Motoring Discussion > Man maths extraordinaire Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Dieselboy Replies: 11

Man maths extraordinaire - Dieselboy
I own a 2009 Mazda 6 2.2d TS2 that currently has 110,000 miles. I've owned it nearly 2 years. In this time it has been reliable, except on two occasions it has run like a bag of spanners when started. Turn it off and on to make all things fine again.

When I bought it I flew in the face of advice about the Mazda diesel engine...

Anyhow, I have seen a 2012 Peugeot 508 2.0HDi 140 Active with 85k that meets my needs. In all fairness I probably don't need a diesel but I just prefer then drive.

I reckon cost to change will be around 3.5k.

Am I insane?
 Man maths extraordinaire - Robin O'Reliant
Yes, but we all are anyway and you can't take it with you.
 Man maths extraordinaire - Runfer D'Hills
If you fancy it and you can afford it, why not? Don't know much about them to be honest, but I've not heard anything so bad as to suck any teeth.

Man maths extraordinaire - Zero

>> I reckon cost to change will be around 3.5k.
>>
>> Am I insane?

Anyone who can do maths can't possibly be insane.
 Man maths extraordinaire - Runfer D'Hills
I suppose, if I were you, the only real question is not whether the new one is worth going after but whether the old one is worth parting with. I sometimes think the best value you ever get from a car is the bit from 100,000 upwards. The market value is shot after that but the usefulness is often quite good.

But...when you see something that looks interesting all that becomes a ball of chalk.

On a practical note, has all the tricky stuff been recently done to the Peugeot? Cam belt and so on?
That I don't know. It's for sale at Evans Halshaw *shudder* and their central telephone answering people can't answer specifics.

I might have a drive over tomorrow to see what it what. Then again, I might not.
 Man maths extraordinaire - RichardW
Cambelt is 10 years / 160k on this engine. I would check if possible the level of DPF fluid left - although I would imagine it would be OK as racking up 85k in 3 years will be mostly motorway (unless it's been cabbed...) which doesn't use much fluid. They eat front lower swivels for fun - later ones have an improved joint, but they still don't last. Couple of hours a side to replace, so it can cost a bit. The engine seems to give very little trouble (unlike the 1.6 HDi....!). It is French of course, so random electrical maladies are to be expected!!
Cheers for that. I've had 2 406 Pugs in the past - I believe their electrics to be the best of the Frogs.

When you say swivels, you mean...?

Ta!
 Man maths extraordinaire - RichardW
Actually looks like not all are equipped like that - some have got quite complex front suspension, and the lower swivel bearing fills up with water and fails. Replacement detailed here: www.peugeotforums.com/forums/407-41/407-lower-balljoint-replacement-13760/ Continues to be a problem on the latest C5.
 Man maths extraordinaire - legacylad
As Runfer says, if you have a good old un, possibly best keeping.
Although personally speaking, a decent solicitor eases the pain.....
 Man maths extraordinaire - ToMoCo
Is it simply boredom with the 6 that is making you look?

Will £3.5k and a Peugeot cure that boredom? Six months from now?

I suppose it's not horribly expensive motoring if the Pug then gets you another 2 or 3 years down the line to the next car.
Aye, you're probably right.

As it goes, I arrived at the dealer to look at the Pug to find it had been sold.

I think I'll keep my cash for the minute.
Latest Forum Posts