Motoring Discussion > The Chinese are coming Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Tooslow Replies: 10

The Chinese are coming - Tooslow
tinyurl.com/376xc9t

Key quotes:

"But there was one last puzzle, why so few of the Chinese-branded cars are now exported."

"There's so much demand for cars inside China now," he told me, "the new makers don't need to export."

So they don't need your business. But when they decide it's worth going for, watch out.

JH
 The Chinese are coming - RattleandSmoke
I don't think we should be worried. The cars will be pirated all the way through. They probably even have pirated ECU software! All I will see is the Great Wall Peri I complete copy of the Panda. They are not allowed to sell it in Europe because FIAT took out an injunction on them.

Didn't our motorcycle manufacturers say something similar? And tv. And ship. And...

JH
 The Chinese are coming - Old Navy
I read somewhere that there isn't enough oil production or processing to support the predicted expansion of the Chinese car market.
 The Chinese are coming - RattleandSmoke
Do you mean they won't have the oil to produce the car, or they won't have enough oil to run the cars?

The Chinese are coming - Old Navy
>> Do you mean they won't have the oil to produce the car, or they won't
>> have enough oil to run the cars?
>>
Run them, all 21 million of them in the next few years. I suspect refinery capacity is the problem.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 11 Jul 10 at 16:25
The oil industry will do what it has always done. Find more and process it, probably at higher cost. Only about 30% of what is in a well is extracted. One day it will run out. Until then it will just get more expensive.

Invest in buggy whip manufacturers. remember where you heard it first.

JH
 The Chinese are coming - Avant
"Didn't our motorcycle manufacturers say something similar? And tv. And ship. And... "

Yes they did. And they said it in the early 1960s about the Japanese car industry. I can remember the Autocar road test of the first Japanese car to be sold here - the Daihatsu Compagno Berlina, which I think was what it was called. It was a fair test, but not a great car, and the general view was that Japan was no threat to the British car industry.......
 The Chinese are coming - Zero
>> It was a fair test, but not a great car, and the general view was
>> that Japan was no threat to the British car industry.......

And in thruth it never was. The problem was the rest of the world including our near continental neighbours....

The Chinese are coming - Ian (Cape Town)
Go to youtube and look for chinese car crash tests...
 The Chinese are coming - dogwalker
tinyurl.com/32unkg4
Latest Forum Posts