Motoring Discussion > Mr Umgonna Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 24

Mr Umgonna - Runfer D'Hills
Mr Umgonna - That part of your brain which makes plans without first checking with the other part of your cerebral mass which deals with practicalities, budgets and the realities of life.

For example - "Umgonna have a TVR Cerbera one day"

Mr Umgonna talked me into buying a Westfield once, not just any Westfield mind but a "project" aka a shed which had to be almost totally re-built and cost twice as much as first intended. Glad he did though, he was right on that occasion. Mr Umgonna also persuaded me to have a Volvo 850 T5. Totally daft but he had a point there too. He is not though, without his failings, he once convinced me to sign up to an Espace, jeez was that one of his off days.

I suspect most car buffs have a Mr Umgonna. What were / are your wee man's best and worst moments?.........
 Mr Umgonna - Dog
I hereby confess to the odd flirtation with Mr Umbongo but ... considering I've had access to a fair amount of the green folding stuff in my time and driven cars such as Stingrays, Camaro's, Firebirds, Mustangs Lotus, Jensen etc., etc., etc., I must actually be more down to Earth (car wise) than some folk give me credit for ...
I suppose my worst dalliance with Mr Umbongo was when I bought a brand spanking new Citroen BX 16TRS auto in white with blue tweed upholstery - I absolutely hated the thing and sold it to a Jew in North London within 6 months at a good loss.
 Mr Umgonna - MD
My life, you must be joking!
 Mr Umgonna - rtj70
I am glad I don't have a Mr Umgonna in my head. I sold a house and have a lot of cash... to buy the next home. Lucky the new Ferrari has a three year waiting list.... but that would make me unpopular with my wife too.

tinyurl.com/Ferrari-458-Italia-2010
Last edited by: welshy on Sun 28 Feb 10 at 20:17
 Mr Umgonna - Robin O'Reliant
>> I am glad I don't have a Mr Umgonna in my head. I sold a
>> house and have a lot of cash... to buy the next home. Lucky the new
>> Ferrari has a three year waiting list.... but that would make me unpopular with my
>> wife too.
>>
Wouldn't really suit you welshy, that tinted rear window would hide the flat cap on the parcel shelf.
 Mr Umgonna - rtj70
Very good point Robin Regal. I will strike it off.

As part of a VW marketing campaign, when I had a Passat, they did send some driving gloves. An in joke with colleagues when I got one, that is needed some driving gloves.

Shame about the Ferrari though ;-) What about an Aston Martin Rapide? Is that better for me? or two V8s Vantages - one for each hat.

EDIT: And that was hat and not HAT.
Last edited by: welshy on Sun 28 Feb 10 at 20:33
 Mr Umgonna - -
Mr U was making noises again this weekend, sort of BMW Oxford Green rapid comfortable noises.

however, having opened the gas and electric bills, realising our gas bills are getting ludicrous which probably means a new boiler as we're heating the atmosphere, my 'club' for want of a better term needs vast funds pronto, my MB indy will finally have to get my bill together from last March!!!, one fence needs replacing and assorted other things mean Mr U will just have to shut up for another year.

Wish i'd gone for that Oxford Green with tan/wood interior 03 E39 M5 2 years ago at the BM dealer approved used, priced at 13K IIRC, fetching more than that now same year more mileage...boat well and truly missed again....do shut up Umgonna.
 Mr Umgonna - R.P.
Mr Umgonna's suggestions keep me alive...
He keeps whispering to me about 530d tourings, ST220 estates and Alfa 159 sportwagons. I don't need any of them but he won't shut up. If I defy him he gets even sneakier and starts on about how cheaply XKRs can be bought now and how sensible it would be to invest in what must surely be an appreciating classic. He has proven to me time without number that while he is occasionally inspired he is often quite wrong but he's a persistant and worryingly persuasive sort of guy.

Umgonna ignore him for now......
 Mr Umgonna - BobbyG
Mr Umgonna has a nasty habit of convincing me that it is best to change my cars at 3 years old. Which I definitely won't pay any attention to this time when my current car hits 3 year old in June. On 20th June.

It really is cheaper to change than go through the trials and tribulations of the first MOT isn't it.......
 Mr Umgonna - R.P.
Humph you're as bad as that your namesake Bridge
 Mr Umgonna - Ted
I've got a good friend with a Cerbera....Not keen on that type of car meself......willy extension !
Mr Urmgonna's deserted me now. Retirement brought on a satisfaction with what I've got, although I have the financial security to get something more fancy now.
I'm quite happy with the 14 yr old Vitara...it does all I want. If it died I'd just get another...maybe a bit newer. Trying to avoid all the DMF/ECU/MFI rubbish, although the Note has some incomprehensible gubbins on it ! Mr Urmgonna's going to get me some new gates on the drive soon, ( before he leaves completely ) rather than make my own.

Ted
 Mr Umgonna - oldnotbold
He's told me to get a RR or a Bentley, but I've told him he has to give me a full set of winning lottery numbers first.
My Mr Umgonna is much more subtle than that. He only tempts me with things I could buy if I chose. He's given up on supercars etc. He still comes up with some really daft ones though.
 Mr Umgonna - Fenlander
Hmmm my Mr Umgonna is crafty only targetting things I might afford like yours Humph.

I was pretty sure to replace my £1500 Mondeo with a £6k Mondeo or similar until I was drawn to that oh so colourful website where Mr Umgonna pointed out the C5 Tourer.

What clinched it was Mrs Whynotifyouwanone looking at the screen over my shoulder.

You never turn that down do you.
I was half thinking of having a look there for Mrs H's new 'un. I don't scare easily but I'm frightened to go there !
 Mr Umgonna - Fenlander
All joking apart Humph I've had 30yrs of buying/funding in the usual ways (mostly used/cash) but when I dropped across the magic garden I was amazed just how much it suited what we wanted to do with vehicles/finances for a few years.
 Mr Umgonna - rtj70
You will need dark glasses if you venture there Humph. But be brave.
I've already got a slightly potty woman with calls on my finances. One's enough thanks !
 Mr Umgonna - Bazzabear
Mr Umgonna does quite well here, although there are elements of this being due to his staying fairly realistic.

He demanded and got a Fiat Coupe 20VT, and having demonstrated that he was right about that one, he went a bit further and suggested an Alfa GTA, which is a similarly cracking car.

He was getting pretty close to convincing me that a TVR Chimaera was a good idea too, but then Mrs Umgonna stepped in and vetoed it with her suggestion - a baby.
Last edited by: Bazzabear on Mon 1 Mar 10 at 20:11
 Mr Umgonna - Zero
Have Mrs Whyda Wanna Dodat to contend with.
 Mr Umgonna - Avant
Trouble is, it works both ways.

Two years ago, Umgonna have a fun car - and with SWMBO's full support, Umwent out and got the Z3.

But....umgonna flog it in the summer to pay for younger daughter's wedding.
Wondered where you'd got to !
 Mr Umgonna - Avant
3 weeks' holiday in South Africa - blissful. Back early this morning.

Believe it or not, the police found my Octavia - in Birmingham.... Now with bodyshop in sunny Basingstoke as it's apparently scratched down one side but otherwise in one piece. Courtesy car - oh Joy - an automatic 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa.

PS - Many thanks to the public-spirited people who set this forum (sorry, 4um) up. Good to be among friends.
Last edited by: Avant on Mon 1 Mar 10 at 21:09

>> Courtesy car - oh Joy - an automatic 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa.

Rockin' !

Good news about the Skoda though, maybe.

Sometimes when a car has been stolen I'd rather it stayed stolen. However, if it's not too mucked about then fair enough.
Latest Forum Posts