Motoring Discussion > Mitsubishi Outlander II - Selling well Company Cars
Thread Author: Alastairw Replies: 15

Mitsubishi Outlander II - Selling well - Alastairw
There suddenly seems to be a lot of Outlanders about, specifically the PHEV version.

I assume buyers are attracted to it because of its very low CO2 rating and hence reduced BIK charge. The car achieves this low rating by being a plug in hybrid - the EU tests start with a fully charged battery, as I understand it.

I do wonder how many are actually plugged in each night, and are actually getting anywhere near the advertised emission level.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Selling well - Manatee
I had a go in one a few weeks ago when I had my Outlander II (the PHEV is a III I assume) serviced.

Quite liked it and they offered me a good deal on the demo car.

As usual though the government has got the incentives all wrong. It will only do about 20 miles (nominally 32) on electric, then about 35mpg on the petrol/electric. A full charge is 12kWh so 70p - £1.50 depending on whether you have Economy 7. If I needed a new car I might consider it but for me it wouldn't save much, certainly not worth writing a cheque for £17k to update my four year old car to one.

As a company car the BIK is at 5%, and that is where they are going. My guess is that most of the users won't bother to plug them in, and if they are high mileage drivers then there is essentially no environmental benefit.

New ones now have 5 year guarantee including the batteries. A battery set is about £4500.

They are congestion charge exempt which might help some people - not me.
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 23 Apr 15 at 21:14
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Selling well - Boxsterboy
I read somewhere that it was the "top-selling electric vehicle", however you define that (presumably including plug- in hybrids with petrol engines. But yes, I wonder how many get charged every night too.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Selling well - Runfer D'Hills
I'd think company car drivers would be highly unlikely to plug one in at home anyway. Why use "your" electricity when you can use your employer's petrol? ( if it's a fully expensed car ) it might be more tempting to plug it in for those who pay their own private mileage but then that's normally worked out on a pro rata basis. So for example, a car which gets used for 500 business miles in a week and 50 private miles costs whatever it costs in fuel and the driver "pays" for the 50 miles worth of private use. So does he pay for the averaged cost and lose the electricity he's put in it or think to hell with that and just not bother and take the bik benefit.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Thu 23 Apr 15 at 21:38
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Selling well - WillDeBeest
Why would anyone without a fuel card choose not to use domestic electricity at a cost of 5p a mile (£1.50 a charge, lasting 30 miles) instead of petrol at 14p a mile (£1.12 a litre at 8 miles per litre)? And how many have fuel cards anyway? They were in steep decline even when I was last in company car world, ten years ago.

Maybe your company scheme is different but with mine I have an incentive to minimize fuel costs as I'm reimbursed by the mile, not for the fuel I put in. If plugging in saves me expensive petrol, that's an incentive to do it.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Thu 23 Apr 15 at 21:48
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Selling well - Runfer D'Hills
Simple arithmetic for me. Car does 1000 miles of which I do 100 private, I have receipts for £X amount of fuel in the period so I charge 9/10 of £X on my expenses.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Thu 23 Apr 15 at 21:57
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Selling well - Auntie Lockbrakes
I purchased a new Outlander for SWMBO just a couple of months ago.

Quite fancied the idea of the PHEV - especially for the short around-town journeys she does most days - but ended up buying the diesel version instead. The purchase price was a couple of grand lower than the PHEV, and day-to-day real world economy is just as good I'd wager.

Plus the diesel version has 7 seats (which I doubt we'll use but might come in useful) whereas the PHEV is only available as a 5-seater, with the electric gubbins under the boot floor taking the space of the 2 rearmost seats.

Still think I prefer the looks of the new X-Trail, but they are petrol-only here in ANZ...
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Selling well - ....
>> I do wonder how many are actually plugged in each night, and are actually getting
>> anywhere near the advertised emission level.
>>

Not many of you believe the Telegraph.
tinyurl.com/ozhtzdn

Probably just confirming what has been mentioned about company funded vehicles.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Selling well - ....
I meant to write if, of could be just as valid though.
Must get new glasses.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Selling well - WillDeBeest
Not many of you believe the Telegraph.
}:---D
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Selling well - Stuartli
Shame that Mitsubishi doesn't have the presence in the UK it used to have, whether for cars and other vehicles, excellent televisions and well liked computer monitors (which used the Sony Trinitron system under licence and known as Diamondtron), some of which were re-badged under the Dell name.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Selling well - Falkirk Bairn
Outlander PHEV is £35K - Company car BIK tax is 5%

CRV is £32K - Company car BIK tax is 28%

hence the appeal to company car drivers.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Selling well - cosec
Hi, long time lurker here. I got my Outlander PHEV in December as a company car. Very happy with it. My wife is the main driver, and gets around 25 miles on The batteries before the petrol engine kicks in.

Very comfortable, easy to drive and plenty of space. We charge it whenever it is at home. I had a home charging unit fitted and have got in the habit of plugging it in each time I park up. Very clever drive train, just switches itself between battery and petrol when it thinks best, although you can do it yourself.

Not sure what difference the different regeneration modes make. You can fiddle with them using paddles but I don't bother often.

All in all a great car for us and so much cheaper to run than our V70 we had before.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Selling well - Alastairw
Glad to hear you like it, and you plug in regularly. I suspect you are the exception to the rule though. After all not everyone has a driveway to park in.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Selling well - cosec
My parking area is not outside my house, so I ran 30 metres of armoured cable from my shed, where there is a fuse box. Buried the cable a foot or so deep and Polar attached the unit to a wall next to my parking space for free under a govt scheme. One thing to watch, if you are considering getting a plug in, is that, although the car came with a charge cable with a 3 pin plug, it does not have the sort of cable you need to use the public charge network. Mitsubishi want 200 quid or so for one of these so try to get one thrown in with the deal.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - Selling well - Auntie Lockbrakes
Haven't got such problems with the diesel version ;-)

In response to Stuartli a few posts above, didn't I read that Mitsubishi UK were hiring hundreds of people last year, because sales are growing healthily?

The new Triton pick-up might further boost their sales, it seems to have been well-received.
Latest Forum Posts