Motoring Discussion > Toyota Yaris - 10 Years of Yaris ownership.
Thread Author: madf Replies: 18

Toyota Yaris - 10 Years of Yaris ownership. - madf
We bought our Toyota Yaris D4d in May 2005 when it was 2.5 years old. It is now nearly 13 years old. It had done 23k miles: now 60k .

In that time it has had :
1 set of front disks and pads
1 change of coolant when 10 years old..- Toyota Longlife (10 year OAT ) coolant.
1 Toyota service followed by annual oil and oil filter changes by me.
5 new tyres: 1 set of four plus one due to a puncture.
Three sets of front and rear wiper blades.
One new battery in 2013.
One replacement heater blower resistor..in 2015.
Alloy wheels rubbed down and resprayed by me using aerosols in 2009. (need doing again).
Three air filters, 3 pollen filters and two fuel filters.
Replacement of airconditioning fluid in 2010.
Reseating of two tyres on alloy wheels due to corrosion in 2015 (£20).

Err that's it.

The exhaust and auxiliary belts are original. As are all the glowplugs .And all the lightbulbs.

The paint is a little scratched and there is a small dent above one wheelarch where someone reversed into it. No rust whatsoever either on body or components (waxoil/dinitrol ).

It failed its last MOT - the first time ever - due to soot. A 20 mile Italian tune up meant it passed its retest FOC.

Starts first time, every time..Averages 45mpg.. Average journey length now 2 miles (no DPF).

I've never owned such a car..

Toyota Yaris - 10 Years of Yaris ownership. - sooty123
Sounds like a good 'un, mind you it's done few miles and it's Toyota so to be expected in a way. We are pretty happy with the Auris, it's had to have both rear calipers changed due to them seizing up. And there's a dodgy a/c back light on the dash that it in 2 years and 20k.
 Toyota Yaris - 10 Years of Yaris ownership. - Old Navy
My Yaris D4d is just a baby, eight months old and a couple of weeks short of its first 10K mile service. Averaging 55mpg (best tank 60.8mpg) in mixed light traffic use. I have not been aware of any DPF regenerations, lots of NSL use keeps it clean. Nothing has broken or fallen off.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 2 May 15 at 20:59
 Toyota Yaris - 10 Years of Yaris ownership. - Londoner
That's excellent, madf!

Legendary Toyota durability.

I wonder if the story would have been slightly different if the car DID have a DPF.
>> I wonder if the story would have been slightly different if the car DID have
>> a DPF.
>>

With an average journey of two miles, almost certainly.
 Toyota Yaris - 10 Years of Yaris ownership. - Boxsterboy
>> That's excellent, madf!
>>
>> Legendary Toyota durability.
>>

Built in France, IIRC?
 Toyota Yaris - 10 Years of Yaris ownership. - Bill Payer
>> Average journey length now 2 miles..
>>
Does it have any kind of heater booster? Otherwise it must be a nightmare in winter.
My D4d is the fastest warming car I have owned. It produces heat within a mile but does not have any heater assistance as far as I know. My diesel Ceed had PTC heater assistance but took longer to produce heat.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 2 May 15 at 22:37
The rapid warm up could be due to the all alloy engine and small (4.5 L) coolant capacity. All my previous cars have had iron block engines.
>> My diesel
>> Ceed had PTC heater assistance but took longer to produce heat.
>>

I had a previous edition Merc A Class as a courtesy car and that has PTC heater assistance. Heat production was almost instant, like turning a hair dryer on.

I'm not sure, but I think due to the current it takes it only works when the car is moving - same as the electric engine heater in my older Merc C270CDi. But even that is producing warm air after a few hundred yards. Takes 15 miles to thoroughly warm up though.
 Toyota Yaris - 10 Years of Yaris ownership. - madf
>> >> Average journey length now 2 miles..
>> >>
>> Does it have any kind of heater booster? Otherwise it must be a nightmare in
>> winter.
>>

No : it takes 2 miles to warm up. When the heater resistor failed, it had no heater fan except flat out! Which explains why we bought a petrol Jazz: 1 mile warm up...
 Toyota Yaris - 10 Years of Yaris ownership. - Runfer D'Hills
That's great madf. It's always nice when you get a good one.

I dot back and forth to Italy quite often for work and the thing I notice there is that, the people I know anyway, tend to keep their cars long term.

The general habit seems to be to buy new or very nearly new and just keep them. Usually quite basic cars by our UK standards ( as in low bling factor models ) I guess the climate helps to preserve them but I feel it's more than that, more in fact a mindset thing.

There will be other factors of course, it's not cheap to buy and run a car ( especially a "premium" one ) there so it's more of a financial commitment but there also seems to be less urgency to have to have the latest model than some seem to feel here.

For example, I know a CEO of a large and very successful company who uses a 10 year old diesel Passat estate, a marketing director of a premium fashion brand who has an old Panda ( and a Harley Davidson in fairness ), an international sales director with a 12 year old Golf ( and a series 1 Land Rover ) etc etc...

These are guys with serious money in some cases and wonderful lifestyles/properties but they just don't seem to bother about having new cars all the time. Quite refreshing in some ways.
 Toyota Yaris - 10 Years of Yaris ownership. - legacylad
I can empathise with those people Runfer. Apart from the fact that my car is quite impractical for my current needs (taking two ancients out for a regular drive & shopping on my days off. And having to hitch up my trailer for mower etc which is becoming a pain) after 7 years of owning the BM I see no need to change. I don't care it's 11 yo. Having just driven 420 miles, three up, in the past 36 hours and spent 13 hours on the hill, it did everything I needed. Slightly cramped three up, with wet gear and muddy boots, slightly thirsty @ 32 mpg overall, but an effortless 3 hour cruise home from just south of Edinburgh, with an average speed in the high sixties. Considerably more on the 74/M6 sections.
ps. The mountain bikers staying at our Innerleithen B & B were very impressed with the local trails. Quite demanding apparently. As was heather bashing for several miles over trackless terrain.
>> There will be other factors of course, it's not cheap to buy and run a
>> car ( especially a "premium" one ) there so it's more of a financial commitment
>> but there also seems to be less urgency to have to have the latest model
>> than some seem to feel here.
>>
I think the registration system we have here, which I think is unique, ages cars really fast.

I'm convinced that the new car market would collapse if we moved to dateless plates.
 Toyota Yaris - 10 Years of Yaris ownership. - WillDeBeest
The car industry finds ways to build in obsolescence in the form of year-by-year changes. The US makers are masters at it, so that you don't have to be a motor-geek to recognize them. That's how we get lines like

...When Tina pulled up in a black '82 Trans Am.
and
Johnny's got one on an '86 T Bird,
Pull up slow, just as close as I can.

[Virtual coconut to anyone who can identify those two.]
>> The car industry finds ways to build in obsolescence in the form of year-by-year changes.

It has its uses, my Yaris is one of the last pre facelift models. It is fully loaded with goodies, some not available at all on the facelifted models. Bought pre registered it was a good buy for me. I can live with a different front grille / bumper to the latest one.
 Toyota Yaris - 10 Years of Yaris ownership. - Boxsterboy

>> ...When Tina pulled up in a black '82 Trans Am.
>> and
>> Johnny's got one on an '86 T Bird,
>> Pull up slow, just as close as I can.

>>
>> [Virtual coconut to anyone who can identify those two.]
>>

Well a Ford Thunderbird won't be sharing any panels or parts with a Pontiac Trans Am, will it?

Or did you mean the song? Bruce Springsteen by any chance?
 Toyota Yaris - 10 Years of Yaris ownership. - ToMoCo
>> ...When Tina pulled up in a black '82 Trans Am.

Chris Cummings

>> Johnny's got one on an '86 T Bird,
>> Pull up slow, just as close as I can.

The Bottle Rockets

>> [Virtual coconut to anyone who can identify those two.]
:)
 Toyota Yaris - 10 Years of Yaris ownership. - WillDeBeest
Only half a coconut for what I trust was googling. Chris who?

I had to google him myself. He obviously had more budget than Dan Baird - although he still had to settle for a blue Trans Am in his video. (No idea what year it is.) That's a very sad and pedestrian cover of the glorious original, which is one of my top ten album closers.
Latest Forum Posts