Motoring Discussion > Unipart back in the black Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 11

Unipart back in the black - Falkirk Bairn
Part of BL until 1987, chequered history including going bust but now Profitable again.

tinyurl.com/lwp25g9

I thought they were bust but they are alive and kicking.

Unipart back in the black - No FM2R
That's a coincidence.

In the back of a shed I just (yesterday afternoon) found loads of Unipart spares for an old MG 1300 I had briefly - bearings, clutch bits, brakes, filters and loads of other stuff all in original Unipart boxes - labelled in English, rather than Spanish.

I was just wondering what had happened to them and assumed that they'd gone.

Unipart back in the black - Alanovich
The barn find MG? Did it get crushed/scrapped? :-(
 Unipart back in the black - No FM2R
No, it changed barns. Its not mine anymore but the other bloke doesn't seem to be doing anything with it..

I feel quite sorry about it, and nostalgic for the car - especially fond memories of that engine. But there's no way I would use it, because nostalgia to one side, they were pretty rubbish cars at the time, never mind by today's standards.

It runs mind you, I drove it to the other barn. It doesn't brake though, it more takes the brake pedal as a suggestion and then slows down over time. 20mph was top whack as well, it got very wobbly at that point.
 Unipart back in the black - Mike Hannon
I only had one experience of Unipart. My Allegro (don't ask) had broken down in Hornchurch, 200 miles from home. So I went to the nearest Unipart shop and hanging there was a giant sign saying 'THE ANSWER IS YES - NOW WHAT'S THE QUESTION?'. I said 'Can I please have a top heater hose for an Allegro 1300? I think you can guess the answer...
 Unipart back in the black - Bromptonaut
Fingers in lots of pies. According to the signage they supply security for the site where my caravan is stored.
 Unipart back in the black - Armel Coussine
'Can I please have a top heater hose for an Allegro 1300? I think you can guess the answer...

You mean they didn't have some flexible hose of the right diameter for a proper bodge?
 Unipart back in the black - Skip
>> 'Can I please have a top heater hose for an Allegro 1300? I think you
>> can guess the answer...
>>
>> You mean they didn't have some flexible hose of the right diameter for a proper
>> bodge?
>>

I am going to make myself look a right sad git knowing this, but the top heater hose on a 1100/1300 Allegro had a different ID each end !!
 Unipart back in the black - Falkirk Bairn
In 2003, in the last 3 mths ofmy Honda Civic warranty the car was serviced and it was found there was ablow in the exhaust - new one fitted - made by the well known supplier Unipart.

The Link was obviously the Rover 200/400 series were joint venture that appeared as a Civic. Apart from exhausts, the car ate back boxes, it was 93K of almost trouble free motoring - the odd niggly repair but the car never left me stranded at the roadside.
 Unipart back in the black - Stuartli
I bought a Unipart car battery from Partco a few years ago. It turned out to be a re-badged Yuasa battery at a very keen price and did sterling service throughout the time I still had the vehicle.
 Unipart back in the black - Chas
You are confusing the Unipart Group with Unipart Automotive that was sold off out of the main group a while ago.

Unipart Automotive had been losing money for many years before it went bump last year.
 Unipart back in the black - Lygonos
Last purchases from Unipart in Edinburgh was a set of new rockers for a Triumph 2000 in 1989, and a front wheel bearing for a Maxi 1750 a couple of years later.

I also thought they had died in recent years.
Latest Forum Posts