Motoring Discussion > Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19   [Read only]
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 103

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - R.P.

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 20*****

Top Gear chat.

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Volume 18 is HERE:-

Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 26 Mar 15 at 01:27

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - henry k
Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson initiated the BBC investigation which prompted his suspension, after he informed BBC bosses of the alleged 'fracas'.

BBC News understands that the star phoned BBC head of television, Danny Cohen, to report the incident.

Producer Oisin Tymon, with whom the altercation took place, is not believed to have filed his own complaint.

Interviews are expected to be held with the star and other parties next week. Top Gear remains off air this weekend.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - VxFan
Sky News interviewed a family who were staying at the same hotel where the fracas occured and "claim" to have overheard Clarkson telling a colleague he would have him (presumably Oisin Tymon) fired because there was no hot food at the end of a day's filming.

news.sky.com/story/1444054/family-clarkson-said-hed-have-colleague-fired

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - Crankcase
London Evening Standard says (or has made up, who knows) that Chris Evans may step into the breach.

>> Chris Evans

Good choice. A petrol head, and he's also previously had chat show experience (TGIF). Albiet being half cut most of the time.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - mikeyb
BBC News understands that the star phoned BBC head of television, Danny Cohen, to report the incident.

Backs up my theory he's trying to get fired.

Evans would be good choice for TG, although not to sure how well he would gel with the other two

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - Dutchie
One comedian for another.) I used to watch Top Gear regularly always enjoyed the show.Clarkson is clever witty and has a big mouth.With all his millions you can only go so far with your luck.

Unless he wants this getting the sack, he can do what he likes.Age his catching up with him it shows.)

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - Runfer D'Hills
How about this for a theory...

Suppose there was a very highly paid television presenter. Suppose he or she was tied into a long term contract. Suppose he or she was quietly offered an even more lucrative deal with another channel but that he or she couldn't accept it under the release terms of their current contract. Suppose he or she made it a caveat that certain members of the current team would also get job offers, for example a junior member who was prepared to corroborate, or at least not actually deny an accusation of gross misconduct committed on them. Suppose their current employer would be faced with no option but to dismiss them.

Suppose that, purely hypothetically of course...

Couldn't happen in real life could it.

How much money does he want? Clarkson must be a multi miljonair and Top Gear is his baby.

They say the more you have the more you want you maybe right Runfer.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - Mr. Ecs
Sorry Runfer, but he's not tied in to a long term contract. It's currently up for renewal, so your theory is out of the water.

www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/chris-evans-replace-jeremy-clarkson-4176402

Oh ok, fair enough.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - rtj70
>> Evans would be good choice for TG

His contract was up at the end of the month wasn't it? Anyway I think Chris Evans would be a good presenter. Also a little bit annoying. But a bit of a petrol head. All cars reviewed would be white Ferraris.

>> Top Gear is his baby.

The rights to the current TG format belong 100% to the BBC since 2012.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - legacylad
JC is now like W.Houston

Neither of them are on top gear any more...

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - Armel Coussine
>> I think Chris Evans would be a good presenter. Also a little bit annoying. But a bit of a petrol head.

If he's who I think he is he's completely unbearable, and I will probably never watch the thing again. He's much worse than annoying.

As for 'petrol heads', ignorant prats who think they like cars are very numerous indeed. Being a 'petrol head' is one of the essential qualifications for being a boring wally. I can't stand the carphounds.

Up early this morning AC? Got a flight to catch to grouchyland ?
Enjoy your weekend

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - Manatee
>> >> I think Chris Evans would be a good presenter. Also a little bit annoying.
>> But a bit of a petrol head.
>>
>> If he's who I think he is he's completely unbearable,

Not just me then:)

I just cannot understand his popularity, he's like the annoying bloke in the pub.

So he should fit in quite well, Evans and Hammond can be annoying together.

I don't really care who stays or goes. What I do want though is for there to continue to be a regular motoring programme or motoring related one on a TV channel you don't have to pay extra for.

There's damn all else to watch unless you're into soap operas, dancing competitions, baking competitions, singing competitions or an insight into the daily lives of people you couldn't have imagined existed in Essex, Chelsea or indeed the moon.

Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 14 Mar 15 at 09:37
Yes, when they have to replace TG expect a format where somebody is eliminated every week. It's the only idea television has had in about 10 years!

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - madf
>> Yes, when they have to replace TG expect a format where somebody is eliminated every
>> week. It's the only idea television has had in about 10 years!
>>

It will of course have to be PC in its choice of presenter.. LBGT .. and PC in its choice of transport - so hybrids and bicycles...And none of this flying off to exotic locations: save the planet.. And no steaks for dinner .....Tofu only.
 Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - BiggerBadderDave
"There's damn all else to watch unless you're into..."

There is tons and tons of fantastic telly. It's just that it's coming from America and it's on the Satellite channels.

Have been watching Netflix for a bit.Some good Danish and Swedish series to watch.Not beholded to the BBC.

The Killing (3 series), Borgen (2 series) and the Bridge (2 series so far) were all on BBC 4 and very good.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - No FM2R
The US "The Bridge" has been cancelled. I was enjoying it as well.

I haven't watched the original Scandinavian version.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 14 Mar 15 at 19:59

My wife's favourite sons of Anarchie we are waiting for the last series.Game of cards was excellent and homeland.The killing also very good.

I used to like watching house top acting.We did go to pictures the other week fifty shade's of gray.
Last edited by: Dutchie on Mon 16 Mar 15 at 09:12

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - WillDeBeest
Game of cards was excellent...

If you enjoyed that you'll love House of Thrones.
};---)

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - J Bonington Jagworth
"It's just that it's coming from America and it's on the Satellite channels."

We don't have Murdochvision, but there's plenty on Youtube. I've enjoyed Jay Leno's stuff and the head-to-heads like this are pretty watchable.

youtu.be/F5F18o8xayA

Intelligent commentary and technical details that never appear on Top Gear!

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - Bromptonaut
Clarkson in sweary tirade against BBC bosses:

www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/20/jeremy-clarkson-foul-mouthed-rant-bbc-top-gear

Quite outspoken at a charity event in London. Expects to be dismissed.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - Roger.
He's wealthy enough not to give a flying copulation.

Pedro Lopez, Jeremy Clarkson's waiter, spills the beans about what really happened the night he punched his producer.

youtu.be/48h-q-FEBSw

(contains swearing)

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - bathtub tom
He's not going to like that.

I did.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - Zero
>>
>> Pedro Lopez, Jeremy Clarkson's waiter, spills the beans about what really happened the night he
>> punched his producer.
>>
>> youtu.be/48h-q-FEBSw
>>
>> (contains swearing)

fantastic

I find Clarkson quite annoying on Top Gear - the programme is in need of a change. But I thoroughly enjoyed his more serious programmes such as the one about Brunel and the Greatest Raid of All Time. Maybe he just needs to do something else.

That video was very funny too.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 20 Mar 15 at 13:10

>> That video was very funny too.

Not nearly as funny as the waiter thought it was. If Clarkson was really 'hitting every f**ker' it's a miracle he didn't flatten the waiter for his strident, shrieking voice and simulated mirth. I would have been strongly tempted, in his place.

>>Not nearly as funny as the waiter thought it was.

AC, did you get that its a wind up? The waiter isn't talking about Clarkson, he is talking about when he had to wash paella dishes at a beach restaurant and thought that throwing them in the sea would work.

Someone else has made up the subtitles. It was also done last year aimed at some English football club or other.

The laughing starts as he talks about how the tide cam in and he lost them, so with two sacks of rice they had to send to another restaurant in Sevilla to get more paella dishes.

It is not a very funny interview, although his appalling Spanish allied with mine doesn't help, and the interviewer is not laughing at the story. He is laughing at, and taking the mick out of, the bloke.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 20 Mar 15 at 14:48

>> Someone else has made up the subtitles.

Doh... my Spanish is poor and I didn't even try to decipher what the guy was saying.

I enjoyed the bit about a waiter wiping Clarkson's face with a bit of oily Parma ham. How sad that it isn't true.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 20 Mar 15 at 14:58
 Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - Slidingpillar
The whole thing is a joke, guy is a professional comedian in a Spanish speaking country.

>> guy is a professional comedian in a Spanish speaking country.

Apparently he is..... I still don't think he's funny though.

Juan Joya Borja

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Risitas

>> I still don't think he's funny though.

I wouldn't know. He comes across as very annoying to me.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - BobbyG
I think this is a pretty good summary of things

blogs.channel4.com/alex-thomsons-view/jeremy-clarkson-bbc-top-gear

It would've been except....

"Unfortunately for Clarkson the apparently powerless one did fight back and exercise his right not to be treated in the way he was."

Well, that's not actually true is it. The "powerless" one stood there and took it and did not report it to his boss. Clarkson reported it.

Now don't get me wrong, assuming the reports we've seen are correct, the poor bloke was bullied by a belligerent Clarkson, so things seem to be going the right way.

And Clarkson only reported it because if he didn't the Daily Mail would have done.

But this was no little man rising against the injustices of the giant.

The whole thing is ridiculous;

Clarkson was abusive towards someone or he was not.

That's it. No petitions needed. No idiotic BBC t***s required. Other than the formal process, this would take about 10 seconds in a company.

To be honest, 10 days in the BBC is not that bad. Best case would be a week. (you have to give people minimum periods etc.)

But this is nothing to do with popularity, its nothing to do with the fact that the BBC is run by a bunch of t***s, its nothing to do with whether or not Top Gear is popular, can survive without Clarkson or anything else.

Its simply this - was his behaviour acceptable in the environment? And that'd be a yes or a no.

What the clueless t***s at the BBC should have done is represented themselves as both the victim and the protector of the other victim.

"We love Jeremy and we've been put in a terrible position, but he slapped / assaulted / whatever a poor defenceless young man so what can we do?"

Finger / bucket of water / Top Gear.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 20 Mar 15 at 19:26

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - Fursty Ferret
I think it's impossible to compare this situation to another company, both in how it was handled and the possible precursors to the event.

Unlike most companies where employees are a necessary evil and, ultimately, a cost, Clarkson brings in a vast amount of money for the BBC. That doesn't excuse what he did, but it makes dealing with him far more difficult. I don't see why other output should suffer if the BBC suddenly has a £300,000,000 black hole in its finances.

Secondly, Clarkson is probably under phenomenal pressure to deliver, and deliver on time. We don't know what's actually going on in his life - he looks a lot older than 54 - and most people find it exceptionally difficult to control their emotions when fatigued. Again, no excuse, but mitigating factors.

And, finally, I notice that Jonathan Ross is still broadcasting for the BBC after he caused far more damage and displayed an appalling and callous lack of judgement in the whole Andrew Sachs affair. If you ask me, that's a deliberate decision to be a knob as opposed to losing control at the end of a long day.

Now, if you'll excuse me, where's my steak?
 Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - Stuartli
>Secondly, Clarkson is probably under phenomenal pressure to deliver, and deliver on time. We don't know what's actually going on in his life - he looks a lot older than 54 - and most people find it exceptionally difficult to control their emotions when fatigued. Again, no excuse, but mitigating factors.>>

You seem to be on the mark:

tinyurl.com/nga7yzb

There are implications;

1) Someone in the future does something similar and the BBC fire them for such behaviour. It goes straight to court and they say this is discrimination or whatever because you didn't fire Clarkson for it.

If its gross misconduct, then you must treat it as such.

2) Someone in the future is a similar victim. They sue BBC because Clarkson not being fired shows that the BBC were tolerating, condoning or endorsing such behaviour and at the least were aware of it.

So if they're going to keep him they need to say, show or prove that he didn't do it. And for that they would need the support of the victim, or they'll get sued by him for tolerating, condoning, etc. etc. Badly.

Ok, that's overly simplistic, but essentially if Clarkson did assault the bloke, I can't see that the BBC have a choice.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - Westpig
From what I can gather in the Press, JC didn't assault the producer, but did let rip with a tirade of abuse inc some choice swear words, fuelled by a few beers after a hard day at work.

If that is so... then it is handbags... and should be treated as such.

However, the modern way in public organisations like the BBC is for a load of people to have a false outrage about it and demand a sacking or formal discipline procedure, which is ridiculous.

He should be told to apologise to the producer and that's that.

If it turns out he did punch someone, contrary to the reports, then fair enough that ups the ante somewhat... however I note the producer did not complain. Nevertheless, no one should have to fear an assault at work.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - Stuartli
Even Piers is now giving Jeremy some support....

tinyurl.com/n8tw2vp

If that's support, then I hope nobody ever offers me anything similar.

"But I do empathise with him, and I hope he sorts himself out"

The implication being that he needs to "sort himself out" and that there is something to be sorted.

Perhaps he does and there is, but that is not a supportive comment. That's a patronising, superior comment as used by a couple of Headmasters I remember.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - Lygonos
>>That's a patronising, superior comment

Preceded by "I do empathise with him", perhaps suggests Morgan sees his own past events echoed in Clarkson, and having presumably already 'sorted his own mess out' isn't simply a snide remark.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sun 22 Mar 15 at 21:59

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - mikeyb
>> From what I can gather in the Press, JC didn't assault the producer, but did
>> let rip with a tirade of abuse inc some choice swear words, fuelled by a
>> few beers after a hard day at work.
>>
>> If that is so... then it is handbags... and should be treated as such.

I thought the chap was alleged to have needed hospital treatment? Doubt we will really know what happened

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - Old Navy
The TG live show in Norway has been cancelled.

tinyurl.com/pg3ames

>> From what I can gather in the Press, JC didn't assault the producer, but did
>> let rip with a tirade of abuse inc some choice swear words, fuelled by a
>> few beers after a hard day at work.
>>
>> If that is so... then it is handbags... and should be treated as such.

As somebody on HJ used to say - Hmmmmm.

On the one hand 'sticks and stones' etc and you're right it's just handbags.

On the other:

One person is an employee on say £30k pa. If he's lucky he's on a permanent contract (ie what you or I regarded as normal) but maybe only fixed term.

Clarkson is a 'star' on ten or twenty times that and worth much, much more to the corporation or a rival.

So it's handbags except that Clarkson's handbag is filled with a hundredweight of lead shot.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 22 Mar 15 at 22:21

>> Clarkson is a 'star' on ten or twenty times that

And maybe more. Although he sold the rights to the current TG format to the BBC so he probably no longer gets money for TG USA, TG Australia, TG France, TG China, etc.

Presumably he will get fees for repeats of shows he co-presented forever.

Bromp, I don't think that whether or not it was assault, whether or not it should be pursued, and whether or not action should be taken should really depend on comparing their incomes.

If its wrong, its wrong. If its not wrong, its not wrong. I don't see how money comes into it.
>> I don't think that whether or not it was assault, whether or not it should be pursued,
>> and whether or not action should be taken should really depend on comparing their incomes.

I agree if it is wrong it is wrong. With respect to JC and the BBC.... nothing to do with income for individuals. He has made himself and the BBC a lot of money with Top Gear. I hope that does influence the outcome.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - swiss tony
>> He has made himself and the BBC a lot of money with Top Gear. I hope that does influence the outcome.
>>

What?
So if someone is rich, and earns a lot of money for a company they should be treated differently to a mere worker??

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - Old Navy
>> What?
>> So if someone is rich, and earns a lot of money for a company they
>> should be treated differently to a mere worker??
>>

I agree, but we know that with money and influence you can get away with almost anything. If one of us was involved in a similar incedent with someone of influence we would be awaiting a court appearance.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 23 Mar 15 at 07:38
Nothing to do with money directly, but the difference in position, status and power is relevant.

Sadly it isn't rare for powerful people to be tyrants, but it is out of order at work. Handbags between peers is one thing; ranting at and threatening people who are likely to feel they can't answer back is bullying.
>> Nothing to do with money directly, but the difference in position, status and power is
>> relevant.

Power gradient was the buzz phrase I was trying to avoid.

>> I hope that does influence the outcome.

I left out the not. I hope money does not influence this.

Top gear has reached the end of its life, Clarkson has become a boring annoying parody of himself.

I wont miss either of them, please close the door quietly as you leave.
 Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - Harleyman

>> I wont miss either of them, please close the door quietly as you leave.
>>

Some hope of that.

>> If its wrong, its wrong. If its not wrong, its not wrong. I don't see
>> how money comes into it.

Not saying it's right but realistically.......
 Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - DP
The more I think about this, the more I suspect the entire thing is deliberate. Clarkson is sick of the BBC and what better way to get other channels sniffing around (as rumours are they have) and interested in a potential successor to Top Gear in whatever format that may take, than raise this media hoo-hah? In one stroke you have a feeler for public opinion, a raft of quite frankly unbuyable publicity, and other channels instantly sniffing around as they get a whiff of big bucks to be earned. We are being played, and successfully too I might add.
Last edited by: DP on Mon 23 Mar 15 at 21:23

I doubted it started deliberately, but I'm sure it has since been managed with a plan by Clarkson.

I would be very surprised if the BBC were managing anything under the covers. Aside from being a bit dull, they leak like a sieve.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 23 Mar 15 at 21:31

Couldn't the BBC fudge the whole thing by just not renewing his contract, which expires in a few days anyway? No sacking, just a decision not to continue the relationship?

So there we are. Not back to the studio then.

End of an era.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11493270/Jeremy-Clarkson-to-be-sacked-by-the-BBC.html

Clarksons tirade was 20 minutes? Jeez I bet that got boring as well for the last 15.
>> www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11493270/Jeremy-Clarkson-to-be-sacked-by-the-BBC.html

He's not yet 55 but looks nearer 70 in first pic of that article.

Is that what smoking does or you?
>> Is that what smoking does or you?

It seems to be in his case.

Shame abd the BBC will live to regret the way they handled the matter I suspect.

However, for Clarkson, his involvement with Top Gear ended with a bang when he and it were mostly still at the top of their game and that is what will be remembered.

Perhaps better that than gradually fading out with ever dwindling popularity.

Chris Evans however, is really, really irritating so it won't be attracting me as a viewer if that goes ahead.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - CGNorwich
Actually ii think Chris Evans would be rather good. He has matured in recent a years and is an intelligent guy. Far changed from this early Radio One persona

Well, to be fair, it was that early Radio 1 personality which irrotated so much.

I haven't lostened to him in years so perhaps he's changed style.

James Corden mayhaps....

(Swearies - you have been warned)

tinyurl.com/mws3s5x

>> James Corden mayhaps....
>>

Lord NO! Hate him. he is more self opinionated than Clarkson.
Indeed - he inhabits the 'Chris Moyles' folder of celebs-to-be-shunned.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 24 Mar 15 at 23:46
 Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - swiss tony
>> Indeed - he inhabits the 'Chris Moyles' folder of celebs-to-be-shunned.
>>

And almost as fat...

True fact: Corden lived in a flat above a Greggs, soon after he moved out the Greggs closed...

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - Duncan
Hasn't James Corden just started some American TV chat show host job thing?

Or was I not paying proper attention again?
Last edited by: Duncan on Wed 25 Mar 15 at 07:31

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - Focusless
>> Hasn't James Corden just started some American TV chat show host job thing?

Yes - that's what FM2R is referring to below. Appears to have done ok:
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3008853/James-Corden-portrays-unknown-Brit-Late-Late-debut-Jay-Leno-waterboards-preparation-audience-worked-them.html
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 25 Mar 15 at 07:38

>>>> Hasn't James Corden just started some American TV chat show host job thing?
>>Yes - that's what FM2R is referring to below. Appears to have done ok:

Just finished watching it.

Toe-curling and cringeworthy. Especially when he sang at the end. Forced pretend laughing/shrieking from Corden, contrived conversation and singing flat.

The US may like it, good luck to them, I thought it was b***** awful, even though I wanted it to be good.

As a presenter of motoring videos and road tests, I like Chris ( Monkey) Harris. But that's not what TG is about.

I only saw Corden once, in a documentary/ interview with Gary Barlow. I rather liked both of them.

Mind you I am just about to watch the Late Late Show from last night.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 25 Mar 15 at 00:04

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - Harleyman

>> I haven't listened to him in years so perhaps he's changed style.
>>

He hasn't. Still an annoying twerp.

Well fret not, as this morning Mr Evans has categorically said he's not doing it.

Well shortly before 10am this morning Jezza tweeted that he hasn't heard a thing.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32048660

"The Daily Telegraph reported that the star would be dropped after an internal investigation concluded he had attacked a producer on the show."

Why was an internal investigation required when Clarkson himself openly admitted the "fracas" to the Beeb?

It's also been reported that the BBC are to pilot a new motoring programme dubbed "The Getaway Car", but they are saying that it's not being lined up as a replacement for the embattled BBC2 show Top Gear

www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/bbc1-pilots-motoring-format/5085451.article

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 19 - Slidingpillar
Why was an internal investigation required when Clarkson himself openly admitted the "fracas" to the Beeb?

I am not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure you'd lay yourself wide open to an unfair dismissal charge if you sacked someone in those circumstances. Hence the proper investigation etc.

Quite a few unfair dismissal charges stick simply for no better reason than the employer has not followed the correct procedure despite it being quite simple and easily understood.

BBC is not renewing his contarct

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32052736
Last edited by: henry k on Wed 25 Mar 15 at 14:04

>>Jeremy Clarkson's contract will not be renewed

Well, probably a sensible outcome, but I hope they've checked with their lawyers. Because what will they do next time? Simply allow someone's contract to expire?

Of course, there may well be other stuff/arrangements not mentioned. I wonder if his whole connection with the BBC will lapse, or just his Top Gear contract.

Equally I imagine that he has some level of non-compete at the expiry of his contract, so allowing it to run out rather than cancelling it will probably allow those terms, whatever they are, to stand.

Whether or not Hammond and May wish to continue, they may struggle to do so. The mix of the three personalities was what made it work, not any one of them individually. Their screen personae may not work as well with a different character.

Assuming that the three of them genuinely get on, then I should think most likely is that they will show up somewhere else together.

BBC reporting that James May's site been updated to say " ex Top Gear Presenter."

>>North Yorkshire police have asked to see the BBC's internal report, saying it will be
>>"assessed appropriately and action will be taken... where necessary".

Timewasting idiots. Clearly no important crime in North Yorkshire occurring.

>> >>North Yorkshire police have asked to see the BBC's internal report, saying it will be
>>
>> >>"assessed appropriately and action will be taken... where necessary".
>>
>> Timewasting idiots. Clearly no important crime in North Yorkshire occurring.

Maybe, but if i punched someone at work I would be worrying about being charged with some form of assault.

I thought this was rather good. A week or so old now, but I only just saw it. His description of Cohen and his ilk is spot on.

Don’t dump my mate Clarkson
AA Gill
Sunday Times 15/3/2015

The first I heard of it was when the editor of Channel 4 News texted to ask if I could go on that night to talk about Jeremy Clarkson. “What’s he done now?” I tapped back. When you consider what Clarkson might do, there is a brain-clogging Milky Way of possibilities. Played rugger with a hedgehog? Called Cretans cretins? Made hatchbacks have gay sex? For a moment I thought he might have keeled over, because that is not beyond the bounds either. I looked online, he was still with us and there was the “fracas”. As a follow-up to declaring war on Argentina, pushing a producer over the temperature of dinner is a bit of an anti-climax. But while the BBC can forgive enraging, sovereign neighbours, frac-arsing about among their employees is a hang-em-out-to-dry offence. The next day, walking down my street, half a dozen folk — the butcher, the French cheese seller, a couple of lads outside a cafe, the woman in the newsagent — stopped me to ask about “your mate Clarkson”. They spoke of him not in the abstract way of a 12in high clowning character on TV but as a man they liked and felt they knew — and that is a rare thing.

Last time I checked, the bring-back-Clarkson petition was getting close to 1m signatories. That is more people than are signed up to stop female genital mutilation, although I must say that the two things are not necessarily comparable. I must declare an interest: Clarkson is a mate. We have worked together on this paper for 22 years and known each other for well over 30. So, what should happen next?

JEREMY reported the incident. It was over the absence of hot food at the end of a long and frustrating day with the prospect of another early start in the morning. The producer, Oisin Tymon, had not made a complaint. Jeremy called Danny Cohen, the director of BBC television, directly and explained he had lost his rag. Sources close to Top Gear say the reasons were that he wanted to apologise and make an amend, not least for the sake of the hundreds of people standing by to carry on with the rest of the show. Cohen had a choice: to do the right thing or the bureaucratic thing, but at the BBC no good intention goes unquestioned. The complaints procedure is Jesuitical in its sanctimony and Kafkaesque in its complexity. The BBC suspended Clarkson and called a preposterous and ponderous investigation.

A BBC film producer called me to say that if incidents like this on film and TV locations around the world were all reported in the press, there would be no room for any other news. People work long hours with a great deal of stress, and small things — almost invariably food — are tetchy tripwires. Whatever did happen, in mitigation to Jeremy, nobody works harder or under more stress than he. Those who say, “Well, he’s just a presenter” have no idea how much of Top Gear is down to him. The new format was created by Jeremy and his old school friend Andy Wilman, the producer. Jeremy does not just present: he comes up with the ideas, he also writes the scripts. All those jokes and that banter are not off-the-cuff wit.

When the cast of the programme’s previous incarnation left to take up a more profitable offer from Channel 5, Clarkson stayed with the corporation. I remember we talked about it at the time. In the end, he just liked the idea of public service broadcasting. The BBC meant something. Jeremy has, in Wilman’s phrase, had an annus horribilis. His mother died, he has had a number of not entirely self-inflicted health concerns, and he has continued with an absurdly punishing round of public appearances, writing and film making, all of it compounded with the not unreasonable feeling that he is working for the enemy. At The Sunday Times, he and I work for a big corporation. But there is a sense that if things get lairy then the editor and management would stand by us. At the BBC, some of Jeremy’s colleagues have treated him as a liability. Not just failed to appreciate him but briefed against him while taking the hundreds of millions his talent earns them and using his image and Top Gear to promote themselves around the world. As some wit texted, if you remove the top guy, you are left with Hammond and May, rather like the Conservative party. The BBC owns the rights to Top Gear but without Clarkson it really is an empty coat.

Of course it is not everyone at the BBC who is embarrassed and ungrateful to Jeremy. I have had a stream of Tristrams call me in the small hours — strictly off-the-record — to let me know that there are fans of Top Gear in the building and that the DG (director-general) is onside. They are ashamed of the BBC’s timid reaction to anything it thinks will upset the Daily Mail or will not sit well with The Guardian. The biggest, most damaging and telling overreaction is not his suspension or the calling of a grand star chamber inquiry, it is the cancelling of the next three Top Gears. This confirms how ruinously the corporation has lost contact with its audience. The three remaining shows did not belong to Clarkson. Nor did they belong to the BBC. They belonged to what they would call stakeholders and the rest of us would call “us” — licence fee-payers. We have already forked out for them: it is our money. Not showing them as part of some internal, disciplinary spat is in arrant disregard for the viewers.

All this is down to one man: Cohen, the director of television. This is a bone he cannot stop picking at. Cohen is a man of committed, right-on, social interventionist, politically precise principles. Everything he stands for is diametrically opposed to everything he imagines Jeremy stands for. Cohen is one of a cabal within the BBC who think broadcasting has a mission to guide, nudge and encourage society to be better: that it should promote, wherever possible, a broadly homogenous, inclusive, positive, left-of-centre perspective on the world. And, more important, expunge contrary or unsuitable views. No format should be excused being proactively on message.

I would guess that Cohen sees this as new Reithism. That as a nation’s broadcaster the BBC has a duty to manipulate the country through information, education and entertainment. Top Gear is the antithesis of everything he would want to broadcast. It is white, overweight, middle-aged, banterish, polluting, coarse, middle-class and insensitive. The funny thing is that television is full of people who are reactionary and incorrect: all of Steve Coogan’s creations; Alf Garnett; half the characters in EastEnders. But they do not mean it. Back in the green room, they return to being nice, Guardian-reading fellow travellers. Jeremy is the same off as he is on, which, in no small measure, is why he is so popular. Cohen appears not to want to make programmes with Jeremy or for Top Gear’s audience. The BBC has given up on football, it makes no non- metropolitan male programmes. It would like to dismiss this audience altogether as being Ukip voters; dinosaurs who should be left to die out listening to Radio 4.

But actually the audience is mostly teenage boys, exactly the people the BBC needs to attract if it is ever to justify a future charter and the licence fee. The BBC has to make programmes for all licence holders, not simply the ones it approves of. And because of the impending licence fee and charter negotiations, some have suggested it would be better to dump Clarkson and Top Gear. The reverse is the truth: if the BBC cannot show that it is serving the nation as a whole, then it will be told to go and get subscriptions or donations from those who want to watch it, and it will become like PBS in America. This is a bellwether crisis, not for Jeremy but for the BBC’s ability to manage its talent. I have been told that Cohen rather enjoys the reflected spotlight of his inquisition of Top Gear but he should be in no doubt that its personal nature leaves many in the BBC to doubt his judgment. Clarkson is not the only person whose job is on the line.

What Jeremy does next is pretty much anything that comes into his head which is, again, part of his manifest attraction. But if he walks or is pushed then the only thing Cohen will ever be remembered for is as the man who lost Top Gear. Cohen once said, pointedly, that no one was bigger than the corporation but the truth is broader than that. Plainly no one person is bigger than auntie but the BBC is only three letters without its people or its audience. While there are bewildering, bloated layers of executives, commissioners, blue sky thinkers, strategic planners and compliance officers, their existence relies on a handful of directors, editors, technicians and the talent. And they are all looking to see what happens to Clarkson. I have never seen a moment when the BBC appeared so riven with false certainties, such paranoid insecurities and a desperate, white-knuckle political righteousness.

small things - almost invariably food - are tetchy tripwires.

Hunger is worse than mere fatigue when you're travelling. I once lost my temper and misbehaved somewhere like Cairo or Algiers airport when starving (although in my case there was no food at all, not even a sandwich to keep the wolf from the door).

The locals smirked snootily and a bit grimly, identifying me immediately as the spoiled European brat I was.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 25 Mar 15 at 16:10

>> with the rest of the show. Cohen had a choice: to do the right thing
>> or the bureaucratic thing, but at the BBC no good intention goes unquestioned. The complaints
>> procedure is Jesuitical in its sanctimony

Sacking someone for a 20 minute foul mouthed tirade, and a punch in the mouth over the lack of hoot food is not Jesuitical.

One wonders what crap AA gill thinks he should get away with just because he is famous. He would soon be whining and demanding someones head if he got a smack in the mouth.

from James May's twitter account
"Former TV presenter only remembered for saying 'Oh cock'. Or was that the other bloke?"

Richard Hammond @RichardHammond
· 9 mins 9 minutes ago
Gutted at such a sad end to an era. We're all three of us idiots in our different ways but it's been an incredible ride together.

Will they reappear on another UK channel?

Last edited by: henry k on Wed 25 Mar 15 at 15:31

If you've not seen the full statement, it's here (and other places of course)

transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2015/03/25/bbc-releases-statement-on-clarkson/

Top Gear - devonite
Well, He's gone! - Will it make much difference for you?

Must say I rather enjoyed some of his "pops" at Authority, and inadvertent gaffe's, don't think TG will be as good with different Presenters!

Top Gear - Westpig
>> Well, He's gone! - Will it make much difference for you?
>>
>> Must say I rather enjoyed some of his "pops" at Authority, and inadvertent gaffe's, don't
>> think TG will be as good with different Presenters!
>>

I think it's a great shame....but if he split someone's lip then there was a degree of inevitability.

Top Gear - Boxsterboy
It is sad.

But what I find amazing are the reports on the BBC website that the victim of JC's assault went to hospital. Because he had a split lip. Jeezus, no wonder A&E departments are stretched if people go to hospital with a split lip!!

Top Gear - BobbyG
Wonder what the other two's contract details were? Does it state they only have a job if JC is there?
Can they sue JC for costing them their jobs?

PS Actually who cares!!

Top Gear - Runfer D'Hills
I expect they'll all turn up somewhere. Together, or as individuals. I don't suppose any of them will be short of next months rent just yet.

Top Gear - R.P.
James May is perfectly good doing programmes on his own.

Top Gear - R.P.
The mainly female membership of a Guy Martin site want him on the programme, He would add a certain something.
I like the Guy Martin idea. And for some other Martin based thoughts, James Martin and Martin Clunes also spring to mind. In no particular order.

Indeed, and Hammond is a good DJ. He's done a few R2 holiday fill in slot type things quite well in my opinion.

Top Gear - rtj70
>> Indeed, and Hammond is a good DJ.

He was a radio DJ before he got the TG presenting job.

I think they have all done good programmes besides TG. And they will all probably continue to do so.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 25 Mar 15 at 20:28

Latest Forum Posts