Motoring Discussion > Jogger...again. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 38

Jogger...again. - Ted

Drove up to the top of our road yesterday intending to turn right at the give w3ay line. The road is only one car width there, due to parked cars on either side whose drivers have gone to town on the tram. A Sprinter van turned in towards me from the right and stopped to let me clear....I couldn't see to the right because of it.

I rolled to a stop on the line and was alarmed by a man studying the front of the Vitara, then moving round to the passenger front window to which he gave a really heavy blow with his fist. All the time he was glaring at me and swearing very loudly......he looked a bit of a rough thug, really. He ended up calling me a F.....g dickhea* and ran off to the left. I saw that he had a sort of joggers gear on...no Lycra, just a tracky and trainers.

Now, why was he so upset ? I couldn't get out of the car before he was off !

Checking my dashcam footage, it shows him just running from right to left across my front. No collision, no slowing down or inconvenience to him at all. He must have come from behind the Sprinter but it's up to him to check before he runs into a possible hazard, surely. I've kept the footage just in case. Perhaps he thought I was going to just drive straight out but I was in the last couple of feet before stopping as he ran past.

Why do these types get so angry over nothing...at least I'll have the pleasure of knowing that his keep -fit will be cancelled out by his impending stroke !
 Jogger...again. - Armel Coussine
>> Why do these types get so angry over nothing...at least I'll have the pleasure of knowing that his keep -fit will be cancelled out by his impending stroke !

Cyclists are very hazardous in London too Ted, and many of them are violent and unreasonable. It could be a combination of carbon monoxide poisoning, too much exercise, perhaps harmful muscle-building drugs and general self-righteousness.

Others are harmless gentle invisible kamikazes. Naturally in one's huge fascist tank one shrinks from tangling with either, or any of the other categories of cyclist. But one can't always avoid them altogether. The so-and-sos are everywhere coming from all angles however empty the landscape may look.
 Jogger...again. - Old Navy
A walking stick through their spokes slows them down a bit. :-)
 Jogger...again. - Robin O'Reliant
Perhaps I've missed the bit where Ted mentions either cyclists or bicycles. No doubt one of you gents will be able to point it out.
>> Perhaps I've missed the bit where Ted mentions either cyclists or bicycles. No doubt one of you gents will be able to point it out.

Tee hee, quite right, it was a jogger.

Same difference though after all. One category of brain-damaged drugged-up exercise zealot or another.
 Jogger...again. - MD
Green Party activist no doubt. Pah!
 Jogger...again. - Robin O'Reliant
If it wasn't for us cyclists getting in your way and running red lights you lot would be reduced to moaning about each other. And as for the drugs, how do you think we get up the hills?
 Jogger...again. - Zero
>>And as for the drugs, how
>> do you think we get up the hills?

Most of the pillocks who think lycra turns them into Olympic warriors capable of powering up box hill end up walking and blocking the road.
 Jogger...again. - sooty123
>> >>And as for the drugs, how
>> >> do you think we get up the hills?

Not being an issue around here or into push bikes, frankly my dear...
 Jogger...again. - Slidingpillar
The cyclists who walk up hills on charity events are something that annoys me, even wearing my cycling hat. They seem to think they can just stop in the middle of the road and obstruct everyone else as they are are bound to have to walk...

"Excuse me, when you can ride a bike with racing gears up the like of Ditchling Beacon, I'm not getting off for you, you've far lower gears than I have too"
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Tue 7 Apr 15 at 09:32
 Jogger...again. - Cliff Pope
>> >>>>
>> Tee hee, quite right, it was a jogger.
>>
>> Same difference though after all. One category of brain-damaged drugged-up exercise zealot or another.
>>

The walking stick would still work though, I think. :)

As someone said, when I see a jogger looking happy I'll think about it.
Part of the appeal of this ridiculous fitness craze is that it is only for miserable people, or else it quickly makes you miserable perhaps.

Where's the joy of the glorious spring weather, the open air, the bright clear early-morning sun breaking through the mist and streaming through the trees?
 Jogger...again. - Focusless
>> Where's the joy of the glorious spring weather, the open air, the bright clear early-morning
>> sun breaking through the mist and streaming through the trees?

Got most of that during my 4+ mile run this morning, and very nice it was too. Very happy not to be one of those miserable-looking motorists stuck in queues at the lights (although of course there were fewer of them than normal thanks to school holidays) :)
 Jogger...again. - Old Navy
>> Got most of that during my 4+ mile run this morning, and very nice it
>> was too.

Enjoy it while you can, you will miss your knee and hip joints when you have worn them out.
 Jogger...again. - Focusless
>> Enjoy it while you can, you will miss your knee and hip joints when you
>> have worn them out.

Indeed I will - good job running makes them last longer!
www.sharecare.com/health/bone-joint-muscle-health/can-cycling-running-wear-joints

:o
 Jogger...again. - madf
>> >> Got most of that during my 4+ mile run this morning, and very nice
>> it
>> >> was too.
>>
>> Enjoy it while you can, you will miss your knee and hip joints when you
>> have worn them out.
>>

I gave up running when 65: my hamstrings.

Now I'm walking 25miles a week. Perfect joints and knees - I have taken 1000mg cod liver/omega 3 oil daily for 40 years..

I can do yoga - within the limitations of my very immobile hips/back (weightlifting) - as well as any 20 year old lithe young woman..:-)

Pity about my brain...
Last edited by: madf on Tue 7 Apr 15 at 09:04
 Jogger...again. - Runfer D'Hills
One of my close friends is a GP. It is his firm view that many of the people who seek medical treatment from him for aches, pains and quite a few other ailments would be better instead to simply eat less, drink less (alcohol) and excercise more.
 Jogger...again. - CGNorwich
That's undoubtedly true. We all need to take responsibility for our own health a bit more. Too much exercise of the wrong sort can be bad for the joints too though. Those ageing runners and joggers runnin the streets with their contorted faces are quite likely to be storing up a lot of trouble wiht their joints in the years to come.
 Jogger...again. - Dog
>>Those ageing runners and joggers runnin the streets with their contorted faces are quite likely to be storing up a lot of trouble wiht their joints in the years to come.

I wonder if Lud has trouble with his joints.

:o}
What could you be suggesting Perro? For the record, I walked my usual third of a mile this morning, an hour earlier than usual, to get the comic.

To my disappointment - horror even - there was no Matt cartoon anywhere in it, and no explanation or apology or reassurance.

Adams is all very well for the heavy stuff - excellent today and yesterday - but no one beats Matt. Often makes my day. Have the owners tried to cut his wages? Pay up you stingy old brutes!
 Jogger...again. - Dog
>>What could you be suggesting Perro? For the record, I walked my usual third of a mile this morning, an hour earlier than usual, to get the comic.

You must walk further on a daily basis, than I do Sire, because I don't walk anywhere these days, due to Milo being bedbound.

I shall make up for it though - when I get a Chow Chow :}
>>
>> To my disappointment - horror even - there was no Matt cartoon anywhere in it,
>> and no explanation or apology or reassurance.
>>

But it does have a photograph of Prince Harry dressed up to look like Stalin in his new Marshal's uniform.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Tue 7 Apr 15 at 14:42

>>
>> But it does have a photograph of Prince Harry dressed up to look like Stalin
>> in his new Marshal's uniform.
>>

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/prince-harry/

petersrussia.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/nkvd.html
>> a photograph of Prince Harry dressed up to look like Stalin in his new Marshal's uniform.

Looks a decent enough young chap to me. Touchy-feely like his late mother. Paid his dues in the army too by accounts. He can let it all hang out and be relaxed because he isn't the Heir. His elder brother is obliged to be a bit more uptight, and it shows.

Royals are compelled to have the highest rank in all the armed forces whose loyalty oath is to the monarchy, not the state. I imagine Prince Harry's former army comrades tease him about it. Wouldn't you?
 Jogger...again. - NortonES2
Not if he was drunk, and in reach of a gun!
>> Not if he was drunk, and in reach of a gun!

Are you thinking of the real Stalin Nortones? Ready with a gun that one (and a colossal kamikaze boozer), an official bank robber for the Bolsheviks in his early days. Later the Soviet Communist Party generated a sort of Smersh department to deal with people like Trotsky. People were more scared of Beria who ran it than they were of Stalin himself, who might give you a Rolls-Royce if he was in a good mood (Lenin used to do the same).

Things can get quite raw in idealist government circles. The Albanian dictator Enver Hoxha drilled someone across the cabinet table once. No doubt some disageement about a minor sub-section of clause CCCXXXIV in the draft policy document. Something dead serious along those lines.

:o{
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 7 Apr 15 at 15:33
>> >>who might give you a Rolls-Royce if he was in a good mood
>> (Lenin used to do the same).
>>

Lenin bought several Rolls Royce Silver Ghosts after his previous car was stolen from him at gunpoint shortly after the revolution. He had to walk to a police station and there had difficulty making plod believe he really was Lenin.
In the spirit of true revolutionaries the carjackers distained to produce any authorising documentation when comandeering the car.
I wonder if Lenin had a sense of humour.
>> Lenin bought several Rolls Royce Silver Ghosts

Paid cash for them too out of the liberated coffers of the old regime. Nice bit of commission for someone close to the company.

Ghost was a very fine machine. It needed to be on Russia's unmade roads. Thirsty of course but everlastingly maintainable and comfortable over terrible roads, very few rivals in its day. Very few cars more expensive either.

I have a feeling Lenin was quite witty in private. But he was awfully busy and preoccupied. Liked cats.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 7 Apr 15 at 15:58
 Jogger...again. - NortonES2
"Are you thinking of the real Stalin Nortones?" Not at the moment. Actually the Stalin tales are news to me.

No, just the House of Windsor/Battenburg, who seem quite unhinged at times:)
>> No, just the House of Windsor/Battenburg, who seem quite unhinged at times:)

Do they? Not to me really.

It's an odd situation to be in. Anything you do or say can be writ large and used by the media to make fun of you. It's a sort of national sport, British disrespect. The fact is we're a damn rum lot, world famous for it. Royals are no worse than the rest of us and you can guarantee that they disrespect us as we disrespect them.
 Jogger...again. - Dog
>>Perfect joints and knees - I have taken 1000mg cod liver/omega 3 oil daily for 40 years..

Avez vous got your listening ears on, Legacylad?
 Jogger...again. - legacylad
I only have one pair ( of ears ) Doggo. Good job they are the listening type. Thanks for the heads up.... I shall try to source a supply of them, but I suspect too much sport has taken its toll. At one point in my life I was playing two games of squash a night, five nights a week then two further games Sunday AM & early evening. Left hip knackered now, but too young/ not knackered enough for a replacement yet. Got the Chalkland Way coming up next month... 40 miles in two days. Mmmmm. Ibruprofen in large quantities methinks, and no alcohol the week before.
 Jogger...again. - Dog
>>I only have one pair ( of ears ) Doggo. Good job they are the listening type

The expression "have you got your listening ears on" comes from Judge Judy on the telly, but you probably don't watch much telly, no more than I do.

I would get a bottle of CLO and down it by the dessert spoon, if I were thee. My 15 year old pup has 1000mg caps of CLO everyday, and it appears to be helping him. He also has a 'joint' supplement containing green-lipped mussel extract, which seems to get good reviews:

www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=green+lipped+mussel&tag=mh0a9-21&index=aps&hvadid=2978992502&hvqmt=p&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5jgrpa6a34_p
 Jogger...again. - legacylad
Thanks. Will buy & try. Even if it is only psychosomatic it will be a success. Normally during warm dry weather my left hip stops aching. Not at the moment though! Strangely, only 3.weeks ago I skied hard for 6 days and had no pain at ll. Maybe low humidity in the mountains.
Standing on my feet for 9 hours at work today won't help, nor will three hours pressure washing tonight after work. Needs must, this dry weather won't last and I promised to clean up my Moms patios.
 Jogger...again. - Dog
>>Even if it is only psychosomatic it will be a success

You need to give it up to 3 months to do 'its stuff', it's not like a painkiller, which starts to work within the hour.

Have you had your hip/hips x-rayed? .. avez vous considered having the offending hip resurfaced, rather than replaced.

www.bupa.co.uk/health-information/directory/h/hip-resurfacing

>>Standing on my feet for 9 hours at work today won't help,

Oh dear :(
 Jogger...again. - Dog
Judge Judy: www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOyuBn-Qg0M

:o}
 Jogger...again. - Duncan
>> three hours pressure washing tonight after work. Needs must, this dry weather won't last and I
>> promised to clean up my Moms patios.
>>

What do you people do on your patios?

In almost 50 years of home ownership, I have never felt the need to clean a patio.

Do you also clean the moss off the roof?
 Jogger...again. - Fursty Ferret
I just left a dent in the boot of someone's Mondeo after they decided to reverse into me while I was walking behind them. And it wasn't even me being stupid this time: I was crossing the road at a T-junction, thoughtfully decided that it would be polite to not walk in front of the car waiting to pull out, and so changed my path to go behind him instead.

Unfortunately what I failed to realise is that he considered the nose of the car was perhaps sticking out a little too far into oncoming traffic and that perhaps it would be better to reverse back six feet at high speed.

Fortunately my ninja-like reflexes saved the day. In an aside, Mondeo bodywork is surprisingly soft. Also, my hand hurts now.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Wed 8 Apr 15 at 20:09
 Jogger...again. - Runfer D'Hills
Careful with it then when you get hold of your joy stick...
 Jogger...again. - Fursty Ferret
>> Careful with it then when you get hold of your joy stick...
>>

Matron!
Latest Forum Posts