Motoring Discussion > A painless tax ! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 29

A painless tax ! - Old Navy
I renewed the VED for the Yaris today, it took seconds online, total cost for one year £0. I can live with that !
 A painless tax ! - NortonES2
How satisfying! Looking forward to next vehicle with nil or very low VED. Joy out of all proportion to the financial pain of getting a newish car, but there we are.
 A painless tax ! - legacylad
I've just paid £290. Approximately 50% of its annual depreciation over the past 7 years. I'm more than happy with that, although I think a suitable replacement would cost slightly less in VED.
But a heck of a lot more in depreciation.
 A painless tax ! - Robin O'Reliant
>> I renewed the VED for the Yaris today, it took seconds online, total cost for
>> one year £0. I can live with that !
>>
You shouldn't be allowed on the roads if you don't pay road tax.

(Or so people keep telling us cyclists, anyway).
>> You shouldn't be allowed on the roads if you don't pay road tax.
>>
>> (Or so people keep telling us cyclists, anyway).

At least I have a licence so am qualified to be there, insurance in case I damage anything (or one). And I stop at red lights and don't use one way streets in the wrong direction. I also stay out of large vehicles blind spots.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 5 May 15 at 19:34
 A painless tax ! - Bromptonaut
>> At least I have a licence so am qualified to be there, insurance in case
>> I damage anything (or one). And I stop at red lights and don't use one
>> way streets in the wrong direction. I also stay out of large vehicles blind spots.

I suspect the vast majority of adult cyclists hold a car or bike licence. In unlikely event of the anti cycling wet dream of a push bike licence being reality car or PTW qualification would surely permit pedal bikes - as now for mopeds. And of course most of us have insurance either through membership of CTC etc or via household cover.
So that just leaves red lights, one way streets, and blind spots.
 A painless tax ! - No FM2R
>> In unlikely event of the anti cycling wet dream of a push bike licence being reality

Why shouldn't there be one? And why not compulsory TP insurance? And why not some kind of basic test like Cycling Proficiency? And why not some kind of points system for the nth time you shoot across a red light or along a pavement?

It could be marginally costed and paid for from an insurance tax or licence/test fee.

Is there a better reason than you don't want one?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 5 May 15 at 20:49
>> Why shouldn't there be one? And why not compulsory TP insurance? And why not some
>> kind of basic test like Cycling Proficiency? And why not some kind of points system
>> for the nth time you shoot across a red light or along a pavement?

Laws are a pretty heavy duty solution to problems. Unless, like ON, you're in knee jerk territory legislation needs some kind of business case for (a) gains and (b) opportunity cost of Parliamentary time.

Licences and compulsory TP insurance for motor vehicles came in during mid years of C20 because of carnage on the road and costs of putting damage right. While cyclists misbehaving may irritate they're not causing thousands of fatalities and tens of thousands more serious injuries every year. Cycling has significant health benefits and (qv London) has capacity to displace private cars or public transport for a significant number of short journeys. Legisalting to make cycling 'difficult' would be a disincentive.

Cycling proficiency (now bikeability) covered basic Highway Code stuff and bicycle control. Given that an ordinary car licence allows use of a powered moped it's pretty well inconceivable that any scheme to licence pedal bike riders wouldn't exempt holders of vehicle licences.

Offences like shooting reds and pavement riding already attract penalties. The challenge is the manpower involved in catching infringers v the danger averted.
 A painless tax ! - Lygonos
>>Why shouldn't there be one?

5 year olds can cycle.

Have been able to do so for a century without a licence.

Should they be licenced?

If so I'd like to see that one policed.

If not, should they then sit a test at 16/18?

Probably about as successful as licencing dogs.
 A painless tax ! - Zero

>> Probably about as successful as licencing dogs.

There is a pretty good chance that will come back, with chipping its very much easier to police. And to be honest, it would be a good thing.

And pretty much likely to be pointless as morons don't chip their dogs.
 A painless tax ! - Zero
>> And pretty much likely to be pointless as morons don't chip their dogs.

Its not been compulsory, will be from 2016. Because its easy to check it can be policed at many points of dog support delivery. The park, the vet, even by councils enforcing it on council house tenants.
Chipping cyclists, great idea. I can see Bromp accepting that ! :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 5 May 15 at 22:11
>> Chipping cyclists, great idea. I can see Bromp accepting that ! :-)

Let's just chip everybody.
 A painless tax ! - Zero
>> >> Chipping cyclists, great idea. I can see Bromp accepting that ! :-)
>>
>> Let's just chip everybody.

Plenty carry a chip on here.
 A painless tax ! - legacylad
Beef dripping for me. Frying chips in veg oil. Yuk.
 A painless tax ! - No FM2R

>> 5 year olds can cycle.
>>
>> Have been able to do so for a century without a licence

Ok, I'll give you that one, a show stopper.

Nonetheless i still find the attitude of many adult cyclists most irritating focusing as it does on their "rights" with no mention of their "duties" .
Never been bothered by cyclists on the road, although I suspect it might be because I am very rarely in a city environment.

Can be a pita passing a peleton on a Sunday morning on Scottish Borders single carriageways, but where else will all those lovely livers and kidneys come from?
 A painless tax ! - WillDeBeest
Motorcyclists
>> Can be a pita passing a peleton >>

Or even a couple of cyclists riding abreast and ignoring the queue of traffic behind them.
 A painless tax ! - Cliff Pope

>>
>> It could be marginally costed and paid for from an insurance tax or licence/test fee.
>>

I don't think it needs to be costed at all. What about just milking cyclists for the maximum amount possible, far in excess of the costs of providing cycle paths etc, and the Treasury pocketing the excess?
>> I don't think it needs to be costed at all. What about just milking cyclists
>> for the maximum amount possible, far in excess of the costs of providing cycle paths
>> etc, and the Treasury pocketing the excess?
>>

Edinburgh Council (a classic bunch of loony lefties) have recently constructed a cycle path alongside the A90 from Crammond Brig northwards towards South Queensferry to replace an existing substantial little used pavement / cycle track. This involved realigning a slip road, land purchase, major earth works and stabilisation with steel sheet piling, Armco barriers, etc etc. Traffic queues alongside this new cycle track at busy times due to a traffic management system, this gives a perfect view of the unused white elephant.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 6 May 15 at 08:36
I had noticed these works on passing a few weeks ago - maybe it's for the bazillions of Fifers who'll be using their bikes to cross the new Forth Bridge...

or maybe it has been designed to be easily convertible to tram use.

A painless tax ! - TheManWithNoName
Blimey, this thread must hold the record for going 'off-piste' in as few posts as possible. VED to cyclist bashing in 4 posts.
;-)
> VED to cyclist bashing in 4 posts.
>> ;-)
>>

Mine wasn't cyclist bashing. It was government/treasury bashing for stealing the Road Fund.
 A painless tax ! - Mr. Ecs
Yes you might be paying no tax at the moment but this will change.
Enjoy it why it lasts.
Too many vehicles qualify for zero tax due to cleaner more efficient engines. And any government cannot sustain such a black hole in the taxation from road vehicles.
So be prepared for a change in VED, sooner rather than later.
So how do the players on here think it will morph into ? VED on fuel. Size or weight of vehicle? Or is there any other way the next government will make you and I add to the tax coffers.
No party has addressed the issue during their respective campaigns, so maybe their extra spending on projects promised will come from a new form of VED.
They wouldn't risk alienating drivers pre election. I suspect it will be addressed during the next Parliament, whoever has the reins.
I agree, anyone who expects stationary goalposts is on the wrong planet. :-)
Since my last post I have been reading this weeks Auto Express, on page 14 there is a story about VED change proposals. Apparently band A would be divided into three new bands., 0-50g/km, 51-75g/km, and 76-100g/km. By 2025 about 75% of cars would be in band A squeezing the revenue take.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 6 May 15 at 18:01
It's all so complicated.
Aim - to reduce emissions from burning fossil fuels.
Method - put a tax on burning fossil fuels.

It doesn't matter how people choose to respond to that tax. They might buy a very economical car, or they might buy a gas guzzler and cut their annual mileage.

Latest Forum Posts