Motoring Discussion > New Car Buying / Selling
Thread Author: mikeyb Replies: 24

New Car - mikeyb
Well, after much deliberating the Sharan has gone. It was due its next service, pads were low and cam belt was 18 months overdue so it was at the point of either spend a few quid and keep, or move it on.

New arrival is a 2 year old Lexus CT200h. No need for 7 seats or the space, most of my journeys are solo except a few trips picking up / dropping kids off at activities, and hopefully my driving routine will suit the hybrid drive train.

Still on the first tank - drive back from the dealer averaged 62 mpg, but since using day to day the average has dropped to 53.. Not surprised by this as Mrs B has been behind the wheel and has a rather heavy right foot. My target figure was to achieve anything over 50 so happy so far.

First impressions are that the seats are very comfortable, and the cabin has been very well built. Nice ICE / Nav system. Reviews all criticise the ride quality, but I was lucky enough to find one that was high spec, but previous owner had opted for the smaller 16" wheels - dealer told me it makes quite a difference to the ride quality, and although its firm, its not unpleasant. I might post a further update a couple of months in when I've got used to it a bit more.
 New Car - WillDeBeest
Reviews I've read have been damning about engine refinement - or its absence. This would be a dealbreaker for me in a 'premium' car (although somehow Mercedes still manages to sell the C220 CDI) but evidently you've found it acceptable. I've not tried one - although it's in the right size and price range for me - so I'd be interested to know how you find it.
 New Car - mikeyb
>> Reviews I've read have been damning about engine refinement - or its absence. This would
>> be a dealbreaker for me in a 'premium' car (although somehow Mercedes still manages to
>> sell the C220 CDI) but evidently you've found it acceptable. I've not tried one -
>> although it's in the right size and price range for me - so I'd be
>> interested to know how you find it.

Well having come out of a PD engined sharan anything feels refined :-)

Seriously though the engine isn't really audible until you push past 4K. I think its another example of journalists driving at the limit, and that's not what this car is about. If you want something to press on in then this isn't for you, but for my 14 miles commute which consists of short motorway blast then slow moving traffic it works really well. The motorway element ensures the battery is well charged, then I often crawl for long periods on the battery alone

I think its a marmite car - the journalists hate it, but read owners review's and they love it
 New Car - Avant
This is borne out by the latest Auto Express survey where (not for the first time) Lexus have scored very highly. Mikeyb is absolutely right: drive to a hybrid's strengths and it will suit you perfectly. Indulge in furious bursts of acceleration and drive it to its limits (as young road testers love to do) and you'll be disappointed.

Hybrids (particularly Lexus and Toyota) sell well to thoughtful people who have worked out just what they need from their car. A plug-in would in theory suit my needs very well: hopefully as they make more of them the price will become more realistic. At the moment, for example, the premium of about £8,000 of an Audi A3 e-tron over an ordinary A3 1.4TSI would take an awful long time to recover by energy saving.
Last edited by: Avant on Thu 30 Apr 15 at 22:52
 New Car - Crankcase
I see Toyota have just announced the end of production for the current plug in Prius in July, with no word (perhaps as yet) about a replacement.

They REALLY don't want to do EV anymore. They are fixed on the fuel cell being the future.

New Car - Zero

>> They REALLY don't want to do EV anymore.

Current market lost its spark and gone a bit flat? problem is not everyone can charge their vehicle at ohm.
 New Car - CGNorwich
"not everyone can charge their vehicle at ohm."

Is that because Toyota have lost their lead?
 New Car - Bromptonaut
>> Current market lost its spark and gone a bit flat? problem is not everyone can
>> charge their vehicle at ohm.

Watt a pain that would be; down to earth with a bump. Alternating between cars 'cos one was flat would be a real negative. I'd re-fuse to even try such an option.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 1 May 15 at 08:57
 New Car - Londoner
I'm not positive, but I think some of these puns are re-VOLT-ing.
 New Car - Zero
>> I'm not positive, but I think some of these puns are re-VOLT-ing.

I'm shocked at how polarised you are.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 1 May 15 at 12:47
 New Car - henry k
Watt an accumulation of data Toyota must have and then to leave all those Pius taxi drivers without a replacement.
Meanwhile Tesla are on a new track.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32545081
 New Car - Crankcase
Taxi drivers don't use the plug-in. It's not the hybrid that's in limbo, it's the MUCH smaller selling plug-in.

Although even the standard Prius hybrid seems to be struggling to find a niche now, given they have the only slightly smaller cheaper Auris that's pretty much as good. But there IS a new hybrid Prius due this/next year.
 New Car - Zero
>> Taxi drivers don't use the plug-in.

I know, and isn't that silly. A lot of taxis spend a lot of time stationary at a rank, then shoot off on a short journey,and then back to the rank. Perfect for plug in electric vehicles, but of course no-one has completed the circle of common sense and provided the means to plug in.
 New Car - Crankcase
Not owning one, I wonder whether there are any caveats about partial charging? It's possible, perhaps, that you "ought" to do a full charge rather than continuously interrupting it. Just a guess.
 New Car - Zero
>> Not owning one, I wonder whether there are any caveats about partial charging? It's possible,
>> perhaps, that you "ought" to do a full charge rather than continuously interrupting it. Just
>> a guess.

Using that old advice, one would also be unable to do very short journeys, as it hadn't been completely discharged. Hybrids seems to have overcome those limitations, I don't hear horror stories of people have knackered batteries after 3 years.
 New Car - ....
You wouldn't, they're under warranty for 8 years.
Our Auris Hybrid has just had it's first battery rebuild (3 cells) after two months.
I was swapping the winter to summer tyres, had the radio on for 40 minutes while doing it, BT connected to mobile for Tune-In radio, no start-y. Packed the car after standing overnight in Edinburgh, no interior lights left on no lights on, no start-y. Both times had to hook up a trickle charger to get it going.
Currently (to continue the joke) monitoring, so far so good.
 New Car - mikeyb
>> You wouldn't, they're under warranty for 8 years.
>> Our Auris Hybrid has just had it's first battery rebuild (3 cells) after two months.

Think you've been really unlucky. Before I decided on hybrid I kept scouring the net for battery issues and couldn't find any. My understanding is that the software that manages the charge / use of the battery is very clever and has a bias towards battery preservation / longevity
 New Car - ....
The way I see it is we've been lucky.
If it needs batteries frequently then it's going back after three years and we move on. If it's any good then we might keep it.
How is the Lexus interior holding up? Have go say Toyota is a bit poor, took me three goes at the shiny plastic under the glovebox to make it stay. Honda Jazz is much better in this area.

After two Volvos I'm amazed how Japanese cars are top of JD Power survey's.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 1 May 15 at 20:43
 New Car - mikeyb
>> The way I see it is we've been lucky.
>> If it needs batteries frequently then it's going back after three years and we move
>> on. If it's any good then we might keep it.
>> How is the Lexus interior holding up? Have go say Toyota is a bit poor,

Interior feels well built - no squeaks or rattles so far

Prius could have been a consideration but the cheap plastics and tinny feel put me off. Even though the CT is the entry point to Lexus ownership its a nice place to be. Mine is the Luxury spec, so it has leather and fold up/down sat nav screen which help. The seats are fantastic - easily as good as my Volvo V60's, and although I've not done any more than about 40 miles in one go it feels like you would get out with your back still on one piece after a long drive
 New Car - NortonES2
I've heard the 12v battery has had some glitches. Linked with current drain from hazard switch IIRC. Similar symptoms. Toyota Owners Club has some details. Supposed to have been sorted. Bit surprised the HV side has been involved, as it seems robust by all accounts. Was thinking of Auris but maybe not!
 New Car - ....
>> I've heard the 12v battery has had some glitches. Linked with current drain from hazard
>> switch IIRC. Similar symptoms. Toyota Owners Club has some details. Supposed to have been sorted.

I'd read about the battery, hazard light switch and interior lights going open circuit after dimming. If it was a general problem I'd expect it to be addressed by the dealer prior to delivery. It could have been awkward if the car failed to start on a packed North Sea ferry at unloading.

The comments above about motoring journalists are true in our case too. They gave the car 2 out of 5, my wife loves it (when it's working).

Something to consider with the Japanese cars is service interval, ours requires a visit to the garage every 15,000 kms, that's 9,500 miles or 12 months.
 New Car - NortonES2
There is said to be a Toyota fix (requiring rest of ECU) but Toyota dealers are not perfect! Link (6pages) seems to indicate a bit of bother: priuschat.com/threads/toyota-auris-excel-hybrid-uk-with-a-flat-battery-again.136658/
Out of interest, what was actually done to fix your Hybrid?
 New Car - ....
>> Out of interest, what was actually done to fix your Hybrid?
>>
The 12v battery was replaced, they also said 3 cells in the pack were swapped out as they were not performing. The in car indicator never showed full for the battery pack. It does go better since they did whatever they did.
No mention of ECU resets, this info is all second hand, I wasn't actually there, my wife took it in, the above is what she was told.
 New Car - sooty123
Before I decided on hybrid I kept scouring the net
>> for battery issues and couldn't find any. My understanding is that the software that manages
>> the charge / use of the battery is very clever and has a bias towards
>> battery preservation / longevity
>>

I understand many taxi drivers in Japan use them with few problems. So I heard, anyone been to confirm it?
 New Car - Falkirk Bairn
D-i-L has a CT - 12 months later and an average of 53mpg (computer) which is not bad as she has lead feet - it replaced a RAV4 that at best was 30mpg - Petrol savings about £150 per month. 100% reliable, only servicing required.

Had my first longish spell of 70 miles in it last Sunday - car seemed OK, the only complaint I had was with the D-i-L's driving but that is not the car's fault.
Latest Forum Posts