Motoring Discussion > Greens motoring policy Green Issues
Thread Author: J Bonington Jagworth Replies: 32

Greens motoring policy - J Bonington Jagworth
I know that sounds like a contradiction in terms, and it does look like they're having trouble with it, or at least the belated realisation that even they need their own transport, sometimes...

This weekend the Greens will debate whether to amend a policy to effectively ban all cars from the roads. The motion reads:

Our current transport policy has a line that would ban almost all currently roadworthy cars. As this would probably prove unattractive with the electorate, this motion replaces it with text that is more in line with the intentions of the policy.

The offending clause of the policy book (TR310) reads:

Vehicles would not be permitted for road use that had the ability to travel at greater speeds than the majority of EU national maximum speed levels.

They propose replacing it with the words:

The Green Party would introduce legislation to encourage car manufacturers to introduce speed limiters in vehicles to prevent them travelling faster than the UK national maximum speed limit."

They will also scrap the words:

“to encourage car manufacturers to introduce speed limiters in vehicles to prevent them travelling faster than the UK national maximum speed limit.”

And replace by the following:

“to require manufacturers to install suitable technology in all new motor vehicles such that compliance with speed limits is better achieved. The prescription of the most suitable technology will be based on the best evidence available at the time the legislation is passed and will be reviewed from time to time. The maintenance of such equipment will be covered by the annual vehicle test (MOT).”

Nice to know they're thinking of us, I suppose...
 Greens motoring policy - Mike H
So what happens when we drove in a country with a higher speed limit than the UK? Can we switch the limiter off? And if so, how will they police that it's switched on in the UK?

Doesn't sound like they have thought this one through.
Last edited by: Mike H on Fri 6 Mar 15 at 18:45
 Greens motoring policy - Armel Coussine
>> Doesn't sound like they have thought this one through.

There's nothing to think. Green motoring policy is designed to suppress the privately-owned automobile. Hybrids and electric cars are the thin end of the wedge: the end objective is no cars or hardly any. Just damn smug overfed taxis everywhere, bad cess to them.

Herself very annoyingly votes green in local elections at least. I think I even did it once. Anyway they are enemies of motoring so I'm ashamed of us both. Green be damned. Drab grey more like.
 Greens motoring policy - Runfer D'Hills
'S ok, they won't get in.
>> 'S ok, they won't get in.

No. but along with UKIP, the Celtic nationalist parties and the rotating eyeball brigade they may come to hold the, harrumph, balance of power. What with the effete condition of the big three parties it's enough to keep a chap on his toes. Even that may not ensure survival.
 Greens motoring policy - Haywain
Actually, AC, as a pro booze, pro ciggies, anti-motoring law, live-and-let-live sort of party, I'd have thought that UKIP might have appealed to you?
 Greens motoring policy - CGNorwich
" live-and-let-live sort of party"

Well a live and let live so long as it's not around here sort of a party ;-)
"Well a live and let live so long as it's not around here sort of a party ;-)"

I can tell you that, here in Bury St Edmunds, we are a very tolerant lot and we welcome all sorts from our neighbouring counties - principally in an attempt to knock some culture into them. You will no doubt be aware that details of the Bury Festival have now been released but, if not, have a look here www.buryfestival.co.uk

Do sometimes venture into Suffolk when I want to visit somewhere foreign.

Was in the Cannon in Bury for lunch today.
 Greens motoring policy - Zero
>> Do sometimes venture into Suffolk when I want to visit somewhere foreign.

You would have to, its one of only two ways out
"You would have to, its one of only two ways out"

Four ways; I say, four ways! You can also take a boat from anywhere along the coast, or fly from Norwich airport.
By land three surely? Cambs, Lincs and Suffolk.

Anyway going somewhere really alien tomorrow. Surrey. Have to use Gatwick to depart for La Palma for a couple of weeks in the sun.
"Was in the Cannon in Bury for lunch today."

Blimey, you were within 200 yds of me. I was with me mateys drinking coffee and eating fruit scones in the Just Traid café in St John's Street.

One of the chaps is a well-indoctrinated member of the Grauniadisti and he was spitting venom this morning because ISIL (ISIS?) was bulldozing ancient statues. So far, he has tolerated beheadings, stonings, FGM, throwing gays from tall buildings, subjugation of women etc ...... because it's 'part of their culture'. But he draws the line at old statues! I nearly choked on me fair trade cuppa.

BTW - were you drinking beer in the Old Cannon - if so, which one?
It's a small world isn't it. Usually drink their own brew but was drinking Theakson's bitter today.
 Greens motoring policy - R.P.
The Greens are known as the Greys in Griefley...
"It's a small world isn't it. Usually drink their own brew but was drinking Theakson's bitter today."

I like their own 'best' but it doesn't like me - it gives me a headache (as it did to the previous head brewer, so I'm told). I normally stick with Adnam's Best, or try one of the guest beers. I haven't seen Theakstons in there before.
"But he draws the line at old statues!"

That's very Guardian. The Beeb (who are keen Grauniad readers) were banging on about the same thing today and, as you say, seem to be far more outraged by the bulldozers than the murder and mayhem. Funny things, priorities...
 Greens motoring policy - Stuartli
I cannot think of anything that would be more dangerous than driving a vehicle that had a limited top speed for the reasons proposed.

Clearly those who dream up such nonsense don't drive themselves.
 Greens motoring policy - Cliff Pope
>> I cannot think of anything that would be more dangerous than driving a vehicle that
>> had a limited top speed for the reasons proposed.
>>

Only in a world where everyone else goes much faster? If all vehicles were limited to 50 mph then it might be much safer.

And aren't we told that at universal lower speeds traffic moves more efficiently - more vehicles per hour?
 Greens motoring policy - swiss tony
>> And aren't we told that at universal lower speeds traffic moves more efficiently - more
>> vehicles per hour?
>>

Noooo... the opposite, the faster traffic goes the shorter time each vehicle occupies the space for, so that space will get used more times...
ie, at 0mph each car is filling a space permanently.
at 150mph it's in and out the space in a blink of an eye.....
 Greens motoring policy - IJWS14
>> >> And aren't we told that at universal lower speeds traffic moves more efficiently -
>> more
>> >> vehicles per hour?
>> >>
>>
>>
>> Noooo... the opposite, the faster traffic goes the shorter time each vehicle occupies the space
>> for, so that space will get used more times...
>> ie, at 0mph each car is filling a space permanently.
>> at 150mph it's in and out the space in a blink of an eye.....
>>

Nice idea but the space each car needs at 150 is soooooooooo much bigger.

Most efficient use as in vehicles passing per hour is somewhere around 16mph.

Guess what average speeds are in the rush hour.
 Greens motoring policy - Zero

>> Nice idea but the space each car needs at 150 is soooooooooo much bigger.
>>
>> Most efficient use as in vehicles passing per hour is somewhere around 16mph.

Kind of true but not really. The space a car needs at 150mph is the same as that at 16mph. Its the driver that needs more space. So the logical step for the greens is to get rid of the driver.
'pro-ciggies, pro-beer etc might have appealed?'

I am not myself in favour of harmful addictions, even the ones I've got. And I absolutely hate mustard-coloured corduroy trousers.

UKIP is a simple-minded single-issue party that couldn't possibly appeal to a grown-up.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 7 Mar 15 at 02:00
 Greens motoring policy - madf
I think the Greens should plan to hold their next conference in somewhere unspoiled - like Buxton - and try to get there without travelling in any wheeled vehicle..

Should take them out of circulation for months.

(Flying is of course not allowed).
 Greens motoring policy - Ted
Pendolino to Stockport then change to Buxton train.....they'd be all over it !

Leave the emissions at some power station or refinery...they won't be affected !
 Greens motoring policy - Stuu
www.weathervelo.com/index.html

I expect this thing forms part of their big idea. Dont know if it will replace a 5-Series tho...
 Greens motoring policy - Robin O'Reliant
>> www.weathervelo.com/index.html
>>
>> I expect this thing forms part of their big idea. Dont know if it will
>> replace a 5-Series tho...
>>
It won't, but all the same not a bad idea.
 Greens motoring policy - Stuu
Not a bad idea, I think this one is better though:

www.dailymail.co.uk/video/sciencetech/video-1162328/Introducing-bike-pedal-power-highway.html
 Greens motoring policy - Robin O'Reliant
>> Not a bad idea, I think this one is better though:
>>
>> www.dailymail.co.uk/video/sciencetech/video-1162328/Introducing-bike-pedal-power-highway.html
>>

I've seen the one about the Raht Racer on a cycling forum. It would be good if it ever reaches any sort of meaningful production, but many similar prototypes have appeared over the years and disappeared without trace before they ever made the showrooms, let alone the road.
>> Pendolino to Stockport then change to Buxton train.....they'd be all over it !
>>
>> Leave the emissions at some power station or refinery...they won't be affected !
>>

A train is a wheeled vehicle so not available.
"UKIP is a simple-minded single-issue party that couldn't possibly appeal to a grown-up."

If that issue is leaving the EU, I'm entirely in favour. And if I'm not grown-up now, at 63, that's probably an advantage.. :-)
>> "UKIP is a simple-minded single-issue party that couldn't possibly appeal to a grown-up."
>>
>> If that issue is leaving the EU, I'm entirely in favour. And if I'm not
>> grown-up now, at 63, that's probably an advantage.. :-)
>>

I still think I'm an indestructible 25.. then I wake up and reality intervenes with an ache...

Greens motoring policy - Old Navy
The brain / body mismatch must be common on many levels, "I think" is the giveaway. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 9 Mar 15 at 07:33
Latest Forum Posts