Motoring Discussion > Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: R40 Replies: 42

Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - R40
With added Nitrogen!

Was impressed with the service I had yesterday at Costco MK , despite delays due to a money back offer. I stood and watched for much of the time; real care taken brushing out and cleaning up the discs and hubs, sorted the TPMS and courteous and professional at all times. Plus a £70 shopping voucher.......

4 x Michelin Pilot Sports 3. Quite quiet compared to the old Yokohamas, no more savage tram lining esp in the wet, and a good price with no added extras to surprise. 245 45 R18's onto the Lexus 450

But do Nitrogen filled tyres offer anything substantial as a benefit? Have not had before so reports/advice welcome..........

Cheers

R
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - PeterS
Isn't air about 80% nitrogen anyway? Can't imagine that 100% nitrogen will make that much difference, assuming that Costco can even guarantee the tyre is filled completely with pure nitrogen in the first place...

Oh, and the Continentals that were fitted to mine recently seem far quieter than the Goodyear's it was fitted with with before.
Last edited by: PeterS on Sun 17 May 15 at 22:05
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - WillDeBeest
We've been round that block a few times lately, but in practice I doubt you'll notice, especially if you keep topping them up with oxygenated nitrogen.

With you on Michelin, though. Since I can't do any kind of meaningful testing, I just put Michelins on my cars; I've never noticed them make the car feel worse, and in some cases (as when replacing the Pirelli P6000s on the Volvo) the improvement has been startling. Generally last better than the other makes too.
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - Slightlyfatdirector
>>>With you on Michelin, though. Since I can't do any kind of meaningful testing, I just put Michelins on my cars; I've never noticed them make the car feel worse, and in some cases (as when replacing the Pirelli P6000s on the Volvo) the improvement has been startling. Generally last better than the other makes too

+1
Astounding difference on my S60 changing from Pirellis to Michelin HP Primacys. Got 2 1/2 times the mileage, and better grip, road comfort and a dramatic improvement in how quiet the car was inside.
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - henry k
>> Astounding difference on my S60 changing from Pirellis to Michelin HP Primacys.
>>........ and a dramatic improvement in how quiet the car was inside.
>>
I have finally got rid of the last pair of Pirellis fof Kumhos.
I am delighted with the very quiet ride compared with the very noisy Pirellis.
My 98 MK II Mondeo was quieter on Kumhos than the X type on Pirellis.
My new noise complaint ? l can now hear the wind noise around the door mirror :-(
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - Bill Payer

>> But do Nitrogen filled tyres offer anything substantial as a benefit? Have not had before
>> so reports/advice welcome..........
>>

Allegedly tyres filled with nitrogen hold their pressure better (as the nitrogen molecules are bigger, or something).

But then I was always told Michelin tyres were renowned for holding their pressure.

With the two combined, you surely must be on to a winner!
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - Manatee
Costco started selling Goodyear too, a while back, having sold exclusively Michelin previously. But they now seem to be expensive, and the regular offer isn't as good - it used to be 20% off four new tyres, now it's a discount voucher of a value related to the tyre size, and certainly for what I need it's for a lower amount.
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - Shiny
It's not even pure nitrogen it's about 95% just compressed air with some oxygen removed with molecular sieves...
Manatee

"Costco started selling Goodyear too, a while back, having sold exclusively Michelin previously. But they now seem to be expensive, and the regular offer isn't as good - it used to be 20% off four new tyres, now it's a discount voucher of a value related to the tyre size, and certainly for what I need it's for a lower amount."

Yes their offers have changed a lot over the years. Still, I paid a total of £127 per corner, plus got the discount voucher. Comparing price of Pilot Sports 3 of same size elsewhere it looked to me a good deal. The only other tyres Costco had available on the day were Bridgestones but a bit too noisy, tho' cost less.

Cheers

R

p.s. still yet to get the pesky quote system right.......
Last edited by: R40 on Tue 19 May 15 at 13:17
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - Focusless
>> p.s. still yet to get the pesky quote system right.......

1. Click on 'Reply to this message'.
2. Click on 'Quote Original Message'.
3. Acknowledge the prompt about not over-quoting.
3. Delete excess quote or mod VxFan (aka Dave) will slap your wrist.
4. Add your reply under the quote.

Should work...
doh! thanks, much appreciated

R
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - Focusless
thanks for not pointing out my inability to count to 5 :)
Could we have a Cancel button for the Quote mechanism? I very seldom want to use it but occasionally catch it by mistake, whereupon my words get covered in a big heap of someone else's - which are never as good - and I have to pick them all out like bits of celery out of a Waldorf salad. Much easier just to press Cancel and get on with what I meant to do.
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - No FM2R
>>Could we have a Cancel button for the Quote mechanism?

We already do. Ctrl-Z.

Actually it will step back through any editing.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 19 May 15 at 17:53
Ah. My iPhone keyboard has a Z but not a Ctrl.
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - Stuartli
>> Ah. My iPhone keyboard has a Z but not a Ctrl. >>

Then you are out of Ctrl. New tyres might cure it...:-) Try Continental S3s...!!
>> Ah. My iPhone keyboard has a Z but not a Ctrl.

www.zdnet.com/article/10-portable-keyboards-for-iphone-ipad-and-android/

or maybe this will work...

www.lenashore.com/2011/09/undo-on-the-ipad-iphon/
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 19 May 15 at 18:01
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - VxFan
>> Ah. My iPhone keyboard has a Z but not a Ctrl.

1. Hold you iPhone firmly in one hand.
2. Shake it.
3. Tap the Undo button to confirm.
4. You're done!

www.imore.com/daily-tip-undo-typing-deleting-cutting-pasting-iphone
>> >> Ah. My iPhone keyboard has a Z but not a Ctrl.
>>
>> 1. Hold you iPhone firmly in one hand.
>> 2. Shake it.
>> 3. Tap the Undo button to confirm.
>> 4. You're done!
>>
>> www.imore.com/daily-tip-undo-typing-deleting-cutting-pasting-iphone
>>

I did wonder about that as the iPhone equivalent to Ctrl-Z, and I've used it for undoing typing, deletions and inadvertent pastes, but I couldn't make it do this - as you can see.
Thanks all the same.
>> But they
>> now seem to be expensive, and the regular offer isn't as good - it used
>> to be 20% off four new tyres, now it's a discount voucher of a value
>> related to the tyre size, and certainly for what I need it's for a lower
>> amount.
>>

Yes, I agree. On Michelin they were always cheaper than anyone else as standard, and then the 20% off periods obvioulsy made them way cheaper.

Now I can beat their pricing easily and, especially on "normal" sizes, the vouchers offered instead of discount aren't worth much.

At one time I was buying all the family tyres at Costco, now I haven't bought from them for some years.
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - Duncan
>>
>> At one time I was buying all the family tyres at Costco, now I haven't
>> bought from them for some years.
>>

Costco are opening a new warehouse fairly near me at Sunbury.

Is it worth joining?

For individuals it seem to be pitched at the professions, or employees/former employees of 'gold' companies. Why so?
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - sooty123
I thought about joining but the nearest one is too far away. It's near 100 mile round trip.

Part of their targeted market, it doesn't suit them to open up to the public. Many trade warehouses are the same, or maybe just to keep the oiks out.
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - PeterS
I think also it's a planning issue, or at least factor. As they are 'clubs' they don't fall in the same retail classification as supermarkets and the like. At least I'm sure that used to be the case...
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - Alanovich
There's no point in Costco membership for ordinary folks and small families. You have to buy everything (food/non-food gorceries I'm talking about here) in such bulk quantities that it makes it difficult to store in an average home, and it only brings the cost per unit down to Aldi/Lidl levels anyway.

I was a member for a year, didn't renew. Pointless.

Meh.
You mean you don't need 500 bog rolls at home?

;)

Mind you if it's not that cheap, they've done very well out of it.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Wed 24 Jun 15 at 10:03
I think people just like going there to pretend to be American. Extra large parking places for all the Nissan Pathfinders it seems to attract. Chinos and button-down collar check shirts dominate the clothing section.
Maybe, i think it's well thought out. The membership will make people want to come back to get some valve from it. The certain groups thing may appeal to some, like they are getting a bargain only a few can get.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Wed 24 Jun 15 at 10:31
>> people want to come
>> back to get some valve from it.

Only the tyre department.
Ruddy auto correct!
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - Zero
you were screwed
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - Bobby
Costco for us is

a. browse to see if anything catches the eye, it very rarely does
b. tattie scones
c. birthday cakes (when needed)
d. Big pizzas - yummy
e. Hot Dogs, proper ones
f. Bulk pack of bottled water
g. Bulk toilet roll
h. Tins of chopped tomatoes

and of course a hot dog or chicken slice to eat when finished the shopping.

Their meat is very dear, their clothes dear and their electricals are really nothing to shout out about.

>> f. Bulk pack of bottled water
>> g. Bulk toilet roll
>> h. Tins of chopped tomatoes
>>
>

How many do you buy and how much cheaper than the supermarkets?
Let's see if he can beat:

Lidl toms 31p

www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/household-bills/10245837/Tinned-tomatoes-which-offer-best-value-for-money.html

Lidl loo roll x 24 £6.99

www.hotukdeals.com/deals/cushelle-toilet-rolls-24-xxl-pack-6-99-lidl-1187081

Lidl bottled water 2l 17p - no link, that's what it was last time I looked. Or free/£negligible from out of off of a tap.

Last edited by: Alanović on Wed 24 Jun 15 at 13:29
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - Dieselboy
"out of off of"?

What sort of language is that? ;-)

I was a member of Costco but didn't renew - as cheap or cheaper deals to be had at the likes of Home Bargains and B&M Bargains, or Aldi/Lidl.
>> "out of off of"?
>>
>> What sort of language is that? ;-)

It's the sort of language they use in Viz, and it amuses me.
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - Dieselboy
Right you are. "Off of", thankfully, seems to be a Southern thing. Dragged across from American English apparently.
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - Bobby
Think the tomatoes are about 30p, and the water 10p for the 500ml bottles.

But I don't go to save money as such, just convenience
>> Think the tomatoes are about 30p, and the water 10p for the 500ml bottles.
>>
>> But I don't go to save money as such, just convenience

Sounds like water's twice the price then.

Bobby, genuinely not trying to argue or be a S********, but why is Costco more convenient than, for example, Lidl? Lidl's smaller, quicker and easier to get round, and easier to park near the entrance.
>> Their meat is very dear,

We eat a lot (too much) steak and tried local butcher / farm shop / various supermarkets etc, but Costco's is always the best.

I think the 'buying in bulk' thing is a bit over-done - a lot of stuff is in fairly ordinary packs.

Biggest snag is you buy stuff you didn't know you needed so there's no way going there saves you money!

Biggest advantage is everything they sell is good quality - they used to effectively guarantee eveything they sell for ever - you can return it without question, however they stopped that on TVs etc as people were taking the mick.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Fri 26 Jun 15 at 22:49
>>>> Their meat is very dear,

So's their venison.
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - VxFan
>> So's their venison.

www.badum-tish.com/
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - sherlock47
Bought 2 Michelins at CostCo today. Arrived home to find promo leaflet offering £50 off for 4 from 29th of June!

Price was comparable with Black Circles and £11 per tyre cheaper than Asda.
 Michelin Pilot Sports x 4 at Costco yesterday..... - Zero

>> Costco are opening a new warehouse fairly near me at Sunbury.
>>
>> Is it worth joining?
>>
>> For individuals it seem to be pitched at the professions, or employees/former employees of 'gold'
>> companies. Why so?

Opening in August, they were on a "signing up membership" spree at the hospital where Mistress Z works, and offering a 20 quid discount voucher, so sign up and 1 year membership fee was in effect only a Cockle. So she belled me and I told her to go for it, and we will try it for a year.
Latest Forum Posts