Motoring Discussion > Fabulous motor Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 9

Fabulous motor - Armel Coussine
I've been sent a photo of a one-off special bodied McLaren, the X1, made for the crown prince of Bahrein, a remarkable looking jalopy it is too.

Unfortunately I can't cut and paste the photo which just vanishes when I try. I'll look into it but I'm not hopeful.
 Fabulous motor - Lygonos
Thunderbirds are Go!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sViZV3suJk
 Fabulous motor - VxFan
God, what an ugly looking thing.
Not ugly to my eye at all, just excessive, like a Saoutchik-bodied Delahaye or similar for very rich flash people.

One would want to know whether it was heavy, with a lot of lead filler to make those smooth curves, or properly made like other McLaren road cars (that seems more likely actually). It's a big thing and you'd have to be rich to risk its bodywork in modern traffic.

I don't fancy it for myself at all. Modest and low-key is best.
 Fabulous motor - Focusless
>> I don't fancy it for myself at all. Modest and low-key is best.

Here you go AC:
www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/concepts/concepts-and-prototypes/concepts-panther-6/

:)

Actually that's what the X-1 reminded me of thanks to its semi-covered rear wheels and rounded posterior.
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 31 Mar 15 at 14:33
>> Here you go AC:
>> www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/concepts/concepts-and-prototypes/concepts-panther-6/

>> :)

I remember that thing focus, and the F1 six-wheeler too.

Not a car, a lorry the wrong way round. Think of the frictional losses, and the steering geometry... genuinely grotesque.
 Fabulous motor - Focusless
Yes, I was getting Motor magazine delivered every week (thanks to parents) at the time and it came up quite regularly as more details emerged. I remember comparisons with pendulums thanks to the 8.2 litre V8 in the back.

Having said that, didn't the 6 wheel F1 car do pretty well before they banned it? Although I imagine somewhat more money was spent on its development.
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 31 Mar 15 at 14:44
 Fabulous motor - Manatee
>> Having said that, didn't the 6 wheel F1 car do pretty well before they banned
>> it? Although I imagine somewhat more money was spent on its development.

That car was unveiled in 1975, by which time there were 40-50 people in the Tyrell team from what Jo Ramirez says in his memoir. When Jo went to Tyrell in 1972 as Cevert's mechanic, there were only 20-30. The team, which had just won the 1971 championship with Jackie Stewart, operated in a woodyard out of 3 sheds and 3 Portakabins with a mud car park.

Different world to today's F1.

>> Thunderbirds are Go!

Thank you Lygonos.
 Fabulous motor - Robin O'Reliant
It looks like an aerodynamic Batmobile.
Latest Forum Posts