Motoring Discussion > 1984 coming to your car after 2018 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 12

1984 coming to your car after 2018 - Falkirk Bairn
Car tracking to be standard fit on all cars manufactured after 2018

tinyurl.com/lufgvch

Good idea or flawed EU Regulation?

1984 coming to your car after 2018 - sooty123
I think it's already on cars for sale now in the UK and in many other countries such as the US and I believe S.Korea. I guess if it bothered you that much you could just disconnect it somehow. It'll be quite a while before cars fitted with it get down to my price range so not an issue for me for quite some time.
 1984 coming to your car after 2018 - commerdriver
I would have thought you are pretty well monitored already where you are FB, much of the central lowland belt, certainly in towns, is probably pretty well covered with CCTV, as is the rest of the UK in populated areas.
 1984 coming to your car after 2018 - Zero
>> Car tracking to be standard fit on all cars manufactured after 2018
>>
>> tinyurl.com/lufgvch
>>
>> Good idea or flawed EU Regulation?

well its not exactly 1984 is it.
 1984 coming to your car after 2018 - PeterS
This technology has been in BMWs for well over 10 years in the UK anyway; the 2005 BMW 5 series I had was fitted with it. Doesn't it only make a call if initiated by the car in the event of a crash, or by the driver actively selecting it? Can't see any particular problem with it. For simple tracking it's surely no different to carrying a mobile phone?
 1984 coming to your car after 2018 - jc2
Many cars aleady have it;it's part of "SYNC" on Fords.If the car suffers an impact sufficient to trigger airbags,it calls emergency services anywhere in the EU.And a signal can be triggered by occupants without use of automatic system.
 1984 coming to your car after 2018 - Shiny
Many cars are already 'online' and have microphones and GPS so will just be software.
Many new cars will be self-driving by them as the top of the range models of the premium brands already are, so I suppose this will be a requirement of that too as there may be no driver to report a crash or where the car is.
 1984 coming to your car after 2018 - Dieselboy
Ridiculous idea.

Whilst an ambulance is making its way to an accident reported by a computer, what happens to the guy having a cardiac arrest, or the old dear lying on the floor with a fractured hip?
 1984 coming to your car after 2018 - Alastairw
I imagine there will be a double check when the computer reports an incident. eg: an operator calls the vehicle owner, or checks if any other reports have come from the same location.
 1984 coming to your car after 2018 - Bill Payer
>> I imagine there will be a double check when the computer reports an incident. eg:
>> an operator calls the vehicle owner, or checks if any other reports have come from
>> the same location.
>>

There's a story in another forum of a guy who spun his BMW into a barrier on the M40 and by the time he came to a stop the Operator was already talking to him.

I imagine the shock of that might finish you off!
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Fri 1 May 15 at 10:13
 1984 coming to your car after 2018 - jc2
Exactly the same as when an ambulance is called by phone.
>> Ridiculous idea.
>>
>> Whilst an ambulance is making its way to an accident reported by a computer, what
>> happens to the guy having a cardiac arrest, or the old dear lying on the
>> floor with a fractured hip?
>
I tried to stop ambulance once when he was on a "call"; he would only radio the request in to HQ.-he then carried on with the job he was on.
 1984 coming to your car after 2018 - wokingham
One can be tracked by a mobile phone ine ones car. TomTom randomly select some Vodafone phones to generate traffic flow information, or so they told me.
 1984 coming to your car after 2018 - Shiny
When emergency services are called to a car accident, they try and claim the cost back from your insurer, so now even if they are not needed/wanted will they bill your insurer?
Latest Forum Posts