Motoring Discussion > A special birthday gift. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 23

A special birthday gift. - R.P.
Mrs RP is a petrol head. Her brother knows this and gifted her a trackday at the nearby Ty Croes circuit. I've bought one to go with her. Audi R8, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lamborghini are amongst the delights we'll sample in July...!
 A special birthday gift. - ToMoCo
You get to try them all?

I've got a voucher still to use from my last birthday. Will need to get it booked. I can drive 2 cars from a choice of around 8, I think.
From a phone call yesterday seems we get three each. The Aston was only available for one of us for some odd reason so I opted for the R8 as Mrs RP loves Astons. Dunno how long the drive but we're due at the circuit at 8.50am and the next option was at 2.30pm. The circuit is only 15 mins up the road so the early start is not an issue.
 A special birthday gift. - Armel Coussine
There may be a certain amount of hanging around in the cold Rob.

I hope you choose big Ferraris and get a decent go in them. I am just a bit envious.
July ! Hopefully it will be like last year's..
 A special birthday gift. - MD
Cor Mister. What'll She do?
I just thought about that. The car. Not 'er indoors.
 A special birthday gift. - Runfer D'Hills
My ex sister in law bought me a gliding voucher in 1989. I found it recently. I expect it's expired.

Guess I could always make a paper plane with it. Fitting really.
 A special birthday gift. - No FM2R
>> My ex sister in law bought me a gliding voucher in 1989.

Bit of a mistake that, in my opinion. I flew a glider first, I think I was about 12 or so. Flown loads of stuff since. Its really good fun.
Gliding on my bucket list. That's pencilled in for May. My birthday gift this time...
No to be honest, I quite fancy it, I'd just forgotten about the voucher.

I've had a go at hang gliding on skis, a very long time ago and that was fun but the thing I really fancy, and will do one day, is microlighting.
 A special birthday gift. - sooty123
I've done quite a few flights on gliders. Did a couple of week intensive (ish) courses, weather was a bit iffy so never got solo. Did manage a couple of landings and TO without any help. Managed a couple of flights in a motorglider as well. I really enjoyed it, very cheap as well. I think a drum launch was about a fiver.
Oh now that's torn it. Going to have to look into this...
Will you lot stop posting about exciting stuff. I'm trying to go to bed:-0)
 A special birthday gift. - bathtub tom
I've done gliding, too fat now. Think the maximum weight's around 16 stone.

Tried hang gliding and had a Rogallo for a while, but hurt my back in a hard landing (ask FF - I hobbled away, eventually).

Treated myself to a parachute jump as a birthday present and spent the next six weeks in plaster.

Don't even ride a motorbike now. Learnt I don't bounce like I used to!
these days I prefer paragliding. So much easier and more convenient. Soft landings as well!
The other one on my bucket list is kite surfing. I'm competent, if admittedly very far below any good on a windsurfer, but the idea of airborne surfing...

Hmmmm now that looks fun !
 A special birthday gift. - bathtub tom
>> The other one on my bucket list is kite surfing.

Take care you don't kick it: www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11458367/Kite-surfer-dies-in-tragedy-off-crowded-Norfolk-beach.html
Yeah, cheers for that !

:-)

Edit - what's that old thing? "Better to burn out than fade away..."
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 4 Apr 15 at 09:24
 A special birthday gift. - jc2
I got a day learning to drive and fire a steam railway engine-excellent.Cars faded into the background-anyway I'd already driven most.A day driving a Defender off-road was also good.
 A special birthday gift. - Robin O'Reliant
I got 7 pairs of socks :-(
>>The other one on my bucket list is kite surfing.

I am a very good windsurfer, and have been doing it along time. But about 12 years ago I got into kite surfing because one of my Brother-in-laws owned a retail shop.

If you like jumping, then its great. Especially if you tend to hang out on relatively unpopulated beaches.

The kites are enormously powerful, quite dangerous on the beach, and its a pretty great feeling when you get it right.

But its not much fun when its busy, and I certainly don't enjoy it as much as I do windsurfing, although some of that will be down to my differing skill levels. I rarely kite surf anymore, windsurfing is much more fun.
I love getting airborne on my bike, but occasionally some of the landings hurt a bit more these days...

The thought of a warm water based landing in the event of an unplanned wipe out sounds comparatively relatively luxurious !

Warm water, perhaps, but hit it at speed and it certainly isn't soft. A friend of mine compound fractured both his femurs landing when we were windsurfing in Lee on Solent some years ago.

Having said that my personal experience says that cartwheeling off a kite board happens rather a lot more than a nasty landing from height.

Latest Forum Posts