Motoring Discussion > A Grand Tour Miscellaneous
Thread Author: ToMoCo Replies: 16

A Grand Tour - ToMoCo
Of Europe, loosely motoring related.

There are so many cars I want to own, but that would mean getting rid of the Soarer and I'm not quite ready for that. It's a GT car, so why not use it for it's intended purpose?

This is the beginnings of planning a road trip across Europe with my son (11 just now).

Possibly October this year, more realistically June next year. Haven't really got any further than that at the moment.

Was it on here I read about a chap who inherited a Caterham or Westfield and was going to do something similar? Did it happen?

Looking for all sorts of suggestions, routes, places to visit (museums, tracks, towns, whatever), eat, sleep (campsites, cheapish hotels), everything.

Setting off from Stirling for up to 10 days, a tent in the car, where do we go?

A lot of googling ahead.
 A Grand Tour - legacylad
Get to Yorkshire. Stop there. Tha knows.
 A Grand Tour - ToMoCo
>> Get to Yorkshire. Stop there. Tha knows.
>>

Heh, a 3 litre straight six BMW is one of my ones to own, could kill 2 birds with that idea.

Wanna swap?
 A Grand Tour - No FM2R
I keep trying to write a reply to this, and it keeps getting complex and waffly.

So I'm trying to boil it down...

My Father took me on a tour, it is one of my fondest memories.

I enjoyed and remember the camaraderie that came from doing something that we wanted to do, that my Mother and Sister did not want to do, and were not involved in.

For me that was; early walks on the beach and in the forest, indulgent meals, frank chats, secrets, me being involved in the planning, mens talk, but also in the decisions when we got going (routes, meals, accommodation etc.) I was 10, so I'm sure it was contrived, but that's not how I remember it or how it felt.

I know I'm not saying this well, but for me the important thing is the fact that you both spend a close time together, not that you necessarily follow an fascinating itinerary.

And IMO, sooner is better than later.
 A Grand Tour - legacylad
I'm with this bloke^
Not exactly a motoring tour, but from the age of 10 my father and I always visited Grasmere Sports every year. Cumberland wrestling, hound trailing etc. I seem to remember it took an age to drive there in the car....Herald, Hunter, Simca, I cannot remember as it was a long time ago. My favourite day of the year, including Christmas & my birthday.
He made me feel like a grown up, and let me drink a half pint of lager from the age of 13! Precious days, and sadly he died aged 51. Do it ASAP.
 A Grand Tour - ToMoCo
Yes, I agree sooner rather than later, prompted by a heart attack last year the day after my 39th.

Not looking to set a 'must follow' itinerary, but a vague plan drawing upon others experience of must drive roads etc.
 A Grand Tour - Runfer D'Hills
I've done more than a few "grand tours" over the years, in cars as diverse as Pandas, a Westfield, GTis and even a Cortina. Many many more to boot but that's not really important.

First off, if you can do it in summer rather than late autumn then do. I've done a run down to the Italian lakes before now in October and the weather wasn't fab. Daylight hours shorter too. Tough to keep the young guy amused when it's dark, cold and raining.

One way you could ensure he had some people his own age to hang out with from time to time would be to organise your trip around a selection of Eurocamp type sites. Not sure what the deal is now but they used to let you book multiple destinations so you could have a night or two somewhere and then move on and on again with the security of knowing you have a guaranteed booking ahead and if you book their tents you're not having to bother with packing up and setting up your own.

Not exactly Ray Mears but fun enough.
 A Grand Tour - Zero

>> This is the beginnings of planning a road trip across Europe with my son (11
>> just now).
>>
>> Possibly October this year, more realistically June next year. Haven't really got any further than
>> that at the moment.
>

What common interests do you and the lad share?
 A Grand Tour - ToMoCo
>> What common interests do you and the lad share?
>>

We both share a passion for cars. science and technology and chat for hours on end when walking the dog about the night sky and space.

A keen interest in history and especially ww2, his current school project
 A Grand Tour - Alastairw
CERN in Switzerland should be part of the route then. Just chucking the idea into the mix.
 A Grand Tour - legacylad
Good idea. I drove to Interlaken many years ago in an old Mini, with a roof rack full of spares. Fabulous campsite with views of the Eiger etc. it took us three days to drive there, and was a cracking holiday.
 A Grand Tour - WillDeBeest
Then down the Rhone valley to admire the Côte Rôtie slopes from the high street in Ampuis. And the river, of course. English rivers seem, well, small by comparison.
 A Grand Tour - Ted

WW2 ? Start at Cherbourg and have a trip round Normandy to start off....Nice museum in St Mere Eglise with an allied glider in it. Lots of war relics scattered around the beaches.

Show him Oradour on the way round france. Bruges is a brilliant place to have a look round.

So much to see...wish I was doing it ! Hmmmm....I know a rather nice 63 yr old divorcee...I wonder if she'd be up for it !
 A Grand Tour - T junction
Ah Interlaken. We camped there for a few days on our way to Italy one year, spent 2 days here www.ballenberg.ch/en/Ballenberg/Visit and thoroughly enjoyed it. Italy was too hot when we got there and turned back into the Swiss Alps for the remainder of the holiday.
 A Grand Tour - Zero

>> We both share a passion for cars. science and technology and chat for hours on
>> end when walking the dog about the night sky and space.
>>
>> A keen interest in history and especially ww2, his current school project

I would suggest you and he travel www.citedelautomobile.com in Mulhouse, and then plan some explorations of the Forts, blockhouses, and cupolas of the Maginot Line. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maginot_Line
 A Grand Tour - Old Navy
IWM Duxford is worth a visit if you are passing. Along with the aircraft there is a hangar which is used as storage for all sorts of military equipment under restoration, and all manner of equipment not on display at other IWM locations, even a small submarine.

www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 14 Apr 15 at 09:53
 A Grand Tour - ToMoCo
Thanks all for suggestions so far. A little update

DAY 1 will be a drive to Newcastle. Overnight ferry to Amsterdam.

DAY 2. Arrive Amsterdam. Lad has picked out Anne Frank House for a visit, possibly Van Gogh Museum while there.

That's as far as we have got for now.

Definitely want to take in the suggestions from Zero - Maginot Line and the Automobile museum in Mulhouse. Just not sure if we will go through Belgium or Germany.

Anyone been to the BMW Museum?

CERN on the list after Mulhouse, but again not sure of route after that, but maybe Interlaken before heading to Northern France.

Lots still to plan, but it will only be a rough guide, could all change on the road!
Latest Forum Posts