Motoring Discussion > Segway rider prosecuted. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 38

Segway rider prosecuted. - FotheringtonTomas
bit.ly/djLPos

Charged with "riding a motor vehicle" - what is the specification of these things (power, top speed)? They cannot, apparently, be classed as "bicycles", which is the obvious thing, so allowing them to be ridden on the road, as they can't be pedalled. They have no lights or indicators either (although bicycles do not necessarily require such). A bit of a problem for those who want to use them!
 Segway rider prosecuted. - commerdriver
Immense fun to ride, we had a session on some on Jersey a couple of years ago, top speed of the ones we rode was about 12 mph from what I remember, so a bit faster than disability scooters.

Can't really see a practical use for them, a bit quick for a crowded pavement and not really suitable for road use but definitely a fun purchase when the lottery numbers come up.
 Segway rider prosecuted. - henry k
The only time I have seen one in use in the UK was on the tow path along side the Thames at Kingston.
I was cetainly startled at the speed that this guy came up on me from behind and he continued to weave through other pedestrians.
It appeared to be far more agile than a bike so was able keep up a higher speed.
I was not amused and would be concerned that they are IMO more dangerous than the average bike. The usual story It is the rider not the equipment.
 Segway rider prosecuted. - CGNorwich
Pavements are dangerous enough already. Pedestrians already have to cope with bikes, fat people on disability scooters, skate boards roller blades and illegally parked cars. Segways are basically toys and if the owners want to play with them they should play on private land. What's's wrong with walking if you want to get from A to B?
 Segway rider prosecuted. - hobby
>> fat people on
>> disability scooters,

Interesting that the link in the OP showed two fat people on segways... wonder if there's a connection!
 Segway rider prosecuted. - Harleyman
>> >> fat people on
>> >> disability scooters,
>>
>> Interesting that the link in the OP showed two fat people on segways... wonder if
>> there's a connection!
>>

Try "too idle to walk". ;-)
 Segway rider prosecuted. - L'escargot
>> What's's
>> wrong with walking if you want to get from A to B?
>>

Not everyone has the necessary physical ability.
 Segway rider prosecuted. - BobbyG
So instead of Segway launching this product, talking to the authorities and getting agreement on its classification we are now going to have a lengthy process through the courts at an enormous expense no doubt.

At least the lawyers will be lining their pockets
 Segway rider prosecuted. - Tigger
The perfect use for them seems to be guided tours - the tour can move from location to location quickly. I think Chicago does them
 Segway rider prosecuted. - Skoda
Jeezo. Slap the police who pursued this, kick the prosecutors who ok'd it to go to trial and hope the mag gives them all what's for.
 Segway rider prosecuted. - Old Navy
I have seen them used by security staff in big shopping malls in the USA. They seem to use them safely in crowded areas. I'm surprised the shoppers don't put their toes in front of the wheels to sue the company. :-)
 Segway rider prosecuted. - Zero
Seen the police in Rome using them.
 Segway rider prosecuted. - rtj70
I saw the Police in Florence use them and chase after someone. Okay the Segway was quick but had the person stepped off the kerb at the railway station they couldn't follow ;-) It was quite funny to watch.
 Segway rider prosecuted. - R.P.
Police somewhere in the UK have flirted with them, I'll try and find a link...

www.segway-uk.net/Segway_Models_and_Accessory_Price_list.html

Their site offers a Police pack (wonder if that's a Taser turret ?)
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 13 Jul 10 at 21:09
 Segway rider prosecuted. - Runfer D'Hills
Hmmm..... can you get interceptor Segways ?
the ones in rome were painted in fancy police blue and white stripes.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-499602/Bobbies-beat-Segway-scooters-save-shoe-leather.html

I didn't read it there honest !
I think MLC will stick to his Jag XF company car. I can't see him picking the flies out of his teeth in lane three of the M5.
 Segway rider prosecuted. - Runfer D'Hills
What I wouldn't give to see that though ! This PM I was that way bound. Raining cats and dogs, heavy traffic on the upper reaches of the M5 behaving badly. Would've been a treat to be overtaken by a Segway on full blues and twos.......Wonder if the rider would just have shout "nee naw nee naw" to save weight ?
(Police on Segway machines)

How so, if these things are not allowed on roads and paths in public places?
in other countries they are
PU's links indicated their use in the UK, where they are not allowed.
that article is three years old, so I assume the realised they were not legal.
 Segway rider prosecuted. - Armel Coussine
>> Seen the police in Rome using them.

How are the mighty fallen... where all dem Alfa Romeo and ting? Raaaaas!.....
Always fancied myself as the Mekon... nearest thing to his fairy bike.... how far do they go on a charge though? And how do you steer them? I believe making them go and stop is intuitive, but how do they steer?

20 mph eh? You could arrest mimsers a'gogo with one. 5 grand sounds a bit steep though.
>>but how do they steer?
>>
Turn the handlebars.
>> Turn the handlebars.

OK, but what happens then?
>> >> Turn the handlebars.
>>
>> OK, but what happens then?

It turns.
>> It turns.

Yeah, just like a car when you turn the steering wheel.

OK, check.

But how does it turn exactly? a clutch on one wheel and a brake on the other, like a tank you mean?

Obviously if I want to be the Mekon I'll need to cultivate a few Treens. These humans are utter carp.
 Segway rider prosecuted. - VxFan
>> but how do they steer?

www.howstuffworks.com/ginger.htm

"To move forward or backward on the Segway, the rider just leans slightly forward or backward. To turn left or right, the rider turns the right handlebar forward or backward."

videos.howstuffworks.com/howstuffworks/186-how-segway-works-video.htm

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 14 Jul 10 at 00:39
 Segway rider prosecuted. - hobby
>> You could arrest mimsers a'gogo with one.

Wonder how you get them back to the nick, though...
I was thinking of Chariots as well !
 Segway rider prosecuted. - Bill Payer
The Police don't always know the law. Merseeyside Police had to ground their remote control hovering camera thing as it turned out they should have had a CAA licence for it.
 Segway rider prosecuted. - Ted

Indeed Bill. Report in the Manchester Evening News tonight about an Italian, resident here, who's had his car seized for driving on Italian licence.
Police have apologised and refunded his £150 impound fee, etc.

Ted
 Segway rider prosecuted. - DP
The Segway is a Sinclair C5 for the 21st century. Cool, but ultimately pointless.

Had a go in a C5 a good few years back on the Isle of Wight. Some enterprising chap had half a dozen or so of them on a small kart track and was charging a couple of quid for a few laps. It had to be done. Thoroughly enjoyed myself.
 Segway rider prosecuted. - Iffy
I went to the launch event at Alexandra Palace in London in 1980-something.

The motor, we were told, was made by Hotpoint in South Wales, and I recall some cheap and cheerful accessories.

There were a couple of plastic sheets offered as wind and rain protection, and a light or reflector on a stick to aid visibility for lorries.

Can anyone remember the price? - £395 or £495 rings a bell, but I could be wrong about that.

Segway rider prosecuted. - CGNorwich
Even more pointless than the outdoor model

holykaw.alltop.com/segway-office-chair-video
 Segway rider prosecuted. - IJWS14
For anyone interested in the technology there is a book "Project Ginger" by Steve Kemper which describes its development, original idea was to be a stair climbing wheelchair that would not tip over.

Some very rich and influential US backers of the product.
 Segway rider prosecuted. - Focusless
>> Can anyone remember the price? - £395 or £495 rings a bell, but I could
>> be wrong about that.

"It sold for £399 plus £29 for delivery."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_C5
Latest Forum Posts