Motoring Discussion > Lexus - Middle Age Lexus UK to Murcia advice? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R40 Replies: 12

Lexus - Middle Age Lexus UK to Murcia advice? - R40
Hello again,

Got married (2nd time around) two years ago and can confirm what told, 'always better the second time'. It's great to find this place still going strong, with the always entertaining useful commentary which led me to drop back...

I (still) have a 2004 Lexus SC430 (V8 with metal folding roof) which may need to go sometime soon as SWMBO has her Nissan Juke and I've just bought a 2009 Lexus GS450 hybrid - only room for two cars really and the 450 is supremely comfortable, packed with toys, stupidly fast and handles v well for what is a bit of a barge.

The SC has been a great car for me, totally reliable, comfortable, imo ugly with roof up but looks the dogs with roof down.

Before seriously considering waving the car goodbye we're looking to take it on a much promised European road trip to Murcia in Spain (where in laws live) and back. Going in early September and starting to plan now.

Have done, and enjoyed, a reasonable amount of driving around France/Germany/Luxembourg but no trip of this distance.

Would appreciate any/all advice on roads (to use and not use!), any pratfalls to avoid and things to see/enjoy on the way. The V8 engine will give me 30mpg on the trip, thankfully, but am not going to do the sums just in case I get told it's much too expensive!

Cheers

R

Last edited by: R40 on Wed 6 May 15 at 06:23
 Lexus - Middle Age Lexus UK to Murcia - WillDeBeest
Congratulations, and welcome back.

The whole Atlantic coast of France is a fine drive, the motorways quiet and fast. Further south, the scenery in the Pyrenees is spectacular. I'll defer to others on Spain because that's as far as we've got.

But if you've not seen it - and even if you have - you need to go or return via Millau and the bridge, which is simply jaw-dropping. Stop at the services, have a stroll and a coffee, and take a good, long look. It looks its best early or late in the day, when the sun is low. But do go!

Bonne route!
 Lexus - Middle Age Lexus UK to Murcia - Zero

>> The whole Atlantic coast of France is a fine drive, the motorways quiet and fast.
>> Further south, the scenery in the Pyrenees is spectacular. I'll defer to others on Spain
>> because that's as far as we've got.

Echo what the Beast says, you don't say where in the UK you live, but for this journey I would consider crossing Portsmouth / Caen - Don't plan long driving days or trying to do it quickly.

As he also says, catch the Millau.

Funnily enough, I shall be crossing Murcia in a Juke in June! Doing Torrevieja - Granada - means will have driven over both sets of Sierra Nevadas! Spanish and American!
 Lexus - Middle Age Lexus UK to Murcia advice? - ToMoCo
Another Grand Tour in a Soarer :-)
 Lexus - Middle Age Lexus UK to Murcia advice? - Gromit
Congrats!

I envy you the prospect of a run through France in a cracking V8 :-)

Personally, I'd plump for Brittany Ferries on a crossing into Roscoff, try to get on the Pont Aven and book dinner in Le Flora (not all the BF ferries have table service restaurants, I believe) then...

Cross-country through Brittany towards Pont Aven, then Guerande, Les Sables, La Rochelle, (possible detour: skirt le Marais Poitiven to Royan, ferry across the mouth of the Gironde towards Soulac sur Mer), down to either Medoc or St Estephe depending on which side of the Gironde you're on.

Rejoin the E5, across to Bayone, Biarrits and onwards to St Sebastian. To Bilbao for the Gugenheim, then the long way home via Pau, the Limousin and/or Mirabau as suggested above.

Fill up in hypermarkets rather than on the autoroute where possible - its much cheaper. Check whether the Lexus is OK with petrol containing 5% to10% bioethanol as this is offered on many forecourts now. 98 octane is often, but not universally, available too.

ViaMichelin and the Bison Fute are your friends for route advice and places to stay and eat along the way. I'm happy to dig out suggestions for either from past trips if they're of interest?

Bon voyage!

Edit: Don't forget your hi-viz jacket and disposable breathalysers. Having the hi-vis clearly visible in the car may mean you attract less interest from local Police if you find that unsettling (Gendarmes have a way all their own of scrutinising visitors without saying a word...)
Last edited by: Gromit on Wed 6 May 15 at 09:35
My thanks to all for the warm welcome back which is much appreciated, as is all the great advice.

WillDeBeest; great idea for seeing the Millau Bridge, which is now officially top of our list - can almost smell the coffee at the services!

Zero, so you bought a Juke in the end. Sounds like a great trip in June - how has the car worked out for you?

'Another Grand Tour in a Soarer...' spot on ToMoCo :) quality motors eh!

And Gromit, would love to hear more of places to stay and eat; we're just starting planning so the info would be a real help if it is no trouble - thank you.

Ferry to Caen or Roscoff on the way down sounds good, and come back all the way to Calais on return. Am planning to take 2 or 3 days for the trip out so we can make sure of seeing the sights and not just chasing the next stop. Is three days realistic anyone?

All Lexus Dealers sell a European travel kit with enough breathalysers and hi viz jackets to shake a stick at. £60 thank you very much sir..then saw one new on ebay for £28, bought it only to find out the seller was my local Lexus dealer (Cambridge) shifting stock - bargain I said!

Will update if I may as we get on with the detailed planning. Thxs again for the Millau recommendation; looked it up on the web and wow, simply stunning.

Cheers

R
 Lexus - Middle Age Lexus UK to Murcia advice? - Zero

>> Zero, so you bought a Juke in the end. Sounds like a great trip in
>> June - how has the car worked out for you?

Nooo hiring a Juke in Spain for the week. At 58 quid for 7 days its a bargain
 Lexus - Middle Age Lexus UK to Murcia advice? - MD
A Nismo R I hope?
 Lexus - Middle Age Lexus UK to Murcia advice? - Gromit
R40,
I'd promised some addresses from past trips to France, so in no particular order places I've visited, eaten in or stayed that I'd recommend include:

Cite de la Mer, Lorient (if you've any interest in sailing or adventuring)

Musee d’Automobile, near les Sables d’Olonne on road south towards Talmont www.musee-auto-vendee.com

La Pile d’Assiettes, rue Bremontier, Soulac sur Mer - a welcome change from moules-frites and ice cream :-)

Aquarium (plenty parking, easy to find by satnav), Musee des Modeles Reduites (Rue de la Desiree, behind aquarium), La Rochelle

Margaux: Cave d’Ulysses wine merchants, Le Pavillon de Margaux hotel-restaurant (about the only place to eat or stay in what's actually a tiny village, but very good), Chateau Kirwin (premier cru vineyard, tours without prior appointment necessary, unlike most chateaux in the area)

Limoges: Hotel Jeanne d’Arc - olde worlde coaching inn opposite the railway station, Les Tables du Bistrot, Rue du Grand Thiel - well-regarded restaurant in a barn outside town, Brasserie Michard - sociable microbrewery off the motorway, adjacent to Zenith and & ESTER Technopole (there's another Michard in the town centre, but parking is a problem unless you're staying the night).

Bon route!

Merci Gromit!

Am now route planning and your recommendations have just made the job even more enjoyable...........

Regards

R
 Lexus - Middle Age Lexus UK to Murcia advice? - WillDeBeest
I've noted a few of those too. Margaux isn't far from this summer's holiday venue.

If in La Rochelle, have lunch at À Côté de Chez Fred.
So, following a new starter motor, new battery, new tyres all round and a full service, we set off on our European road trip last Sunday and crossed the breathtakingly beautiful Millau Viaduct, with roof down, on Thursday. We also found time for a visit to Eiffel's Garabit rail viaduct one hour north of the Millau and also mightily impressive.

Route out took in Dunkerque, Reims, Dijon, Beaune, Lyon (through the centre in rush hour!!), Clermont Ferrand, Millefleures, Carcassonne and over into Spain via Barcelona, Valencia for a few days in Los Montesinos.

We will be returning via Zaragoza, San Sebastián, Biarritz, La Rochelle, Bayeux and Caen for the overnight ferry to Portsmouth.

Thanks for all the advice and tips given. Fuel off toll roads is much cheaper, handy with the V8 even when getting 30mpg. Car has proved supremely comfortable, especially on the longer days, and the effortless power available made mountain driving very straightforward.

Temperatures in France of 32C plus meant we were able to drive most of the way top down. We enjoyed time at the world heritage sites at both Beaune and Carcassonne, and have enjoyed great food, and drink along the way.

We have already agreed repeat trips will be made. Now looking forward to fine food at La Rochelle (thanks WillDeBeest) and seeing the tapestry at Bayeux and Overlord beaches.

Will post links to to pictures at Garabit, roof down driving across the Millau and a wide shot of the Viaduct from the view point as soon as can sort the technology!!

Will report on part II on return.

Best wishes and thanks

R40
Last edited by: R40 on Sun 6 Sep 15 at 16:26
www.dropbox.com/s/wdvzg5uwm5ryjmo/2015-09-02%2015.15.28.jpg?dl=0

www.dropbox.com/s/oaj8rwwl8ipqszf/2015-09-02%2012.22.54.jpg?dl=0

www.dropbox.com/s/vu77tqrt1kd7iz0/2015-09-02%2015.38.33.jpg?dl=0J

Latest Forum Posts