Motoring Discussion > Scotlands speed cameras cost more than they make Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 5

Scotlands speed cameras cost more than they make - BobbyG
tinyurl.com/34f7qet

Interesting article saying that Scotland's speed cameras cost £6.5m per annum to operate but fines only raised £3.3m income.

Although you could argue that this may be proof that the cameras are preventing speeding, I would be very interested in seeing the breakdown of this £6.5m cost. The whole process must be very automated and how the cost can get to that figure I don't know.

Also, all the speed cameras are operated by Partnerships - I wonder if this includes the SPECS you see springing up at all roadworks... or maybe they are not real after all....
 Scotlands speed cameras cost more than they make - Bill Payer
Most of the cost is probably staff training and hospitality at meetings!

Nice work if you can get it.
 Scotlands speed cameras cost more than they make - R.P.
MCN reckon that the Safety Partnerships are for the chop next year.
 Scotlands speed cameras cost more than they make - Bellboy
good thing about the speed cameras in scotland (certainly the case last time i was there) was they gave good warning and more importantly every road was clearly marked with its speed limit,so although you may be in the middle of nowhere at least you knew the road was a 50 or whatever,try doing that in england or wales and you end up getting flashed
 Scotlands speed cameras cost more than they make - L'escargot
Operating costs will no doubt include installation and maintenance.
 Scotlands speed cameras cost more than they make - Skoda
Any holywood accounting involved?

E.g. A.N. Other group extracts themselves a profit from the budget but invoices it as services rendered. On paper it looks like the expenses exceed the gains, but pry below the surface and one or more of the "costs" are vastly over inflated and are just a method of transferring money out of the overall funds so that what's left over is a bit limp.
Latest Forum Posts