Motoring Discussion > Halogen bulb Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 14

Halogen bulb - Crankcase
Car complained about loss of dipped beam on the dash today, and sure enough, bulb not on. Typically, it was pretty foggy.

Got to work, lights/engine off and on again, nothing. So turned it all on once more, then tapped outer housing and it lit up.

So - it's going into dealer anyway for another check (might be a wheel bearing, squeal).

Get them to check the wiring and so on, or is this just typical "bulb on its way out" and I should just attempt to change it myself and save a chunk of unnecessary diagnosis time?

Halogen bulb - VxFan
Bulb is on its way out. By tapping it, you probably just fused the broken filament back together (temporarily). It'll go again any time soon.

It might also be a bad earth, but generally any other bulbs in the same cluster would probably show the same symptoms.

Save yourself some money and have a look/change it yourself, unless its a "bumper off" job to change it.

Or, if you feel brave, let someone at Halfords do it.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Apr 15 at 08:39
 Halogen bulb - CGNorwich
Most main dealers will change a bulb f o c . My VW dealer certainly will. If it's going in the garage anyway ask them to change it.
 Halogen bulb - henry k
I would pull the connecting plug off and see if there is any corrosion.
Maybe a few plug on, plug offs will clean up the contacts.

It is a problem that has been reported on Jaguar X type forums resulting in eventually melted connectors due to poor contacts. Some then replace the connectors with ceramic versions.
The easy availability of ceramic connectors on Ebay may point to it being a not uncommon problem
( unless it is for the 100 Watt lads)
 Halogen bulb - Crankcase
Thanks guys. At least now I know it's probably not "you need a whole new headlight unit at £1100 plus VAT plus fitting" territory.

Now booked into the dealer for the diagnosis of the strange squeal between 45 and 60mph (£135 just to diagnose, cor blimey, that apparently being their hourly rate). They will do the bulb for nothing though.

I've now discovered the manual says "use the provided tool to remove the cover" and I don't know if such tool is still with the car. The picture is of a sort of not quite right angled long screwdriver thing - not an Allen key.

So I might try to sort it myself, unless it lasts a week.
 Halogen bulb - ....
>> I've now discovered the manual says "use the provided tool to remove the cover" and
>> I don't know if such tool is still with the car. The picture is of
>> a sort of not quite right angled long screwdriver thing - not an Allen key.
>>
Sounds like a Volvo.

Pull out two retaining blades holding the headlight in place, pull the headlight unit forward, roll it up and place on the slam panel (no need to undo the wiring), loosen off (do not remove) four screws with the Allen key on the plastic cover and remove, swap the failed bulb.

2 minutes from start to finish.
Last edited by: gmac on Mon 20 Apr 15 at 13:56
 Halogen bulb - Crankcase
Tis a Volvo yes, and that makes it sounds easy enough. Ta. Will look when I get home.
 Halogen bulb - VxFan
>> Will look when I get home.

More than likely they'll be a how2 on a Volvo forum, and/or even on youtube.
 Halogen bulb - sherlock47
If it is a bumper off job, be prepared for a LARGE bill!
 Halogen bulb - Crankcase
No, not bumper off, luckily.
 Halogen bulb - Dog
>>If it is a bumper off job, be prepared for a LARGE bill!

It's possible to gain access to bulbs on some such cars by unclipping the cover in the wheel arch. Bit fiddly, but it can be done.
 Halogen bulb - WillDeBeest
My old S60 has a Mystic Meg mode, which warns of a bulb failure typically the day before it actually happens. I expect it's much as VF suggests, detecting the change in resistance as the filament nears critical thinness.
 Halogen bulb - carmalade
If its a Volvo,then the headlight will need to be removed for bulb replacement.Fortunately not too bad ,as it is held in with a metal slider pin(s) which just lifts up and the allows the headlight to be released.
 Halogen bulb - Crankcase
Didn't get to it last night. One day nearer just letting the dealer do it.

Also worked out the impossible - how to get this Volvo NOT to turn its lights on all the time, which means I can drive with just drls. Assuming there's no dark/foggy driving between now and next week that might just do.

Actually getting a replacement bulb is a logistical nightmare in the time available to me anyway. After this I will invest in a spare set but right this minute I don't have one. This is largely because in the previous 15 years of Toyota/Lexus driving bulb replacements weren't something that were ever needed. Not carried spare bulbs since the nineties - feels very old fashioned.
 Halogen bulb - ....
I've had the DRLs switched off by Volvo on my last two cars. The first S60 went through four sets of dipped headlight bulbs in 21 months, the second I switched to Osram Nightbreaker unlimited bulbs the driver's side bulb lasted 14 months to the day with DRLs deactivated.

The bulb went on Friday morning I went online, bulbs ordered (H7), arrived Sat. morning and fitted before doing whatever was planned next.
Latest Forum Posts