Motoring Discussion > Green light phobia. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 29

Green light phobia. - Old Navy
I have noticed an increasing lack of response to green traffic lights and traffic moving off. The drivers seem to be closely inspecting their genital region, and are often femail. Has anyone else noticed this behaviour and know what problem they have ?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 21 Apr 15 at 09:49
 Green light phobia. - Manatee
The sensible thing to do would be to hold the phone up in front of them while checking facebook, so that they could see the lights, but of course using the phone is illegal so it has to be out of sight.
 Green light phobia. - Rick O'Shea
>> I have noticed an increasing lack of response to green traffic lights and traffic moving
>> off. The drivers seem to be closely inspecting their genital region, and are often femail.

I have got out of the car before and offered help with the inspection but for some reason my kind offer has always been declined.
 Green light phobia. - ....
It's not just green lights, they are also migrating to the outside lane of urban two lane roads with no other traffic around.
I came up behind a BMW 3 series a week or so back. Young lad in the car on his own, the driver's seat lowered and reclined. I was in the nearside lane on my bike, pulled out into lane 2 then pulled alongside on the driver's side and sat there watching the road and glancing in watching him update whatever he was doing on his Smartphone in the centre console. His face was priceless when he looked up and saw me looking at him. Didn't think the end can on my bike was that quiet but he obviously never heard me.
Last edited by: gmac on Tue 21 Apr 15 at 12:31
 Green light phobia. - Runfer D'Hills
There will be a whole generation of people with hunched backs when they are older from walking around stooped over phones. Well, the ones that survive that long anyway. Quite a lot of them wander out into traffic while doing it. Perhaps there will be a bit of resultant natural selection.

The other driving phenomenon I'm beginning to notice is the affectation of driving in hooded garments with the hood up. Usually in Corsas for some reason. Can't be much good for their peripheral vision. Perhaps it helps them to focus on their phones.
 Green light phobia. - CGNorwich
There's a dotty old bag lady in Norwich here who walks around reading a book even when crossing the road, one of Norwich's many eccentrics.

My favourite was Marigold, who was a well known figure for many years. A black guy who sported a yellow jacket and a pair of rubber gloves, hence the name, who stood in the middle of the main shopping street laughing and waving his hands as though he was directing traffic.

Used to cause chaos until he was led gently away by the police
 Green light phobia. - WillDeBeest
Corsas are lovely.
My wife had one. With a 1.2 engine. It was very slow. She disliked it. Sort of a frog green. It had a sunroof though, in its defence. She liked that. It had an incurable pull to the left as well come to think.
 Green light phobia. - Focusless
Metal drummer stepson mentioned in the company car thread was telling us at the weekend of how 5 of the band used to sleep in his 1.0 S reg Corsa while touring.

Can't imagine why he's given it all up.

BTW that one seemed to go ok - I think they were lighter then.
Actually this was an old one too, N reg. Maybe it wasn't well. We didn't have it very long.
 Green light phobia. - Focusless
Or perhaps you're comparing yours with Westfields (IIRC?) and Mercs, whereas I'm comparing ours with Yaris, Colt etc. :)
 Green light phobia. - Zero

>> The other driving phenomenon I'm beginning to notice is the affectation of driving in hooded
>> garments with the hood up.

I blame the pushers and purveyors of such fashion faux pas. I bet half them prance about (badly) on mountain bikes thinking they are 16 again.
You may well be right in your demographic theory. Hard to say really.

What I do know is that very few of them would be fat old trainspotters in Chevrolets.

;-)

>> What I do know is that very few of them would be fat old trainspotters
>> in Chevrolets.

It does have a better ring about it than "lancer"
Is that 'ring' in the Australian sense?
>> Is that 'ring' in the Australian sense?

I think not.
Oh I don't know so much. I think 1.6 Lancers are a bit of a bold statement really.

It's like proudly saying to the world that you really have no further truck with or use for self esteem.

Quite brave in many ways. Probably to be applauded in fact. Not many would be that strong.

;-)
Chevrolet Cruze

Sounds good, I could mutter something about big block - I could even wear my hoodie in it

Lancer is so lightweight.
Could drive it to a levy I suppose. If it was dry.
>> Could drive it to a levy I suppose. If it was dry.

Hey, no-one ever sang about a lancer!

understandingamericanpie.com/assets/audio/see_the_usa.wav
 Green light phobia. - PeterS
Not as camp as 'Mitzi' though :p
Dunno, not sure I'd want a car called a "Cruze"...
 Green light phobia. - PeterS
It's a fair point :)
'I put Fifi in the Mitsi' is part of the original final verse of American Pie. Cruelly cut from the single release, it may yet resurface in the forthcoming Retirement Disco Remix, along with 'Drove my Chevy to the levee but the seat wasn't dry.'
>> 'I put Fifi in the Mitsi'

Now i'm liking that. I'll keep it - Thanks
 Green light phobia. - CGNorwich
Were you the toad?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv1jIK154F4

...and they were singing, Pies pies, who ate all the pies?...
In my Chevy feeling heavy, watching trains going by
 Green light phobia. - Armel Coussine
Don't knock Chevrolet chaps.

Did many miles as a child in what were called 'fifteen hundredweight trucks'. They had been passed on to the Navy by the Americans after the war in the East. They had obviously been churned out in huge numbers by the US for use absolutely anywhere.

They were forward-control brick-shaped vehicles, driver and front passenger on either side of the engine with a third on top of it if necessary. The front part was metal roofed, with a round cover for a machine-gunner over the passenger seat, but the rest was made of sort of hardboard with external timber framing, like an estate car. The engine was a smallish side-valve V8, about 3.5 litres, with a three-speed gearbox and a relay two speed box; it had three gear levers like a jeep, and could use 4wd or 2wd. It really could go pretty well anywhere being light in weight and having very large ground clearance and huge knobbly tyres.

The vehicle was extremely noisy, gear whine and engine roar, and extremely hot and tiring to travel in. It could carry about fifteen men. I absolutely loved the things, but my father didn't. They drank petrol.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 21 Apr 15 at 15:22
 Green light phobia. - John Boy
>> Did many miles as a child in what were called 'fifteen hundredweight trucks'. They had been passed on to the Navy by the Americans after the war in the East.

Those vehicles were a familiar sight in my Lincolnshire childhood because army surplus ones were used extensively by a local farmer. The Observers Fighting Vehicles Directory - World War II indicates that the cab was also used by Ford and GM/Chrysler on various vehicles up to 3ton. I've always liked the utilitarian nature of the design, but, sadly, I've never had a ride in one.
Latest Forum Posts