Motoring Discussion > Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 18   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 108

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 18 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 19 *****

Top Gear chat.

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Volume 17 is HERE:-

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 13 Mar 15 at 01:16

Top Gear 8th March - VxFan
I was quite enjoying the Autocross article until Pinky and Perky stepped in and spoiled it. Why do they have to try and make a joke about absolutely everything?

I realise it's an entertainment show but sometimes it would be nice to see an article without the Last of the Summer Wine japers included.

Top Gear 8th March - BobbyG
The more I watch of this series on catch up, the more I think it may be the last.

Items like the LR Defender article which they finished by saying it was irrelevant as production wasn't being stopped, and there was something last night as well (can't remember what now) that made me think at the time that it was very unprofessionally done.

There seems to be very little originality left now and I wouldn't be surprised if they just called it a day. The three presenters have made their money, it would be up to the production company / BBC as to whether they try and keep it going in a different guise.

Top Gear 8th March - Lygonos
>>The more I watch of this series on catch up, the more I think it may be the last

Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson suspended by the BBC "following a fracas" with a producer

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31824040

Hopefully he stuck the heid in someone and he can disappear for a while.

The amount he plays with his nose on camera always makes me think he's supplementing his natural bellendishness.

Edit: suspended pending an investigation - no Top Gear this week.

Pretty sure he's getting the Lord Sugar treatment.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 10 Mar 15 at 16:52

Top Gear 8th March - Westpig
>> Edit: suspended pending an investigation - no Top Gear this week.
>>
>> Pretty sure he's getting the Lord Sugar treatment.

So why have the pulled the next episode then?

Doesn't Clarkson own the rights to it?

Top Gear 8th March - henry k
Doesn't Clarkson own the rights to it?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2209736/Jeremy-Clarkson-set-5m-windfall-sells-stake-Top-Gear-firm-BBC.html

Previously 3 May 2014

Jeremy Clarkson: BBC gave me final warning
www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27266102

Top Gear 8th March - Zero
suspect that might well be the death shake for the whole show in its current format. Clearly its pretty serious stuff to take such an action
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 10 Mar 15 at 17:55

Top Gear 8th March - Armel Coussine
>> The amount he plays with his nose on camera always makes me think he's supplementing his natural bellendishness

Cocaine has its therapeutic uses though. Good mood ameliorator in the right cocktail with morphine and brandy in cases of severe or terminal illness with discomfort and anxiety/depression.

Guzzled greedily by media luvvies it might be a bit bellendishness-inducing I admit.

Top Gear 8th March - Roger.
order-order.com/2015/03/10/jeremy-clarkson-suspended-by-bbc/

>>Cocaine has its therapeutic uses though. Good mood ameliorator in the right cocktail with morphine and brandy in cases of severe or terminal illness with discomfort and anxiety/depression.

Formerly known as the 'Brompton Cocktail' (no relation to the cycling civil servant I expect).

Top Gear 8th March - Bromptonaut
>> Formerly known as the 'Brompton Cocktail' (no relation to the cycling civil servant I expect).

I recall a 'Chelsea Cocktail' being mentioned in dispatches some years ago re a drama involving the death of Mrs Thatcher. The producers bottled at last minute on using the term in the script.

Unfortunately, in way Slidingpillar alluded to in another thread, they forgot to tell the guys doing the subtitles.

>> Formerly known as the 'Brompton Cocktail' (no relation to the cycling civil servant I expect).

Yup, administered to George VI, or the king as he used to be known, in his final illness.
Have we had this conversation before?

Was the king's doctor called Lord Moran? If so I've driven his car, an overbodied 1932 RR 20/25 limousine coupé de ville which my father bought on impulse. I made its tyres squeal once but it was an alarming experience. The handling was non-existent. The old man was fascinated by its low compression ratio and used to adulterate its petrol with paraffin. In the end he became embarrassed by it. I think his colleagues thought it too eccentric. A censorious, envious lot, civil servants (present company always excepted of course).
 Top Gear 8th March - Dog
>> I think his colleagues thought it too eccentric.

I reckon his colleagues had no taste at all, or they were a tad envious maybe:

dropbears.com/gallery/rolls-royce/Rolls-Royce_1932_Phantom_II.htm

>> I reckon his colleagues had no taste at all, or they were a tad envious maybe:

Both perhaps. But our RR wasn't a magnificent Phantom. It was an underpowered, overbodied 20/25, a doctor's chauffeur driven limo (it had the glass). What's more the body - Mulliner? - was gauche around the lower rear and not that terrific from any angle.

>> Cocaine has its therapeutic uses though.

This post was addressed to Lygonos for his disobliging reference to cocaine. On reflection though I suppose he has to treat bellends who have hurt their noses vainly trying to get off on lignocaine and washing powder. There's a lot of it about.

:o}

order-order.com/2015/03/10/bbc-bring-back-clarkson-petition/

>> >> The amount he plays with his nose on camera always makes me think he's
>> supplementing his natural bellendishness
>>
>> Cocaine has its therapeutic uses though. Good mood ameliorator in the right cocktail with morphine
>> and brandy in cases of severe or terminal illness with discomfort and anxiety/depression.
>>
>> Guzzled greedily by media luvvies it might be a bit bellendishness-inducing I admit.

I thought YOU were a media luvvie, AC :-)

>> I thought YOU were a media luvvie, AC

Who dear me dear no dear, the sauce!

Top Gear 8th March - Dave_
It's at times like this that I'm glad Twitter exists. Sample tweet:

"If John Prescott can punch a voter and keep his job, surely Jeremy Clarkson can punch a producer and keep his."
 Top Gear 8th March - mikeyb
Twitter is great for some immediate reaction, although you have to smile at JC's tweet on Sunday

"It's an old skool Top Gear tonight. Nobody falls over and no-one is fired by canon into a hospital. I'd watch something else frankly."

I do wonder if since selling the rights he now wants out so is trying to get fired

Top Gear 8th March - No FM2R
>>I do wonder if since selling the rights he now wants out so is trying to get fired

Rather than trying to get fired, I suspect that he just isn't as bothered at the possibility as he once would have been. And that lack of concern colours his behaviour.

I think he tied himself into TG for 3 years after selling the rights to the Beeb in 2012.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he engineered this likely exit.
 Top Gear 8th March - mikeyb
See the boys are having some banter on twitter.

May has just tweeted "No Top Gear this weekend, apparently. How about 633 Squadron instead?"

Hammond replied with "No, surely, Last of the Summer Wine; no one will notice the difference. Job done."

BBC are in a difficult position with this one - after the last chance statement they really have no choice but to fire him unless he really is innocent (which I doubt)

Amongst the direct money is the fact that Top Gear's popularity helps drive his book and dvd sales.

Now I don't know what that amounts to these days but it used to be significant.

Steve Bell's take:

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/picture/2015/mar/10/steve-bell-jeremy-clarkson-david-cameron-cartoon

Several newspapers reporting that the producer was thumped by JC.
If so i would guess he is for the exit unless a fudge is produced.

there appears to be some concern that another channel would employ him and make them some ££££s.

>> Several newspapers reporting that the producer was thumped by JC.

I don't much care what happens to him. He'll be OK. But I'm very curious to know what annoyed Clarkson, a fairly urbane person one would think, enough to make him do a thing like that. I hope the comic gives a hint at least.

I sympathise with people who lose their tempers and do stupid things. Done it myself often enough.

I should think that Clarkson would rather stay at the BBC for the time being.

However, if he needs to leave I am sure he would far rather be fired than resign.

If the BBC have any sense, then if they do decide that they need to get rid of Clarkson, and they are not well protected, they will offer him a pay-off in return for some restrictions on his future behaviour / activities, for a set period of time. This will cause outrage in the Guardian and the Daily Mail.

If not, I should think there'll be every chance he will very quickly show up elsewhere; which might cause a Fifth Gear presenter to start worrying about future employment.

Assuming that 1) He wishes to stay in the public eye (he does) and 2) he wishes to continue with motoring (he may not).

Looks like the rest of season 22 has been cancelled as well as this Sunday's episode.

"The three remaining episodes of Top Gear series 22 have been pulled from the schedules after Jeremy Clarkson was accused of punching a producer."

www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-03-10/top-gear-series-postponed-after-jeremy-clarkson-punches-producer

www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/entertainment/news/a25239/clarkson-punched-producer-top-gear-season-22-cancelled/

The Top Gear producer at the centre of the Jeremy Clarkson suspension ‘fracas’ is alleged to be someone called Oisin Tymon.
The Daily Mirror claims Clarkson, 54, lost his temper with Tymon and hit him after he did not have his dinner ready in time following filming for the BBC show in Newcastle.

Taken from metro.co.uk/2015/03/11/first-picture-of-top-gear-producer-allegedly-punched-by-jeremy-clarkson-exclusive-5097593
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 11 Mar 15 at 01:34

Top Gear 8th March - MD
To me on screen he is a berk, but I find some of his writing side splitting.

You cannot have one employee thumping or getting physically close to thumping another. Bad enough when it happens in the pub after work - dealt with that one!. When it happens on duty then gross misconduct is in play - had two 'near misses' in my time, both averted.

Normal process would be to suspend both protagonists (though a junior person might be sent to another post temporarily) while an investigation is carried out. That's where we are now. One there's an outcome from that - a finding - can process move to disciplinary action. Trouble in TG scenario is that suspending Jezza kills the tight recording/broadcast schedule.

I wouldn't want to be either protagonists manager....

Top Gear 8th March - Boxsterboy
>> >> Several newspapers reporting that the producer was thumped by JC.
>>
>> I don't much care what happens to him. He'll be OK. But I'm very curious
>> to know what annoyed Clarkson, a fairly urbane person one would think, enough to make
>> him do a thing like that.
>>

Clarkson has form for hitting people, as Piers Morgan will testify.
 Top Gear 8th March - Old Navy
I heard on the TV this morning that it was a catering dispute. No bacon rolls or donuts? Sounds like a luvvie tantrum.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 11 Mar 15 at 10:13
 Top Gear 8th March - Manatee
If Clarkson was almost anybody in almost any business he would be dismissed for hitting a colleague at work unless there was a very good reason (not including failure to produce his tea or the producer being a scruffy git) or unless said colleague retracts his complaint and his statement of events.

The party with the dilemma here is the BBC. They should fire him if it's a more or less gratuitous assault, but probably don't want to.

I doubt if they will be grateful to Oisin. He might as well start looking for another job now unless he has a high level protector.

Top Gear 8th March - The Melting Snowman
It's about time Clarkson moved on, if that is the eventual outcome. I've always been quite a fan of his but more recently I've found the show predictable and boring. Time for some new blood. I don't agree when people say that Clarkson is the show - no one is indispensable. There were people who thought Eastenders would finish when Dirty Den left.
Last edited by: The Melting Snowman on Wed 11 Mar 15 at 10:58
 Top Gear 8th March - Fenlander
>>>It's about time Clarkson moved on

I've gained the impression he's made a few digs at the newly restrained way he's being forced to operate after his recent warnings.... so he should step away and work in a way he's more comfortable with elsewhere.

I think there still could be a decent TG without Clarkson... after all Kate Humble's still available!

>> I think there still could be a decent TG without Clarkson... after all Kate Humble's
>> still available!
>>

And Ellie Harrison. ,:)

>> after all Kate Humble's still available!

God no. Anyone but her. I'd even put up with VBH over her (just).

Top Gear 8th March - Fenlander
Yes... bit of irony intended in my post. I remember KH on TG as a "presenter" not a motoring enthusiast or a good driver. She did wear the tight leopard print leggings well back in the day though.

>> If Clarkson was almost anybody in almost any business he would be dismissed for hitting a colleague at work unless there was a very good reason (not including failure to produce his tea or the producer being a scruffy git) or unless said colleague retracts his complaint and his statement of events.

Yeah... but he isn't an employee really. He's a powerful freelance media operator.

>> I doubt if they will be grateful to Oisin. He might as well start looking for another job now unless he has a high level protector.

That was my thought too. Whatever set off the spat (if it was a spat and not just badinage) won't have been a complaint about the catering alone. There would be some sort of back-story, a repeated clash or near-clash of personalities.

Clarkson is the most amusing of the presenters, but anyone who can rabbit could do the job. It would help if they knew a bit more about how cars actually work. Men or women, no difference, they're all ciphers.

>> I heard on the TV this morning that it was a catering dispute.

If you read up a bit further, I mentioned it several hours ago too.

Top Gear 8th March - legacylad
Any chance of Gillian Anderson stepping into JCs shoes?

>> Any chance of Gillian Anderson stepping into JCs shoes?

Suzi Perry gets my vote. And she's already on the BBC payroll.

But only if she presents it in her catsuit.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 11 Mar 15 at 16:43

Top Gear 8th March - MD
>> But only if she presents it in her catsuit.
>>
1/2 in.

I mentioned I later for the people who do not read the reams of boring unmoderated text. :)

Top Gear 8th March - TheManWithNoName
I hope they reinstate JC because I want them to show the remaining programs - after all, I've helped pay for them with my licence fee!

And another thing, JC will probably be back in due course - after all Jonathan Ross, Richard Bacon and Brand have all made re-appearances on the BBC despite their past reasons for departure. The board of governors have short memories when it came to them.

not sure they are exactly queuing up to put Brand back on the tele.

and the missing Top Gears? TBH i aint bothered, its stopped being "must see" tele.
>> its stopped being "must see" tele.

If it ever was... but I agree with Zero. I've got bored with it. Walked out on it the other night. It isn't as if there's no tasty schlock available on other channels.
They may not be queueing to have Brand back but he has appeared on the obscure BBC Three (watched by about 4 teenagers) and must have been paid to appear on Question Time. Bacon snorted coke but he's back presenting some arty farty stuff on a Sunday (perish the thought he shares a slot on the same channel that shows Songs of Praise!) and the furore over Ross has clearly been forgotten because he was on Comic relief bake off.

Top Gear 8th March - movilogo
What is the role of "producers" in BBC?

BBC is funded by tax payer's money. So a BBC producer can't be same as normal film producer (who puts his own money)?

Or here producer is simply a "project manager"?

Top Gear 8th March - sooty123
I always thought they were there to watch the money, in this case someone else's.

>> What is the role of "producers" in BBC?

They come in several sizes and many shapes. A lot are fragrant young women who try to get sense out of tongue-tied, inarticulate temporary pundits, while very similar makeup girls are mopping their brows and powdering their shining noses. Bit of a nightmare for a print hack let me tell you despite all the nice young women.

Top Gear 8th March - Westpig
I like Clarkson.

He says it as it is... and he is one of the few in the media spotlight who will openly try to fight the insidious creep of PC.

If however he has punched someone, then he is wrong, it shouldn't come to that (even Piers Morgan).
>> If however he has punched someone, then he is wrong, it shouldn't come to that

Take a look at the photo of the producer in question. He's in late twenties early thirties, a mischievous look in his eye.

I would say from experience that there are certain people who think of themselves as amusing uppity youngsters but are really envious ill-mannered little a*******. It's easy to tell the difference when you are the object of the amusing cheek/envious slander, and I can tell you it's very, very annoying.

I have no special reason to make excuses for Jeremy Clarkson, a boor and thug among other things well capable of looking after himself as a rule. But it occurs to me this producer could have needled him like that, beyond endurance. JC had a hangover perhaps, or business worries. One isn't always in a good mood after all.

From the Grainuad.

www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/11/bbc-jeremy-clarkson-suspension-top-gear

Top Gear 8th March - Stuartli
Latest:

tinyurl.com/k9484qf

>> Latest: tinyurl.com/k9484qf

"Jeremy Clarkson considering quitting the BBC"

Wonder if he'll decide by reciting eeny meeny miny moe (again)

Top Gear 8th March - Robin O'Reliant
Sky are prepared to pay a small fortune for Top Gear team, my guess is they are getting bored with the whole BBC thing and couldn't really care less whether they stay or not. Clarkson is a shrewd guy, he doesn't make these gaffs of his by accident.

As someone said on R4 this morning, he's refreshing because he goes round kicking the PC brigade's tyres.

Top Gear 8th March - J Bonington Jagworth
Two things puzzle me.

1) The programmes are presumably already in the can, and could be shown as originally planned.

2) Why is it taking days to discover whether JC hit someone?

I don't watch TG, as both my 17-year old son and I feel a bit too old for it, but has it not occurred to the BBC that JC's general un-PC attitude might just attract the viewers? He would hardly have got the job if he were a mincing Guardianista...

>> Two things puzzle me.
>>
>> 1) The programmes are presumably already in the can, and could be shown as originally
>> planned.

Not complete, no they are not.

Top Gear 8th March - commerdriver
I was surprised when my lad went to be in the audience last month that the show he was at was shown the following week . I had always assumed they were pre recorded months before.
Seems that tests, races etc are recorded way beforehand but the join it together bits & audience scenes like the SIARPC interview were recorded much closer to broadcast.
Last edited by: commerdriver on Wed 11 Mar 15 at 17:17

>> Two things puzzle me.
>>
>> 1) The programmes are presumably already in the can, and could be shown as originally
>> planned.

Impression being given is that, at least for some parts, the sequence is 'tighter' than that. While filmed set pieces are done well in advance I suspect the 'live to audience' bit is close to broadcast (did somebody say Wednesday?). Scope also to insert late news and keep joshing as up to date as possible.

>> 2) Why is it taking days to discover whether JC hit someone?

One might think it pretty clear cut and compared with say a forensic investigation into IT abuse, it is. OTOH the producer is probably an employee and entitled to notice, time to consider/respond etc plus probable representation by Union.

Some equivalent 'due process' for freelances too.

>> I don't watch TG, as both my 17-year old son and I feel a bit
>> too old for it, but has it not occurred to the BBC that JC's general
>> un-PC attitude might just attract the viewers? He would hardly have got the job if
>> he were a mincing Guardianista...

I'm sure they know that fine well. It's always more troubling disciplining a 'star' employee (in any field) but that cannot give stars carte blanche.

Top Gear 8th March - Stuartli
>>.. I suspect the 'live to audience' bit is close to broadcast (did somebody say Wednesday?).>>

Wednesday is correct.

>> >>.. I suspect the 'live to audience' bit is close to broadcast (did somebody say Wednesday?)
>>
>> Wednesday is correct.

After a film of testing / mucking about is shown, the presenters will discuss their verdicts in front of similar cars in the studio. Sometimes one of those cars will have been placed there by me or one of my colleagues, and we will be lurking in the audience somewhere :)

The parts filmed on a Wednesday are the Stig's timed laps in the car/s du jour, and all the indoor links, the News and the celebrity interview. They also record two versions of the "Tonight..." intro, one sensible and one silly, with a show of hands deciding which one gets used.

It's a long (and often very cold - the last few series have been broadcast straight after Christmas) day on site for all the behind-the-scenes folk, we usually have to arrive by 8am and rarely leave in daylight.

Maybe I should have written all that in the past tense.

Top Gear 8th March - colino
Pretty unlikely any disciplinary offence will have been committed. By sharing very publicly the details of the alleged offence, who carried it out, where and when, it hardly sounds like a dutiful employer carrying out a swift and confidential investigation of a complaint. Good luck to the three stooges when they take the format to another broadcaster with their enormous compensation cheques in hand.

Top Gear 8th March - NortonES2
Do you know it was the BBC that shared details such as they are?

>> Do you know it was the BBC that shared details such as they are?

Tony Hall was giving evidence to Parliament today and was asked about JC. Other than to confirm proceedings were afoot his reply was 'no comment'. Other bits of organisation may be less circumspect and it'll leak like a sieve anyway.

Top Gear 8th March - NortonES2
There would be quite a few witnesses on set! Freelance leaking seems more likely than an official blunder.

Top Gear 8th March - J Bonington Jagworth
"Clarkson has form for hitting people, as Piers Morgan will testify"

I'm not sure that hitting Piers Morgan counts. Who hasn't wanted to..?
but he didn't make a very good job of it tho did he

Interesting interview on R4 just now with a lawyer. He mentions if the BBC pulls the show a lot of overseas purchasers of the show may have to be compensated. It could be an expensive time ahead for Aunty.

Top Gear 8th March - Shiny
With a bit of luck, it will completely destroy this marxist paedophile club and TG can move to another channel.
The BBC are an appalling, sanctimonious, conceited organisation full of their own importance who see their role as the only possible guardian of the nation's morality.

I have had more run-ins with them than I care to remember. Almost always their behaviour was ridiculous, self-centered, conceited, smug and ill-advised.

Their incompetence has to be experienced to be believed.

Top Gear 8th March - R.P.
I'm amazed that tonight's PM ran extended overage of this at the expense of the Hillsborough coverage which was shunted into a very short segment...
>> I'm amazed that tonight's PM ran extended overage of this at the expense of the
>> Hillsborough coverage which was shunted into a very short segment...

Clarkson is new news, hilsborough aint. Plus outside Liverpool, no-one cares.
A scowlie? Jeez, those things are getting put on everything.

The notification emails must be filling Dave's inbox.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 11 Mar 15 at 19:55
>> A scowlie? Jeez, those things are getting put on everything.

Maybe there's a scouser in here somewhere........
 Top Gear 8th March - Stuu
I did have a giggle at the Telegraph with their 'live updates' article which amounted to Clarkson getting in a car and a day full of speculation.

I think Clarkson will win either way, by keeping his job or taking up a lucrative offer somewhere else.

>> I think Clarkson will win either way, by keeping his job or taking up a
>> lucrative offer somewhere else.

As Luis Suarez's sale proves..........

Top Gear 8th March - Runfer D'Hills
I'm available. Well, I could do most Sundays anyway. Reasonable rates too.

Top Gear 8th March - idle_chatterer
I think I'm probably a 'Guardianista' and yet... I find Clarkson to be entertaining and amusing and above all 'tongue in cheek', therefore when he says something (arguably) outrageous I consider it to be light hearted. I hear 'worse' daily in Australia where racist and sexist language is commonplace, even here I realise that it is a cultural norm and so don't tend to judge people for it.

Maybe this makes me an apologist or naive ? Alternatively, perhaps I (as a a self confessed 'Guaradianista') also have a sense of humour ?

This will not go well for the BBC, it's always a problem with a superstar plus the BBC cannot really take the moral high ground given its recent past with Jimmy Saville (another superstar in his day) - but then perhaps it is unfair to conflate the two, they are in an invidious position insofar as the superstar cannot surely be allowed to get away with 'anything' but history suggests they often do....

I expect Top Gear will move to another broadcaster but still be mired in controversy, here the advertisers/sponsors might rein in the antics given how sensitive brands and commercial broadcasters are to negative associations ?

Apparently the story will feature on Newsnight.

Top Gear 8th March - IJWS14
Maybe the answer is for the rest of the TG series to be broadcast but with a guest presenter replacing Clarkson for the rest of the series. Lets find out how essential Clarkson is to the formula.

Perhaps Brian Johnson?

Top Gear 8th March - Duncan
>> Maybe the answer is for the rest of the TG series to be broadcast but
>> with a guest presenter replacing Clarkson for the rest of the series. Lets find out
>> how essential Clarkson is to the formula.
>>
>> Perhaps Brian Johnson?
>>

Blowers? Rather apposite, don't you think, old thing?

www.henryblofeld.co.uk/home.html

>> Maybe the answer is for the rest of the TG series to be broadcast but with a guest presenter replacing Clarkson for the rest of the series.

Well it's worked for "Have I Got News For You" after the Beeb gave Angus Deayton the boot when details of his private life came to light.

Top Gear 8th March - Focusless
>> Well it's worked for "Have I Got News For You"

I was going to say that it was easy for them because there are/were lots of quiz show presenters to choose from. But of course they didn't choose quiz show presenters.

You might argue HIGNFY is relatively easy in that the presenter 'just' reads from the autocue, although they must be able to handle the unscripted stuff in an amusing manner. The TG presenter's role is more demanding?
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 12 Mar 15 at 09:16

Top Gear 8th March - Duncan
>> >> Maybe the answer is for the rest of the TG series to be broadcast
>> but with a guest presenter replacing Clarkson for the rest of the series.
>>
>> Well it's worked for "Have I Got News For You" after the Beeb gave Angus
>> Deayton the boot when details of his private life came to light.
>>

Plenty of the presenters found difficulty in reading the autocue.

Angus Deayton was very good at HIGNFY.

Top Gear 8th March - Cliff Pope
>> Maybe the answer is for the rest of the TG series to be broadcast but
>> with a guest presenter replacing Clarkson for the rest of the series.

There's scope here for one of those terribly amusing job-swap programmes.
Perhaps the Green Party transport spokesman could do TG, and Clarkson could have a shot at getting the Green Party message across.

Top Gear 8th March - Dutchie
Most of the things Jeremy comes out with can be funny.Punch ups are borderline's when it is the boss or was it his equal?

Clarkson is "the talent" who are normally treated with kid gloves; producers are two a penny.

People who are constantly treated as being 'special' frequently end up thinking they really are. Maybe Clarkson's one of those.

He comes across as one of the lads, but that just reminds me of politicians who reach the top after half a lifetime of ruthlessly ambitious career management and shameless jumping on bandwagons, then try to make us think they are ever so humble and caring.
He was a good journo in Performance Car days, funny, insightful and knowledgeable. He found a way to make huge amount of money out of a particular way of branding himself. I enjoyed last week'a TG - cracking programme in every respect. Sadly his overgrown schoolboy image is outdated. He's aged and the world has moved on. He's a boring old fart.
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 11 Mar 15 at 23:18
Oh and a tory supporter.
>> Oh and a tory supporter.

And one of the 'Oxfordshire Set' too.

>> Oh and a tory supporter.

That's the main criticism of him on my fb feed this evening. Nowt so queer as folk.
s4.b3ta.com/host/creative/46786/1426066672/UKIPgear.jpg
Or there's Hadley Freeman's take:

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/11/jeremy-clarkson-top-gear-nigel-farage

>> The notification emails must be filling Dave's inbox.

Only if someone fills in the optional message box, and all the mods get the email, not just me.

>>Only if someone fills in the optional message box

See, that's either bad design or not true. And I don't know either way, but Stephen isn't known for bad design.

Top Gear 8th March - rtj70
Call it bad design then. VxFan is telling the truth unless it's changed in 5 years. And wouldn't he?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 12 Mar 15 at 00:33

Oh Dave likes the odd trick in his back pocket. And maybe this isn't one of them, but he does like them. As I guess we all do.

So the best the BBC could manage to speak on the issue was Kirsty Allsop and Owen Jones?
Credit where it was due, Owen managed to jump to banker bashing so seamlessly he seems to have it down to a fine art, I quickly forgot what the actual question asked was.
Neither of them added anything to the discussion, my only real thought was to ponder at what point Owen will start to age, he seems alarmingly youthful for 30, must have had an easy paper round.

Top Gear 8th March - rtj70
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtmUMt7KxzE

>> See, that's either bad design or not true.

It's neither.

There are 2 different reporting methods.

1. "Report Message" This does what it says on the tin. It reports a message to the moderators - but only if you fill in the box as to why you're reporting a particular post. Leave it blank and we don't get notified. Contrary to belief, we're not mind readers and if you leave the box blank and it's not clearly apparent as to why you've flagged it up to one of us then why should we get an email.

2. The circle next to the thumbs up icon. This, as you well know puts a scowlie face against the persons post. The more people who press this button, the more scowlie the face becomes, and it also changes colour. When it gets to a certain point the post will automatically become hidden. The pop up box also says the following "You may add an optional comment for the moderators of this site. Leave this field blank to simply rate without commenting". This should be self explanatory. i.e. if you don't add a comment then the moderators don't get notified. Again, we're not mind readers.

Oh, I always thought that the report message and scowly-giver were the same thing. Well, you live and learn.

Top Gear 8th March - Cliff Pope
>> The more people who press this button, the
>> more scowlie the face becomes, and it also changes colour. When it gets to a
>> certain point the post will automatically become hidden.

How many individual scowlies does it take for the scowlie to change colour?
How many to make the post disappear?

>> How many individual scowlies does it take for the scowlie to change colour?
>> How many to make the post disappear?

Back on topic.

According (I think, it's the usual garbled account) to the Daily Mail, after a long day filming until 8pm Clarkson kept the helicopter waiting for 3 hours while he was in a pub.

Back at the "luxury hotel" in Hawes (Simonstone Hall) Clarkson wanted a steak but the chef had gone home and only a "cold platter" was on offer, and he lost his rag.

I infer from that that drink had been taken.

>> How many individual scowlies does it take for the scowlie to change colour?
>> How many to make the post disappear?

Unless I've forgotten, SK has never told us.

Lead item in Allison Pearson's column in today's comic is a personal defence of Jeremy Clarkson, pointing out notably that he doesn't seem remotely racist. Seemed more or less spot on to me. La Pearson is usually entertaining in my book.

She also said she didn't think Clarkson had actually hit the producer.
Latest Forum Posts