Motoring Discussion > You have reached your destination Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dave_ Replies: 22

You have reached your destination - Dave_
tinyurl.com/p7gzen7 (Telegraph)

Driving tests including satnav use on the horizon.
Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Wed 6 May 15 at 22:17
 You have reached your destination - No FM2R
Doesn't seem unreasonable to be honest.

I think that 19yr olds, for example, have often had pretty good control of their vehicle. The challenge comes from using it in a real world environment.
 You have reached your destination - WillDeBeest
...like with a carful of pished-up mates encouraging them to race the car alongside? Perhaps they should include that in the test too.

I suspect this is just another world's-gone-raving-mad-Marjorie piece for the Telegraph faithful. There'll be a grain of truth in it somewhere but it's not to be taken at face value.
Perhaps. Probably, in fact.

But as far as I am concerned the more real world they throw in there the better.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 6 May 15 at 22:40
Why is the button that should be labelled;

"Please make my ignorant, embarrassing, juvenile, uneducated typing, spelling and grammar mistakes obvious by putting a flashing yellow beacon on them so that all and sundry can appreciate my incompetence"

Actually labelled...

"Post Message" ?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 6 May 15 at 22:42
 You have reached your destination - VxFan
"The changes, proposed by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency, could see the three-point turn scrapped"

It's not been called the three-point turn for a number of years now. When I took my test back in 1985 it was referred to as "turn in the road" and to do so with the minimum amount of manoeuvres and without touching the kerbs.
 You have reached your destination - Old Navy
>> It's not been called the three-point turn for a number of years now.

Whatever it is called it is a thinly disguised car control exercise. I think it should be part of the test and done on a steeply cambered road.
 You have reached your destination - Dave_
My eldest is learning to drive currently. She tells me they no longer insist on the driver applying the handbrake between changes of direction in the turn in the road; simply balancing the clutch (it's a diesel) and brake pedals like the rest of us is enough. Slippery slope if you ask me.
 You have reached your destination - Bromptonaut
>> Whatever it is called it is a thinly disguised car control exercise. I think it
>> should be part of the test and done on a steeply cambered road.

While the TPT still has that value it's increasingly unusual to perform one in real life because of heavy traffic and/or parked cars. At least it is in busier parts of England; may be different in Scotland.
 You have reached your destination - henry k
>> While the TPT still has that value it's increasingly unusual to perform one in real
>> life because of heavy traffic and/or parked cars. At least it is in busier parts
>> of England; may be different in Scotland.
>>
In the south I still see three point turns being done in main roads and with no real concern for blocking others progress.
 You have reached your destination - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Whatever it is called it is a thinly disguised car control exercise. I think it
>>

Exactly. No one ever thought it was a useful ability in itself - it's much easier to turn round in a garage forecourt or by reversing into someone's drive. But the point is that it's a fairly standard way of demonstrating precision control.
The same as hill starts without squashing a matchbox under the back wheel, or driving with a glass of water on the bonnet - hardly necessary in real life, but indicative of car control and awareness.
 You have reached your destination - henry k
>>
My first driving test included such an exercise. In my mind it still seemed like three hill starts and a lot of effort. Power steering has softened the exercise.
 You have reached your destination - Slidingpillar
Wonder what they'll do with the deaf? No chance of giving them verbal instructions.

The SP nav often beats Sat Navs anyway, I just have a good memory of turns, and know how to keep track of my direction. Plenty of clues if you know what to look for, clouds and TV aerials being the main ones.
 You have reached your destination - Duncan
>> Plenty of clues if you know what to look for, clouds and TV aerials being the main ones.
>>

The position of the current bun is also a pretty obvious one..
 You have reached your destination - Zero
>> >> Plenty of clues if you know what to look for, clouds and TV aerials
>> being the main ones.
>> >>
>>
>> The position of the current bun is also a pretty obvious one..

Couldn't see it yesterday. I could tell you which ways the trees were bending if thats a help? Can someone point me to the North Cloud please?
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 7 May 15 at 11:47
Plenty of clues? Cool. Which ones indicate roadworks and traffic jams?

I hope there is something because looking up at aerials, clouds and migrating albatross is so much better than watching the road and letting the Sat Nav look around for you.
Which ones indicate roadworks and traffic jams?

A sat nav won't help you with these, you might get an alternative route out of it, but is it any good? Not much help in a car, but gravestones often indicate the prevailing wind, the lichen is on the lee side.
>>A sat nav won't help you with these, you might get an alternative route out of it, but is it any good?

And how do aerials and clouds help you with roadworks?

My Sat Nav absolutely does route according to traffic conditions and thus predicted journey time. Not infallibly, but somewhat more reliably than following migrating albatrosses.
And how do aerials and clouds help you with roadworks?

They don't and I never said they did! But a good sense of direction of travel goes a long way.
>a good sense of direction of travel goes a long way.

True. And it is a source of regret that my ability to find my way around many countries and cities in the world is no longer the advantage that it once was.

Nonetheless, even when I am going somewhere that I already know the best route for, I frequently have the Sat Nav on simply keeping an eye out for traffic and stuff.
 You have reached your destination - helicopter
It happens all the time NoFM2R.....

One small spelling error and your post is completely urined....
Now that's just taking the p.
 You have reached your destination - Boxsterboy
The roads would be a lot safer if these new drivers were taught how to phone/text/email whilst driving ;-)
Latest Forum Posts