ought to be part of the fun, maintenance on vintage thoroughbreds is incessant and costly. Whenever I see one - there are a few round here - I have an ignoble desire to become enormously rich.
How really usable are they though? I agree Morgans are the real thing, and the company is still making vintage cars to prove it.

Still Sp, it's a long time since I looked at the small-ads in Motor Sport, Autosport etc. Perhaps tasty vintage and PVT cars are a bargain these days... but I doubt it.

And although it ought to be part of the fun, maintenance on vintage thoroughbreds is incessant and costly

It is perfectly possible to use a vintage car for a long trip, just that you'll need to grease, oil and possibly adjust things. The difficulty comes in that the requisite mechanical knowledge seems to be a bit thin on the ground these days and without it, it all gets rather expensive.

Ram Raid. - John Boy
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5s_wiJLD9c
>> to use a vintage car for a long trip, just that you'll need to grease, oil and possibly adjust things.

Of course a serious owner will be able to do all that. And it's true some vintage cars are very durable and reliable. Others however can verge on the temperamental, and parts when needed are costly especially if they have to be made.

Doubtless a keen and energetic youngster with supportive parents and friends can still enjoy vintage motoring on a relative shoestring. But if I wanted to get any vintage car now I would expect to need a lot of bread. At least I know a proper mechanic when I meet one.
 Ram Raid. - Bromptonaut
An account of one such tour :

freespace.virgin.net/john.lovelock4/Targa_Florio_Tour.htm
Latest Forum Posts