Motoring Discussion > P Plates - do they work? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 12

P Plates - do they work? - Rudedog
My son has just got his first car after passing his test.

Do other drivers make allowances for 'P' plate drivers or are they ignored?
 P Plates - do they work? - Fenlander
From my experience many drivers ignore L-plates on a private car so I see little hope for P-plates.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 2 May 15 at 12:40
 P Plates - do they work? - Harleyman
I think they're a good idea, but I also think they're of little use on their own. I'd prefer to see other limitations especially for younger drivers; perhaps we could start with a legal requirement for ICE systems to be turned off and a ban on baseball caps being worn back-to-front by semi-feral passengers.
 P Plates - do they work? - Old Navy
>> I think they're a good idea, but I also think they're of little use on their own.
>>

They are additional information for observant drivers, but as many seem to be texting or otherwise distracted, same as above.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 2 May 15 at 13:06
 P Plates - do they work? - Aretas
My daughter found they gave her confidence to drive alone.

I live in a road used daily by L drivers and always give them the time they need. Would love to see more use of P plate as it would take away the frustration of wondering why someone doesn't get a move on.
 P Plates - do they work? - Mike H
Our son used them for a week or so after he passed his test some 12 years ago, but he took them off after a week or so. I think it's more a bit of a comfort feeling for the new driver, I'm really not sure whether it helped. If he wants to put them on, then let him, it might give him more confidence.
 P Plates - do they work? - Zero
Its a good idea, and it is a confidence builder for the learner, and I do tend to give them a bit of leeway (they are allowed 1 second rather than .0001 at a green light before they get a blast of horn)
 P Plates - do they work? - Armel Coussine
Plates won't save your nyash in London or places with serious traffic. They're pretty useless and embarrassing. No one really notices them.

My first three years on the road were plateless and more or less illegal. The authorities didn't give a damn one way or the other. Times may have changed a bit though.

'Probationer'. Tee hee!
 P Plates - do they work? - Runfer D'Hills
>>before they get a blast of horn...

Yeah, I guess you would want to keep that thing rolling when possible. Must take a while to get it back up to 30 from a standing start.
 P Plates - do they work? - Zero
>> >>before they get a blast of horn...
>>
>> Yeah, I guess you would want to keep that thing rolling when possible. Must take
>> a while to get it back up to 30 from a standing start.

Its better if they don't stop to be honest.
 P Plates - do they work? - Rudedog
Thanks everyone, I'll pass on your advice but in the end it will be up to him. Went for his first solo drive for about an hour and then reversed down the drive to park up, seems ok so far.
 P Plates - do they work? - Dave_
To pass the test, a driver must have reached the standard at which they no longer require any special signs or notices marking them out for different treatment by other road users.

I give cars displaying P-plates a wide berth but not exactly for the reason intended by their users. All they tell me is that the driver hasn't got any confidence in their own driving ability.
 P Plates - do they work? - Mike Hannon
In France it's an 'A' plate and I think I'm right in saying that the law requires it to be displayed for 12 months. There are also different scales of fines and punishments for offences committed in the first year after passing the driving test.
I'm with Dave on this one - except that in my experience over here it's a clue to the fact they have too much confidence in their own ability.

Latest Forum Posts