Motoring Discussion > Dangerous motorcycle with passenger Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 18

Dangerous motorcycle with passenger - Crankcase
www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/motorcyclist-filmed-weaving-through-traffic-at-148mph-with-passenger-on-the-back-10143885.html

I post only because of the noteworthy (if it's true) point about it being the highest ever speed recorded for a motorcycle with passenger in these circumstances.

Certainly I'd be in a state of disquiet if I were on the back. I wonder if his passenger was enjoying it?

Interesting that the sentencing guidelines say that custody for Dangerous Driving is "usual", so he must have had a good brief to get off with disqualification and a fairly small fine.
 Dangerous motorcycle with passenger - No FM2R
>>Certainly I'd be in a state of disquiet if I were on the back. I wonder if his passenger was enjoying it?

I got on the back of a Moto Guzzi Lemans many years ago, with a guy I worked with who always seem quite pleasant.

He then wound it up to flat out which apparently was something like 140mph, at lunch time, on a dual carriageway near Reading.

I've never been so scared in all my life. Genuinely terrified. There isn't much to the back seat of one of those and I could just see me flying off on the slightest of bumps.

When we got back to the office car park we fell out.

I don't think I've been on the back of a bike since.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 30 Mar 15 at 16:27
 Dangerous motorcycle with passenger - commerdriver
Like cars, the most dangerous part of any motorcycle is the nut holding the handlebars
 Dangerous motorcycle with passenger - henry k
>> Like cars, the most dangerous part of any motorcycle is the nut holding the handlebars
>>
ould be true - at any speed :-)

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-31937270
 Dangerous motorcycle with passenger - commerdriver
Absolutely right speed is fine in the right time place conditions and vehicle, public roads with other traffic about is rarely the right time or place.
 Dangerous motorcycle with passenger - Armel Coussine
In my youth was taken from Radstock to Bath - 6 miles or so - in 4.5 minutes on the back of a fellow building labourer's BSA Gold Star 500. That was pretty frightening, especially braking very hard from 100-plus down a steepening hill with a sharp left-hander coming up. The guy wasn't a nutter at all, but I still shudder at the memory of trying not to slide up over his back and land on the road in front of the bike.

I know I've posted this before. It's burned into my memory so I'll probably post it again. Sorry.
 Dangerous motorcycle with passenger - Mapmaker
Getting into a car with somebody else driving is always a moment of trepidation.

I'm generally only happy when drunk.
 Dangerous motorcycle with passenger - Aretas
Many years ago I had to get some documents from Bury St Edmunds to a bank in the city. Motorcycle courier left at 10am. At 10.50 we had a call to say the docs had arrived. Estimate 80 miles.
 Dangerous motorcycle with passenger - CGNorwich
I'm not entirely convinced that is possible.
 Dangerous motorcycle with passenger - ....
Why not ? Aretas did say many years ago. It could have been before speed cameras when a copper in a Senator saw a bike and thought Nah! by the time I get to 140MPH he'll be in another county.

I once had a copper in a Senator claim he was not catching me at 140MPH when I was in a FIAT 127 GT. I was not being towed by a Ferrari F40.
Last edited by: gmac on Tue 31 Mar 15 at 22:36
 Dangerous motorcycle with passenger - Zero
>> Why not ? Aretas did say many years ago. It could have been before speed
>> cameras when a copper in a Senator saw a bike and thought Nah! by the
>> time I get to 140MPH he'll be in another county.

If it was many years ago, there was no M11, it was a tricky run with no real fast roads. Today the run is timed at 1:23 hours at the speed limit with no hold ups.
That's an average of 96mph. Never mind the speed cameras, that's stunning going just on a motorway, never mind the bit in BSE and London.

I had a girlfriend in BSE when I was living just off the Tottenham Court Road and rode a KH250 with a top speed of 90 something. I most certainly never got anywhere near an hour.
 Dangerous motorcycle with passenger - legacylad
BSE. You were going out with a dodgy cow? It's bad enough my friends scoffing at me when I walk out with a Swaledale, but dating a girl with BSE !
>>You were going out with a dodgy cow?

More than one, LL, more than one.
 Dangerous motorcycle with passenger - ....
I don't know how long the M11 has been there, cameras have not always been live down that road. A plastic bag on the number plate of a bike always helps progress. I don't think anyone suggested it was done at NSL.
 Dangerous motorcycle with passenger - helicopter
M11 was certainly there in the early eighties as I recall trying out a company SD1 on a quiet stretch at a considerably higher speed than the limit......around 60 mph more actually......
I think the Early 80s is when it was finished.
 Dangerous motorcycle with passenger - Aretas
Can't remember the year but sure the M11 was open. When M11 was new there was virtually no traffic.
 Dangerous motorcycle with passenger - CGNorwich
M11 was opened in its entirety in 1980. Only accounts for. 55 miles of the journey between Bury and the City. I still think it would be near impossible if not suicidal to ride those 80 miles in 50 minutes especially on a weekday morning.
Latest Forum Posts