Motoring Discussion > Car merry go round Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 34

Car merry go round - legacylad
Strange, but several friends have all changed vehicles in the past few weeks. My bro swapped his Legacy estate for a Zafira, another his Legacy saloon for a Golf estate, a Pug MPV for an Octavia estate, a 307 for a Golf, an SLK for an E class cabrio. And another is considering what to replace his Tiguan with. It must be the idea of Spring around the corner.
Yet here I am, someone who used to change his car every 4/6 months many years ago, keeping the 330 soft top after 7 years of ownership. Although I do keep getting tempted, but cannot bring myself to do the deed.
 Car merry go round - Runfer D'Hills
Well, you probably know this anyway, but from my own experience of having had most categories of car over the years, once you've had a "nice" estate car it's really difficult to think of anything else that ticks so many boxes concurrently.

From what you've told us of your wants and needs, I think you're more or less on the money with some form of 3 series Touring.

Good to drive, quick with the right engine and practical into the bargain.

I guess it's about having the patience to wait until the right one to suit your preferences and budget comes along and being prepared to leap at it when it does.

In the meanwhile, you can still take comfort in the fact that you already have something you enjoy and which is more than nice with the summer approaching.

I wouldn't over think it to be honest. Something will just feel right on the day in due course.
Quite so. If a 330 Touring came along in the spec I would like, then I'm pretty sure I would make a purchase. Still unconvinced about a 330D given ny low annual miles, but the petrol is rare as hens teeth, and a 328 would not be the same. I came very close to ordering a new 5 Dr GTI with the exact spec I wanted, and I won't compromise, but ultimately baulked at spending that much.
"What's for ye won't go by ye." As one of my Scots Aunties used to say. I think I know what she meant...

;-)
 Car merry go round - Westpig
>> "What's for ye won't go by ye." As one of my Scots Aunties used to
>> say. I think I know what she meant...

I'm halfheartedly thinking of getting something, but honestly don't know what to have.

I'd really like a Jag Sportbrake, but really don't want to spend upwards of £20K for the cheapest that's about at the moment, there's too much needs doing in the house to justify that sort of money.

520d Tourer?.....maybe, but don't want runflats and don't want a harsh or firm ride, I want more comfort than that.

A6 Avant.... maybe, nice car, but the facelift version is still well over £16K secondhand, so might as well wait for Sportbrake's to drop in price and the older version is too dated for me.

E Class est........same thoughts as A6 Avant

C Class est...... looking much more likely, but need to see what space the boot has (3 series and A4 Avant are too small in the boot area).

Anyone got or has access to a newish C Class est?

My current plan is to wait 12 -15 months and see what I could get a Sportbrake for then.
I'm going to say you should look at a Mondeo then ( obviously )

But keep your head down because any minute now someone else is going to say "Skoda Superb"

Just be nice !

;-))
 Car merry go round - Old Navy
Is the Superb a reskinned A4 or A6 ?

:-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 30 Mar 15 at 16:18
It's a fat Passat.
 Car merry go round - commerdriver
Colleague of mine had a Superb a year or two back, no idea how it was to drive but the loadspace was very impressive both in size and variable configuration.

Car merry go round - WillDeBeest
'Fat' is the wrong word, Humph; it's long but surprisingly slim, making it a great four-seater but not really wide enough for five. Good luggage space too; a better estate car than the overrated V70. Nice to drive, too - the slimness and big windows help in traffic - and more characterful than the dreadful, dreary Passat.

Dopey dealer in Reading should really have tried harder to sell us one. Perhaps they were walking out by themselves and he didn't need us.
They all come from the same parts bin.
Some are closer than others
 Car merry go round - Westpig
>> I'm going to say you should look at a Mondeo then ( obviously )
>>
>> But keep your head down because any minute now someone else is going to say
>> "Skoda Superb"

Mondeo is too much of a sea of plastic.

I like Skodas. Trouble is VW limit the toys and trim levels etc. I thought about a newish shape Passat...but wouldn't have a DSG gearbox if you paid me.

I want something 'nice'...whatever that is... I don't even really know myself..apart from the Sportbrake.

What a strange position to be in.
 Car merry go round - Dog
>>Mondeo is too much of a sea of plastic.

You could always get some plastic fence panels to go with it.

:o}
>> What a strange position to be in.
>>
Not really, I have had a new car every 3-4 years since the seventies (company car man) for the last, I guess, 5 or 6 times the decision has been between a lot of basically good cars, I do not really believe there are that many bad cars out there any more in any class or style.
I cannot honestly say that if I had a random car from my 5 or 6 vehicle short list each time that I would have been particularly unhappy.
 Car merry go round - Duncan
>> A6 Avant.... maybe, nice car, but the facelift version is still well over £16K secondhand,
>> so might as well wait for Sportbrake's to drop in price and the older version
>> is too dated for me.
>>
>> E Class est........same thoughts as A6 Avant

There's a few on here that have got LECs, me included.

Perhaps one of them could be persuaded to part with theirs if you ask nicely. Well, it would be a bit cheaper than MB main dealers!

No?
My airport taxi diesel isn't slow but would feel it after a 330. Anyway, isn't an LEC too big for LL and his regular passengers? A C ought to be big enough; it has more room than a 3 Touring.
 Car merry go round - Duncan
>> My airport taxi diesel isn't slow but would feel it after a 330. Anyway, isn't
>> an LEC too big for LL and his regular passengers? A C ought to be
>> big enough; it has more room than a 3 Touring.
>>

LL? Legacylad?

I thought it was Westpig that was looking?

Or have I been skim reading again?
No, you're right: it's LL's thread but the suggestions were for WP. At least a Mercedes or a Mondeo would let him say he had 'an estate car'; I don't think I could say 'Sportbrake' without cringing.
I began the thread by simply stating that a few of my friends had changed their cars in the past few weeks.
Personally, I have been thinking of changing my 330 soft top these past few years. Practical reasons. Elderly relatives and hitching up the trailer is becoming a chore, mainly because it is kept a few miles away. A decent 5 door hatch is sufficient for my needs. A LEC is too large for my requirements. And I want to purchase outright because I may be spending prolonged periods overseas these next few years, so I might want to sell at short notice. By purchasing privately, or ex lease, my depreciation costs would be fewer.
Well, now you have introduced the "might want to sell at short notice" factor, I think I'd suggest the 330d as being a stronger contender. I know you favour the petrol one but, for the time being anyway, I'd guess the diesel would find a buyer more quickly and might ( I don't know really I'm guessing ) might hold its value better?

But of course I could be wrong, it's just my amateur viewpoint.

A 330d will still go like a scalded cat. Just more frugally.
I have been told, by two mechanics I trust, one of whom is a former BMW 'technician', that the 330 petrol is far more reliable in the long term. Especially important should I buy at 3 yo with no warranty. Oh, and they both said avoid the 335 petrol at all costs. The non turbo 330 petrol is very old school, under stressed and simple to work on.
Oh ok.
 Car merry go round - Lygonos
Skoda Superb?

Stick some fartcans on it obviously:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw1x8ZQ0VaE
Sounds nice, but I do like the straight six, especially when it nears the red line. Which isn't very often. If I could get that engine in a smaller Octavia......
 Car merry go round - MD
2K. CASH..................of course. :)
Think the Superb 3.6 V6 is only available with DSG. Won't touch that with a barge pole.

Oh, I see MD has just made me a nice offer for my 18'' alloys and newish set of Michelin Alpins.
Muchas gracias. Appreciated. But no.
 Car merry go round - MD
Hi LL. Are they winter ALPINS?
Not specifically, although they have the snowflake symbol. I leave them on all year. They excel in the wet, are quiet, durable, are properly speed rated ( for insurance purposes they must be rated to 155mph) and on the few occasions I have used them in snow, have been amazing. They don't turn the RWD BMW into a Landcruiser, but allow me to get past my neighbours who are stuck at the bottom of the hill in their FWDs on normal tyres. They important thing is not to get over confident. Know their, and the cars, limits.
 Car merry go round - No FM2R
>>They don't turn the RWD BMW into a Landcruiser

I use "All Terrain" tyres on the Landcruisers. They work pretty well offroad and on dry roads. On wet tarmac roads though they're a laugh a minute. One learns to take it gently around town since it seems to be slow speed turning which they're so bad at. Fortunately it rains rarely.

I haven't noticed any particular noise from them, certainly not compared to the mud tyres on the Dodge Ram, but they do have a vague feel of vibration to them. The Freeways here are 120kph (74mph ish) and that's the most the cars ever see.

The summer is over now, but its still low 30s degrees, the A/Ts stay on all the time and seem to be fine. I can't think I'd ever bother changing for the summer. The tyres run from +35c to -10c ish, and from sea level to about 14,000ft.

What they do is make an unbelievable amount of difference on the snow. Its really startling how much more they grip. I carry chains since they're required by law, but I've only used them a few times.

The mud tyres on the Ram are very good off road but a complete a*** on tarmac. I'd certainly never buy such dedicated tyres again. All Terrain seems to be the way to go.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 31 Mar 15 at 00:16
Quite agree. With my next car, whatever it is, I shallcontinue to use the tyres it is fitted with, until the time comes to change. Then I shall again buy good quality all weather rubber. Given my location, I am happy to sacrifice ultimate dry grip for improved wet weather and cold weather handling. Should I ever approach the limits of adhesion in the dry I would be steering well beyond my capabilities!
I find it a little alarming to read people's reports of tyres that don't offer enough grip in the dry - or even in the wet. Over the last 20 years I've had cars fitted mostly with Pirellis or Michelins, plus the Verso's original Dunlops and the odd oriental assortment that the LEC came with. They had different characteristics in terms of noise, steering feel and directional stability, but I never felt any of them would fail to grip anything less treacherous than a sodden roundabout, and then only due to my ineptitude. Am I just driving too timidly?
 Car merry go round - Zero
I have had some tyres that were more prone to scrabbling for grip on a smart pull away, nothing that would kill you tho

EXCEPT

1981, Dunlop SP Sports, on a Fiat 131. In the wet they were absolutely appalling, even the thought of touching the brakes would have them lock up, understeer, oversteer, slide, drift, So dangerous I ditched them after 3,500 miles.
 Car merry go round - VxFan
Worst tyres I've ever experienced were Goodyear NCT5's. I've had cheap unbranded tyres that would outperform them in terms of grip and handling.
>> Am I just driving too timidly?
>>

No, just skilled enough to know the limitations of you and your car.

Yesterday evening I was returning home in torrential rain, on a NSL dual carriageway bend there was an Insignia parked up a tree with emergency services in attendance. There was a lot of surface water and most were driving at about 50, (all after the incident). I suspect aquaplaning.

I think it was this one.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-32125319
Latest Forum Posts