Motoring Discussion > Replacement Car Key Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 28

Replacement Car Key - Duncan
Lady Duncan managed to break the key for her Toyota Yaris. I have glued it back together, but now the remote buttons won't work, the actual key bit works when inserted into the door and the ignition.

Where is the best place to get a replacement? There is no urgency, we have swapped keys pro tem. I can still get into her car and drive it if needs be.
 Replacement Car Key - swiss tony
Try a Toyota dealer....
 Replacement Car Key - CGNorwich
Yes, but be prepared for a shock when they tell you how much it's going to cost.
 Replacement Car Key - Zero
Depends on how and what is broken. You can buy shells on ebay and put any working bits inside.
I was thinking of buying a key that was complete; just wanted programming and then I am away with the mixer.

Some of the figures I have seen quoted from Toyota dealers during my Googling are madness.
>> I was thinking of buying a key that was complete; just wanted programming and then
>> I am away with the mixer.
>>
>> Some of the figures I have seen quoted from Toyota dealers during my Googling are
>> madness.

which is why, depending on what is broken, you consider the idea of getting a shall and moving bits over.
 Replacement Car Key - R.P.
I know someone who has done that very thing on a RAV4 so Zero is right.
 Replacement Car Key - Old Navy
>> so Zero is right.
>>

Don't encourage him, he has already repeated his instructions (orders).
Sorry ! :-)

"Zero may very well be correct in this instance"
Is he ever wrong ? :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 12 Apr 15 at 19:20
I can't answer that :-)
That's a lawyers answer. :-)
 Replacement Car Key - sherlock47
>> That's a lawyers answer. :-)
>>

and he will charge for it!
 Replacement Car Key - CGNorwich
Duncan will end up buying a new key. Let us know when you do Duncan

>> Duncan will end up buying a new key.

As he is known for not following good advice on here, you may well be right.
>> Duncan will end up buying a new key. Let us know when you do Duncan
>>

Got a new key from these people :-

www.automobilelocksmith.co.uk/ who are in Peterborough. It cost £20, the service was quite prompt, but didn't include actually cutting the blank, which cost me £3:50 in my friendly neighbourhood key cutters, dry cleaners and shoe repairers (no, not Timpsons).

So, £23:50 all in, which I thought was a result in light of some of the prices I had seen and heard mentioned.

Last edited by: Duncan on Fri 24 Apr 15 at 11:18
Does it work? fully?
>> Does it work? fully?
>>

Well, it locked and unlocked the car both by using the remotes and by sticking the key in the door. It then turned all those lovely lights on that are in the display thingy. Then for its party piece it started the engine and one of my chaps brought us back to Chateau Duncan.

I am quite pleased as I thought it was going to be another mortgage.
 Replacement Car Key - spamcan61
Make sure it is actually broken, rather than just needing re-synching to the car.
>> Make sure it is actually broken, rather than just needing re-synching to the car.
>>

Oh, I am fairly sure that it's broken.

I had to use a pair of pliers to get the remains out of the lock.

In my book, that's broken.
so the actual key with the squiggly bits part is broken.

New blank key & shell from the bay of e, get key cut, move over the magic parts

or

go to dealer, bend over and get a spanking.
 Replacement Car Key - henry k
>> New blank key & shell from the bay of e, get key cut, move over the magic parts
>>
>> or go to dealer, bend over and get a spanking.
>>
Indeed. £150 - £200 seems the going rate for my car and I suspect it is the norm for other makes..
 Replacement Car Key - Falkirk Bairn
My son has had RAV4 & Lexus key issues.
In both cases he bought a shell of the key/fob from ebay+ 2 x new battery cells.

Transferred the blade, electronics and installed the battery ...100% success for under £10 for both repairs.

For the OP this may or may not work BUT for £5-£10 gamble verses a £150 shafting from the dealer it is worth a go. If the blade is faulty a few ££s spent at Timpsons (or another quality key cutter may be needed).

I must be lucky as in 50+ yrs of car ownership if have never lost, broken or needed a key cut/replaced yet seemingly everyone I know has war stories about car keys. All common complaints - the only change is the price escalates every year and £200 barrier has been broken./
>> Indeed. £150 - £200 seems the going rate for my car and I suspect it
>> is the norm for other makes..
>>

And as it is for a Yaris that is a set of tyres or a dealer service.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 13 Apr 15 at 12:03
 Replacement Car Key - VxFan
>> Indeed. £150 - £200 seems the going rate

A Virgin keyfob from ebay was around £50 for my old Vectra. (2nd hand ones cannot be reprogrammed without replacing the tranponder chip in the fob). Then a session with some dodgy Chinese cloan OpCom diagnostic software to marry the fob up to the car. Otherwise as you say £150 though a dealer.

Don't Timpson supply and program new keyfobs?
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 13 Apr 15 at 13:01
 Replacement Car Key - commerdriver
>> Don't Timpson supply and program new keyfobs?
>>
From what I have been told in our local branch, the larger branches do, part of the problem is they need access to the car to program it so it needs to be a branch where you can park nearby and the kit is expensive so only a few branches can do it, check website or your local for the nearest one to you, I guess.
 Replacement Car Key - wokingham
tinyurl.com/ouean72 may help
My friendly neighbourhood independent garage has given me a provisional guesstimate of £150 for a replacement key. that's too strong for me.

The problem is that although the key works in the door manually, because I was a little generous with the Poundland Superglue, I managed to glue up the remote buttons!

If I can't get the cost of a replacement down to an absolute maximum of 50 quid, then I will soldier on with the dodgy key myself. LD can have the good key and when I drive her car I will just have to lock and unlock the car manually.

C'est la vie, or bonny la douche as Dellboy might say.
 Replacement Car Key - VxFan
>> The problem is that although the key works in the door manually, because I was
>> a little generous with the Poundland Superglue, I managed to glue up the remote buttons!

So, the blade and internal electronics are still ok then?

As mentioned earlier in this thread, just get a replacement shell off Ebay for something like a fiver (or less) and swap the necessary bits over to it. Ok, it won't be to OEM standard, but it'll be a whole lot better than you've currently got.
Latest Forum Posts