Motoring Discussion > Front towballs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 7

Front towballs - Bobby
At various times I have seen heavier duty 4x4s like Defenders etc that have a towball at the front of the vehicle.

What would a heavy 4x4 like this be able to do front ways that it couldn't do by reversing?

Secondly, why are the front towballs always offset ( I am thinking always to the passenger side but couldn't be certain). Is this to let the driver see down the side of the vehicle it is pushing?
 Front towballs - Manatee
Had one on my series 3; there's no doubt that it makes manoeuvring easier when shoving the trailer. Yes the offset is so you can see where you are going.
 Front towballs - No FM2R
I also have a tow bar which has tow ball sockets at both ends.

Also, when getting into tight places it can be useful to go in frontways with increased visibility and then to be able to watch the other vehicle's movement as you pull it out.
 Front towballs - sooty123
As above it's much easier especially if what you are towing isn't rigid. IE when the body is similar to that of a car and the front axle pivots.

Not seen them offset, all the ones I've driven/seen are dead centre.
 Front towballs - zippy
A towball on the front of a car could do serious damage to another vehicle or worse to a pedestrian!

Are they allowed under permitted use?
 Front towballs - sooty123
Many are fitted with them and winches etc, I don't see why not.
 Front towballs - Cliff Pope
As said, easier manoeuvring into tight spaces from the steered end of the vehicle.

An offset towball will have a stronger attachment, at the dumbiron. A centre ball needs the bumper reinforcing.

Serious towers sometimes have two at the front.
 Front towballs - Mapmaker
I'm just off to have one fitted at the front too. That'll stop the beggars from smashing my bumpers.
Latest Forum Posts