Motoring Discussion > Car Insurance - Extra Legal Cover worth it ? Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Dulwich Estate Replies: 9

Car Insurance - Extra Legal Cover worth it ? - Dulwich Estate
I'm trawling through fully comp quotes before soon having to make a decision. In the past I haven't hesitated and simply paid the £20 - £25 Legal Assistance Extra. Apparently it's to help with claims against uninsured drivers and to help eventually get back your excess when you were in the right.

Is £25 pa worth it or not ?

My quoted premiums are around the £300 mark so it's less than 10% - but £25 buys a good few beers.
 Car Insurance - Extra Legal Cover worth it ? - Bromptonaut
More information needed; what are you getting for £25 (ie are they all offering the same cover).
 Car Insurance - Extra Legal Cover worth it ? - Bellboy
£25 is dear
mines £10
but ive needed to use mine twice in the last 4 years against other drivers
you phone the legal people up and get the wheels in motion
i honestly would seriously recommend you get this assistance no matter what the cost
This is the sort of thing offered and apparently 66% of punters take it up:

I quote....

"Legal Protection

Up to £100,000 towards costs for trained claims handlers to recover uninsured losses following an accident
For £2.30 a month

Up to £100,000 of cover for help with recovery of losses in the event of a claim

If you have an accident involving your car that is not your fault, you have a right to be able to claim back your uninsured losses from the driver responsible.

Two thirds of all ****** Car Insurance customers choose to include Legal Protection on their policy for us to help them when they need us most.

For just £2.30 a month, our trained claims handlers will work to recover:
Any excess you may be required to pay as part of a claim
Loss of earnings
Compensation for personal injury

With average solicitors’ charges in excess of £100 an hour this policy provides up to £100,000 of cover, and as we specially select solicitors who work to our high service levels you can rest assured that ***** Car Insurance will handle your legal expenses claim properly."

Well I'm soon to be retired so Loss of earnings is of no help. I've got time on my hands and won a couple of Small Claims Court cases in my time. When I was hit by a cyclist pushed into my path by an idiot driver I eventually got a few bob from the driver's insurers.

I can pen a reasonable letter or two so reckon it's waste of beer money.

Unless you know different.

Car Insurance - Extra Legal Cover worth it ? - Bellboy
your choice but a letter from a solicitor compared to a letter from a retired man with time on his hands may be seen in a different light by the person in charge of claims
ie your solicitor acting for you is ramping up the fees per letter and so the costs
you would be ramping up your rate of having a cardiac
 Car Insurance - Extra Legal Cover worth it ? - mikeyb
Its worth looking on the comparison sites - my insurer chucks legal cover in at no charge, so although they appeared to not be cheapest, when factored in they were. Also niticing that the cost can vary quite a bit
 Car Insurance - Extra Legal Cover worth it ? - -
I'd want some legal clout to get things rolling should i get hit by someone who doesn't play by the rules, lies denies everything fails to inform their insurer etc and then later after advice at the Red Lion snug employs some no win no fee claimsRus dodgy handlers with various witnesses that miraculously appeared from nowhere.

Thats the sort of tyke it would be my luck to get hit by if i had no legal cover.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Thu 8 Jul 10 at 22:40
 Car Insurance - Extra Legal Cover worth it ? - Fenlander
>>>I can pen a reasonable letter or two

So can I and I've won some significant cases against building societies and shops. However with the sort of stuff some folks get up to in the car accident/insurance area I happily pay the £10-£20 and leave the legal folks to it.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 9 Jul 10 at 07:58
OK, OK - you've all made the point and no-one in support of my view. The majority opinion prevails. I hadn't appreciated the extent of things the bad guys can get up to.

I'll go ahead, pay up and hope I'll never need use of it.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Fri 9 Jul 10 at 13:15
 Car Insurance - Extra Legal Cover worth it ? - Bromptonaut
Note that the 'up to £100,000' with considrable sceptcism. Would be interesting to know the (a) the frequency of claim (b) the avearge cost of work actually undertaken.

Net transfer of beer money from DE to the insurer.
Latest Forum Posts