Motoring Discussion > Big dog's botty of a weekend ! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 17

Big dog's botty of a weekend ! - Ted

Not our Perro.....thanks for the 17 emails, by the way. Record for me in a day ! All good though !

No...Friday the 13th..guess what.....I got made redundant from my free-lance, part time job.
Company is being sold and all contractors will not be used in future I was going to put my ticket in for January 2nd next year anyway...a few days after my 70th. Still, there's a bottle of Malt from my manager on the way...he has a company credit card. I just hope his job's safe, he has a family to support and he's a great guy....in spite of being a Yorkshireman ! I hope the kids in the office survive but I'm sure there'll be some duplication of staff.

Saturday, I finished the brakes on the SiL's Voyager and bled the system. Then City lost, bah !

Sunday we were due to go for meal at Daughter's so I thought I'd road test the Voyager and take it back when we went. Brakes were fine, even had a handbrake of sorts but on the road test I hit a big effoff pothole and burst a back tyre. I had to drive about 50 yds to park safely.

I looked at it and decided to go home and come back with my trolley jack and tools. I was by a tram stop, only one away from home and I had my bus pass. Got home , had a coffee and set off back in the Vitara with all the kit. On the way I decided to check the spare, which was under the car, and if it was blown up I'd call the rescue to change it. It was and I did. 40 minutes later Britannia arrived...I'd said a service van would do the job. Big mistake on my part. The spare has the usual wind-down bolt in the boot floor but that operates a cable...like a mini crane, and it was all seized and rusty. No chance !

What a stupid bit of kit..exposed to all the salt and crud on the roads !

We tried a pump but the tyre was goosed so my man with the spanners sent for a slide back to take it home. He arrived in 20 mins and I'd driven the car a bit further down the road to give him a bit more room. Off we went and the damn thing's in the drive now awaiting my attention tomorrow......well, I've no career now, so plenty of free time !
 Big dog's botty of a weekend ! - Westpig
How irritating.

Did you buy a lottery ticket, your luck must change soon.
 Big dog's botty of a weekend ! - Duncan
>>
>> Not our Perro.....thanks for the 17 emails, by the way. Record for me in a
>> day ! All good though !
>>
>> No...Friday the 13th..guess what.....I got made redundant from my free-lance, part time job.
>> Company is being sold and all contractors will not be used in future

Is the new company going to use a similar operating style?

Will this apply across the country?

You may recall that several months ago you told me what you and your company do, as I was interested in a part-time job. I didn't take it any further though.

Sorry for late reply..Duncan. Just come on. I don't know what's going to happen at all, my man said he didn't know properly and it was all a bit hush-hush until the deal was done. I'll let you know when I do...If I do. If it's the same set-up I might think about offering my services again...it fills up my holiday and weekend away coffers a bit

There's nothing else really I want to do...I've done voluntary but i don't want to commit to regular hours now. I've been on an ' on-call ' basis for the last few years...if they ring...I go out. Has suited me fine !

I think I'll just mess around here...the Jowett and the railway need attention, the house needs painting and there's always the garden.

I took the wheel off the Chrysler this morning and took it round to Ronnie's Rubbers where he fitted me a good pre-loved tyre for £30. Backed it up on my ramps after coffee to look at the spare. No chance...the mechanism for lowering it is between the wheel and the boot floor. No access with the wheel stuck up there. So...out with the angle grinder and removed the visible bits of the part that stuck through the centre hole and held it.

It fell onto me after a bit...good job it was a space saver and not the half hundredweight that the road wheels seem to be. The ' winching ' mechanism is hidden by a steel plate bolted under the floor. I'm sure we can get that off and weld up a replacement for the bit I had to cut....if we can get the mechanism working. If so, plenty of grease will be shoved up it. That can wait for now and the spare can live in the boot for now.

Enough already !
 Big dog's botty of a weekend ! - Falkirk Bairn
What did your company do? /what did you do?

Nearly 70 and still working!

I found getting a job from 50 onwards tricky.
Employed until 2 weeks b4 my 60th and just retired.

Looked upon the next 5 years as an investment in leisure
as you never know when your ticket will be up.
 Big dog's botty of a weekend ! - Runfer D'Hills
All very fine if you've got a pension...

:-(
 Big dog's botty of a weekend ! - Old Navy
Its a pity you don't own the LEC, you could have floged it and funded the first couple of weeks of your retirement. :)
 Big dog's botty of a weekend ! - Zero
>> All very fine if you've got a pension...
>>
>> :-(

Aye, tis a grand place to be, I can recommend it.
>> I found getting a job from 50 onwards tricky.
>> Employed until 2 weeks b4 my 60th and just retired.

So did I, I was well naive, I thought my previous public service and recent management experience would count for something...e.g office manager type job.

I even got paper sifted for a plain old 15K admin job in Devon and Cornwall police??? Not sure how I achieved that, but I did.

I got some interesting feedback from a manager in a company that manages what used to be council housing stock. I applied for an office manager's job with his outfit.. and at the same time a good friend of mine who had this chap as a customer and knows him well personally recommended me to him and told him my background... manager told my mate ' he sounds ideal, i'll keep an eye out for him'.

Well paper sifted again... and I thought oh well, that's that. Couple of weeks later, my mate rang out of the blue, the manager had contacted him and said ' tell your mate I apologise, I never saw his application or CV, God knows what system our HR use, but it's beyond my control'.
 Big dog's botty of a weekend ! - WillDeBeest
Avoid employing unlucky people by discarding half the applications unopened. (Not my joke but I like it.)

I can understand the police admin one. Overqualified people can be as much of a headache to manage as the utterly clueless.
 Big dog's botty of a weekend ! - rtj70
Years ago I was involved in some interviews. One chap's CV had us laughing/smiling before he turned up. I know that's not professional.

This was for an IT consultant type position - he had on his CV details about swimming badges as a child, his Scouting achievements and having worked for Chucky Chicken (something like that). His CV/application should have been sifted by the recruitment agency. We had to interview him because it was scheduled for that afternoon

Other recruitment events were run better I can tell you. To get my initial job here (I've been here a while!) I had to do a 2 day assessment centre to get a grad job. Fun/enjoyable but hard work.

>> This was for an IT consultant type position - he had on his CV details
>> about swimming badges as a child, his Scouting achievements and having worked for Chucky Chicken
>> (something like that). His CV/application should have been sifted by the recruitment agency. We had
>> to interview him because it was scheduled for that afternoon

Thanks. Good advice.

Memo to self.."Get rid of 'chucky chicken' previous experience".
 Big dog's botty of a weekend ! - rtj70
My point - not clearly made - is some get through to interview without experience, qualification, merit etc. In your case this is not the case and I think it unfair.
>> I can understand the police admin one. Overqualified people can be as much of a
>> headache to manage as the utterly clueless.
>>

Exactly what my wife said.

If i'm honest though, I don't get it. Why wouldn't they want the knowledge and experience? They'd be getting it well cheap.

If someone like that kept people on their toes and kept up the quality...the problem is?
 Big dog's botty of a weekend ! - Bromptonaut
I'm in much same position WP. Tried for admin jobs in schools particularly but sifted sans explanation.

OTOH as a CAB volunteer I'm getting a lot of positive feedback.
 Big dog's botty of a weekend ! - NortonES2
Ruffling of feathers? You might be discreet and not undermine (by overt competence etc) an established order, but how could they tell?
 Big dog's botty of a weekend ! - spamcan61
>> Ruffling of feathers? You might be discreet and not undermine (by overt competence etc) an
>> established order, but how could they tell?
>>

That's my theory, having been sifted in similar situations.

Bairn...The firm is a car share club with cars and vans on the streets in several major cities. I was already retired when an old colleague contacted me. He was now fleet manager of the club and wanted a ' friendly pensioner ' to look after their interests in Manchester.

I thought I'd give it a whirl so it was a yes. The job was on a ' turn out as needed ' basis. Anything from re-booting an entry system, sorting a flat tyre, moving an out of place car or dealing with battery alerts.....anything. Latterly I was taking cars for service, waiting for them whilst reading their paper, drinking their coffee and watching their telly. What's not to like about that ?

Voyager update. Took it back to SiL's today...about 8 miles. The clutch failed half way. I was blocking the road. 4 workmen shoved it round the corner for me and my lad came and towed it to SiL's with me. Not a job I'm willing to do now..so it'll cost him at the local garage. He later, after a lot of swearing, told me he thought it had been failing last year !
Latest Forum Posts